India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2011
Compare
dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why nurses get to jump the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijnt View Post
I do agree that everyone needs doctors and nurses in sometime their lifetime and their work is no less valuable. But only hospitals staff nurses. All the companies need s/w engineers. Also a lot of companies, as someone else said, make s/w engineers work a lot of overtime without paying a dime extra. S/w engineering is also a profession where you are required to upgrade your skill constantly. So if you are on H1 stuck in the same position to get your GC, how much opportunity do you have to upgrade skills? Also for some people have waiting period of 8 years before they get GC. Their employer will use them like indentured servants, you know the guy doesnt want to find out after 6 years of overtime and crap that a nurse is required more and HIS visa will go to the nurse. I dont mind need based immigration but to me reducing a number of the guy who is already in queue does not make sense. If there is real shortage of nurses, then they could have legislated a separate quota in addition to 140K. Also if nurses are being given priority based on existing number, then based on their skill why cant they be given work visas like H1/L1 and then made to wait in the queue?

I mean I get the argument that nurses are required. My question is why cant they wait in queue like everyone else?
The simple reason is that US needs nurses more than you or me. If there is sudden crisis like the y2k bug thing then there will be a sudden and urgent need of people like us only then will we be given better treatment. Suddenly there will be more H1Bs or bigger quota for GC etc. the only other way this is going to happen is if we organize ourselves such that we stop working in the status quo at the same time making sure that they cannot get others to replace us that easily. Once this GC thing actually gets so bad that people actually start leaving their jobs here and moving to other economies like EU or even India, China etc, in a substantial numbers and US actually sees a recession coming due to highly educated people leaving and helping their competitors.

Remember this technically US owes us nothing so we cannot demand any thing like faster processing or higher numbers, but that does not mean we cannot do any thing or we are at USCIS's mercy. We need to educate Politicians about how we are useful for this country how we help this country in growth etc. We should change our message from whining about how badly we are being treated to how they are loosing out by treating us so badly. Nobody cares about other people’s plight every one is selfish and we need to use that. Show then their advantage and then they will be interested.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote