United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default I did a lot of analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hianupam View Post
Mark,
Looks pretty cool. I am also in the energy industry. I support a electricity trading desk and can appreciate your concern about dependence on foreign energy specifically of the fossil fuel kind.
Did you do an economic audit of installing the system? The part of pennsylvania that I live in is going to be deregulated in 2010 and electricity prices are projected to go up 30-40%.
I wanted to do an analysis on payoff on the system.Can you share cost numbers of the system?
Hey you can also sell RECs (renewable energy credits). In NJ I just bought a bunch for $300/MW-yr.
Best,
Anupam
I did a lot of analysis. But payback was not my largest concern.
Payback heavily depends on what rebates are available, and tax situation, new construction or retrofit.

www.dsireusa.org -- for rebates
www.lishines.org -- info for Long Island (where I live).
www.openenergycorp.com -- manufacturer of the tiles I used.

Payback for traditional panels in an area with high electric costs (here about $0.20 / KWh) and good rebates is typically about 9 to 11 years. For building integrated the cost is significantly higher, and payback much longer.

Here are some sample costs:

Retrofit panels -- about $7.50 per watt professionally installed, about $5.50 to $6 per watt for materials. In California I've seen $10 quoted for prof install (which seems crazy to me).

Retrofit tiles -- more like $10 per watt and higher (I have seen $15). A lot of variables here, including cost of removing old roof surface, whether you subtract cost of a traditional new roof.

The system in the pictures is about 9KW.

Production varies by site, deduct about 20% to 30% for east or west facing compared with south facing (thus longer pay back). My largest system is west facing.

What do you assume for energy inflation? On Long Island 60% of electricity at power stations comes from burning oil.

Here are some sample rebates:
$3.50 per watt from my utility.
Up to $2000 from Fed gov per tax year in which qualifying equipment is installed (makes sense to install in stages to cover more than one tax year). This expires this year, but Democrats are trying to push through renewal.
Up to $5000 from state (in NY), I think NJ may be more generous than NY.

At the most tax efficient end it is possible to install about 5KW and pay as little as $7000, and half your electric bill for average house (generate about 5000KWh per year roughly depending on location). That would require a DIY install, and installing 2.5KW in tax year 1, and 2.5KW in tax year 2. It would pay back in as little as 5 or 6 years, and then give a return on investment of about 15% for the next 20 years.

Let's just say that my system cost lot more, but my aim was not minimum cost, indeed I never really added up the total cost for my system. I designed it myself, and had numerous contractors do different parts of it. My aim was zero net energy usage.

For those who read this who are serious about installing solar power, or geothermal heating, my direct email is mbartosik at yahoo.com.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by mbartosik; 05-21-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote