India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Nevada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatel_17 View Post
I have purchased 4 firearms during my nonimmigrant status, including a handgun. Nonimmigrants can generally not own firearms in the US. Though, there is an exception to the law if you possess a valid hunting license and have resided in the US for more than 90 days. I took a hunting class, which was a prerequisite for the hunting license and also had very good firearm safety information.

For long-guns, you will need some paperwork before you go to the gunshop (utility bills from at least last 90 days, hunting license, Driver's license, your I-94 number). The background check will probably be delayed a day or two while FBI checks your immigration status. Your gun seller will call you when they get the ok.

For handguns, there may be additional paperwork. I had to apply for handgun permits with the local sheriff's office. The person you first deal with will probably be unaware of the exception for individuals with hunting licenses. You will probably need to take a copy of the law (ICE has a pamphlet on firearm laws for nonimmigrants, take a copy with you) and talk to a supervisor. Once you get the permit you take the permit and your DL to the gun seller plus all the paperwork I listed for long gun purchase. Let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck.
I have lived in Nevada before. I think in that state and many other western states (where guns laws are more liberal) you have to have passport, I-94 and utility bills proving you have lived in NV for 6 months. That's it. You don't need hunting license to get a gun license.

Here is the biggest irony:

IN order to own a gun, FBI needs only 2 days to check your background.

IN order to get 485 approved, FBI takes months or years to do a background check.

I guess green-card is a more lethal weapon than a handgun.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize winning physicist.
--------------------------------------------------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote