India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute
Post General Instructions for Filing AOS - contd.

Continued from previous post (Questions and Answers on How to file Adjustment Of Status)
11. Medical Examination Related to Form I-693:
Please go to USCIS website for detailed instructions for I-693. Medical examination is conducted via the USCIS approved physician who provides the medical report along with Form I-693 in a sealed envelope for each applicant. List of approved civil surgeons in your area can be found at https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor. Always call multiple clinics/Civil Surgeon offices and inquire about the associated fees ahead of time as the charges can significantly vary from Civil Surgeon to Civil Surgeon.

Tip: Almost everyone received immunizations during their childhood and should have a record that can be presented to the Civil Surgeon to potentially avoid repetitions of vaccinations and delay in the receipt of the completed report (not to mention incurring additional expense). This is especially true of the MMR (Measles Mumps and Rubella) vaccine which requires both an initial shot and a booster over a period of time to become effective. If you don’t have the immunizations record, you can ask your primary physician in your country of birth to provide a certified letter showing that the following immunizations were received as per the following schedule:
  • OPV: at birth, at 6 weeks, at 10 weeks, at 15 weeks
  • DTP: at 6 weeks, at 10 weeks, at 15 weeks
  • Tdap: at 8 weeks
  • MMR: at 9 months, at 15 months
  • Varicella: ask your parents if you had Chicken Pox as a child
You could take this certified letter to your local (U.S.) family physician and have him/her transfer this information on to your U.S. medical record files. Ask for a copy of the updated immunization schedule record from your family physician and provide it to the Civil Surgeon along with the certified letter. Additionally, a titer can also be conducted by your local (U.S.) family physician. A titer is a simple blood test that checks your immune status to the diseases or of vaccinations you may have received in the past. The results of this test can be used as additional proof of immunity, along with other documents and may be helpful in convincing the Civil Surgeon.

Please note that not all Civil Surgeons are willing to accept this proof and may still require you to take the vaccinations. Getting vaccinated at your local (U.S.) family physician is generally the cheapest option as it may be covered by your insurance.

Update: The vaccination schedule has changed over the years - in the 70s the vaccines mandated to be given at the time of birth and later were less in number compared to 80s/90s or nowadays. If you do some research you will find the history of vaccinations mandated in your country at the time of your birth. In most cases only the ones listed in this post will be required and others might be deemed "not medically appropriate" by the Civil Surgeon. You may ask your local PCP for advice before visiting the Civil Surgeon.

The final determination on immunizations is made by the Civil Surgeon based on multiple factors like your current health, date & country of birth.

If the Civil Surgeon determines that certain additional vaccinations are needed, you may get them either at the Civil Surgeon's clinic or wherever it might be cheaper. More details on vaccinations are available on page 7 on the instructions for I-693

Last edited by The Alchemist; 04-23-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote