India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future

I am under the impression that atleast in Illinois, the local law enforcement (police) CANNOT ask for the legal status or check any documents if it is a routine traffic stop or just pull you over and then ask for the documents. I know for a fact as this had become a big issue at one of the Chicago's northern suburbs recently and was in news for quite some time. There were two sections of citizens who wanted police to check and others (ACLU) argued that legal status was a federal jurisdiction and the local law enforcement were not authorized to check and violated the rights.

I think only ICE or CBP can ask that and how many of them are around in cities/ towns far away from the border?

I assume the same is true with other Police Depts.

Last edited by sdrblr; 09-12-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote