PDA

View Full Version : Stop, Think!!

aristotle
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone for making the flower campaign a huge success. When DOS released an updated bulletin and USCIS announced that it would not accept any applications in July, no major news outlets picked up this story. The idea behind the flower campaign was to gather media attention to our problem. I believe we have accomplished that quite well, thanks to the tireless efforts of english_august, nixstor.. and a lot of others who enthusiastically chipped in.

Now I am seeing this enthusiasm go slightly overboard. Not to discourage you guys, but sending food, sending flowers to more destinations is not going to accomplish much. It may in fact land you in BIG LEGAL TROUBLE. So, please beware before you take any foolish actions in this exuberant mood.

What can we do immediately to keep this going?

1) SUPPORT the rallies -> Lot of rallies are being organized across the nation. Support them or start one in your area if nothing is planned yet.

2) Use the media attention to contact Senators/Congress
I am sure most aides to Senators/Congressmen read the Washington Post/NY Times end to end. Our story would have made quite a splash in the Washington circles. It is time to contact Senators/Congressman to draw attention to our issues.
a) Allow July applications to be accepted
b) Recapture lost visa numbers
c) Investigate USCIS actions that led to this mess.

I want someone from IV core to come up with a concrete idea for (2), a concerted web fax effort would have far greater results.

United, we can make a difference. If we go off on our own and do our own things, we dont stand a chance.

Peace!

arrarrgee
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Some of the members were planning to send flowers to other places.:) ..its kinda overdoing it...the flower campaign i believe has run its course...we gotta do sth else..IV ne plans? awaiting ur inputs

First of all, thanks to everyone for making the flower campaign a huge success. When DOS released an updated bulletin and USCIS announced that it would not accept any applications in July, no major news outlets picked up this story. The idea behind the flower campaign was to gather media attention to our problem. I believe we have accomplished that quite well, thanks to the tireless efforts of english_august, nixstor.. and a lot of others who enthusiastically chipped in.

Now I am seeing this enthusiasm go slightly overboard. Not to discourage you guys, but sending food, sending flowers to more destinations is not going to accomplish much. It may in fact land you in BIG LEGAL TROUBLE. So, please beware before you take any foolish actions in this exuberant mood.

1) SUPPORT the rallies -> Lot of rallies are being organized across the nation. Support them or start one in your area if nothing is planned yet.

I am sure most aides to Senators/Congressmen read the Washington Post/NY Times end to end. Our story would have made quite a splash in the Washington circles. It is time to contact Senators/Congressman to draw attention to our issues.

I want someone from IV core to come up with a concrete idea for (2), a concerted web fax effort would have far greater results.

United, we can make a difference. If we go off on our own and do our own things, we dont stand a chance.

Peace!

fullerene
07-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Addition to Rally, we need to do something with lawmakers. I believe most of you have done it. But we need to organize it.

Create a new column for contacting lawmakers rally. Please write a letter / fax to your district Reps and senators and Report here. So every one only needs to write 3 or 4 letters in person. The core members may add more to key members of immigration committee on behalf of IV

I did and mailed them with very special color envelopes to draw attention followed by individuall phone call to the office staff in charge of immigration issues. I mentioned that my letter would come in a colored envelope.

conchshell
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
With a successful flower campaign to USCIS, we must draw our conclusions from this success, and use the outcome to make the San Jose rally a success.

Please note that legal immigrants is a small handful set of people. Just a usual rally/demonstration will not make a dramatic impact. We have learned from the flower campaign that if we use innovative-peaceful ways of demonstrations, and manage Public Relations and Media well, we can be successful once again.

Please think and try to come up with some ideas. I have come up with these four ideas:

1. Project Martin Luther King Jr. as our hero in these rallies: Please understand that local Amrican people better understand about Martin Luther King Jr. andhis idealogy then M.K. Gandhi. My suggestion is that we should include large picture posters of Martin Luther King Jr. with a slogan "We legals too have a dream". We should also take Gandhi's posters. There is a possibility that all Black American organization may lend their support to us.

2. An act that attracts media attention: Please remember the scene from Gandhi movie when protesters led by Gandhi peacefully burned their resident permits in South Africa. To do something similar and show our symbolic protest against USCIS, we can publically burn a Photocopy of our H1B approvals (I-797). Please note that we are not asking people to burn the original I-797 approval but a photocopy of the document. This will send a message that taking the great pain in obtaining these legal documents are not helping us getting a better treatment by USCIS. This act will perfectly portrey the pain of legal immigrants and once again will attract media and newsprint to keeps us in headlines. This should be part of our demonstrations.

3. Waive American Flags: Please understand that recent media reports that only Indians are responsible for the flower campaign may hurt the campaign in the longer term. Please waive small American flags and show our solidarity with local Americans.

4. Distrubute a flower with a pamphlet to the people passing by at the demonstration site. A well worded paper will be required that can project our problems to the people.

Please share if you come up with innovative ideas to make these rallies a huge success.

singhsa3
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Just spoke to my lawyer. Burning I-797 or copy of it may land us into legal troubles
With a successful flower campaign to USCIS, we must draw our conclusions from this success, and use the outcome to make the San Jose rally a success.

Please note that legal immigrants is a small handful set of people. Just a usual rally/demonstration will not make a dramatic impact. We have learned from the flower campaign that if we use innovative-peaceful ways of demonstrations, and manage Public Relations and Media well, we can be successful once again.

Please think and try to come up with some ideas. I have come up with these four ideas:

1. Project Martin Luther King Jr. as our hero in these rallies: Please understand that local Amrican people better understand about Martin Luther King Jr. andhis idealogy then M.K. Gandhi. My suggestion is that we should include large picture posters of Martin Luther King Jr. with a slogan "We legals too have a dream". We should also take Gandhi's posters. There is a possibility that all Black American organization may lend their support to us.

2. An act that attracts media attention: Please remember the scene from Gandhi movie when protesters led by Gandhi peacefully burned their resident permits in South Africa. To do something similar and show our symbolic protest against USCIS, we can publically burn a Photocopy of our H1B approvals (I-797). Please note that we are not asking people to burn the original I-797 approval but a photocopy of the document. This will send a message that taking the great pain in obtaining these legal documents are not helping us getting a better treatment by USCIS. This act will perfectly portrey the pain of legal immigrants and once again will attract media and newsprint to keeps us in headlines. This should be part of our demonstrations.

3. Waive American Flags: Please understand that recent media reports that only Indians are responsible for the flower campaign may hurt the campaign in the longer term. Please waive small American flags and show our solidarity with local Americans.

4. Distrubute a flower with a pamphlet to the people passing by at the demonstration site. A well worded paper will be required that can project our problems to the people.

Please share if you come up with innovative ideas to make these rallies a huge success.

test101
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I suggested this idea before. Organized blood drive donation protest. This idea could be sponsored by the red cross. We learned already from this flower campaign that we need to be more organized. This protest if we decide to do it will need lots of organization.

I heard people saying if you are from India you can not donate blood. That's not true. If you visited India recently you need 12 month before you can donate because of malaria exist in Indian. the red cross made this rule just to prevent the spread of malaria I contacted red cross and asked about it and that was their answer.

Why a blood drive?

Just like the flower campaign it's peaceful and human. As far as i know it has been done yet. The idea is unique and could draw much attention. I believe the media will cover this.

this idea is not to be done now.We do not need to over do it.it's just one of the ideas out there about the next action.

jackdaniels
07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
What about doing some group volunteer work? We are high skilled, and we can use our skills to do something good to the people that isn't.

Like the H1B nurses and doctors working helping homeless people. Or even STEM people collecting some stuff the soldiers in Iraq need.

I think it may show that we care for something besides us.

wellwishergc
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Well said, Aristotle!

Peace!

Aah_GC
07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Guys.. its good to get some attention but lets not overdo things here. Let "peace" be the driving factor behind our protests. Our motto is to throw light and attention on the inept immigration mechanisms in this country and our goal is to contribute to the American society by taking that leap to Green Card.

Let us earn the respect of this country and good will of the government.

johnamit
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Burning copies of I-797 shows ill behavior when we are showing that we are/want future citizen.
Send food could be good idea, and also if we can comeup in big number in DC rally we can arrange for Red Cross blood drive right there. But before we jump we need number of folks who will be in DC, willing to give blood, and haven't been to outside US in 12 months.

obviously
07-11-2007, 02:02 PM
There has been much discussion on what next steps we can consider to keep the discussion alive.

The flowers campaign was a peaceful, polite and pointed way to gain attention. News media tagged the MK Gandhi factor because that is a recognizable, credible and powerful 'brand' that readers can easily identify.

As a next step, continuing to send flowers, IMHO, will NOT detract from or diminish the mission-objectives.

Step 1, we reached USCIS to gain their attention. If as Steps 2 and 3, we send flowers to other constituents who are stakeholders in this discussion; it would CONTINUE THE THEME of highlighting our plight and pitiful conditions.

Who does not like receiving a bouquet of flowers? Of course, the messages would have be to be POLITE and DECENT. No sarcasm, rudeness or vitriolic outbursts.

MK Gandhi did not come up with new ideas all the time, for the sake of ideation.

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Also, I dont believe that sending peaceful messages is illegal.

If we do need 'new ideas',
- A giant greeting card with 1000 signatures delivered to the House and Senate
etc.

?etc?
________
WILDTITSXX cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/WILDTITSXX)

chanduy9
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
As I said FLOWER DAY is goining to be hit and it is now in the news...how about Fund rise to election campaign or for some troubled school districts/schools or for any good charity work may draw very good media and political atten, because we can't give blood (there is 12 months or 3 years restriction there with red cross I am not sure).
Fund rise for election campaign is LEGAL.

Total members 14248..here is my math
We can rise 14248*5 = $71240 which is very huge and big amount to school districts. We can choose monthly one school and send money to them with our concerns. I think they will talk about us.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Chandra.

gsc999
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I have posted this in response to this message on another thread. Posting here agaim:

Nah, we have better things to do than burn something.
Also, we don't want to add to the already hot weather in California and to global warming at large. We need cool ideas not hot headed remarks. I like the flower idea better.

DallasBlue
07-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I have posted this in response to this message on another thread. Posting here agaim:

Nah, we have better things to do than burn something.
Also, we don't want to add to the already hot weather in California and to global warming at large. We need cool ideas not hot headed remarks. I like the flower idea better.

How about Beer cans... just kidding.

conchshell
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
No probleam gsc999, my idea was to provoke people to think about what shall we do next. If we can come up with an idea that's catchy, peacefull and attacts media.... I am all for it.

DallasBlue
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
As I said FLOWER DAY is goining to be hit and it is now in the news...how about Fund rise to election campaign or for some troubled school districts/schools or for any good charity work may draw very good media and political atten, because we can't give blood (there is 12 months or 3 years restriction there with red cross I am not sure).
Fund rise for election campaign is LEGAL.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Chandra.

non-immigrants(foreigners) cannot contribute to election funds.

Charity, community service -- Yes !! .

RandyK
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree with this post.

amitjoey
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Addition to Rally, we need to do something with lawmakers. I believe most of you have done it. But we need to organize it.

Create a new column for contacting lawmakers rally. Please write a letter / fax to your district Reps and senators and Report here. So every one only needs to write 3 or 4 letters in person. The core members may add more to key members of immigration committee on behalf of IV

I did and mailed them with very special color envelopes to draw attention followed by individuall phone call to the office staff in charge of immigration issues. I mentioned that my letter would come in a colored envelope.

In the past, we have sent emails and webfaxes to senators only to get canned- pre typed responses.Recently, I have realised that senators favour written letters, posted (with postage stamp) especially if it comes from constituents from their state. Same with house reps. I have talked to my senator's staff and they have advised me to write a letter. The staff member said, letters are always read, and responded. Senator will send an inquiry to the appropriate agency. Again- LETTERS, not emails, or faxes.This will create an impact, if all of us write letters. I have written a letter about USCIS Visa- flip flop to my senators. I strongly suggest, that each one of you write a letter.

satishku_2000
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I would advise all the members to be very careful in their posts online and be respectful of the country and culture you want to be part of . I want to emphasise this because lot of american readers will visit IV because of the covergare in Washpost and NYtimes.

chanduy9
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
non-immigrants(foreigners) cannot contribute to election funds.

Charity, community service -- Yes !! .

When you file your taxes there is column for fund rise to president election fund.

I think ALL TAX PAYERS are LEGAL TO FUND RISE FOR PRESIDENT ELECTION.
If I am wrong correct me.

Just my 2 cents...

mheggade
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree, Flower campaign served its purpose of drawing media attention to the USCIS/DOS VB fiasco. Its better not to over do it.

DallasBlue
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
When you file your taxes there is column for fund rise to president election fund.

Just my 2 cents...

https://contribute.hillaryclinton.com/form.html?sc=1

see eligibility requirement 4.
"I am not a foreign national who lacks permanent resident status in the United States. "

logiclife
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Just my 2 cents...

That is a whole different thing. That is a question asking you that should the government pay for presidential campaigns(Public financing of campaigns). Its a question about GOVERNMENT paying them, not us and they are asking your opinion on that. It also says that it wont affect your refund or tax bill. What that means is that answering the question either ways does not change your refund or bill for taxes. It has nothing to do with your money.

Trust me on this one. Those who do not have green card cannot contribute to political campaigns, PACs (political action committee) and such things. Anything, any fund, PAC or org that has an effect on elections or election campaigns are off-limits to those who dont have either GC or citizenship.

Dont do it otherwise you will be in trouble. Also, if they find out, they will have to return the money to you.

chanduy9
07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
That is a whole different thing. That is a question asking you that should the government pay for presidential campaigns(Public financing of campaigns). Its a question about GOVERNMENT paying them, not us and they are asking your opinion on that. It also says that it wont affect your refund or tax bill. What that means is that answering the question either ways does not change your refund or bill for taxes. It has nothing to do with your money.

Trust me on this one. Those who do not have green card cannot contribute to political campaigns, PACs (political action committee) and such things. Anything, any fund, PAC or org that has an effect on elections or election campaigns are off-limits to those who dont have either GC or citizenship.

Dont do it otherwise you will be in trouble. Also, if they find out, they will have to return the money to you.

Then we have to give atten to school districts, do they have same limitations.

Just 2 cents.

DallasBlue
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM

LogicLife, we trust and stand behind you !! <:0)

simply put, "see you after getting your greencard with tons of contributions". Not even volunteer work is allowed without greencard for political campaigns.

diyashil
07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
http://mygov.governmentguide.com/mygov/issues/alert/?alertid=9979506&content_dir=ua_congressorg
Thanks
SB

diptam
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Man,
You could land in trouble because of asking peoples to burn I-797.... Even copies of 797 are accepted for all immigration purpose - its equally valuable
as original I-797.

Burning I-797 means you became illegal in this country ....

Your other peaceful protest idea's are good though - keep thinking (but logically please)

Thanks

Peace!

DallasBlue
07-11-2007, 02:40 PM
http://mygov.governmentguide.com/mygov/issues/alert/?alertid=9979506&content_dir=ua_congressorg
Thanks
SB

Strong words "Abuse of Power by DOS / USCIS." perhaps it is and so we sent getwell flowers.

saimrathi
07-11-2007, 02:41 PM
PLease dont contribute to the global warming by burning stuff... keep it peaceful.. protest cookies are a great idea..

diyashil
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
A Full page advertisement in leading news papers. We all can contribute for that.
Thanks
SB

Green_Print
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Guys,
Logiclife is right, we should not be acting for or on behalf of what can be construed as polictical. Remember, in the I-485 biographic questionnaire there was a question regarding political affiliations, I am not sure if its going to be detreimental if someone did have some sort of political affiliations, still I think it would be prudent to stay away.

diyashil
07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Below this page there is a link to initiate action and it sends email to the president

Strong words "Abuse of Power by DOS / USCIS." perhaps it is and so we sent getwell flowers.

rimco99
07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I suggested this idea before. Organized blood drive donation protest. This idea could be sponsored by the red cross. We learned already from this flower campaign that we need to be more organized. This protest if we decide to do it will need lots of organization.

I heard people saying if you are from India you can not donate blood. That's not true. If you visited India recently you need 12 month before you can donate because of malaria exist in Indian. the red cross made this rule just to prevent the spread of malaria I contacted red cross and asked about it and that was their answer.

Why a blood drive?

Just like the flower campaign it's peaceful and human. As far as i know it has been done yet. The idea is unique and could draw much attention. I believe the media will cover this.

this idea is not to be done now.We do not need to over do it.it's just one of the ideas out there about the next action.

Bad idea!!!. Come on dude flowers idea was good but donating blood is a ridiculous and childish idea

chanduy9
07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Bad idea!!!. Come on dude flowers idea was good but donating blood is a ridiculous and childish idea

Donating Blood is always good...dont say that childish idea...You can save some ones life man and it is very very big charity...

Thanks,
Chandra.

rimco99
07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Donating Blood is always good...dont say that childish idea...You can save some ones life man and it is very very big charity...

Thanks,
Chandra.

What I meant was donating blood for the purpose of drawing media attention is a seriously sick idea

test101
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
What I meant was donating blood for the purpose of drawing media attention is a seriously sick idea

You sent flower for media attention, you try to save a person life ... not to draw media attention only but to save lives. The fact that we protest in way that helping saving people's life is very uniqe.

You might just be surprised.

saimrathi
07-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Is Arnold Schwarzenegger pro-immigrants? Maybe he can be approached and have him be our spokesperson... Just him, not the party he represents or the post he holds...