PDA

View Full Version : What can and cannot be the "permanent solution"

averagedesi
07-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Here is an excerpt from the blogs of one immigration attorneys

I've been thinking about this so-called "permanent solution" and the speculation here and elsewhere and I don't think it will be the acceptance of adjustment applications without a priority date because that simply is not permitted under the Immigration and Nationality Act's Section 245(a):

(a)--Status as Person Admitted for Permanent Residence on Application and Eligibility for Immigrant Status

The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification under subparagraph (A)(iii), (A)(iv), (B)(ii), or (B)(iii) of section 204(a)(1) or may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if (1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment, (2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and (3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

Congress would have to change the law to allow for adjustments to be filed without a priority date being available. They are actually considering such a change as part of the SKIL Act introduced last year and this is something promoted by my friends Gary Endelman and Dinesh Shenoy in articles on the subject.

But that is not to say that there is not a solution that gets close to the same place. Perhaps offering interim benefits like an employment authorization document and advance parole without having the adjustment application filed might be a possibility. I don't believe there is a statutory bar to this

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2007/07/what-i-think-th.html

PS: If this is already discussed the moderators are free to merge it, chuck it

H1B-GC
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
The blog is an 'ancient' news in IV.This been discussed and discarded

banta4u
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Hee Hee - U think that a lawyer like Greg Siskind - doesn't make sense.....
I bet - he is on the money....

The only thing USCIS can do at it's own discretion is issue Public Notices / Memoranda....Nothing more

I am guessing they can only do is - take back their public notice of 485 rejecting in July....It was their call and they can take it back....Department of State never endorsed the idea....USCIS goofed up on the occassion and got DOS into it and did the 485 rejections....

acruix
07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.immigrantslist.org/page/petition/Chertoff

banta4u
07-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Looks like the PERMANENT SOLUTION was to allow all applicants to apply for AOS....but it's losing ground, it seems...

Looks like July 485 applications will be accepted soon....from the looks of it USCIS is admitting it's mistakes...

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/
>>>>>>>>>>>>

BATTLE TAKING PLACE AT CIS OVER PRECISE REMEDY IN THE VISA BULLETIN MESS
I have been reporting on plans for USCIS to make a major announcement today or Monday regarding fixing the mess created by USCIS' not quite valid claim to have fully processed all remaining cases for the fiscal year.

Apparently, there are multiple camps arguing for different solutions, according to more than one of my sources with at least one side arguing for providing interim work and travel benefits without a visa number being available (the "permanent" solution), another arguing for only accepting adjustment applications for July and other possibilities as well. The "permanent" solution camp has apparently lost some ground since yesterday.

An announcement today is still possible which might make sense given the holding up of publishing of the Visa Bulletin and the deadline imposed by Congresswoman Lofgren. But obviously USCIS has to decide what it wants to do, check the legality, then draft and release a press statement.

I'll update you as I learn more.

sanprabhu
07-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Here is an excerpt from the blogs of one immigration attorneys

I've been thinking about this so-called "permanent solution" and the speculation here and elsewhere and I don't think it will be the acceptance of adjustment applications without a priority date because that simply is not permitted under the Immigration and Nationality Act's Section 245(a):

(a)--Status as Person Admitted for Permanent Residence on Application and Eligibility for Immigrant Status

The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification under subparagraph (A)(iii), (A)(iv), (B)(ii), or (B)(iii) of section 204(a)(1) or may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if (1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment, (2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and (3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

Congress would have to change the law to allow for adjustments to be filed without a priority date being available. They are actually considering such a change as part of the SKIL Act introduced last year and this is something promoted by my friends Gary Endelman and Dinesh Shenoy in articles on the subject.

But that is not to say that there is not a solution that gets close to the same place. Perhaps offering interim benefits like an employment authorization document and advance parole without having the adjustment application filed might be a possibility. I don't believe there is a statutory bar to this

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2007/07/what-i-think-th.html

PS: If this is already discussed the moderators are free to merge it, chuck it

If the USCIS cannot accept I-485 applications if the visa number is not available then how can the DOS make the July VB current. Obiously they know that the number of visa slots are not enough for all the applicants.

TimeSaver
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Seems like it could be new August visa bulletin. With some cutoffs. but applications sent already will not be rejected. They won't be worked upon but wont be rejected.

camarasa
07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Why does everyone think it can only be something that the USCIS has the power/authority to act on by themselves. It's been almost two weeks since this fiasco started and they may have been meeting with the right people to put something together.

illinois_alum
07-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Why does everyone think it can only be something that the USCIS has the power/authority to act on by themselves. It's been almost two weeks since this fiasco started and they may have been meeting with the right people to put something together.
Because in the 2 weeks since - there has been no bill introduced in either the House or Senate. Moreover, the bill would have to be "debated" and then passed in both houses and then signed by Bush. After Bush signs it, it would come into effect after a certain time period.