PDA

View Full Version : Meet with Senator Schumer

newbie2020
06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I am thinking we should setup a meeting with Senator Schumer or atleast his staff involved in immigration. If we can get sufficient members from Newyork we can try scheduling a meeting with them in Newyork city. I am sure we should be having a lot of folks from the Tristate areas who can take a day off and attend. it generally takes between 3-4 weeks to setup an appointment which should give us ample amount of time to organize and confirm the members who are willing to attend.

Any thoughts

maverick_s39
06-30-2009, 11:11 AM
i am thinking of meeting the senator myself, 2 is better than 1 :), let me know if you need anything from me,

shukla77
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I am in. Let us see if we can do it in July? 3 is better than 2. Now, who is gonna say 4 is better than 3. :)

Cheers

ps57002
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I can join. In july, I'm off tuesdays. However if need be, I'll have to take a different day off.

shukla77
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Can we try for at least 10 people in the first batch. So far we have 4. 6 more to go.

windycloud
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I'd be happy to be part of it. What's our specific agenda?

shukla77
06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Windycloud.. I guess when we have close to 10 people, we can have brief conference call/meeting and narrow down on agenda items . Also once we have a team in place, we can ask IV for suggestion/direction.IMO all the state teams should follow standardized formats.

Any thoughts?

I'd be happy to be part of it. What's our specific agenda?

windycloud
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
IMO all the state teams should follow standardized formats.

Any thoughts?

I agree.

I think the IV's newly proposed agendas are a very good starting point.

Eliminate per country quotas
Increase over-all annual visa numbers to 450,000
Allow the recapture of 215,000 unused Employment Based (EB) visas numbers from previous years lost due to bureaucratic delays
Exempt Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) graduates of accredited U.S. colleges and universities from the visa cap
Exempt family members of EB immigrants from the visa cap
Exempt (current and future) homeowners from visa cap which also remedies the root cause of current economic woes by addressing the foreclosures and excess supply of homes on the market.

indiangcseeker
06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm from NJ and ready for this any day.

Please lets have a conference amongst us and roll out action plan. We can have it this long weekend , perhaps Sunday.

pappu
06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Great initiative.
Please talk to your state chapter leader for guidance in your confrence call. Once you get the appointment, contact us .

shukla77
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
This is some tough crowd..:) Only 6 so far.. Let us see if we can get up to 10 or more by end of the day today. Tomorrow we can have conference call..

Folks wake up....

shukla77
06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Pappu,
In your opinion do we have to be less than certain # of people when we go to meet in order for meeting to be effective?or More the better?

Great initiative.
Please talk to your state chapter leader for guidance in your confrence call. Once you get the appointment, contact us .

indiangcseeker
06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I've mailed NJ and NY state chapter leads. If we are 3-5 in count then that will suffice to convey the message and make a good presentation.

Lets have the call tomorrow. Senator Schumer might be back in Washington once the Summer recess is over by Mid-August.Hopefully we can call his office this week or early next for an appointment.

Thanks.

krishmunn
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I am not quite close to NY. So wil not be able to make it (I wish I could).

As for Agenda, shall we go baby steps --

First request for visa recapture which I believe can be done as administrative change (no law need to be passed)

Also, how about allowing to file 485/EAD/AP with an approved 140 even if PD is not current. It will be processed when PD is current. This is again an administrative change not requiring a change in law.

This will allow less fortunate like us to avail AC21 6 months after filing 485.

mpadapa
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Great initiative. Greatly appreciated if you could start the same discussion on the tri-state chapter yahoogroup. Certainly the chapter leads can guide and train folks who would be meeting the lawmaker. We need to present the IV proposals very clearly. Just few folks is good enough. Folks in NJ can schedule meeting with their lawmakers.

chanduv23
06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Great initiative. Greatly appreciated if you could start the same discussion on the tri-state chapter yahoogroup. Certainly the chapter leads can guide and train folks who would be meeting the lawmaker. We need to present the IV proposals very clearly. Just few folks is good enough. Folks in NJ can schedule meeting with their lawmakers.

Me and mpadapa and ps57002 and a few others have experience in doing this and we can help with this initiative.

Members can take lead and if you are not yet a part of State chapter, please join the state chapter.

I am a currently involved in things happening in my personal life and can not spend a lot of time on this but will guide members through this and will coordinate with core team.

It is very heartening to see chapter members coming up with such initiatives.

On another note - for a Senator, meeting their DC staff is more effective. But meeting with local staff can be a starting point.

If better organized - every district member can meet his/her congressman. If a congressman gets atleast 20 different groups to meet them in their district offices, they will understand that their constituents are facing this widespread problem. IV State chapter goal is to achieve something like this - Spread awareness at grassroot level.

Best wishes

sgupta029
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I am in for the meeting.

maverick_s39
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
bump

ras
06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
I am no way near new york. But this looks to be a great initiative. So bumping up for the greater good.

dummgelauft
06-30-2009, 07:13 PM
To the people who are taking this great step, please make sure you have a copy of the latest CIS Ombubsmans report with you. It explicitly states that "Absent Legslative relief, applicants from India will apen 10 years in waiting for their green cards"

maverick_s39
06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
good point, i think we have close to 10 people who are willing to meet the senator, whats the next step?

To the people who are taking this great step, please make sure you have a copy of the latest CIS Ombubsmans report with you. It explicitly states that "Absent Legslative relief, applicants from India will apen 10 years in waiting for their green cards"

optimist578
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Please count me in as well.

indiangcseeker
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Next Step would be to have our conference call and decide on the further course of action.

I know about the following site : FreeConference.com - Free Telephone Conference Call Service (http://www.freeconference.com/)

Chandu / Pappu: please advice if you are aware of another option. I'll mail you also.

Thanks.

gc_dega_gandhigiri
06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Let me know what needs to be done.

shukla77
06-30-2009, 09:57 PM
NY, NJ area is taking lead.. Thats nice. Hopefully other states follow.freeconference.com might work.If anyone has used anything else please suggest.Lets plan for something on wednesday or thursday.

vsbalaji
06-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Please sign me up as well for this initiative.

chanduv23
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Please sign me up as well for this initiative.

contact "indiangcseeker" - he is organizing this effort. Send him a private message.

Please join the state chapter for better coordination

chanduv23
07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Next Step would be to have our conference call and decide on the further course of action.

I know about the following site : FreeConference.com - Free Telephone Conference Call Service (http://www.freeconference.com/)

Chandu / Pappu: please advice if you are aware of another option. I'll mail you also.

Thanks.

I have emailed you the details - thanks for the excellent work and keep it up. You have taken the first step and I am sure everyone else will follow

indiangcseeker
07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks to Chanduv23, we have a conference call number available.:)

Please send me a message, I'll send the Conference Number and the access code. We can have the call on 1st July or on 2nd July at 9:30PM or 10PM, please let me know if it suits all.

We will have NJ/NY State Chapter Leads on the call. This is good effort by newbie2020 to try and set-up a meeting with Senator Schumer or his staff.

How many of us are Residents of New York? Will need your help to schedule the appointment.

This process is extremely important to all of us as we all know Senator Schumer will be playing a key role in bringing the much desired Immigration Reform. We MUST try for this meet.

I'll keep you posted on the developments.

Thanks.

indiangcseeker
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I've sent PMs and Mail messages to members on this thread for their confirmation on conference call. Hopefully we can have it today.

All: Please let me be aware - Thanks.

laborchic
07-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Folks,

If you have not yet joined the Tristate Chapter please do so now... Tell your colleagues, relatives, friends to do join the chapter. As mentioned by Chandu we can form small groups and meet the legislative staff over here locally and then into DC.

Hope to talk to more folks on tonights conf call.

shukla77
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
What is the number to call. I did not get any PM.
I've sent PMs and Mail messages to members on this thread for their confirmation on conference call. Hopefully we can have it today.

All: Please let me be aware - Thanks.

indiangcseeker
07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Sent you the details.

mbartosik
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Count me in. I've done lobby days before.

chanduv23
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Count me in. I've done lobby days before.

Here we go. The guru is here - and this is the best thing to happen. Thanks Mark for doing this.

waman.pandit
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I can be the part of the delegation too.

gc_peshwa
07-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Please count me in...starting with meeting local congressman. Who is organizing efforts from the Bay Area?

Green.Tech
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Bump.

indiangcseeker
07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
We had the conference call yesterday night and went very well. Will keep you all posted on the developments. If anyone else would like to be a part of it and please e-mail me.