PDA

View Full Version : Protest Rally in New York - From Times to City Hall

bayarea07
07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Please contribute your thoughts for a idea for a protest rally in NY.

bayarea07
07-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I agree completely, we should have a rally in NY, as its bound to get more media coverage.

singhsa3
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I am game for it but hold on for couple of days. There are few things which are brewing
I agree completely, we should have a rally in NY, as its bound to get more media coverage.

Canadianindian
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
I am game for it but hold on for couple of days. There are few things which are brewing

I agree, I am for it too, but lets wait a little

vk_vkumar
07-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Gandhi-giri with flowers was a fantastic success.Why not thank Secretary Rice by sending Fruits?

VMH_GC
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
count me. i will be with my family

prajwal123
07-14-2007, 11:03 PM
HI,
How about sending Sona masoori "RICE" TO Condi... with Special thanks..

deafTunes123
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Count me. I am in UpState new york. But I will drive to support.

geesee
07-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Count me in too... Am from Somerset, NJ...

I could get around 5 of friends who were also the victims of this July flipflop..

shannonxi
07-15-2007, 12:58 AM
count us in. two.

naan
07-15-2007, 01:21 AM
I will be available any day to participate for this cause in NY-NJ region.

lkrastogi
07-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Good idea, I am in for NY

asdf123
07-15-2007, 01:39 AM
I am in too. I will bring a couple of my friends too.

fundo14
07-15-2007, 01:54 AM

Count me In.

sky7
07-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Count Me in...I will be coming in from Philadelphia!

But, I hope the medias will title the news "professional legal immigrants" or something that represent us regardless of our nationalities! Seems like a lot of medias were assuming this GC crap is affecting only the "GANDHIs"!!! :D EVERYONE man...EVERYONE is affected!!!!

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Those in NY please join the state chapter. Click the link in my signature.

kalparikh
07-15-2007, 08:04 AM
count on me. I will be with my family

gc_dega_gandhigiri
07-15-2007, 08:51 AM
I am from NJ. I am ready to be a part of it. Any plans when ?

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Nobody will come for these rallies if tommorrow some good news comes. People came out for the San Jose rally only because they could not file I485. And not because they do not have a greencard yet. If tomorrow everyone can file I485, nobody will come for such rallies. This is a bitter truth. I saw it during CIR round II. Nobody participated in IV action items because they were so happy filing their I485s. People did not even bother to contribute to IV. Now when they cannot file I485 they are coming back to IV and want IV.

Couple of months ago there was an important meeting by core in DC. How many of you came for the meeting. Newsletters were sent to the entire east coast. Phone calls were made and announcements were made. Finally only 36 people showed up.
We are the only people responsible for our own failures.

U r right. iv members need a break today :)

Star
07-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I live in Long Island and I am in for NYC Rally.

jasmin45
07-15-2007, 12:01 PM
NYC Rally.

Lets discuss on Location, Route and Time for maximum publicity in the media.

gc4me
07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I am in. I will try to bring 5/6 persons.

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
New Yorkers, please join the NY chapter, click the link in my signature.

small2006
07-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Just joined ..count me in for at least 2 ppl (me and my wife). I will try to rope in as many friends as possible.

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Spread the word, join the state chapter. Click the link in my signature, please create the same link in your signatures.

'Tikka' runs this chapter and will start coordinating. We now have 25 mebers, I am expecting 25,000 members.

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Just joined ..count me in for at least 2 ppl (me and my wife). I will try to rope in as many friends as possible.

Great Thanks.

gcphul
07-15-2007, 06:54 PM
We should Distrubute Flyers at Metro Station Edison new Jersey ,to get more crowd for Rally

jasmin45
07-15-2007, 06:56 PM
We should Distrubute Flyers at Metro Station Edison new Jersey ,to get more crowd for Rally

Not a bad idea at all. Majority of immigrant community use the metro.

reedandbamboo
07-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I WILL attend the NY rally.

vjkypally
07-15-2007, 08:07 PM
If nothing positive come out tomorrow, lets hold a huge rally on the 21st in NYC. Everybody in east coast should participate. If San Jose had 500 we should aim for 5000. Guys from DC, Boston, Philly everywher should just drive in and bring in as many friends as you can.
Keep workin Guys!!!

bayarea07
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes,I agree,we should have this rally pretty soon, if nothing comes out tomorrow or in coming week.

I am assuming that since NJ has lots of Indians there, so i am expecting a huge turnout there.

IV Core,If you are Reading this Thread,can we start working in direction for rally in NY.

If nothing positive come out tomorrow, lets hold a huge rally on the 21st in NYC. Everybody in east coast should participate. If San Jose had 500 we should aim for 5000. Guys from DC, Boston, Philly everywher should just drive in and bring in as many friends as you can.
Keep workin Guys!!!

bayarea07
07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Can we have people from NY and NJ join this Site in maximum numbers and subscribe to this thread.

Right now I am not seeing much movement in this thread.

This time we should consider distributing flyers in all grocery stores in NY/NJ stores.

Any Suggestions for How to make this Rally More Popular !!!

bayarea07
07-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Can anyone from IV core come forward and take initiative towards organizing a rally in NY.

tikka
07-15-2007, 09:04 PM
New Yorkers, please join the NY chapter, click the link in my signature.

thanks for getting the folks in the tristate together!!:)

siravi
07-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I think its a good idea, will definitely help get more attention to the related issues.

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks for getting the folks in the tristate together!!:)

Looks like the chapter started getting filled. Can we do a conf call?

chanduv23
07-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Dear All, join your respective state chapters and update all your information.

visshy
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Keep workin Guys!!!

The rally at NYC is a great idea. As far as the date is concerned, I think it would have much bigger media coverage if organized on days other than 20,21 and 22 of July. Reason - Much awaited final book of Harry Potter is being released on 21 july(media will be all over it a day before and a day after as well).

northstar1
07-15-2007, 09:36 PM
One way to increase participation is to involve the Indian student associations of the various universities of the area. They are usually pretty well organized and members are usually willing to support such causes. Also support from ISA's from top notch schools goes a long way to show the legal immigrant population as a highly educated bunch.

gsvisu
07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
We need to make a generic flyer that we can start posting in Indian Grocery shops, Universities etc about the Rally.

That which is catchy, precise and not a lot of verbage.

Any suggestions ?

franklin
07-16-2007, 02:41 AM
The San Jose organizers are preparing a doc that goes into details of what we did, and what we should have done.

It'll take a few days since we are all still recovering - keep your eyes out for an updated post!

A couple of quick notes of advice from those just off the front lines:-

Give yourselves time to plan. We had less than a week to plan, and it was VERY stressful for a lot of people.
Join your state chapter, it makes communication a lot easier
I'd also agree that next Saturday with harry potter book may not be a good idea.

I'll have to double check, but I see no reason why we can't pass on the flyer, pamphlet and banner docs that we used.

deafTunes123
07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Count me.

pak
07-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Please consider to have rally on Sunday instead of Sat. as many of us are working on Sat.

cjagtap
07-16-2007, 08:14 AM
count us in..me and my family

atmercyofdol
07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
And we will need to reach out to the chinese community that are affected by this issue.

TIND_CT
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Count me in , I am from CT.

lkrastogi
07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I think it would be great if we do it on 20, 21 or 22nd and plan the route in such a way that we can get more media attention as all the big channels will cover the release of Harry Potter. But I also think that we are too late for 21st now from the planning point of view

The rally at NYC is a great idea. As far as the date is concerned, I think it would have much bigger media coverage if organized on days other than 20,21 and 22 of July. Reason - Much awaited final book of Harry Potter is being released on 21 july(media will be all over it a day before and a day after as well).

jfredr
07-16-2007, 10:25 AM
i think many indians visit sulekha for some reason or the other so how about putting an ad on SULEKHA

tikka
07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
i think many indians visit sulekha for some reason or the other so how about putting an ad on SULEKHA

to put on sulekha

- most student associations in universities are closed for summer

himu73
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes I feel we are using the Gandhi philosophy to carry forward this movement, but we should not project as an Gandhian/Indian cause. We are a Immigrant community.

I am from India and have lot of influence of Mahatma Gandhi's teachings.
Lets make this rally a united effort.

Count Me in...I will be coming in from Philadelphia!

But, I hope the medias will title the news "professional legal immigrants" or something that represent us regardless of our nationalities! Seems like a lot of medias were assuming this GC crap is affecting only the "GANDHIs"!!! :D EVERYONE man...EVERYONE is affected!!!!

chanduv23
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Please join the NY chapter

tikka
07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes I feel we are using the Gandhi philosophy to carry forward this movement, but we should not project as an Gandhian/Indian cause. We are a Immigrant community.

I am from India and have lot of influence of Mahatma Gandhi's teachings.
Lets make this rally a united effort.

this should be a united effort..

ps57002
07-16-2007, 01:42 PM
i would but am out of usa for now in south america....that too thanks to immigration issues..... have to buy time by being out of country so as can try to recoup all this time...i applied late for my PERM labor certification..it wouldn't be pending for a year and i would not be eligible for extension...but now thanks to all going on i have NO idea where i stand with anything...

does the EAD/PD allow one to change jobs and how soon??? I am really depressed at my current job but stuck :(

Need a miracle....

ps57002
07-16-2007, 01:45 PM
i have an idea...for those who are members of meetup.com groups...can it be posted there????? spread the word around

tikka
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
i have an idea...for those who are members of meetup.com groups...can it be posted there????? spread the word around

bump

smisachu
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Count me in. I am from The Sopranos state and will be there. Bada - Boom, Bada - Bing!!

bayarea07
07-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I agree complately, looks like chines community have their own forum,if we somehow could bring them across to join IV efforts to raise this issue,then i am pretty sure that will greatly help.

Anyone aware of on how to contact chinese immigration community ?/

Talk to your chinese friend at work ,who are in the same boat as us and find out where they usually go to discuss there immigration issues.

And we will need to reach out to the chinese community that are affected by this issue.

bayarea07
07-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I know that in San Jose Rally many chinese got to know our efforts throgh flyers posted in their company's cafetaria.

Any chines in here can please comment ??

I agree complately, looks like chines community have their own forum,if we somehow could bring them across to join IV efforts to raise this issue,then i am pretty sure that will greatly help.

Anyone aware of on how to contact chinese immigration community ?/

Talk to your chinese friend at work ,who are in the same boat as us and find out where they usually go to discuss there immigration issues.

franklin
07-17-2007, 04:07 AM
First off, don't limit yourselves to a couple of ethnicities. New York is the great Melting Pot.

Heck - I even know a fab fish and chip shop in Brooklyn that many Brits go to :)
I'm sure wonderlust and fightnow have contacts and suggestions for contacting the chinese community, but in New York especially you can go so much further than that, you just need to think outside the box a little and get creative.

Which brings me to Gimmicks... snappy slogans with a New York theme... "Start Spreading the News..." "Badabing, badabang" all that Madame Liberty has to offer.

franklin
07-17-2007, 04:07 AM
First off, don't limit yourselves to a couple of ethnicities. New York is the great Melting Pot.

Heck - I even know a fab fish and chip shop in Brooklyn that many Brits go to :)
I'm sure wonderlust and fightnow have contacts and suggestions for contacting the chinese community, but in New York especially you can go so much further than that, you just need to think outside the box a little and get creative.

Which brings me to Gimmicks... snappy slogans with a New York theme... "Start Spreading the News..." "Badabing, badabang" all that Madame Liberty has to offer.

btw - i voted "maybe"... i need a weekend trip so I can go to the Met again!

chanduv23
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
It is great to see this enthusiasm. As logiclife already mentioned, our next target must be DC.

Remember, we need effective ways of solving the issue. IV Core follows the right strategy. DC can be an excellent hub for a lot of people in the East Coast - the idea here is that we must have large numbers and messages must be loud and clear.

So hang in there, if you are from NY and have not yet joined the State chapter, please do so now by cllicking on the link in my signature.

chanduv23
07-17-2007, 08:18 AM

btw - i voted "maybe"... i need a weekend trip so I can go to the Met again!

Awsome, you coming all the way from Bay Area, is such an inspiration. The community must learn from you.