PDA

View Full Version : Job prosepct for spouse after the law change

Asian
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know how it will be likely, after the law (submitting I-485 application regardless of visa number being current) is enacted, for the spouses?

Can we file I-765 to get EAD for the family member once we submit the 485 application even before the visa number becomes current? Or I-765 filing should be always concurrent or after actual I-485 processing?

How long does it usually take to get EAD after filing I-765? Can the spouse take any job with this EAD?

Thanks for your advice!

felix31
06-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Asian,

hopefully that provision will survive Senate-House conference.

Assuming it is enacted into law, all principal applicants and their families (spouses and children) can enter I-485 stage and benefit from getting EAD, AP.
Spouses will be able to seek employment on EAD and work for any employer of their choice without hassles of negotiating for H1 sponsorship. So, that means, any job...

Also, principal applicant can port to another company and invoke AC-21 after six months of having I-485 pending (if he looses the job or something else happens and he cannot continue working for the employer who started GC process).

you can do so many wonderful things once I-485 is filed

GCwaitforever
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Asian,

you can do so many wonderful things once I-485 is filed

I am chiming and dreaming already ...:D

knowDOL
06-02-2006, 05:17 PM
While it is a very happy ending for many H1B holders problems, I have little hope that this will make it to law. I don't want to sound negative, but the chances of 2611 being passed in House is very frail and if it passes we need to be ready to make lot of compromises and this particular one is in Amendment and not part of original bill. So, not sure what will happen..

Better don't dream, but remind core team so they ask lobbyinsts not to compromise on this particular amendment. I am sure this will solve majority of the H1B holders problems. Not many people want to get GC and citizenship but want to lead a good life while here.

gcsucks
06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
For me this is one single piece of law that can clearly make a difference.
While it is a very happy ending for many H1B holders problems, I have little hope that this will make it to law. I don't want to sound negative, but the chances of 2611 being passed in House is very frail and if it passes we need to be ready to make lot of compromises and this particular one is in Amendment and not part of original bill. So, not sure what will happen..

Better don't dream, but remind core team so they ask lobbyinsts not to compromise on this particular amendment. I am sure this will solve majority of the H1B holders problems. Not many people want to get GC and citizenship but want to lead a good life while here.