PDA

View Full Version : Called to get receipt number: Rude USCIS rep left a bad taste

immm
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Called to get receipt number: Rude USCIS rep left a bad taste

Step1: Around 8:40am (7/18/2007), I called the USCIS number: 800-375-5283 options: 1,2,2,6,2,2,1.

Step2: Talked to level 1 customer service representative. She gave me her agent number and asked a flurry of yes/no questions and transferred me to level 2 customer service representative.

Step3: The level 2 customer service lady (did not give me her name) answered the phone and here is how the conversation went

(words aren't exact)

USCIS Rep: How can I help you?
Me: Good morning. I had sent my I-485 application last month and it has been over 30 days. I have not received a receipt notice. Would it be possible for you to look up by name to see if my information has been entered into the system?
USCIS Rep: Do you have the copy of canceled check that was sent with the application?
Me: My lawyer was not able to track the specific check used with the application. Would it be possible for you to lookup my case by my name?
USCIS Rep: If you have not received a receipt notice after 30 days, you will probably not get it now because visa numbers are not available. You can go to our website and check when the numbers are available.
((SOUND OF HER HANGING UP))
Me (assuming that it could be just some phone PBX sound): When I checked the website last night, it was announced that the filing date has been extended to August, 17th. Also, my application was delievered much earlier on June 15th.
(((beep beep beep beep, if you would like to make a call, please hang up and dial again)))

I have been in the country for almost 10 years (legally, of course) and don't recall a customer service rep (not sure if level 2 qualifies as customer service though) hanging up in the middle of conversation. It left a bad taste because in the same amount of time, she could have just looked up my name.

eager_immi
07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Ya they need to outsource their customer service desk to india.that was rude of them

sanjaymk
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
echo eager_immi....

but on a serious note, I am afraid that they are going to get real nit-picky with our applications, so guys make sure that your t's are crossed and i's dotted.

Sanjay.

ars01
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Called to get receipt number: Rude USCIS rep left a bad taste

Step1: Around 8:40am (7/18/2007), I called the USCIS number: 800-375-5283 options: 1,2,2,6,2,2,1.

Step2: Talked to level 1 customer service representative. She gave me her agent number and asked a flurry of yes/no questions and transferred me to level 2 customer service representative.

Step3: The level 2 customer service lady (did not give me her name) answered the phone and here is how the conversation went

(words aren't exact)

USCIS Rep: How can I help you?
Me: Good morning. I had sent my I-485 application last month and it has been over 30 days. I have not received a receipt notice. Would it be possible for you to look up by name to see if my information has been entered into the system?
USCIS Rep: Do you have the copy of canceled check that was sent with the application?
Me: My lawyer was not able to track the specific check used with the application. Would it be possible for you to lookup my case by my name?
USCIS Rep: If you have not received a receipt notice after 30 days, you will probably not get it now because visa numbers are not available. You can go to our website and check when the numbers are available.
((SOUND OF HER HANGING UP))
Me (assuming that it could be just some phone PBX sound): When I checked the website last night, it was announced that the filing date has been extended to August, 17th. Also, my application was delievered much earlier on June 15th.
(((beep beep beep beep, if you would like to make a call, please hang up and dial again)))

I have been in the country for almost 10 years (legally, of course) and don't recall a customer service rep (not sure if level 2 qualifies as customer service though) hanging up in the middle of conversation. It left a bad taste because in the same amount of time, she could have just looked up my name.
That was not good. There is no reason for anyone for doing that. Actually, I had good experience with on two separate occassions. That was how I got my receipt numbers. Mine was delivered on June 15th and the receipt number was generated on July 12. I called on July 16. I have not received that in mail. I am hoping to get that in email this week. I am sure you will receive yours this week.

In any case, call back and am sure (with luck) you will get a nice person to talk to.

GoneSouth
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Ya they need to outsource there customer service desk to india. lol !!

ars01
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
echo eager_immi....

but on a serious note, I am afraid that they are going to get real nit-picky with our applications, so guys make sure that your t's are crossed and i's dotted.

Sanjay.
I agree, though it is a victory for us for them accepting the applications but as it is being discussed in another thread, they just established a permanent backlog.

manderson
07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
with more ppl applying it will take them longer than usual even to send out receipt notices (if u don't have it already) coutesy of USCIS bureaucracy.

immm
07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
That was not good. There is no reason for anyone for doing that. Actually, I had good experience with on two separate occassions. That was how I got my receipt numbers. Mine was delivered on June 15th and the receipt number was generated on July 12. I called on July 16. I have not received that in mail. I am hoping to get that in email this week. I am sure you will receive yours this week.

In any case, call back and am sure (with luck) you will get a nice person to talk to.
Just curious - If it was delievered on June 15th but the Receipt date is July, 12th, doesn't it mean that they will treat your application per the July Visa bulletin and not per the June Visa bulletin?
(wondering why they didn't put June 15th as the receipt date and July 12th as notice date)

Fascinated Reader
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I called almost daily since 7/2 (bad) news came out and had very professional and pleasant service. The "level 2 reps" looked up by name, then often offered to look up by A-number to make sure that case not showing up on name search is not because of a typo made by the person entering the case into the system. I eventually got my three receipt numbers over the phone on Monday. The package was delivered on 6/15. No paper yet.

Almond
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
with more ppl applying it will take them longer than usual even to send out receipt notices (if u don't have it already) coutesy of USCIS bureaucracy.

Yeah, seriously. Everytime I get correspondence from them the notice note is almost 2 weeks from the time I actually receive it. Maybe they just don't have people to stuff and lick envelopes:D

justAnotherFile
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
the USCIS customer service is outsourced to a call center within the US.

You can send this transcript to a complaints email id you can find on USCIS website. one small step toward better service...

jfredr
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I guess there will be more of this kind going forward.

Get well soon USCIS.

GCapplicant
07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
May be it was her break time.Some are like that.When I apoke to another lady she spoke very politely and told to wait till receipt comes.

gsc999
07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I called almost daily since 7/2 (bad) news came out and had very professional and pleasant service. The "level 2 reps" looked up by name, then often offered to look up by A-number to make sure that case not showing up on name search is not because of a typo made by the person entering the case into the system. I eventually got my three receipt numbers over the phone on Monday. The package was delivered on 6/15. No paper yet.
--
You didn't even wait for 30 days before you started calling e'day :rolleyes: .
You got your receipt number on Monday(07/16) because that is 30 days from
06/15 when USCIS received it.

I would get mad, if people kept calling for an update even when one wasn't due
Maybe, poor immm got the same rep after she spoke with Fascinated R for 11 days in a row. No wonder :p

babli2007
07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I called the USCIS this morning for my receipt numbers, USCIS person said we have lot of applications,you have to wait 3 months to get receipt notice since you applied. My application sent to the Lawyer June 1st, The stupid Lawer took 19 days to read my application, lawyer sent my application on june 19th.

jgh_res
07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I guess we need to except more of this in the years to come.

I called the USCIS this morning for my receipt numbers, USCIS person said we have lot of applications,you have to wait 3 months to get receipt notice since you applied. My application sent to the Lawyer June 1st, The stupid Lawer took 19 days to read my application, lawyer sent my application on june 19th.

cowboy
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Just curious - If it was delievered on June 15th but the Receipt date is July, 12th, doesn't it mean that they will treat your application per the July Visa bulletin and not per the June Visa bulletin?
(wondering why they didn't put June 15th as the receipt date and July 12th as notice date)

My application was sent on June 29th with USPS certified mail. there is kno way the application can be delivered on the same day.

Also my tracking no. shows it was deliverd 12.45 pm july 02

But i could get hold of copy of delivery which my lawyer got as proof of delivery signed on June 29

Nobody knows how come.

I am worried if they are going to treat my application received on June 29.

USPS customer service told me the person who signed the delivery might have not changed the date on stamp since it was weekend.

I am consused .

Has anybody checked actual signed copy of their delivery?

tono80
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I was surprised of how nice they were over the phone when I was trying to get the receipt number. Another way to check the receipt number is to log into your bank website and look at the check USCIS cashed (if you can). They usually write the receipt number on the check. However, my experience while I was at the center was horrible. I was treated like garbage at the Philadelphia center by the clerk. They weren't even busy or stressed. Just a pleasant slow day. I'm filing a complaint (if that even helps) per Adjudicator's Field Manual Section 2 that states how to treat customers. Yes, customers.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=edab2463145ea40acb9c004717e1c 96b

sh2005
12-19-2007, 02:51 PM

I just talked to a USCIS customer service right now the customer rep was very courteous and professional. I haven't experienced any ill-treatment by any customer rep of USCIS, whether over the phone or in person.
One thing I wanted to add, USCIS never sent me the receipt numbers to me directly, all the receipt notices went to my attorney.

InTheMoment
12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Depends on what you mean by customer service rep. If it is a level 2 it is not a outsourced department bit are Immigration Information Officers (IIO's), these officers usually rotate between this job and handling cases which are of lesses complexity like I-131's and I-765's.

I just talked to a USCIS customer service right now the customer rep was very courteous and professional. I haven't experienced any ill-treatment by any customer rep of USCIS, whether over the phone or in person.
One thing I wanted to add, USCIS never sent me the receipt numbers to me directly, all the receipt notices went to my attorney.

needhelp!
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
help IV help YOU (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15905&page=143)