PDA

View Full Version : Joint Filing I485 from both husband and wife's companies

peer123
07-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi Friends,
I have applied for my I485 last month and received receipt numbers this week. At the time I consulted my company lawyer and he said it is possible apply from your wife's company for both of us and when USCIS gets to approving one application they will ask other one to be withdrawn.
The reason I asked and agreed to do so was manily because of the VERY unstable condition our my job. My wife's job is more stable than mine.
Now we are try to apply from my wife's company, her lawyer is saying that we can not have more than one I485 pending, had I known this - it more based on interpretation from the lawyers I would not have applied for my application just applied for my wife's.
Hoping that nothing may happen should I drop the idea of applying for I485 from my wife's company. Although my hope line is too thin.
My question is has any on in similar situation applied for 2 I485s. I am really confused as my lawyer says that it is possible and my wife's lawyer says it is not possible to have 2 pending I485 applications..

peer123
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
just bumping it up......

gc_chahiye
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
and researched by Pappu himself. Check the archives in the last 30 days.

bottomline: its a gray area and no one is sure. There is no law against doing it, some lawyers recommend it (Rajiv Khanna), others discourage as it could confuse USCIS and cause delays (Murthy) yet others say its simply not allowed.

peer123
07-18-2007, 08:57 PM
and researched by Pappu himself. Check the archives in the last 30 days.

bottomline: its a gray area and no one is sure. There is no law against doing it, some lawyers recommend it (Rajiv Khanna), others discourage as it could confuse USCIS and cause delays (Murthy) yet others say its simply not allowed.

Thanks for your input... any other thoughts on this topic

anand2007
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
if your wife has chosen Consular processing when filing I-140, it is possible to go ahead with concurrent applications

Hi Friends,
I have applied for my I485 last month and received receipt numbers this week. At the time I consulted my company lawyer and he said it is possible apply from your wife's company for both of us and when USCIS gets to approving one application they will ask other one to be withdrawn.
The reason I asked and agreed to do so was manily because of the VERY unstable condition our my job. My wife's job is more stable than mine.
Now we are try to apply from my wife's company, her lawyer is saying that we can not have more than one I485 pending, had I known this - it more based on interpretation from the lawyers I would not have applied for my application just applied for my wife's.
Hoping that nothing may happen should I drop the idea of applying for I485 from my wife's company. Although my hope line is too thin.
My question is has any on in similar situation applied for 2 I485s. I am really confused as my lawyer says that it is possible and my wife's lawyer says it is not possible to have 2 pending I485 applications..

god_bless_you
07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
You can apply from your Wife's company for that You will be dependent and her's will be primary.
When submitting you need to enter Alien numbers obtained from the first filing.
The critical part of applying like this is both the I 485 receipts SHOULD get same A# associated.
Once one 485 is approved USCIS will cancel the other or you can write th service center where pending I 485 is to cancel with all related details.,

HAVING MORE OPTIONS IS ALWAYS BETTER!!

gc_chahiye
07-19-2007, 02:55 AM
http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2007/07/faqs-part-4.html

Am I barred from having a second adjustment application pending if I decide to file another case based on a different I-140 approval?

There is little definitive guidance from USCIS regarding submission of a second I-485 petition or substitution of a new I-140 in an existing adjustment case. Theoretically, there is no bar to either practice though in the latter case a priority date needs to be available for the new I-140. The service centers have been inconsistent in their treatment of both of these kinds of cases and he should proceed extremely cautiously before pursuing either.

pappu
07-19-2007, 03:08 AM
Read my posts on this subject in the archives and do not start new threads on the same topic. It helps keeping information in one place.

peer123
07-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Read my posts on this subject in the archives and do not start new threads on the same topic. It helps keeping information in one place.

papu can you please add the link to that thread.

pak
07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I am on H1B and finishing 6 yrs in Jan 2008 and my employer never applied LC. My wife is on H4 and her LC is approved.
We are applying 140, 485, 765 for my wife. I and my daughter applying 485 and 765. So our status will be on EAD.
I have another daughter aged below 14 so can not apply 765.
My questions are:
1. After the expliry of my H1B, wife's H4, Kids' H4, what will be our status?
2. What will be status for my daughter aged below 14 yrs.

I am filing my own due to lack of fund, pl. help gurus!!!

noone2day78
07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi Pappu,

I joined this forum in beginning of July and really have benefited big time with the wealth of information here...Hats of to you all for all the great work and recent accomplishments.

I have a question, that I haven't yet found an answer to...was wondering if you could help me out here...

If dependant is already on h1b (applied 485 through spouse as primary) and switches to ead, can the dependant get back to h1b incase primary applicants 485 is rejected / held up for a long time?