PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep my PD?

windycloud
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
My LC was filed and approved in Feb 2007. In April I changed job. Different company, same position, same job description. I never filed I-140. Now I'm going through the LC application again. My question is. Is it possible to keep/transfer my old PD? If so, how?

THANK YOU!

Jason

rolrblade
07-20-2007, 11:55 AM
My LC was filed and approved in Feb 2007. In April I changed job. Different company, same position, same job description. I never filed I-140. Now I'm going through the LC application again. My question is. Is it possible to keep/transfer my old PD? If so, how?

THANK YOU!

Jason

Jason:

unfortunately, the answer to your question is No. You "secure" your Priority date only when the I-140 has been approved. In your case you have NEVER applied for for I-140, hence your priority date cannot be retained.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but better to tell you the truth rather than misguide you. If you need more answers please send me a PM

windycloud
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the quick replay. That's pretty much what my attorney told me. I just don't want to face reality. :) That is ok. Going through part of it once already, I have had a taste of all the anxiety, frustration and agony one can bear through out the GC process. Now that I have to do it over again, I realize I have to tell myself to relax and focus on life rather than GC. :) Otherwise I'll put years of my time in misery and for what really?

kaisersose
07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the quick replay. That's pretty much what my attorney told me. I just don't want to face reality. :) That is ok. Going through part of it once already, I have had a taste of all the anxiety, frustration and agony one can bear through out the GC process. Now that I have to do it over again, I realize I have to tell myself to relax and focus on life rather than GC. :) Otherwise I'll put years of my time in misery and for what really?

Exactly. Many people make plans that are Dependant on obtaining a GC. This is asking for trouble as a GC is associated with several uncertainties and there is no telling when laws change. This will keep the person in misery for a long time. I always tell people to plan their lives around the GC. It is harder, yes, but at least you will be happy today instead of waiting to be happy after an unknown number of years.

Initial: Many people in other countries who would like to be in the US, but cannot, feel unhappy about it. Their way of thinking is, I would be happy even if I were to be just on H-1b earning a nominal salary.

Next step: Enter the country on H-1b and in a few months the excitement wears off. Now the tune is, I will be so happy if I can get to the 485 stage and invoke AC21.

Next step: After spending a couple of years on EAD, the problem is about EAD renewal fees, etc. I will be happy when I get a GC, so I can take up any role I want and not spend money ever year renewing EADs.

Next step: I will be happy when I become a citizen...

This song and dance goes on. People are always waiting to be happy at some point in the future. It is never today.

speddi
07-20-2007, 12:20 PM

May be you can talk to your old employer and apply for I-140 and then once that and the new I-140(from current employer) gets approved, you can port it.