PDA

View Full Version : Dick Durbin - Enlightenment Campaign Suggestion

yabadaba
07-21-2007, 09:52 AM
This idea was floated a few years back, but then we did not have the win of a flower campaign behind us.

We now have a senator to focus our energies on - Dick Durbin.

How about everybody with a US degree send a copy of the diploma in a packet to Sen Durbin with a message - Dont hold us hostage because of a few bad apples..something to that nature?

Alternatively we can send it to Sen Obama asking him to please let the senior senator from illinois, sen Durbin, know we are high skilled immigrants - dont hold us hostage because of a few bad apples.

maybe we can send an apple too :D

sending to sen obama will make sure the issue is played in media because of the presidential coverage.

seahawks
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I still can't imagine Sen Hillary Clinton did not support legal immigrations..hmm, may be when we send it to Obama, he can take it up with his opponent to get her support too.. who knows, it is all a tricky issue

syzygy
07-21-2007, 11:41 AM
This is smart idea. Will convey the message to right people.

This idea was floated a few years back, but then we did not have the win of a flower campaign behind us.

How about everybody with a US degree send a copy of the diploma in a packet to Sen Durbin with a message - Dont hold us hostage because of a few bad apples..something to that nature?

Alternatively we can send it to Sen Obama asking him to please let the senior senator from illinois, sen Durbin, know we are high skilled immigrants - dont hold us hostage because of a few bad apples.

sending to sen obama will make sure the issue is played in media because of the presidential coverage.

ilikekilo
07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I still can't imagine Sen Hillary Clinton did not support legal immigrations..hmm, may be when we send it to Obama, he can take it up with his opponent to get her support too.. who knows, it is all a tricky issue

seahawks - obama did not even vote...smart...

GreenMe
07-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Liked the idea of sending copy of diploma ... but whats the message ???

yabadaba
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
ne thots from core?

gsiskind
07-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Durbin likes to have it both ways - be perceived as being pro-immigration (for his work on behalf of Hispanic illegal immigrants) but also being the champion of unions. I think he might respond if he starts to get labeled as anti-immigrant. He will not want to start to get the label of being someone who opposes immigrants. But I'd probably stick to the flowers and make it IV's signature. When the media hears about another flower campaign, they'll know something big is up and that the person getting the flowers is being targeted for an important reason.

chanduv23
02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Durbin likes to have it both ways - be perceived as being pro-immigration (for his work on behalf of Hispanic illegal immigrants) but also being the champion of unions. I think he might respond if he starts to get labeled as anti-immigrant. He will not want to start to get the label of being someone who opposes immigrants. But I'd probably stick to the flowers and make it IV's signature. When the media hears about another flower campaign, they'll know something big is up and that the person getting the flowers is being targeted for an important reason.

For some reason this thread caught my attention. Looks like this was discussed sometime back.

Sending flowers once again ???? Is this a good idea :D:D:D

jungalee43
02-17-2008, 10:14 PM
We need to do something to make him change his mind or at least soften his stand. It should not be anything sarcastic. I think flower campaign will have element of being sarcastic or even being critical.
It should be something simple and humble. May be a meeting of IL members with his staff and then if we get an opening, meeting with Sen. Durbin himself.
This can be followed by something like letter campaign on the lines of admin fix campaign.

chanduv23
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
We need to do something to make him change his mind or at least soften his stand. It should not be anything sarcastic. I think flower campaign will have element of being sarcastic or even being critical.
It should be something simple and humble. May be a meeting of IL members with his staff and then if we get an opening, meeting with Sen. Durbin himself.
This can be followed by something like letter campaign on the lines of admin fix campaign.

It has been tried, they are not open to talk

jungalee43
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
That means his stand is not really tied to any issues surrounding the problem or its solution. It is pure politics. So for us he is another clone of Sen. Sessions. And obviously meeting, letter, flower or for that matter whatever we try is not going to work.
It has been tried, they are not open to talk

HV000
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Its important to lobby Republicans as well since they tried to help us during the CIR debate. I can't recall Democratic senators helping LEGAL immigrants during the CIR debate last year!

HV000
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Its probably wise to lobby both Sen. Dick Durbin and Sen. John Cornyn together.

purgan
02-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Actually I had suggested a phone/fax campaign to Durbins office. The Anti-immigration/protectionist organizations such as Programmers Guild have targeted this senator for a reason.....but no one is getting our point of view across to him.

I don't think he's anti-immigrant, but the fact is no one from our community has reached out to him in an organized manner.

I suggest we start a phone/fax and flower compaign....

bigboy007
02-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Chandu just mentioned that some means of contacting him is made. But he is very pivotal for this . As hez Obama campaign chairman , Senate No. 2 Ranking Democrat. His support or non-support is very crucial to support or not supporting any legislation now and if Obama comes in to picture obviously he will have better hold. We need to get our message strong , hard in a best smooth way possible.

Also he is against H1b Mis-use. Now does he understand PPL like us in Middle of Nowhere.

chanduv23
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.littleindia.com/news/156/ARTICLE/2040/2008-02-04.html

I was quite disappointed to see so much space devoted Senator Barack Obama in "Power Politics" (January 2008). In particular, I was upset at the "feel good" nonsense spouted, like Bushisms, by one supporter: "I have looked him straight in the eye and I can tell you first hand that the man believes in what he says."

My daughter, a Democrat activist at Georgetown University also had a first hand experience with Sen. Obama when he gave a speech there last year. After the speech he was approached by my Indian daughter and an Anglo-Saxon friend for a handshake, a few words and a photo op. Sen. Obama was brusque, rude and stated that he was too busy for a picture with them. A few steps later he was stopped by an African American woman, who made the identical request. Without hesitation he spoke to her for a few minutes and posed for a photograph, all within feet of my daughter and her friend.

I have tried to contact the senator's staff by phone and e-mail to communicate the disappointment of the two young girls, but have had no response.

My daughter and I will certainly vote for the person his staff tried to insult as the "Senator from Punjab," Sen. Hillary Clinton, and pray that in the final analysis others, young and old, will value the experience and proven loyalty to Indians of the Clintons. I hope I won't be forced to make a choice between Sen. Obama and Sen. John McCain.
Jan Vyas, Via eMail

styrum
02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't recall Democratic senators helping LEGAL immigrants during the CIR debate last year!

Maria Cantwell (D-WA) introduced the only amendment favorable for us.

needhelp!
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Just a gentle reminder to post us an update if you've got some by now.

Also he is against H1b Mis-use. Now does he understand PPL like us in Middle of Nowhere.