PDA

View Full Version : A must watch for every immigrant

black_logs
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Guys,

I saw this movie yesterday 'The making of Mahatma'. It is a must watch movie for every immigrant. It is about Gandhi’s 21 years in South Africa. How Gandhi mobilized the immigrant community and taught them to fight for their rights. Fighting against a bill, trying to get an amendment. It is an amazing piece of art. The best part is Gandhi was fighting for people's rights as he had no intention to live in SA whatsoever.
His initial plan to be in SA for few days ended to be 21 years.

PS: The movie is in English - Also have English subtitles

You can get the DVD here

http://store.nehaflix.com/maofmadvd.html

chanduv23
06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Mr Backlogs, we must have a page describing Gandhi's struggle in SA. It is a good inspiration for people.
In fact articles about Lincoln, MLK, Sivaji, Mandela etc... will be a great thing.

black_logs
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Chanduv23, You're right we should have some articles on these personalities. I saw the whole move with a 'stunned' expression on my face. I could not believe what and how he was doing things. How he was being betrayed by the government, accused of corruption by his fellowmen. And was still getting powerfull everyday.

Mr Backlogs, we must have a page describing Gandhi's struggle in SA. It is a good inspiration for people.
In fact articles about Lincoln, MLK, Sivaji, Mandela etc... will be a great thing.

god_bless_you
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Those more interested on Gandhi please check these

http://www.mahatma.org.in/index.jsp
http://www.mkgandhi.org/index.htm

bluekayal
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I was In Durban, SA recently and desperately wanted to do a "pilgrimage" to the Gandhi spots..but couldn't. Anyway I've never seen as many people of southern Indian origin in any place outside Chennai/ Madras. The older I grow and the more I see I begin to respect Gandhi even more.

black_logs
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes, I used to be a Gandhi hater until my college. Probably when you grow older and you see life. A person starts understanding his/her capabilities. Especially when the parameters are what and how far can you go to help others? At the end of the year when we do our Tax returns we should also prepare a file of ‘returns for life’, what we did for others what was our contribution to the society.
I was In Durban, SA recently and desperately wanted to do a "pilgrimage" to the Gandhi spots..but couldn't. Anyway I've never seen as many people of southern Indian origin in any place outside Chennai/ Madras. The older I grow and the more I see I begin to respect Gandhi even more.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Gandhi was one of the greatest person on earth, but this forum sounds like an INDIAN ONLY FORUM.

samcam
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
..this thread with the forum.. Also notice the topic of this thread "A must watch for every immigrant"

Gandhi was one of the greatest person on earth, but this forum sounds like an INDIAN ONLY FORUM.

dixie
06-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Gandhi was just an example ... you can use any other such personality in his place. Right here, in the US, martin luther successfully fought against segregation.Remember, at the time segragation was the law as well as the norm in society; yet he started a movement to make that unacceptable. The point being, we need motivation and belief in our cause to bring about such change.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I could understand where you're coming from. I'm sorry to call this "THREAD" a "FORUM".

We are all here in America as immigrants and were given the chance to live and work because of our skills and I support every effort that this forum is all about.

I'm with you in the move to get our green cards and live happily in the US. America has given us the chance to come here and work and live. What we are asking for is in fact an extra thing.

What I don't really understand why we need to include Gandhi and Nelson Mandella here.

The reason why I mentioned this "THREAD" is becoming like an INDIAN Forum only because that's how is sounds like.

Probably we could avoid mentioning those things. I have Indian friends and I have nothing against Indians.

chanduv23
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
lagsam - Gandhi is a great soul. His name can be used anywhere. Every country president or prime minister when they visit India, the first thing they do is to pay homage to Gandhi including Bush, Clinton, not because he is a freedom fighter but because he is a great soul. Gandhiji is the man of masses, in his times, he had supporters from all over the world. He fought for civil rights and stood for humanity. Many people think that he is a freedom fighter who fought the british, but he actually stood for humanity and mobilised the masses. He unified the masses and worked for equality and human rights.
We can use other examples like Lincoln, he was the architect of 'America - a dreamland'.
Don't know if you have heard of Sivaji? He was a historic Indian king and a great warrior who will never giveup - Good example.
These people can be used as inspration.
We can follow their footsteps, nothing wrong.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I dont know how old are you, but when I was in college in 1983 or 84, I watched the movie Gandhi and it was packed. Gandhi is one of the greatest person on earth that everybody respects. I don't think you read properly my first reply which I mentioned that Gandhi was one of the greatest person on earth. He inspires everyone including myself. I know and admire him.

Please don't tell me about Gandhi.

I think I'm in the wrong forum and I will ask the moderator to remove my name and login. I will never subscribe and this forum again.

chanduv23
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
lagsam - My intention was not to prove your stance wrong. I just wanted to prove my point that using Gandhi's name is a source of inspiration. Nothing wrong in using it.
Its a small world - called India or Australia or Argentina or USA. We are all same human beings, most skilled workers affected by retro are Indians, Chinese, Phillipinos and Mexicans and thats why you see so many Indians iin the forum.
I agree with you that it kinda gets Indianised when people talk about India or anything Indian that makes other members uncomfortable.
But hey, c'mon - everyone likes Indian food, dance, music, History. I have collegues at work who have fallen in love with India and its culture and they prepare Indian food, collect Indian art. Personally, I like China too, I would want to go visit the Great Wall, Forbidden city etc....I love to go to all parts of the world, including expedition to Mt Vinson, Antartica. Learn various cultures etc..
I come in this forum because I like the way these IV guys took initiative to do something rather than sit and do nothing. They sought inspiration from a lot of learned people, professionals, legal personnel and are following a defined path. I would do anything to help them in this cause. I am also in the path of immigration, but personally not really stressed because I don't care if I get a GC or not, but will definitelly fight for rights. I help people with tips on what to do when they get layed off etc..
I apologise if I said something wrong :)

black_logs
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
This is a perfect example how a healthy humane discussion can be lead into unnecessary rut. I started the discussion because I want the people to see this movie to see how a person can spend 21 years of his life for the cause of others. How he felt the system in SA stinked and how he made people aware of what they could do for the betterment of their condition. Indirectly all I wanted the people to feel is that when somebody else can do it for you why can't you do something for yourself. Just a motivation.
May be we could learn something from that.

msp1976
06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
This is a perfect example how a healthy humane discussion can be lead into unnecessary rut. I started the discussion because I want the people to see this movie to see how a person can spend 21 years of his life for the cause of others. How he felt the system in SA stinked and how he made people aware of what they could do for the betterment of their condition. Indirectly all I wanted the people to feel is that when somebody else can do it for you why can't you do something for yourself. Just a motivation.
May be we could learn something from that.
We got to stick to the basic theme of promoting EB immigration and absolutely nothing else..otherwise even with good intentions we would lose members ...

lagsam
06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree. But I think you should have shared it on a different forum. This is America and we are talking about US Immigration Laws here and how we could help change these laws so we could become permanent residents of this great country.

chanduv23
06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Mr Moderator - Once again I apologise, I may have sounded more Indian that would have pissed off other immigrants. There is no need to feel "Indian" or "Non-Indian" when we are working for a cause. I am neutral. Anyway, I will be more careful in future. Will not talk about Gandhiji or Sivaji.

black_logs
06-09-2006, 04:48 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: We got to stick to the basic theme of promoting EB immigration and absolutely nothing else..otherwise even with good intentions we would lose members ...

black_logs
06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
we are all immigrants we are all asking government to care for our cause. This movie is all about immigration problems. Is there any better forum than this ???
I agree. But I think you should have shared it on a different forum. This is America and we are talking about US Immigration Laws here and how we could help change these laws so we could become permanent residents of this great country.

chanduv23
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I think immigration voice is just not to fix the EB GC problem, it is designed to help immigrants from grieviances and help them through a broken immigration system. Gaining inspiration from history and movies is not a bad thing. Anyways, as I understand there are many topics addressing different issues in this forum.
Inspiration from something does not change focus of what we are doing. People are working hard to get things in place.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Mission Statement

The mission of Immigration Voice is to organize grassroots efforts and resources to solve several problems in the employment based green card process including (a) delays due to Retrogression (visa number unavailability for certain employment-based categories) (b) delays due to USCIS processing backlogs and (c) delays due to Labor Certification backlogs. We will work to remove these and other flaws by supporting changes to immigration law for high-skilled legal employment-based immigrants. High-skilled legal immigrants strengthen the United States' economy and help maintain American technological superiority.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 05:07 PM
America is a great country and we should thank America for giving us the chance to come here and work and get paid the same or even more than the local Americans.

America is "NOT" repressing us. During Gandhi's time it was a case of repression. The Brutal treatment of the British to the Indians.

Our case is completely different and has got nothing to do with what happened to Gandhi. All we are asking is change some laws so our green cards could be processed.

black_logs
06-09-2006, 05:08 PM
You'll never get it. I give up.
Mission Statement

The mission of Immigration Voice is to organize grassroots efforts and resources to solve several problems in the employment based green card process including (a) delays due to Retrogression (visa number unavailability for certain employment-based categories) (b) delays due to USCIS processing backlogs and (c) delays due to Labor Certification backlogs. We will work to remove these and other flaws by supporting changes to immigration law for high-skilled legal employment-based immigrants. High-skilled legal immigrants strengthen the United States' economy and help maintain American technological superiority.

lagsam
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I think you are moving away too much to what Immigration Voice is all about. Please DONT add too much politics here. Just stick with the purpose.

vparam
06-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I think you are moving away too much to what Immigration Voice is all about. Please DONT add too much politics here. Just stick with the purpose.

immigration voice - i understood it as immigration voice. i think the point of this thread was to highlight that immigration struggle can be won and the example was a great individual who is accepted universally the context of his struggle was different in a different era but the intentions was the same immigrants need to raise thier voice.

america is great country built by immigrants and had been in forefront in rights but then it is agreed by all americans now that immigration system has failed in this country. while Lou dobbs is talking in one view, IV provides its view but then each is about immigration and rights. so i think there is nothing wrong / nothing political / nothing indian about this thread.

but i guess lagsam request needs to be honored to be taken out of this fourm, he has all RIGHTS to ask that.....

lagsam
06-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Thank You.

black_logs
06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I stand by what I am doing here. My intention is to motivate people to rise for their issues. Please don't get into unnecessary arguement without seeing the movie. The intention is still towards the goal i.e. to motivate people. There are 1/2 million people who are suffering because of immigration backlogs, while we have just a handful 5K members, out of which only handful of members are making contributions financially as well as time devotion etc. So basically the issue is motivation. And this thread, this movie is all about motivation. I will not close or take this thread out. It is very much relevant.

immigration voice - i understood it as immigration voice. i think the point of this thread was to highlight that immigration struggle can be won and the example was a great individual who is accepted universally the context of his struggle was different in a different era but the intentions was the same immigrants need to raise thier voice.

america is great country built by immigrants and had been in forefront in rights but then it is agreed by all americans now that immigration system has failed in this country. while Lou dobbs is talking in one view, IV provides its view but then each is about immigration and rights. so i think there is nothing wrong / nothing political / nothing indian about this thread.

but i guess lagsam request needs to be honored to be taken out of this fourm, he has all RIGHTS to ask that.....

lagsam
06-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I think you should resign as a moderator. You don't motivate me at all.

black_logs
06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
If we were resigning because we could motivate 1 person than IV would not have born. I don't intend to motivate everybody. I'll give it my best, it's up the people to take it or reject it. But that won't stop me.
I think you should resign as a moderator. You don't motivate me at all.

vparam
06-09-2006, 07:04 PM
You'll never get it. I give up.
i actually meant to honor this sattement by lagsam
"lagsam
Junior Member Join Date: May 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........I think I'm in the wrong forum and I will ask the moderator to remove my name and login. I will never subscribe and this forum again.

But guess both black_logs and lagsam read it differently from what i meant.... " :-)

black_logs
06-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I got it:) :) sorry for the misunderstanding.
i actually meant to honor this sattement by lagsam
"lagsam
Junior Member Join Date: May 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........I think I'm in the wrong forum and I will ask the moderator to remove my name and login. I will never subscribe and this forum again.

But guess both black_logs and lagsam read it differently from what i meant.... " :-)

lagsam
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm done with this forum. This forum must stay focused to stay alive.

Good luck!

black_logs
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the advise. Good luck to you too.

Good luck!

go_gc_way
06-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I think it is just out of the box thinking to mention Mahatma Gandhi here on this forum. I respect the great soul.

Just wanted to mention , it seems people who have influenced Mahatma Gandhi before he became a great soul include personalities not Indian ..

"Leo Tolstoy: His ideas exercised a profound influence on Gandhi's mind."

I am not quite sure , if it would be out of context to mention , Mahatma Gandhi here on this forum, but I know he is known Internationally and taught in the school books of several countries like other great personalities of this earth.

I read in my school book about others mentioned in this thread (not forum :-) )... like Abraham Lincoln.

It would be good to have every one on this Forum. I will personally love that.

gsc999
06-10-2006, 10:52 PM

Good luck!

Yes, please accept that request to revoke lagsam's membership. This is a democracy we should respect that request.

Super moderator had proposed a valid and innocent idea. I appreciate moderator's effort to salvage the situation but some times it is better this way. All members are allowed to post their ideas freely irrespective of their nationality.

If this member feels more comfortable with his own country men, why immigrate to a foreign country?

guy03062
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I started respecting Gandhiji more and more as I grew up and see number of problems in today's world which could be solved by Gandhiji's ways of non-violence, determination and unity.

Albert Einstein said of Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarcely believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood." He also once said," I believe that Gandhi's views were the most enlightened of all the political men in our time. We should strive to do things in his spirit: not to use violence in fighting for our cause, but by non-participation in anything you believe is evil."

I think it is just out of the box thinking to mention Mahatma Gandhi here on this forum. I respect the great soul.

Just wanted to mention , it seems people who have influenced Mahatma Gandhi before he became a great soul include personalities not Indian ..

"Leo Tolstoy: His ideas exercised a profound influence on Gandhi's mind."

I am not quite sure , if it would be out of context to mention , Mahatma Gandhi here on this forum, but I know he is known Internationally and taught in the school books of several countries like other great personalities of this earth.

I read in my school book about others mentioned in this thread (not forum :-) )... like Abraham Lincoln.

It would be good to have every one on this Forum. I will personally love that.