PDA

View Full Version : I485 Filing with Passport which is going to expire in August 08, 2007

gcpain
07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Hello Guys,
My attorney send I485,AP, EAD application to USCIS with my present passport. This passport expires on August 08, 2007. Will there be any problems for this? Please let me know. Thanks......

milind70
07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello Guys,
My attorney send I485,AP, EAD application to USCIS with my present passport. This passport expires on August 08, 2007. Will there be any problems for this? Please let me know. Thanks......

I think you are okay ,please apply for a new passport as soon as possible.

fcres
07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello Guys,

Since you already applied there is nothing you can do other than renewing your passport. Try to do emergency renewal.
My lawyer asked me to renew PP to be on the safe side before we filed my AOS.

gcpain
07-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I did not realize this before and even my attorney did not tell me anything about this. what is the requiremnet for passport to apply I485? same time my application was mailed today afternoon in registered post. If there is slight chance of rejecting I want to call back my application and applying with new passport. what you guys think about this?

sam0407
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
As per my attorney, one year validity is recommended, but, I myself had only 10 months validity in my PP, she said it’s ok and we applied I-485..

BTW, for safer side I just renewed my PP in NY Consulate..If your are going to NY Consulate in-person . It will be get done on same day..

satishbsk
07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
My PP is going to expire in Oct 07,
I applied for New PP at CGISF on 7/17 which might take around 15 working days.

Green.Tech
07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
As per my attorney, there is no validity requirement for the passport, just that it should be valid at the time of AOS application. So, the OP should be ok. But like others said, do apply for a new passport as soon as possible.

gcpain
07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your info. Surely I am applying my new passport tomorrow. I am trying to call my attorney and left message. Still I did not hear back from him. My passoprt expires on August 05, 2007. My all applications mailed and are on the way to USCIS. I have option to recall my complete package only today. If I lose todays date then there will be no option.what should I do now?

paisa
07-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Hello Guys,
No issues here my lawyers at Fragomen told me the same my passpory was expiring Aug 3rd 2007 infact I had my passport renewed when they were to send my 485 application. My lawyer said 485 has nothing to do with passport so no worries.

gcpain
07-24-2007, 05:32 PM
^^^^

gcpain
07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for clarification.

GEEGEE
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Hello,

I too have the same problem, have sent the documents for filing I-485, mostly it will be filed before 17th Aug 2007. My passport is expiring on Dec 2007. I had sent it for renewal.

Will that be ok to file I-485 with old passport which would be expiring in Dec 2007?

thanks..

sodh
07-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Passport is a travel document and has to be in order if you are travelling or have to stamp a Visa,but your I-94 has to valid when you are applying for AOS.

milind70
07-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I did not realize this before and even my attorney did not tell me anything about this. what is the requiremnet for passport to apply I485? same time my application was mailed today afternoon in registered post. If there is slight chance of rejecting I want to call back my application and applying with new passport. what you guys think about this?

Frankly Speaking there is no relevance,I know when i stamped my H1 for the first time visa stamping given to me was beyond the expiry date of passport in which the visa stamp was stamped.
The deal is that when u r staying abroad other than your home country it is expected that one renews its passport 1 year before expiry.I renewed my passport one year before expiry thats the norm most countries follows. Even nowadays you go for stamping US embassy wants mimimum six month valid passport.Many people have got in trouble/issues with this since they get the full period visa but immigration officer at POE/airport only issue I 94 upto the validity of you passport,these things cause unneccessarry issues of filing for extension of status to get extended I 94. It is very important that everyone renews their passport before one year of expiry.
As far as your case is concerned i dont think unless there are red flags in your case they are going to look at your passport expiry date ,at the max they might issue an RFE or expalnation, lawyers usually file more than requested documents like W2's ,tax rerturns etc so that RFE's can be avoided as RFE can signifacntally slow down your case processing . I would suggest you to renew your passport as soon as possible.

milind70
07-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Passport is a travel document and has to be in order if you are travelling or have to stamp a Visa,but your I-94 has to valid when you are applying for AOS.

Passport is much more than a travel document, it is your identity abroad .All you identities here are based on passport.It is a document which proves ur citizenship.It is recognized world wide. If you are living in a foriegn land you are supposed to have a current updated passport that is expected. Try renewing an expired passport it takes much longer than renewing an unexpired passport.

gcpain
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Filed all AOS applications with passport which is going to expire on August 06, 2007.

waiting_4_gc
07-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Hello Guys,

Apply for new passport ASAP.