PDA

View Full Version : Fact Sheets for DC rally-need help

singhsa3
08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
My request for help on the following post http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12255 is not going well, I am still waiting to hear from analytical minds.

Anyways, we are in process of creating an eye opener fact sheet that we will be distributed with the promotional fliers. The objective of the fact sheet is create a sense of urgency and draw people's interest to DC rally.

I am looking for ideas as to what to put in the fact sheet, while I am still waiting to hear on my other post.

Please contribute you thoughts. We need to get this completed in couple of days.

franklin
08-12-2007, 03:25 AM
My request for help on the following post http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12255 is not going well, I am still waiting to hear from analytical minds.

Anyways, we are in process of creating an eye opener fact sheet that we will be distributed with the promotional fliers. The objective of the fact sheet is create a sense of urgency and draw people's interest to DC rally.

I am looking for ideas as to what to put in the fact sheet, while I am still waiting to hear on my other post.

Please contribute you thoughts. We need to get this completed in couple of days.

Will send info asap when I'm done with a few other action items. I do encourage further breakdown based on area of chargability, but this is a great idea.

Please contribute folks!

chanduv23
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Can you guys PM each other and talk on phone?

Macaca- your expertise is highly valuble and we need to get the ball rolling on the fact sheet ASAP - Singsa3 has committed to do this fact sheet as highest priority - with only 5 weeks to go, we need to get this out ASAP. Please talk to Singsa3 on phone so that he can get some quick points rather than scanning through news articles

Dear IVers, please help singsa3 with whatever facts you can provide that we are trying to provide to people for the DC rally.

Keep up the good work - lets keep the ball rolling

chanduv23
08-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Most people struggle with life balance simply because they haven't paid the price to decide what is really important to them - Stephen Covey

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man - G. B. Shaw
From 484_se_dukhi's signature!

I am shocked too. 2 members who I called on phone were abusive. They started blaming Aman Kapoor saying that he is rubbing his idealogies over already stressed immigrants - this was ridiculous and I am so sad that people have such thoughts.

If people are scared or want to live in Shadows why abuse IV who are truly committed for a cause???? These are the same people writing rubbish on those threads that ran 200 pages when they were waiting for USCIS announcement.

Singsa - u r doing a great job. Lets be persistant with the fact sheet.

singhsa3
08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Thank you guys, I will compile this sometime tomorrow.

pappu
08-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I am shocked too. 2 members who I called on phone were abusive. They started blaming Aman Kapoor saying that he is rubbing his idealogies over already stressed immigrants - this was ridiculous and I am so sad that people have such thoughts.

If people are scared or want to live in Shadows why abuse IV who are truly committed for a cause???? These are the same people writing rubbish on those threads that ran 200 pages when they were waiting for USCIS announcement.

Singsa - u r doing a great job. Lets be persistant with the fact sheet.

Let people say what they want to say. Every big effort will have people who will have difference of opinion. The work needs to go on and only then it will benefit the community. If we stop this work because someone is upset or feels that GC is not a big deal for them, then it will not help anyone, but hurt this cause. If someone has concerns then they should contact us or come to DC for the rally and meet us. We will talk to you and answer questions you may have.

apb
08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Bumping

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Fact Sheet: Who's Looking Out for You?

Green Card Visa Numbers Situation
• The GC process involves Labor Certification (2-3 months) + I-140 (0-12 Months) + Wait for priority dates to become current (several years) + security checks (1 month to 2 years) + I-485 processing once priority dates become current (18 months to 3 years).
• Yearly green cards quota for employment based applicants is 140,000. This includes visas for spouses and children. So on an average; it is given to ~ 60,000 families.
• Country visas limit is 7%, with almost equal distribution for EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 plus any unused visas from other countries. Generally speaking, for countries like India, approximately 7000 visas (~3000 families) were being issued every year in each of these categories.
• It is estimated that approximately 500K+ (yes 500K) I-485 applications under skilled worker category were filed between July 2nd and August 17th 2007. Most of these applications were from people of India and China.
• If you were unmarried at the time of filing, you will need to continue on current status (e.g. H-1B) otherwise you cannot bring your spouse.
• Employment Based Immigration reforms do not find enough support on the senate floors (Failure of SKIL, STEM etc Bills). As a matter of fact, it does not even get enough support to make it debatable, let alone final voting on the bills.
• USCIS is a self-funded organization i.e. it is run on fees it receives and is short on resources.

What do these jargons mean?
• Priority dates (PD) will remain retrogressed for several years.
• Those who could not file their I-485 now will now have to waitttttt…..
• Due to resource constraints, security checks may take years.
• Once PD becomes current, it takes on an average 1 year to 3 years to get approval.
• Endless cycle of EAD renewals and Advance paroles.
• If working on EAD and for any reason, if any of your EAD gets rejected, you will need to stop working, In other words, need to leave your job.
• You need to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for an indefinite time period otherwise you Green Card application will be rejected.
• EADs are valid for one year and several employers (and rightly so) view it as a temporary permit and hence reluctant to hire you.
• Once PD becomes current, it takes on an average 1 year to 3 years to get approval.
• So virtually you have three options: a) Struggle for several years b) Leave the USA c) Join us.

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Please feel free to comment or correct any facts.
Fact Sheet: Who's Looking Out for You?

Green Card Visa Numbers Situation
• The GC process involves Labor Certification (2-3 months) + I-140 (0-12 Months) + Wait for priority dates to become current (several years) + security checks (1 month to 2 years) + I-485 processing once priority dates become current (18 months to 3 years).
• Yearly green cards quota for employment based applicants is 140,000. This includes visas for spouses and children. So on an average; it is given to ~ 60,000 families.
• Country visas limit is 7%, with almost equal distribution for EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 plus any unused visas from other countries. Generally speaking, for countries like India, approximately 7000 visas (~3000 families) were being issued every year in each of these categories.
• It is estimated that approximately 500K+ (yes 500K) I-485 applications under skilled worker category were filed between July 2nd and August 17th 2007. Most of these applications were from people of India and China.
• Employment Based Immigration reforms do not find enough support on the senate floors (Failure of SKIL, STEM etc Bills). As a matter of fact, it does not even get enough support to make it debatable, let alone final voting on the bills.
• USCIS is a self-funded organization i.e. it is run on fees it receives and is short on resources.

What do these jargons mean?
• Priority dates will remain retrogressed for several years.
• Those who could not file their I-485 now will now have to waitttttt…..
• Due to resource constraints, security checks may take years.
• Endless cycle of EAD renewals and Advance paroles.
• For any reason, if any of your EAD gets rejected, you will need to stop working, In other words, need to leave your job.
• You need to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for an indefinite time period otherwise you Green Card application will be rejected.
• EADs are valid for one year and several employers (and rightly so) view it as a temporary permit and hence reluctant to hire you.
• So virtually you have three options: a) Struggle for several years b) Leave the USA c) Join us.

chanduv23
08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Please feel free to comment or correct any facts.

Excellent job

Common man may not understand this - too complicated for a common man who is not well versed with immigration stuff.

Can english_august or franklin help modify this so that a commoner will understand the facts and what kind of mess he is in.

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Guys,
Let us focus. We need to finalize it ASAP. Time is of essence here.

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Can I call u at some number?
The date is June 1st. Also, there were 1M+ applications before June 1st,

IV grassroot effort (flower campaign and SJ rally) were a very important reason for retraction of July Visa Bulletin.

newuser
08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Found this article while digging the New Article Thread -2

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2007/tc20070424_967747.htm

1.A new report finds that U.S. demand for IT professionals in 2006 reached levels not seen since before the dot-com bust
2.The U.S. technology industry added almost 150,000 jobs in 2006
3.Unemployment for engineers, computer programmers, software developers, and other IT professionals is at the lowest rate in years. Less than 3% of computer systems designers are out of work and less than 2% of engineers are sitting at home searching the classifieds, according to the AeA study
4.There would have been a lot more than 147,000 jobs created here, but our companies are having difficulty finding Americans with the background," says William Archey, president and chief executive of the AeA.
5.One culprit is the dearth of U.S. engineering and computer science college graduates. Second, immigration caps have made it difficult for highly skilled foreign-born employees to obtain work visas. Congress has been debating whether to increase the numbers of foreign skilled workers allowed into the country under the H-1B visa program

Also the following article talks about the taxes conrtibuted by the legal coummunity to New York.

http://www.urban.org/publications/900094.html

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Macca and I , we breifly spoke on phone, he will be posting the revise fact sheet soon

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Please contribute

franklin
08-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I'll look out for the revised version and take a look - nice job guys!

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Good job Macaca. Just one thing though, it looks like 1M includes all pending AOS and not just EB. Please see http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_annualrpt07__June_11_2007_section3b_backlog s.pdf

Employment Based (EB) Green Card (GC) Numbers Situation

The yearly EB GC quota is 140K. This includes visas for spouses and children. On an average, it is given to ~ 60K families.
Each country is allocated 7% (of 140K) GCs with almost equal distribution for EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 plus any unused visas from other countries. Each country gets approximately 9800 GCs (~4K families).
The Ombudsman estimates submission of 500K-750K (yes 500K) AOS applications between June 1 and August 17 2007. Most of these applications will be from India and China.
According to Ombudsman's 2007 report, there were ~1M AOS applications pending as of March’07.
So far EAD renewal has been taking ?? months. With the additional applications it will take ?? months and we will have to apply for renewal after ?? months.
The security check backlog appears likely to get worse, if a new immigration bill is enacted as millions of undocumented immigrants would also apply for legalization.
If you were unmarried at the time of filing, you will need to continue on current status (e.g. H-1B) otherwise you cannot bring your spouse.
USCIS is a self-funded organization i.e. it runs on fees it receives and is short on resources.

What do these numbers mean?

There will be 1.4M+ AOS applications by Aug 17 which will take 1.4M/140K = 10+ years. That is, priority dates (PD) will remain retrogressed for several years.
Those who could not file their I-485 now will now have to waitttttt…..
Due to resource constraints, security checks may take years.
Once PD becomes current, it takes on an average 1 year to 3 years to get approval.
Endless cycle of EAD renewals and Advance paroles.
If working on EAD and for any reason, if any of your EAD gets rejected, you will need to stop working, In other words, need to leave your job.
You need to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for an indefinite time period otherwise you Green Card application will be rejected.
EADs are valid for one year and several employers (and rightly so) view it as a temporary permit and hence reluctant to hire you.
Once PD becomes current, it takes on an average 1 year to 3 years to get approval.
So virtually you have three options: a) Struggle for several years b) Leave the USA c) Join us.

Legislative Efforts

EB Immigration reforms do not find enough support on the senate floors (Failure of SKIL, STEM etc Bills). As a matter of fact, it does not even get enough support to make it debatable, let alone final voting on the bills.
IV grassroot effort (flower campaign and SJ rally) was a very important reason for retraction of July Visa Bulletin.

singhsa3
08-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I am unable to keep myself awake. I will discuss this with you tomorrow. Have a good night!

According to Ombudsman's report,

Pending cases = EB + Family + Refugee + Asylum + ... = Backlogged cases + Unripe cases = 1,275,795 (page 11) + 1,316,740 (Figure 1, page 14) = 2,592,535 (as of March 2007)

I am approximating 1M to be EB based, 1.5M to be family based and 92,535 to be asylum + refugee (which is a lot).

singhsa3
08-14-2007, 08:07 AM
With the help of Macca , Franklin, Andy Gracia and others, I intend to finalize it today. Will try to hold a conference call later in a evening for the final tits bits.
In next couple of days, we shoud release this for printing....

chanduv23
08-14-2007, 08:29 AM
With the help of Macca , Franklin, Andy Gracia and others, I intend to finalize it today. Will try to hold a conference call later in a evening for the final tits bits.
In next couple of days, we shoud release this for printing....

What time? I can join - call me

This is very important - we create this kind of awareness.

sgupta33
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Hello,

With regards to the fact sheet, I wonder if it might be useful to include statistics on how much labor/money the US loses when high skilled workers immigrate to Canada or go back to their home country after being unsuccessful in obtaining their GC? Perhaps such stats are not available, but something along these lines that highlights losses to the US might be useful in bringing attention to what we contribute.

singhsa3
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Macaca, Chandu, Andy , Franklin,
The call is at 10:00 PM EST i.e 7:00 PM PST. I will also invite Pappu, Logiclife and Aman to the call, any one else do u thing we need to include?
Chandu has provided a calling number which I will send out through PM/e-mail.

Also Macaca, I will send you an e-mail with some points and questions later in the evening but before the call.

dollar500
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
So as per USCIS a total of 600,000 applications were pending until June. We can add another 600,000 for july-aug... total now 1.2 Million

08/14/2007: USCIS I-485 Workload Statistics

The applicants of I-485 are expected to experience delays in obtaining the green card for two factors: One is the visa number cut-off date movement in the Visa Bulletin. The other is the processing delays within the USCIS field offices, including Service Centers. Accordingly, "current" of their visa priority in the Visa Bulletin may not assure them immediate adjudication of their I-485 applications depending on the I-485 workloads and the processing backlogs within the agency.
The following statistics reflect a steady increase in the number of I-485 applications (including family-based and other cases) during the months before the July VB fiasco hit the roof as is shown in the following table:
Month New Receipt Total Pending
June 2007 69,098 597,844
May 2007 68,265 594,706
April 2007 59,266 580,507
March 2007 62,020 572,779
February 2007 45,554 574,783
January 2007 52,082 583,682
December 2006 50,411 588,039
November 2006 53,016 578,805

At this time, it is anybody's guess as to what the figures will look like for the months of July and August 2007 which have yet to be made available. It does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a totally different digit in the new receipt numbers and pending numbers for the next two months. These cases will have to be processed and adjudicated generally in the order of receipt in each queue for those cases whose visa numbers will become current in the future. The new statistics for July and August 2007 will add a body temperature to the new I-485 filers with the realization why it would be so important that the political leaders and the Congress should act and pass a legislation to reform employment-based immigration system coming fall. Without such legislation, their journey for immigration will remain intolerably painful.

chanduv23
08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Macaca, Chandu, Andy , Franklin,
The call is at 10:00 PM EST i.e 7:00 PM PST. I will also invite Pappu, Logiclife and Aman to the call, any one else do u thing we need to include?
Chandu has provided a calling number which I will send out through PM/e-mail.

Also Macaca, I will send you an e-mail with some points and questions later in the evening but before the call.

Sure, any other gurus here who can do this call???

singhsa3
08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I sent u an e-mail. Will call u in 10 minutes.
It is not possible to have 600K total pending cases (= EB + Family + Asylum + Refugee + ...) cases because there were 1,275,795 pending cases in March (according to Ombudsman) AND it is not possible to give 600K+ GCs in 3 months: EB + Family = 140K + 226K = 366K.

So my understanding is that there were 600K pending EB cases in June. Does family-based GC application have I-485 stage?