PDA

View Full Version : My co-worker leaves US due to immigration delays

Eb3_frustrated
07-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi folks,

A co-worker of mine who has a Phd from top notch university and who has been in the US for 10 years decided to move to Canada because of the immigration delays, he has spend close to $5000 on this green card process and is just tired of waiting.

I hope the lawmakers realize that we are not going to wait here forever. US is not the end of the world I guess.

dwl800
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi folks,

A co-worker of mine who has a Phd from top notch university and who has been in the US for 10 years decided to move to Canada because of the immigration delays, he has spend close to $5000 on this green card process and is just tired of waiting.

I hope the lawmakers realize that we are not going to wait here forever. US is not the end of the world I guess.

This is just the beginning. If things remain the same for couple of more years, I would not be surprised to see 20% of us leaving US and going somewhere else. I know that lot of us are already frustrated with the process.

mihird
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Myself: MS Electrical Engg. (Sr. Software Architect
with a Fortune 100 Company)
Spouse: MD Pathology (Resident doctor in the US)

7+ years in the green card queue..1 more year and we'll pack bags by mid 2007, if something like SKIL doesn't come to our rescue.

bhatt
07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Myself: MS Electrical Engg. (Sr. Software Architect
with a Fortune 100 Company)
Spouse: MD Pathology (Resident doctor in the US)

7+ years in the green card queue..1 more year and we'll pack bags by mid 2007, if something like SKIL doesn't come to our rescue.

It is true. and that is why lot of other countries are opening their doors to immigrant expecially IT people.
Now the US universities are no more attractive to foreign students, because it has become more diffifult to get student visa( also expensive). US universities are multi billion bussiness. And now other countries S'pore, China, Australia , Briton etc has activily started to enter in this Bussiness.
That is why the US univesities lobbying for the SKIL bill( or just a show off)

After Completing 10 years here I will be going back to my country.

GCBy3000
07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
yes me too. 10 years is good choice if you re waiting for 7+ years already. At least you will get social security benefits later.

It is true. and that is why lot of other countries are opening their doors to immigrant expecially IT people.
Now the US universities are no more attractive to foreign students, because it has become more diffifult to get student visa. US universities are multi billion bussiness. And now other countries S'pore, China, Australia , Briton etc has activily started to enter in this Bussiness.
That is why the US univesities lobbying for the SKIL bill( or just a show off)

After Completing 10 years here I will be going back to my country.

Madhuri
07-19-2006, 06:54 PM
May I know how can we get SS benefits later if we don't have GC?
Many of my collegues also have the same concern.
yes me too. 10 years is good choice if you re waiting for 7+ years already. At least you will get social security benefits later.

hmehta
07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I am not too sure but I believe we need to go to the local consulate and show them the proof of your employement (might be tax returns) and SSN.

satyasaich
07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
There is a clause in Social Security Administration according to which one is eligible for certain benefits if
"a person contributes to SS for a minimum of 40 quarters[which leads to 10 years of work]"
This is applicatble even if the person is not a citizen or permanent resident

GCBy3000
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You can check how many quarters you have accumulated till now with the sheet sent to you by SSN office every year after you file your returns.

There is a clause in Social Security Administration according to which one is eligible for certain benefits if
"a person contributes to SS for a minimum of 40 quarters[which leads to 10 years of work]"
This is applicatble even if the person is not a citizen or permanent resident

Be_Pragmatic
07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, I have already decided to go this route and will be moving to Australia sometime next year. I hope this will free up a lot of visas for the folks who wish to stay back

Hi folks,

cr52401
07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I am am waiting for my GC for 5 years now. Have master eng. Wea are planing to go to Canada by the end of 2006 and start a fresh live there. I got a good job offer already and at least I know that my status is guaranty there. Good luck with every one.:) :)

Well, I have already decided to go this route and will be moving to Australia sometime next year. I hope this will free up a lot of visas for the folks who wish to stay back

pkpalta
07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
When you would be eligible for such benefits the funds would be dried up or Lawmakers would add caluse to the current rule to make it eligible for US citizens only. Will you file a suit in an Indian Court for the injustice done in US ?

Unless you fight against the US govt. now you may never get it. It is better to fight it now than to fight it at the end.

GCBy3000
07-19-2006, 07:52 PM
May be...

I beleive, with any new law there will be a effective date. Who ever completes 10 year by that time will reap the benefits. Rest should look at their middle f...r at the age of 60. May be try doing that now itself to make sure you do not have difficulties with shaky hands then. :)

When you would be eligible for such benefits the funds would be dried up or Lawmakers would add caluse to the current rule to make it eligible for US citizens only. Will you file a suit in an Indian Court for the injustice done in US ?

Unless you fight against the US govt. now you may never get it. It is better to fight it now than to fight it at the end.

sainwa
07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Man this is USA, they may pass a law tomorrow and every body will stop getting SS benefits, if their numbers don't work. This is going to happen anyway , its only a matter or time.

katrina
07-19-2006, 09:06 PM

what kind of fight ? 5 year of nightmare, unsure about your status, put your career on hold, make sure that you paid tax, and yet they care more about illegal than legal. 5 year in backlog if it get clear this year (there is posibility that my case get close or even get rejected after 5 years for no reason) and if I'm lucky enough to pass the mess, I still have to wait who knows how many years till the greencard available and then another 5 years to apply for your citizenship.

I don't think it's worth to wait and waste our youth in these country. If by next year this whole mess is not get corrected, I'll try my luck in Canada or other country that value talent and skill before I'm to old to work or start all over again.

Alabaman
07-19-2006, 09:49 PM
For me I have Canadian PR and have started looking for a job in canada aggressively. If I happen to land one, I am gone. Anyone out there looking to hire a process engr in canada should email me privately

neoneo
07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
My friend is packing his bags and going back to India. He's been here for 4 years , MS in Electrical engg. I140 appvd. working for a big hardware company in the bay area. He negotiated a great deal with his HR.
one time $30,000/= as relocation bonus , plane ticket with competitie indian salary in bangalore.

Man! wish my co. was generous.

bottlemani
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Both my sisters went back to India. They were doctors. I'll pack my bags soon. My career is going nowhere without GC.

days_go_by
07-19-2006, 11:53 PM
one of my friends with MS in US and 7 yrs exp is leaving soon, he lost his job and did not even bother pursuing another job here, too tired.
And in 2000 he was very close to getting his 140 approved! lost that job just before that.
What a change of events.
Apart from that 3 of my other friends have left in last 2-3 years.

PFC
07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Is it possible that they will pass a bill that lets people with a degree and a professional job in the US for more than 5 years (or more, like 10 years) will be able to get a green card? Since we have worked here for so many years and some of our children are in middle school or high school, I think we have many reasons to ask for a green card.

dixie
07-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Is it possible that they will pass a bill that lets people with a degree and a professional job in the US for more than 5 years (or more, like 10 years) will be able to get a green card? Since we have worked here for so many years and some of our children are in middle school or high school, I think we have many reasons to ask for a green card.

I agree thats a very reasonable demand; but the current anti-immigrant mood in congrees makes it close to impossible that the lawmakers will even consider such a clause. The core members have had to work so hard to get even totally uncontroversial provisions like filing 485 and EAD during retrogression during CIR. Even getting some kind of accountability from the BECs have fallen on deaf ears, so you can very well imagine what we will get if we ask for the moon.

mbhang
07-20-2006, 01:50 AM
I have been waiting for 5+ year for the stupid LC. California EB2-RIR remanded to TR.

I will be moving by September of this year or April of next (depending on real estate development project completion in India).

I have been here since Jan 96, and continuously since Dec 98. I have 2 kidz who were born here, and the older one will have to adjust a lot as she has had 3 years of schooling (which pains me a little) here.

I have been working for a company without a raise and promotion in the last 7 years. During this time, the size of my company has shrunk from 12 K employees to 1.5K, and I have survived innumerable lay offs. I have assumed progressively increasing responsibility (without additional monetary remuneration or promotion).

The US Govt has spent zilch on my education, and this economy has enjoyed the benefits of my highly skilled ability for the last 9 years, all this while treating 'Skilled Labor' like an inanimate entity whose flow needs to be regulated through a spigot or tap or valve. They open the valves when they deem fit, close it when they deem fit, pay absolutely no heed to at least using some semblance of fair play (e.g. FIFO). I find it disgusting, that lawmakers and Labor secretaries time and again stress on the 'spigot' nature of US's visa/GC regime. If they want to treat it such, at least have the decency of taking these decisions (about denying or accepting LC applications) in a reasonable period of time. 5 Years, 2 months, and I still don't know where I stand - this is criminal neglect.

This is gross and blatant injustice, and also cleverly disguises racism (country wise visa limits is nothing but disguised racism, not matter how much spin you would like to put on it).

If this country is hell bent on making sure that my future income taxes are paid to some other country, I think I should oblige. I hope I make lots of money in future (which I think I should), and bask in the glory of giving none of it to this nation, which has all it's priorities wrong. I sure don't want to contributing to future military misadventures that this country is bound to set out on (Vietnam, Zaire, Iraq in the past.. maybe Iran, North Korea next year).

To others in my situation, don't be fools. Take your money and run (before the high US budget deficits and the Govt penchant to enter foolish conflicts makes the US$ worthless).

Good luck to all who still have patience with this blatantly unfair system.

Regards.

gg_ny
07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
I see here in this thread and in others people pointing to their colleagues and friends leaving US for their home country. It would help if some IT person or from IV team creates a database of such people (hiding their full last name) and the details. This data should help to figure out how much revenue is lost per year. Although the sampling is not random, it is not skewed either. I remember a 'statistician' crunching numbers and modeling BCIS behaviour among IV members... Any thoughts?

chanduv23
07-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Me, Senior Software Engineer - 7the year on h1b, L/C approved , i 140 pending.
Wife - 1st year Residency on h1b.
After wife completes residency, we are seriously looking into options like Australia where US MD is accepted, if things do not improve. Offcourse, we will miss US but we would be better off living a non limbo life. With the hope that things might improve we continue, but if things do not we have seriously started considering alternate plans.

pappu
07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I see here in this thread and in others people pointing to their colleagues and friends leaving US for their home country. It would help if some IT person or from IV team creates a database of such people (hiding their full last name) and the details. This data should help to figure out how much revenue is lost per year. Although the sampling is not random, it is not skewed either. I remember a 'statistician' crunching numbers and modeling BCIS behaviour among IV members... Any thoughts?

Yes, this can be a fodder for a good news story in the media. (both in Indian and US media).

rammyrammy
07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Well mine is even pathetic Guys..
I have a GC and it got approved after I got married for 2 months. and due to delays in getting appointment .. she is stuck...
And October Came ReTRO and my F2J is delayed and now its has been more than a year and I dont know when APR 2002 will get Current..
I am quite frustrated..
I am planning to go back next MONTH..
stay there for sometime and decide .. what to do...

GCwaitforever
07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Well mine is even pathetic Guys..
I have a GC and it got approved after I got married for 2 months. and due to delays in getting appointment .. she is stuck...
And October Came ReTRO and my F2J is delayed and now its has been more than a year and I dont know when APR 2002 will get Current..
I am quite frustrated..
I am planning to go back next MONTH..
stay there for sometime and decide .. what to do...

It would very interesting to know experience of GC holders trying to bring their spouses. Did not Sheila Jackson Lee placed a new provison for GC holder spouses, i.e. to extend the V-Visa? What are the various avenues you could bring a spouse into this country?

gg_ny
07-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, this can be a fodder for a good news story in the media. (both in Indian and US media).
Any takers? I think people will have privacy issues for sure and hence IV team may want to come with a coded entries for the names. This kind of stuff is done for telephone-polling, clinical trials etc.

katrina
07-20-2006, 01:22 PM

In our wildest dream yes it's possible, but in reality, I don't think so.

For Illegal that stole other people SSN, some not even paid tax and living in US more than 5 years there is a possible path to do that and there is support for them to do that.

but for us Who is trying our best tru legal chanel, wait in line to get labor cert more than 5 year and still waiting, paid our tax, try our best to be a best resident to make sure our record is clear for GC path and have a degree and skill, good job and steady income NO WAY...we are not worthy enough to get attention or even treated equally.

They think we are here to steal a job from their citizen. Sometimes I wonder how ? we're compete and putout our application just like anybody else, you've got selected because you are the most suitable candidate compare to other applicant (included citizen) most of the company won't hire non citizen because all the trouble they have go tru. They have to pay lawyer, paid fee for application, prepare all paperwork for the non citizen and pay the salary that determined by DOL that most of the time quite high.

and yet we are treated like we are not even exist. If only so easy to go back to your own country after 10 year of you life here I'll pack by bag and out from this mess. Too bad My country is in chaos right now, there is no way I can go back and jeopadized my kids safety.

Meanwhile I'll bite my tongue and see how this mess lead me.

gsc999
07-20-2006, 02:21 PM
It is really sad to see so many people suffering because of GC retrogression. It is just a matter of time, as some one pointed out before this trickle of people leaving US turns into a deluge.

I want to share my experience and where I stand:
I graduated in 2000 from a US university and started working in 2001. Applied for GC in 2002, under EB2, got a 45 day letter in March 2005. Decided to change my employment in June 2005 because I had out grown my old job and didn't want to remain hostage to retrogression. Being single helped. This decision would be tough for a couple. I knew the price for this decision, start all over again. My new employer refiled under PERM, new priority date is Feb. 2006. Recently got my I -140 approved. I will be in my 6 year pretty soon.

Some of my friends who went to Canada in 2003 have already gotten their PRs and citizenship. Same thing with a buddy in Australia. One more firend went to Singapore and has already gotten his PR there. I use to make fun of my friends but now they are having the last laugh. They are starting to get settled in their lives and have moved on.

I am now seriously considering Australian option, Singapore doesn't look that bad either. Just waiting for dust on SKIL bill to settle down. That might be the last straw, so to speak.

nlssubbu
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
2 of my collegues went back to India too. One is US Phd and another is MS in Software Engineering. First one started his own business in India and another joined a very big company and working as Director in delivery.

They left mainly because of the GC process issues and I am planning too by next year.

Thanks

GCBy3000
07-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Four of my known frineds left in the past two years.

1. Went to oracle with very good position. THis guy had his gc and was buillding a 300k house in Miami.

2. Other guy with GC went to India for getting married. Got tired with paper wokr to bring his wife here. Stayed there and found a job in CTS.

3. Other guy left after a lay off in MCI and now he is doing his own multi crore business. He is also employed in Verizon and got promoted last year into senior manager position.

2. Two guys went back frustrated with GC. So actually it is five not four.

gsc999
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Do you have any information on how to migrate to Australia?
--

http://www.immi.gov.au/

This is govt. website. You can play around and look at different options.