PDA

View Full Version : Opening LLC while EAD

dj.techo
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi All,

Me and my wife are on EAD. We want to open LLC. Right now I am doing consulting in IT firm. My wife is not working anywhere. What are TAX and immigration consequences if we open LLC on my wife's name?

Questions we have..

1. Can I become parnter easily once my status got changed from EAD to GC?
2. Once my wife start LLC, can she work for another company e.g. Software consulting?
3. What would be tax bracket for my owner of LLC?
Thanks,
dj

greyhair
04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi All,

Me and my wife are on EAD. We want to open LLC. Right now I am doing consulting in IT firm. My wife is not working anywhere. What are TAX and immigration consequences if we open LLC on my wife's name?

Questions we have..

1. Can I become parnter easily once my status got changed from EAD to GC?
2. Once my wife start LLC, can she work for another company e.g. Software consulting?
3. What would be tax bracket for my owner of LLC?
Thanks,
dj

You can start LLC or 'C' corp on EAD. No consequences. You cannot start 'S' corp on EAD. See this:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum72-ac21-portability-after-180-days-of-485-filing/13349-ead-can-you-register-a-llc-inc.html

1.) Yes, but you cannot work for it without filing H1 if you are on H1 status. You can even become a partner on EAD.
2.) Yes
3.) Depends on your state of registration. Contact Department of State in your state of residence. In Texas you have to pay $750/yr even if you are not doing any business in LLC.

Nagireddi
04-04-2010, 11:27 PM
You can start LLC or 'C' corp on EAD. No consequences. You cannot start 'S' corp on EAD. See this:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum72-ac21-portability-after-180-days-of-485-filing/13349-ead-can-you-register-a-llc-inc.html

1.) Yes, but you cannot work for it without filing H1 if you are on H1 status. You can even become a partner on EAD.
2.) Yes
3.) Depends on your state of registration. Contact Department of State in your state of residence. In Texas you have to pay $750/yr even if you are not doing any business in LLC.

I agree with greyhair.Though you can start LLC, you should still be able to pay taxes as for S corp. Contact you accountant.He will explain to you better.Good luck.