PDA

View Full Version : EB3 will Ever get pass 2003?

manfrmind
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Is there a way EB3 category will pass/reach year 2003.

arc
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
It will... just stay positive and optimistic...

arunmohan
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't see happening this even in next 5 years. EB3 is screwed up for long time. The main cause is 245i.

spicy_guy
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
It will... just stay positive and optimistic...
Lol! Not to sound pessimistic. But it should have been "It will, after 5 years".

skgs2000
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Not in this lifetime...par yes next janam lot of hope..:)

eb3retro
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Is there a way EB3 category will pass/reach year 2003.

i actually have different qn, if Eb3-I will ever reach 2003???:mad::mad:

pappu
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
EB3 I is in a really bad shape. People in that category have a lot to worry. No amount of tracking or posting on the forums will help them unless they actively participate in advocacy efforts. Unless any bill comes, there is absolutely no chance of PD moving fast. Another option is to find a job with EB2 requirements and filing a new application for Greencard. In this new application one can capture old PD. Those who filed in July 2007 were very very lucky. We do not see any repeat of July 2007. So if you have not yet filed I485 and your PD is recent, it will be a painful wait.

kartikiran
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
EB3 I is in a really bad shape. People in that category have a lot to worry. No amount of tracking or posting on the forums will help them unless they actively participate in advocacy efforts. Unless any bill comes, there is absolutely no chance of PD moving fast. Another option is to find a job with EB2 requirements and filing a new application for Greencard. In this new application one can capture old PD. Those who filed in July 2007 were very very lucky. We do not see any repeat of July 2007. So if you have not yet filed I485 and your PD is recent, it will be a painful wait.

Pappu, it is sad. Because IV was the last hope for EB3-India members. But this note is very discouraging. Almost feels like even IV has resigned from trying for EB3 members.

Not to belittle any other efforts that IV is doing, but I wish IV had taken the most backlogged category as its highest priority...if porting is what I need to do as per IV...well...I will start my discussion with my attorney today...:(

imv77
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
EB3 I needs help . Wait is frustrating and does not make sense any more.

pappu
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Pappu, it is sad. Because IV was the last hope for EB3-India members. But this note is very discouraging. Almost feels like even IV has resigned from trying for EB3 members.

Not to belittle any other efforts that IV is doing, but I wish IV had taken the most backlogged category as its highest priority...if porting is what I need to do as per IV...well...I will start my discussion with my attorney today...:(

It is the highest priority and this is why we are heavily investing in advocacy effort for CIR (if it happens) or any other bill/provision in any bill.

Unless there is an increase in visa numbers/STEM/country caps/recapture...... hope for EB3 is bleak. Admin fixes can help small fixes but it will not help much. We will be posting updates on our effort in the donor forum in more detail.

Hello_Hello
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
The least IV can do is to raise the issue of not even using the full year quota for EB-3 India in fiscal year 2009. The quota is more than 2800 while they only used about 2200-2300. They wasted more than 500 EB3_india numbers last year. It probably happened because of no proper cooperation USCIS & DOS, as USCIS might have told DOS to make the numbers 'unavailable' in the Visa bulletins as they have already received enough applications, but despite a meager number they did not adjudicate enough of them to exhaust the quota, which ultimately resulted in wasting Visa numbers. It is very sad, instead of helping the most retrogressed category, they are rather whipping us. It will be helpful if IV raise this issue with USCIS & DOS

It is the highest priority and this is why we are heavily investing in advocacy effort for CIR (if it happens) or any other bill/provision in any bill.

Unless there is an increase in visa numbers/STEM/country caps/recapture...... hope for EB3 is bleak. Admin fixes can help small fixes but it will not help much. We will be posting updates on our effort in the donor forum in more detail.

imh1b
04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
The least IV can do is to raise the issue of not even using the full year quota for EB-3 India in fiscal year 2009. The quota is more than 2800 while they only used about 2200-2300. They wasted more than 500 EB3_india numbers last year. It probably happened because of no proper cooperation USCIS & DOS, as USCIS might have told DOS to make the numbers 'unavailable' in the Visa bulletins as they have already received enough applications, but despite a meager number they did not adjudicate enough of them to exhaust the quota, which ultimately resulted in wasting Visa numbers. It is very sad, instead of helping the most retrogressed category, they are rather whipping us. It will be helpful if IV raise this issue with USCIS & DOS

See EB2 India got 10,116 and it is still stuck badly.

Getting additional 500 for EB3 I will do nothing. The line will still not move. It is better to focus on recapture of 200 thousand greencards. I will oppose IV spending time on mere 500 greencards when they can focus on 200,000 greencards.

satyasrd
04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi Pappu,

Your message is very disappointing. Not only because it shows no hope for EB3's but also because it says that July '07 will not repeat itself. With tougher H1B rules and EAD being the only solution I am sure there are thousands hoping and waiting for a window to file their I-485. But this really dampens their spirit.
I know there were talks about "pre-filing" or something like that which basically means we could get an EAD. Is this still one of IV's priorities ?

Thanks

go_guy123
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Pappu,

Your message is very disappointing. Not only because it shows no hope for EB3's but also because it says that July '07 will not repeat itself. With tougher H1B rules and EAD being the only solution I am sure there are thousands hoping and waiting for a window to file their I-485. But this really dampens their spirit.
I know there were talks about "pre-filing" or something like that which basically means we could get an EAD. Is this still one of IV's priorities ?

Thanks

IV works on volunteer basis. All need to work to make IV success.
This being said, EB reform will be very hard so long it is held hostage to CIR.

willigetgc?
04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
What can I / we as IV members do about this? I have been following IV for a while, but just recently joined, and I have started my donation today. Other than that what can I do? Cannot live in limbo forever :(

kumar1
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
There is a good news for EB3- India - They will directly get senior citizenship of USA. Get certificate of naturalization in one hand and social security check in other. Nice !! Just make sure that while taking the oath, your denture should not pop out of your mouth.

What would we do with GC/Citizenship at that age? Our prime time was spent struggling to fill up AP form, DS-156 form and reading all these forums.

:D

pappu
04-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Pappu,

Thanks

Hoping for a July 2007 repeat is as good as hoping for winning a lottery ticket. It was a surprise and there is no point putting all your hopes on just a repeat of July 2007. It will not happen again for all we should assume. Focus your efforts on bringing an immigration bill. For EB3 that is THE ONLY hope. Admin fixes cannot increase visa numbers to clear backlog of EB3. Immigrationvoice recognizes this and has been putting lot of efforts on having a bill on Immigration. But it will not be a reality unless we all petition our lawmakers and request them to take initiative on Immigration Reform. We hope this dose of reality will awaken some people who are dreaming of July Foasco again or still dream that every next month visa dates will move like Cheetah for EB3.

pappu
04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
There is a good news for EB3- India - They will directly get senior citizenship of USA. Get certificate of naturalization in one hand and social security check in other. Nice !! Just make sure that while taking the oath, your denture should not pop out of your mouth.

What would we do with GC/Citizenship at that age? Our prime time was spent struggling to fill up AP form, DS-156 form and reading all these forums.

:D

Very true. Especially for folks in their late 30s or 40s.
GC is a career killer too for people who get stuck in the same job.

anantc
04-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes Kumar & Pappu,
Is there any such rules/requests in any CIR or any upcoming laws for the CitizenShip Contingency?

Not only EB3 but almost all category backloged and all countries will be looking for this law. Due to Visa-unavailability, their 485 Applied status time will be counted (atleast partially like 70%) towards the Citizenship required period of @5 yrs ? We all know that unless we upgrade to EB2 or more, we don't have quick GC chances..

Is this happening by any chance ?

:D :confused:

Caliber
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Very true. Especially for folks in their late 30s or 40s.
GC is a career killer too for people who get stuck in the same job.

I am already 47.

pappu
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes Kumar & Pappu,
Is there any such rules/requests in any CIR or any upcoming laws for the CitizenShip Contingency?

Not only EB3 but almost all category backloged and all countries will be looking for this law. Due to Visa-unavailability, their 485 Applied status time will be counted (atleast partially like 70%) towards the Citizenship required period of @5 yrs ? We all know that unless we upgrade to EB2 or more, we don't have quick GC chances..

Is this happening by any chance ?

:D :confused:

No chance or any effort by anyone for this citizenship rule at this time.

We have to launch a separate effort for this big change if decided. There is not enough bandwidth, support or resources for it. It will be successful only if a lot more people including greencard holders actively pursue this agenda.

sunnymit
04-13-2010, 04:07 PM
How is the CIR going to help us EB folks if it talks about adding 12M more people in the EB category - even if the annual quota is increased to a certain degree. I still can't comprehend that... can someone explain this?

kartikiran
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
No chance or any effort by anyone for this citizenship rule at this time.

We have to launch a separate effort for this big change if decided. There is not enough bandwidth, support or resources for it. It will be successful only if a lot more people including greencard holders actively pursue this agenda.

Pappu, I commend that the primary focus for IV is green card. I believe that is better than any stop gap solution like EAD before 485 stage etc.

Anyway, I hope apart from the bills I wish we take up more conversations with USCIS & DOS about EB3 category. I believe anything that benefits EB3 will definitely benefit EB2 too, but not the vice-versa. I can be called selfish as I belong in that category, but I truly believe in this. Especially after waiting for more than 8 years the concept of looking out for myself is thrown out of the window.

On a side note, I am surprised we have a thread called EB2-EB3 predictions, in which the entire thread is predicting only for EB2. I hope IV core will correct the title, so people who have lost hope don't go through more misery through false information from IV's page.

I have no problem with EB2 predicting and fighting for spillover, but the title should be apt than rubbing salt on the already painful EB3 applicants.

TeddyKoochu
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Pappu, I commend that the primary focus for IV is green card. I believe that is better than any stop gap solution like EAD before 485 stage etc.

Anyway, I hope apart from the bills I wish we take up more conversations with USCIS & DOS about EB3 category. I believe anything that benefits EB3 will definitely benefit EB2 too, but not the vice-versa. I can be called selfish as I belong in that category, but I truly believe in this. Especially after waiting for more than 8 years the concept of looking out for myself is thrown out of the window.

On a side note, I am surprised we have a thread called EB2-EB3 predictions, in which the entire thread is predicting only for EB2. I hope IV core will correct the title, so people who have lost hope don't go through more misery through false information from IV's page.

I have no problem with EB2 predicting and fighting for spillover, but the title should be apt than rubbing salt on the already painful EB3 applicants.

While I completely agree with the fact that many good people are suffering in Eb3. I find your statement " I believe that is better than any stop gap solution like EAD before 485 stage etc." completely unacceptable, it is your private judgement. I respect your views no offence meant just a healthy discussion. What is priority is really IV cores perogative, I accept and respect that. Allowing people to file for 485 does not undermine or push back anybody's position.

There are many people who have missed July 07 and were not able to file for their 485's. I believe that not being able to file for EAD/AP or being in EB3 is equally worse both having their own worse or worst sides however you look at it.

kartikiran
04-13-2010, 05:52 PM
While I completely agree with the fact that many good people are suffering in Eb3. I find your statement " I believe that is better than any stop gap solution like EAD before 485 stage etc." completely unacceptable, it is your private judgement. I respect your views no offence meant just a healthy discussion. What is priority is really IV cores perogative, I accept and respect that. Allowing people to file for 485 does not undermine or push back anybody's position.

There are many people who have missed July 07 and were not able to file for their 485's. I believe that not being able to file for EAD/AP or being in EB3 is equally worse both having their own worse or worst sides however you look at it.

TeddyKoochu, I sincerely wish even people like you who missed the July 07 boat to look for a similar approach. It is the same short-sightedness which ended up many people like me to get stuck in this backlog.

I sincerely wish you finish what you started which is getting your green card and getting out of this mess than trying to look for an EAD.

Given a choice would you prefer to get an EAD/AP or Green Card? I am sure your answer would be the latter.

So IV Core working towards the green card is more apt for everybody whether you filed in 2009 or 2007 or 2001 or 2002 than working on stop gap solutions. In my opinion it is resources(people, money, time etc) used towards not a solution but a temporary fix.

I hope you get your GC to sooner. Whether you get it before me or after me or with me I do not care. Hope you understand that I have waited for eight years and now want to get the broken parts fixed permanently than just taping it for time-being. If anything I know how frustrating it is even with EAD & AP life would be. You will still be looking for that visa bulletin month after month which I do not want anybody to go through.

GLTA.

Peace.

TeddyKoochu
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
TeddyKoochu, I sincerely wish even people like you who missed the July 07 boat to look for a similar approach. It is the same short-sightedness which ended up many people like me to get stuck in this backlog.

I sincerely wish you finish what you started which is getting your green card and getting out of this mess than trying to look for an EAD.

Given a choice would you prefer to get an EAD/AP or Green Card? I am sure your answer would be the latter.

So IV Core working towards the green card is more apt for everybody whether you filed in 2009 or 2007 or 2001 or 2002 than working on stop gap solutions. In my opinion it is resources(people, money, time etc) used towards not a solution but a temporary fix.

I hope you get your GC to sooner. Whether you get it before me or after me or with me I do not care. Hope you understand that I have waited for eight years and now want to get the broken parts fixed permanently than just taping it for time-being. If anything I know how frustrating it is even with EAD & AP life would be. You will still be looking for that visa bulletin month after month which I do not want anybody to go through.

GLTA.

Peace.

Thanks for your message I appreciate your response, itís a really healthy debate. The truth is that the situation is really bad if one is from a retrogressed country. Each of us has our own miseries so to say.

satyasrd
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
I agree that our efforts should be directed towards getting GC but at the same time there should be some relief for people waiting to file their I-485 and get their EAD. We all know the pain and uncertainty associated with H1 renewal these days.
Please let me know if there are any efforts for this and I am willing to support.

eastindia
04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree that our efforts should be directed towards getting GC but at the same time there should be some relief for people waiting to file their I-485 and get their EAD. We all know the pain and uncertainty associated with H1 renewal these days.
Please let me know if there are any efforts for this and I am willing to support.

If you have to choose between EAD and Greencard what will you choose? :)

kartikiran
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

satyasrd, I understand your concern & also it is true H1B has been marked as a bad apple in an immigrants basket full of apples. But understand that with an EAD, you will still be an apple who can be marked as another bad apple anytime(because of being in the immigrants basket).

It would be better if you can get out of that basket & try to become an orange, just because the difference between EAD and a GC is the same as the difference between apples and oranges. You simply cannot compare them.

My analogy aside, I would expect people who have just started their GC process to look for and work towards fixing the backlog other than looking for temporary relief. Otherwise, you would be waiting in line like me for more than 8 years in the middle of a bermudean triangle where the triangle is cornered by USCIS, attorneys and employers. You have no way out & you will be lost, looking for a way out from a compass commonly referred as "visa bulletin" month after month.

I can bring you many analogies, but if we drop discussions about predictions, categories, countries, spillovers etc, it is possible to form a bigger group to show our strength in unity and work towards clearing this backlog of people waiting for green card.

Also, if every person waiting can get the support of atleast 3-5 green card holder/US Citizens who got there via this EB-based approach, it is possible to make some noise between the walls of congress.

I know IV core is doing all of this to their best, but I wish people drop their predictions and get into actions. Whenever I ask for these kind of approach where we can wish unity, I have constantly been put down saying we need to find from USCIS about spillover & why it is not happening etc.

Anyway, so much to explain, but if we all do not act now, we all are looking another 10-20 years of wait time, some with EADs and AP & some without.

Best of luck & hope people start thinking for a permanent approach & not interim relief.

P.S. I understand green card is a privilege & it is not my right. But in my opinion no process should give someone an opportunity without giving an answer for a long long time. In life don't we all work with deadlines? Same way, all that we want to know is have a process which has a deadline towards when it can be finished. It should never be forever a work-in-progress.

h1b_morrisville
04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Pappu,

Not to belittle IV and its achievements so far, but is there any realistic chance of a bill passing even if all of us contribute? We have SO many hurdles facing us in senate/congress. The first one is the anti-immigrant community of course, who use things like national security, population explosion and "American jobs going to non-Americans" as the primary defense mechanism.

To add to that we now have the Congressional Hispanic Caucus opposing any piecemeal legislature aiding legals only because they want CIR to pass so that the 12 million+ undocumented workers, can now become an eligible vote bank.

To add to that, the economy is down in the dumps. That combined with the on-going war means that immigration is the ABSOLUTE last thing on the average American/Law maker's mind. The law makers are having enough trouble easing the life of voting citizens, to care about people who are not even eligible to vote at present. To be honest, I don't know if I can even fault them. This really is a time of crisis in America.

All this taken into account, is there any REAL chance that the law makers will actually consider a bill on immigration?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I DO want to see progress. I am just unable to see past these 3 top problems.

imh1b
04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Pappu,

Not to belittle IV and its achievements so far, but is there any realistic chance of a bill passing even if all of us contribute? We have SO many hurdles facing us in senate/congress. The first one is the anti-immigrant community of course, who use things like national security, population explosion and "American jobs going to non-Americans" as the primary defense mechanism.

To add to that we now have the Congressional Hispanic Caucus opposing any piecemeal legislature aiding legals only because they want CIR to pass so that the 12 million+ undocumented workers, can now become an eligible vote bank.

To add to that, the economy is down in the dumps. That combined with the on-going war means that immigration is the ABSOLUTE last thing on the average American/Law maker's mind. The law makers are having enough trouble easing the life of voting citizens, to care about people who are not even eligible to vote at present. To be honest, I don't know if I can even fault them. This really is a time of crisis in America.

All this taken into account, is there any REAL chance that the law makers will actually consider a bill on immigration?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I DO want to see progress. I am just unable to see past these 3 top problems.

These are HUGE problems you have listed.

I cannot even imagine how you are coping with these problems like war, anti-immigrants, economy, Hispanic caucus etc etc....

If you think nothing is possible and there are so many problems in this country, why are you living here? How about packing bags and going to the peaceful Himalayas or your own happy motherland.

You are really a pessimist. Are you laid off and depressed or have some other issues?

kartikiran
04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
These are HUGE problems you have listed.

I cannot even imagine how you are coping with these problems like war, anti-immigrants, economy, Hispanic caucus etc etc....

If you think nothing is possible and there are so many problems in this country, why are you living here? How about packing bags and going to the peaceful Himalayas or your own happy motherland.

You are really a pessimist. Are you laid off and depressed or have some other issues?

imh1b, I partially agree with your assessment of H1b_morrisville. It is possible the person is a pessimist/depressed, due to frustration of waiting(if waiting from feb 02-EB3 as I am pretty close too to that date). I may not put it as laid off etc as we all know how difficult it is to overcome & face those kind of scenarios.

anyway, my reply to h1b_morrisville would be because of the mountain(himalayas) of hurdles we have in front of us(as pointed by you) is more the reason to stay united than divided by the name of categories, countries, visas etc.

Peace.

satyasrd
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I am a consultant looking for a full time opportunity and in the past couple of months there were three companies (not consulting companies) willing to take me on board full time but the moment they heard I am on H1B, backed out. I know at least for one an EAD would have been sufficient.
I am sure there are thousands affected like me and honestly in the short term we would all opt for an EAD.
This is for anyone out there who is willing to put in an effort into this. Thanks.

h1b_morrisville
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok I thought that this forum was for exchanging thoughts and ideas, but clearly expressing genuine concerns = being pessimistic/depressed. Did you see anywhere in my post where I mentioned that we should pack our bags and leave?

Can either of you DISPUTE any of the points I have listed above? Can either of you give me counter points to any of the concerns I have raised? Do you see anything in my post that is divisive in nature? Have I stated anywhere that we should give EB3-I preference or eb2-I preference. In fact this thread by it's very nature is more divisive than any of the concerns I have raised. BTW I too am EB3 India and my PD is also mid june 2003.

All I am asking for someone in the IV core to shed some light onto this issue. I know the actual strategy probably can't be discussed in an open forum, but some hints or some light on this subject would be appreciated.

No i am not depressed. No I am not laid off and NO! I am NOT packing my bags and going anywhere else.

skgs2000
04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi satyasrd..i can help. send me a pm. what r u proposing how to tackle this?

kartikiran
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Ok I thought that this forum was for exchanging thoughts and ideas, but clearly expressing genuine concerns = being pessimistic/depressed. Did you see anywhere in my post where I mentioned that we should pack our bags and leave?

Can either of you DISPUTE any of the points I have listed above? Can either of you give me counter points to any of the concerns I have raised? Do you see anything in my post that is divisive in nature? Have I stated anywhere that we should give EB3-I preference or eb2-I preference. In fact this thread by it's very nature is more divisive than any of the concerns I have raised. BTW I too am EB3 India and my PD is also mid june 2003.

All I am asking for someone in the IV core to shed some light onto this issue. I know the actual strategy probably can't be discussed in an open forum, but some hints or some light on this subject would be appreciated.

No i am not depressed. No I am not laid off and NO! I am NOT packing my bags and going anywhere else.

h1b_morrisville, easy buddy. in an open forum lot of things are said. i have gone from extreme reds to extreme greens. what a color change within IV. I did not mean anything offensive. I apologize publicly if i did. If anything I understand your plight as I am on the same boat.

You have valid points, which I referred to as mountain of hurdles. But my point we cannot stop and if we come together we can push for the reforms.

To quote Obama(mildly), "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress."

satyasrd
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
skgs2000 -

Thanks for your response. I have sent you a pm.

amitjoey
04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
It does not matter whether we are EB2/3. We all need to get together and start a positive campaign to help ourselves.
We do need to lobby hard and all of us need to visit our lawmakers:

We do have a paid lobbying firm that represent our interests and educates lawmakers. This is not enough, because during debates lawmakers behave as if they do not have highly skilled immigrants in their constituency and so do not have to pay attention. This is mainly IV members fault, since we have not been able to visit lawmakers offices in the numbers that we should. Our members need to show up at lawmakers offices and educate them. Tell them you live in their constituency and represent IV so that when the lobbying firm does their work, they are paying attention and our voices are not ignored or drowned.

Individual members need to be open,honest, and courageous enough to talk to their lawmakers and media about issues we face. Just crying and debating on IV's website does not help.

Secondly: Let us Start a campaign specifically for collecting money in preparation for the CIR effort.

General IV Donations is the money raised for lobbying. Lobbying takes up a big chunk of this effort. This is what we need specifically to prepare ourselves for 2010 CIR.
But the reality is that individual contributions do not add up to reflect the strength of our organisation. We are 30,000 strong but are unable to collect even $10,000 every month. That is less than 30 cents per member per month.

h1b_morrisville
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
h1b_morrisville, easy buddy. in an open forum lot of things are said. i have gone from extreme reds to extreme greens. what a color change within IV. I did not mean anything offensive. I apologize publicly if i did. If anything I understand your plight as I am on the same boat.

You have valid points, which I referred to as mountain of hurdles. But my point we cannot stop and if we come together we can push for the reforms.

To quote Obama(mildly), "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress."

No Worries dude. I wasn't actually referring to your post but to the one above it. I agree that we need to push on, no matter what. However we do need to, at some points, get some reality/fact checks so that we're not laboring under false hope.

i4u
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
getting a little away from the topic,
why are the processing times of the centers so varied? the uscis website displays CA at 29.5 months while texas is 5.3 months - why such inconsistencies??????????
just trying to understand how this uscis works :eek:

gvenkat
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think it'e even worth waiting for this EB3. I would rather apply for Canada and see if there are opportunities available over the 5 year period to maintain the residency.

I think waiting for US GC is just a futile process....It's just not worth it

i4u
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
yes we have to be united and face this together. We have to support IV in any way we can. We need to follow their action items - our support will go a long way in moving things legislatively (i hope),
giving up will only extend our pain....

It does not matter whether we are EB2/3. We all need to get together and start a positive campaign to help ourselves.
We do need to lobby hard and all of us need to visit our lawmakers:

We do have a paid lobbying firm that represent our interests and educates lawmakers. This is not enough, because during debates lawmakers behave as if they do not have highly skilled immigrants in their constituency and so do not have to pay attention. This is mainly IV members fault, since we have not been able to visit lawmakers offices in the numbers that we should. Our members need to show up at lawmakers offices and educate them. Tell them you live in their constituency and represent IV so that when the lobbying firm does their work, they are paying attention and our voices are not ignored or drowned.

Individual members need to be open,honest, and courageous enough to talk to their lawmakers and media about issues we face. Just crying and debating on IV's website does not help.

Secondly: Let us Start a campaign specifically for collecting money in preparation for the CIR effort.

General IV Donations is the money raised for lobbying. Lobbying takes up a big chunk of this effort. This is what we need specifically to prepare ourselves for 2010 CIR.
But the reality is that individual contributions do not add up to reflect the strength of our organisation. We are 30,000 strong but are unable to collect even $10,000 every month. That is less than 30 cents per member per month.

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't think it'e even worth waiting for this EB3. I would rather apply for Canada and see if there are opportunities available over the 5 year period to maintain the residency.

Yes way to go...you need to take charge of your career and life. Life is too precious to be wasted over a green card wait...However Canada permanent residency is now restricted to 38 occupations. So you need to check whether you qualify.

gvenkat
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes way to go...you need to take charge of your career and life. Life is too precious to be wasted over a green card wait...However Canada permanent residency is now restricted to 38 occupations. So you need to check whether you qualify.

When I checked last, I don't think there was any restriction and I qualified. Not sure what's the situation now. :)

wizpal
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I know IV has been spending/investing loads of money with a lobbying firm. Has there been any tangible benefit so far. I think it is a waste of money. CIR won't happen in the foreseeable feature and keeping EB immigration hostage to pass it is ridiculous. I would say we should rather spend the money on other venues like news portals, and public rallies to educate the law makers and citizens about our plight to bring about a piecemeal bill.

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
When I checked last, I don't think there was any restriction and I qualified. Not sure what's the situation now. :)

Here is the list of 38 occupations

Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp)

isedkeem
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM

There are other options to consider as well like New Zealand or Australia both of which offer a high quality of life and better weather compared to Canada.. its also easier to migrate to NZ if you have good skills. I also had an Indian colleague who managed to transfer to Singapore and seems to be liking it there and proximity to India is another plus for him. So I think that there are good options out there.
India is in a bad shape when it comes to EB3 but at some point there just has to be some sort of fix for it, the only question is how long before that happens. Personally being in EB3-ROW, I see the pain very clearly but thankfully I am almost done moving into EB2.

gvenkat
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Here is the list of 38 occupations

Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp)

I believe we typically fall under this category

0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers

Although that's a loose definition. :)

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I know IV has been spending/investing loads of money with a lobbying firm. Has there been any tangible benefit so far. I think it is a waste of money. CIR won't happen in the foreseeable feature and keeping EB immigration hostage to pass it is ridiculous. I would say we should rather spend the money on other venues like news portals, and public rallies to educate the law makers and citizens about our plight to bring about a piecemeal bill.

wizpal...last time any immigration bill passed was in 2000. In the past 10 years , the Hispanic caucus has grown in number and much more powerful and enough to hold the EB immigration package hostage. Rallies is all about numbers and illegal numbers are huge :12-20 million and they have greater impact.

gvenkat
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
The problem with US GC processing is, Typically only EB3-I has a problem not any other category.. They get theirs processed in atmost 5-7 years.. This EB3-I is just plain stupidity and It's just not worth it unless there is a legislation to change that category alone.

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
The problem with US GC processing is, Typically only EB3-I has a problem not any other category.. They get theirs processed in atmost 5-7 years.. This EB3-I is just plain stupidity and It's just not worth it unless there is a legislation to change that category alone.

That is why removal of country quota is difficult politically. ROW has the vested interest in keeping the country quota system, otherwise I, C, M and P will flood the ROW.

Fighting for a great slice of the same pie is harder than fighting for a bigger pie.

sareesh
04-15-2010, 10:19 AM

As Priority dates moves so will be porting, so not only EB3 I, EB2 I will be stuck in 2006 for long long time. Bottom line it does not matter whether EB2 I or EB3 I.

Thanks,
SG.

gvenkat
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
That is why removal of country quota is difficult politically. ROW has the vested interest in keeping the country quota system, otherwise I, C, M and P will flood the ROW.

Fighting for a great slice of the same pie is harder than fighting for a bigger pie.

Unless that's taken out or a legislation to recapture visa numbers is brought out what is the possible solution? I just see no light at the end of the tunnel

regacct
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM

As its being discussed, the only way EB3 I and EB2 I will ever get relief is through legislation - be it recapture or eliminating country caps. We have to have a lobby firm - without which we will not have a clue of whats happening within the chambers and members of congress. So we have to keep lobbyists.

Secondly, we have to be more active (rallies, meeting with legislators etc.,) We should bring pressure from all sides. Numbers matter. The reason illegal immigration gets coverage is because they are in huge numbers and they are active in organizing rallies ...... We all have jobs,, family and gc frustration, but sometimes I wonder if we ever do anything about it?

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Unless that's taken out or a legislation to recapture visa numbers is brought out what is the possible solution? I just see no light at the end of the tunnel

Yes EB people are in a tight spot. Hispanic lobby is powerful enough to halt all EB reform but not yet powerful to get CIR done. Even tough Hispanic have a high growth rate in population but they do not have a good track record of naturalization (they stay on GCs) and also they do not have a track record of showing up for voting in an election.
Therefore democratic party is very much dependent on the independents and others to get elected (except for high immigrant areas like New York, California etc).
Thus they cant pass CIR.

So the result is a "stand-off" till either of 2 things happen:

1) CIR is given up for piecemeal.

2) Democratic party loses power in house/senate. The republican party would want to get the skil bill etc passed piecemeal to make the "amnesty" more difficult for democratic party (a political strategy).

What you need to do is ask yourself: Am I going to spend the years of my life
waiting in incertainity for GC or I will take charge and decide to look elsewhere outside the
GC wait.

I see people with PD of 2009 etc...and I wonder what are these people thinking when they apply for GC. Are they not aware of the mess ? I always tell the new generation in early 20s not to go after US GC etc. They should look after their career growth and go wherever there is greater opportunity and US is not the place any more. It is over...one need to stop living in fantasy land.
If they still want to move to US ( nothing wrong in aspiring. US is still nice so long one has GC) then look for a US citizen to marry like most of the immigrants from other countries do. Skilled immigration is a path that is closed.

eb3retro
04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Yes EB people are in a tight spot. Hispanic lobby is powerful enough to halt all EB reform but not yet powerful to get CIR done. Even tough Hispanic have a high growth rate in population but they do not have a good track record of naturalization (they stay on GCs) and also they do not have a track record of showing up for voting in an election.
Therefore democratic party is very much dependent on the independents and others to get elected (except for high immigrant areas like New York, California etc).
Thus they cant pass CIR.

2) Democratic party loses power in house/senate. The republican party would want to get the skil bill etc passed piecemeal to make the "amnesty" more difficult for democratic party (a political strategy).

waiting in incertainity for GC or I will take charge and decide to look elsewhere outside the
GC wait.

I see people with PD of 2009 etc...and I wonder what are these people thinking when they apply for GC. Are they not aware of the mess ? I always tell the new generation in early 20s not to go after US GC etc. They should look after their career growth and go wherever there is greater opportunity and US is not the place any more. It is over...one need to stop living in fantasy land.
If they still want to move to US ( nothing wrong in aspiring. US is still nice so long one has GC) then look for a US citizen to marry like most of the immigrants from other countries do. Skilled immigration is a path that is closed.

well said go guy..you nailed it right..it aint worth it anymore, atleast for those with later PDs..its just not worth to put career at stake over GC.

dummgelauft
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Thus they cant pass CIR.

GC wait.

..yup, even I don't know what I was thinking..and I am a Canadian Citizen...was one, when I applied for my Greencard. I kind of got screwed by my previous employer who simply would not file in EB3, even back in 2003, but again, the things did not look as bad as they look now....
I don't know man..Canada..its just too socialist for my liking, has too few opportunities for my skill set, but yeah rather than waste one's time and money chasing the EB mirage, one could make a good life in Canada. I could have, and I don't even mind the deep freeze of the winter...

go_guy123
04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
..yup, even I don't know what I was thinking..and I am a Canadian Citizen...was one, when I applied for my Greencard. I kind of got screwed by my previous employer who simply would not file in EB3, even back in 2003, but again, the things did not look as bad as they look now....
I don't know man..Canada..its just too socialist for my liking, has too few opportunities for my skill set, but yeah rather than waste one's time and money chasing the EB mirage, one could make a good life in Canada. I could have, and I don't even mind the deep freeze of the winter...

Yes true. Having worked in US, Canada and India, I see that opportunities in Canada are limited (just 5 big banks: I moved from IT to finance sector after MBA) but still I say situation is better than working on H1B. At least my wife can work (she also works now). Yes there were roadblocks, Canada industry has a closed mindset...Canadian experience required etc. But once I was through that, things looked better. Yes taxes are high but I work on contract like a lot of Canadians do (and Americans did in the 70s when taxes were high there, till Reagan came to power)

Once citizenship is done, I might think of US or UK (preferable) on better terms and not "surrender everything for GC" terms. If GC comes along the way...take it like I always advice...but don't waste the prime years of life waiting for GC.