PDA

View Full Version : Schedule of Hearings on Immigration (Speaker Hastert Statement)

gc03
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
WASHINGTON, July 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) today released the following statement regarding upcoming immigration hearings:

lazy Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20060727/pl_usnw/speaker_hastert_statement_on_the_august_immigratio n_hearings__schedule_of_hearings_attached132_xml)
"Every state is a border state, and every town is a border town. I've just returned from a very informative trip to the southern border, but everywhere I travel around this country, illegal immigration is a top concern. It's a top concern among Americans because they want our southern and northern borders to be secure.

"Border security is an issue of national security. It is not a secret that terrorists and drug runners -- who want to do us harm -- are trying to find ways into our country and I believe we must first do everything we can to stop them.

"Before we can look at other immigration issues, we must first secure our borders. I am disappointed that the Democrats support a plan for open borders and a plan for amnesty. Their plan is just plain unacceptable.

"The Reid-Kennedy bill would require the United States to consult with Mexico before building a barrier at the border. Guaranteed Social Security benefits would be provided to illegal immigrants for the time they've been in the country. Illegal immigrants would only have to pay three out of the last five years of back taxes. If Americans tried to pay only the last three out of five years in back taxes, the IRS would probably put them in jail. This is unacceptable.

"Today we're proud to announce that eight of our committees are holding 19 hearings in 12 states this August. Our Republican Chairmen and Members are going to listen to the opinions and ideas of the American people. And when we return to D.C. in September, House Republicans will continue working to get a strong border security bill to the President's desk. It's what the American people want, and it's what House Republicans want for America."

-----

19 Hearings, 8 Committees, 12 States

Judiciary Committee

San Diego on Aug. 2 -- How do illegal immigrants impact the costs of healthcare, local education and other social services, and would these costs increase under Reid-Kennedy immigration bill?

El Paso, Texas, on Aug. 17 -- What is the financial impact of illegal immigration on communities along the U.S. border, and could these costs rise under the Reid-Kennedy bill? What is the impact on efforts to extend a border security fence under the Reid-Kennedy bill's requirements regarding consultation with the Mexican government? Will efforts to limit illegal immigration be inhibited by the Reid-Kennedy bill's provisions relating to local law enforcement?

Concord, N.H., on Aug. 24 -- How do illegal immigrants impact the costs of healthcare, local education and other social services, and would these costs increase under the Reid-Kennedy immigration bill? What is the societal impact of the Reid-Kennedy bill's grant of amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants?

Upstate New York on Aug. 25 -- What are the current risks of terrorists, narcotics smugglers and human traffickers infiltrating the United States, and what role do secure identification documents play in limiting those risks? Does the Reid-Kennedy bill undermine efforts to limit those risks?

Evansville, Ind., on Aug. 29 -- How are U. S. workers impacted and potentially displaced with the Reid-Kennedy bill?

Dubuque, Iowa, on Sept. 1 -- Do the Reid-Kennedy bill's amnesty provisions repeat the mistakes of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986?

-----

Armed Services Committee

Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich., on Aug. 1 -- What are the unique challenges for the Department of Defense in supporting border enforcement along the northern border?

Yuma Marine Corps Air Station, Ariz., on Aug. 2 -- What are the operational and training impacts of a porous border on military bases along the border?

-----

Homeland Security Committee

Bellingham, Wash., on Aug. 8 -- What are the border infrastructure successes since passage of the REAL ID Act and the 9/11 Commission Implementation Act, and what challenges still exist?

Austin, Texas, on Aug. 17 -- What are the criminal consequences of illegal immigration along the southern border?

-----

Intelligence Committee

Sierra Vista, Ariz., on Aug. 17 -- What is the state of technical surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities for monitoring the efforts of terrorists and drug cartels to infiltrate American soil through the Southern Border?

Grand Rapids, Mich., on Aug. 23 -- What is the threat to the United States from Islamic extremists who abuse the legal immigration system?

-----

Education and the Workforce Committee

Plano, Texas, on July 31 -- "Does the Reid-Kennedy bill weaken employment verification systems, making it easier for illegal immigrants to find work inside American borders?"

Gainesville, Ga., on Aug. 14 -- What is the impact on American workers and businesses of the Reid-Kennedy bill's provisions mandating Davis-Bacon wage rates for guest-workers?

-----

Energy and Commerce Committee

Nashville, Tenn., on Aug. 10 -- What is the impact of the Reid-Kennedy bill's amnesty provisions on the health care delivery system and for individual American taxpayers?

Dalton, Ga., on Aug. 15 -- What is the impact of the Reid- Kennedy bill's amnesty provisions on the health care delivery system and for individual American taxpayers?

-----

Government Reform Committee

San Diego, on Aug. 14 -- What is the impact on state and local governments, in terms of both societal costs such as policing and direct government costs such as health care and welfare benefits, of illegal immigration? Would the Reid-Kennedy bill impose huge unfunded mandates on state and local governments?

485Mbe4001
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
hogwash, what a waste of taxpayers money. even before they start the hearings we know what the end result will be.. there will be a statement saying that ' american people want borders to be secured first..blah..blah..' rigged from the start.
they should just kill the damn bill and move on, why waste so much time and money..

for_gc
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
This is simply ridiculous. They have taken some things out of context from the CIR to come up with these few paragraphs in this statement. Things like illegals being required to play only 3 year back taxes etc. Its so obvious that it is plain politics.

Also, CIR is not for open borders. They care about national security as well. The House republicans call for Border security first is totally impractical ... It is much more practical to handle the Security in parallel with taking care of other Immigration matters. In fact addressing larger immigration issues like having a good guest worker program may take away the need for lots of un-necessary patroling along the borders.

There is a reason why CIR is called Comprehensive Immigration Reform. The Senators are much more sensible.

Also, where is the President's and the Senators voice in all this. All we are hearing is from the vocal House republicans Hestert, Bohener etc ...

velan
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
After getting green card where are u going to fly? Aus or Canada or UK? No way, every one is going to live in USA only. You may change the employer A to B in USA. This could be lose to employer A but it will be gain to employer B, since they get permenant and skillful employee with reasonable package.

All big companies and goverment agencies need permenant employees with GC/Citizen. If you make more money, you are going spend/invest more here in USA, it is good for american economy.

Guys please don't pass negative comments about big corporates, there are big corporates which support our cause.

We legals do not really matter. So why struggle and waste the time? Why?

We are left behind and it seems like businesses do NOT really care about our problem. They do not push to pass any bill giving us relief. But if one closely analyzes the situation one quickly concludes passing a bill like that would not benefit employers. They all know that as soon as we get our GC or even EAD we can fly away. Employers do not necessarily like that! They want us, they want to use us, they want to utilize our skills. They own us. We are owned. OWNED!

I know this hurts but that's the truth we have to live with. Any comments?

regards

dixie
07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
We legals do not really matter. So why struggle and waste the time? Why?

We are left behind and it seems like businesses do NOT really care about our problem. They do not push to pass any bill giving us relief. But if one closely analyzes the situation one quickly concludes passing a bill like that would not benefit employers. They all know that as soon as we get our GC or even EAD we can fly away. Employers do not necessarily like that! They want us, they want to use us, they want to utilize our skills. They own us. We are owned. OWNED!

I know this hurts but that's the truth we have to live with. Any comments?

regards

Contrary to what you may think, US corporates are NOT all-powerful. They can lobby, but they cannot get bills passed at the drop of a hat. If that were the case, the cap on H1-B visas would have been long abolished, or at least increased to 2-3 times the current level. Having said that , coporates will use their resources to push for the cause that is most urgent to them. And it so happens that H1-B, temp business visas and other issues are of a higher priority to them than our cause. Life is all about perspectives after all .. our priority is not anyone else's priority.

mkiv
07-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Why do you guys keep discussing stupid things and keep arguing with each other. If you really have balls then let us start a movement and put up a strike to raise our concern. There is only one response to exploitation and that is strike. Dont you remember Gandhi Ji's Asahayog Andolan!!!

posmd
07-28-2006, 08:04 PM
It seems clear to me that the Repulican house feel like they are in trouble, they have been in control of the house for the last 12 yrs and that too for the last 6 with a Republican president.

Right now a lot of things are not going well and the American people are not all that thrilled with the goings on. Traditionally the House has been with the democrats and the stars seem to be aligning with them despite the democrats not being able to come up with any einsteinian ideas.
The Republicans appear to have decided that Immigration is one of the few issues they can use to mobilize their conservative base, much like the way they used the gay marriage issue in 2004.

The irony of this all is that if it backfires, a democratic house and this republican president will pass a bill very close to the senate version and the republican house will be left with egg on their faces in more ways than one. The resulting bill will be far "worse" for the conservatives than anything they can negotiate right now. It is unfortunate that they have chosen this path.

As I said before I do believe something will pass this year, now it is just more likely after the elections, I am just hoping it will have something in it for us legal immigrants. The worst news I have heard all year is the pence-kay bailey hutchinson proposal. That would favour Latin illegals and screw all else. That is the type of disaster I am afraid of from the republicans in a last ditch effort pre elections.

ghost
07-29-2006, 12:58 AM
-----------------------------

My dear friend.

What world are you living in? You are in Corporate America. Let me repeat that to you. CORPORATE. Does that make sense to you? If not I would guess you need to be educated a little bit. However I do not want to take on that responsibility to properly educate you. I can briefly say if you believe in what you said that corporate sector are NOT all-powerful all I can say is that you either smoke some good stuff or you simply are ignorant. In any case please do not feel offended. All am I trying to do is to make sure you are not falling into the trap of your own thinking. So please reiterate and get some education before making statements that you are not really sure you truly understand.

Regards

In your own words from one of your posts:
Don't get too extreme. Such posts do not bring anything useful to our case but on the contrary can be harmful. I know it is not easy but this is painful for all of us.

As I always say SILENCE IS GOLDEN but nobody tells you to be quiet. America is a land of freedom so is the speach. But only the smartest do win. Corporate America is the strongest in the world and we IV team is small. How can we win this battle? Is this possible? I think it is, by playing it smart. That's the only way.

Please take that into consideration and support all others in this forum.

thanks

Please stay away from trying to convince others that they smoke pot or they live in a different world. It is a small world but it is definitely a diverse world. Try and respect others view point. Did you get your H-1B extended yet:). If yes, congrats. If not, good luck!

iptel
07-29-2006, 04:39 AM
GC is holding us back both you and me alike frustration is flying high. But lets not forget no one promised us Garden of Roses. Things that you want the most never comes easy its all about persistance effort and our IV is on the track.
Its funny people in the forum talking about and comparing our fight for GC with Gandhi's fight for freedom. I belive such views are disgraceful and obnoxiously humiliation of the great soul. Well this forum is too small place to justify my statement. Ask your concience and you will find the answere.

This is the moment of overcoming our frustration and focussing effort toward our goal. Assisting the main stream IV Aman, Shilpa, Shrey and others are the steps in right direction.

dixie
07-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Just read my friend. All I was saying is we live in CORPORATE America & that corporations have lots of power. I am not seeing any contradiction with my previous statement and I am not convincing anyone that they smoke pot. Actually I have never mentioned a word pot so I do not quite understand why you striking on me like that.

And yes this is a small and diverse world I presume and I do respect others view point. However for one to make statements and comments on someone's point of view one needs to first understand what is really being said. I guess you missed that.

As for my H1-B extension I have not started the process yet. It is so expensive. Did they raise fees for it?

regards

Sometimes I find it hard to believe this forum is full of so-called "highly educated, highly skilled" immigrants. Hell, that doesnt equal CIVILIZED, right ? I dont see why you have to go bonkers over what I said; re-read my statement : I didnt deny corporations are powerful in this country; all I said was they are not ALL-POWERFUL. If that were the case, all illegals would have become citizens by now.After all the entire agriculture and restaurant industry behind them.Bill gates and Craig Barrett have been shouting from the rooftops at least for the last 2 years to abolish the H1-B quota; if the world worked according to your perception, why is there still a 65K cap ?. And for that matter, there would have been no water fountains left anywhere in america; you would have to buy coke or pepsi wherever you went.As for corporates not being behind us; its is a half-truth at the most. Go visit www.competeamerica.org; GCs are not their priority (naturally) but its certainly on their agenda. You are either tunnel-visioned or new to this immigration mess. Dont "educate" me about how america works .. your time is better spent "educating" your local congressman about the mess we are in ! No offence meant.Good luck with your H1-B extension.