PDA

View Full Version : I feel like we are losing our momentum

Jaime
09-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I feel like we are losing our momentum, the DC rally is past and now everyone is back to receipt-tracking, finger printing news, etc. Why are we doing this?

There's no time to lose, can't we see that?

Update from IV
Sept 30, 2007
We are planning an action item at this time. In a couple of days there will be an announcement of our plans and action item for everyone. There is a lot going on at this time in our advocacy efforts and the success we have achieved due to the rally and lobby day has helped us a lot in gaining much wider support for ourselves. We have gained lot of visibility and we are in a much better position than where we were in the beginning of this year when we tried to push for AOS provision. After Dream act and possibility of other immigration amendments have been off the table last week, the situation has changed for us and we will use other vehicles from few options available to us until this year end, to get relief for our community. Please stay tuned for the announcement in a couple of days.

DallasBlue
09-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi jaime,

we missed you on the Texas state chapter conference call today !! or least I did not here you :-(

We are planning to do a local meetup next week in dallas. And we are forming local groups to meet the lawmaker offices locally.

you have my Cell number, call me anytime , will be glad to discuss more with you!!

chanduv23
09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Jaime, come on my friend - we cannot keep on having rallies every week:)

IV has always been a one stop shop for highly skilled immigrants to discuss all sorts of issues.

The best thing to do now is to help mobilize a state chapter. This is the most difficult thing, you will know what I am saying when you get into it. IV still needs a lot of publicity.

Team building at State level is the need of the hour for IV.

Some real big events are lined up but till then lets concentrate on State Chapters.

orangutan
09-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I have seen several posts like this, as this is an open forum we will see all kinds of people with different threads.

If people really should not track any receipts or any other news in this web site, some one should be deleting those threads as soon as they are created.

I am not trying to be hard ass, we work for money and food but we don't work 24 Hours a day 7 days a week correct?Same theory people will have their own stress to find out certain things depending on their personal case apart from involving in the IV activities.

The people out there tracking receipts, FP news and EADs are not stupids, please understand.

I feel like we are losing our momentum, the DC rally is past and now everyone is back to receipt-tracking, finger printing news, etc. Why are we doing this?

There's no time to lose, can't we see that?

paskal
09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
you are right orangutan, those are good analogies too.
i think jaime's (and other's) frustration comes from the fact that a good number of those that inhabit the tracking threads do precisely nothing else. of course this is not true of everyone- many active members also track their receipts etc. those threads are not deleted because we want everyone to be able to get information. however i do hope that the message will finally go through- ultimately iv is a grassroots organization working for immigration reform for highly skilled professionals- not just a bulletin board or forum. we can only succeed when members realize the importance of solving this problem and realize that without some active measures on EVERYONE's part, this will not happen.

welcome to iv, feel free to track your status and gather info. please also join your state chapter and get involved with other activities...hope to hear a lot more from you in the future!

orangutan
09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Sure Mr.Paskal, I will definetly involve in my state chapter activities.

I wasn't aware of IV before, one of my co-worker tried explaining during this month second week.It took a while for me to go through this web site and to understand the activities of the core group.I felt bad for not able to attend DC rally but at that time I don't have understanding of what IV is and what they do. Now I know what 'WE' do.

I personally got my RNs, EADs and you do not believe I have not tracked my checks a single day.I was informed by my attorney 2 days after they got Recipt Notice and FP notices.One more thing is after my FP is done , my co workers (who also filed 485) are pushing me to call USCIS and find out Name Check status.I didn't do that and I am not going to do that. I don't think these trackings will no good for ME (not talking about other people) other than stress.:).I will end up taking an appointment with you drive up to MN :)

I clearly understand and respect your words as you are one of the core team spending lot of your time not just for you and specially for EveryBody.

you are right orangutan, those are good analogies too.
i think jaime's (and other's) frustration comes from the fact that a good number of those that inhabit the tracking threads do precisely nothing else. of course this is not true of everyone- many active members also track their receipts etc. those threads are not deleted because we want everyone to be able to get information. however i do hope that the message will finally go through- ultimately iv is a grassroots organization working for immigration reform for highly skilled professionals- not just a bulletin board or forum. we can only succeed when members realize the importance of solving this problem and realize that without some active measures on EVERYONE's part, this will not happen.

welcome to iv, feel free to track your status and gather info. please also join your state chapter and get involved with other activities...hope to hear a lot more from you in the future!

aviko21
09-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree with Jaime entirely. As I wrote in a different post, my information nowadys comes from numbersusa. The reason being that on their website, even when they get a whiff of any legislation, they start webfaxes, phone calls etc.

The question is not whether people shouldn't be on this site for information but whether we can remain proactive at reaching our goals!

For instance right now when dream n strive and the cornyn am. was introduced why weren't we countering numbersusa webfaxes?

Again not trying to offend anyone, just trying to say lets be more proactive!
On a sidenote, i was interested in the ead card time frame too!

seahawks
09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I think the next move is to strengthen state chapters. We must start contributing actively to the state chapter. Even though it seems like some state chapters are sleeping, I can see the importance of grass roots level organization on a state to state basis. This helps meeting local law makers, talking face to face with members and being more active as part of local group. It is hard work but we must all start working to getting this ball rolling.

smc
09-30-2007, 11:03 AM
The Senate recesses for the winter break on November 15th. If anything is to happen, whether visa recapture or anything else, it would have to happen by then. I doubt very much whether any of these things will happen in January.

I do visit the numbersusa site occasionally, they do seem to be more proactive and aggressive than us in terms of getting what they want.

Jaime
09-30-2007, 11:41 AM
The Senate recesses for the winter break on November 15th. If anything is to happen, whether visa recapture or anything else, it would have to happen by then. I doubt very much whether any of these things will happen in January.

I do visit the numbersusa site occasionally, they do seem to be more proactive and aggressive than us in terms of getting what they want.

This is what I mean, we had the rally on a perfect date, prior to these few last precious weeks when we might get the attention of Congress before they ignore us for at least a year with the election stuff. Yes, State chapters are very important, but can't we multitask? We can certainly focus on our state chapters but that should be an ongoing process (and it is a slower process too). We should also be taking advantage of the momentum we created with the rally and focusing on action items to get the attention of Congress before December (meaning NOW). It almost seems like we work in a knee-jerk reaction kind of fashion. There are more of us than there are NumbersUSA anti-immigrants, but they beat us every time because they multitask and FOLLOW-UP!!! I know that the reason is that the great majority of us got their EADs and APs and could care less. That is why they use IV as just a bulletin board. Well, good for you all! I hope that you get your GC soon and not have to renew your docs for years, stuck in the process as you are even now. But if you do remain stuck in the backlog tomrrow due to your inaction of today just don't come here and start threads to complain.

There's a saying in my country of origin that differet people find the results that they deserve. What that means is that by our inaction (for whatevr reason) we DO deserve to be stuck in the backlogs, and we shouldn't be complaining.

paskal
09-30-2007, 12:06 PM
hi jaime and others,

there is a campaign brewing at the state chapters level and it should not be underestimated. state chapters are able to contact and influence lawmakers very effectively. other measures are also being taken behind the scenes. it is urgent right now that EVERYONE joins their state chapters or helps create chapters where none exist. further directions on action may come from your leaders there rather than being publicly posted. we will soon have a link up on the homepage to all existing state chapters and their contact persons. in the meanwhile anyone with questions...ask here and we will direct you to your local group. this is as important as any action we have taken, do not think that it's any less because it's local- remember "all politics is local"!
amny chapters are already organizing conference calls and campaigning for new members- please respond and attend the calls, get togethers are alos being arranged in tri state and texas so members can get to know each other and plan ahead. be sure to attend!

seahawks
09-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Without knowing much details or posting in forums, IV core is currently involved in gathering lobby day information and reviewing them in detail. We have many rally goers who put hours and hours of work that are catching up with work at office or getting to know their families:)

Having said that on a serious note, everyone who has not joined a state chapter, please do so and be very active. Even though electronic media is very powerful and people do hear a lot in forums, organized efforts, initiatives and spreading the message all happens in a more efficient way in the state level. So here is the thought, we have active members who are very involved and want to do something constructive. We have passive members who may be shy or may have not gotten the whole picture of what IV is about or how they can all make an impact. Can we all start convincing the not so active members how we can all help IV in its initiatives and speak in one voice? For instance, as simple as a digg it campaign that we started got 73 diggs, I was looking for 4000. From what I understand message gets lost, people see it and thinks to do it later or members don't know what digg is, or about winning the media battle. It could also mean, what difference could a digg mean to me, or some one else would do it, why bother. To me if each of the state chapters had taken this up, probably made members aware on why or how, we could reach those numbers.

So bottom line, how can we all help our local state chapter, it may mean meeting members, conference calling, encouraging members, making new friends and educating why we all need to be part of IV. Electronically that message does not always get through. We want all members to feel we are all part of the IV family, we are all in it together for fighting for the same cause. Once that feeling comes, to me that is one most important thing to get everyone fired up! Lets all work to make that happen.

sands_14
09-30-2007, 01:31 PM
09/30/2007: Today Marks the End of FY 2007, and New Fiscal Year 2008 Dawns Tomorrow

As the FY 2007 sunsets in the mid-night today, all the immigrant visa numbers for FY 2007 which have not been used will be wasted. Beginning tomorrow, the new FY 2008 immigrant visa numbers and certain nonimmigrant immigrant numbers that have annual cap such as H-1B, H-2B, H-C, etc. will be allocated and both new immigrants and nonimmigrants of these types either obtain new statuses or visas through the USCIS and the U.S. visa posts throughout the world.
Today also marks practical end of the foreign labor certification Backlog Elimination Program. The DOL has yet to release information on the status of backlog elimination as at the end of today, but their earlier prediction was that because of the number of cases that requested reconsideration for denials and some unresolved issues such as correction of their errors, the BEC may continue for a while.
FY 2008 will also mark a lead year to the national election in November 2008 and the national immigration policies and legislative activities will be heavilly affected by the election politics and loaded with the new policy decisions and legislations which are motivated by the election politics. The party politics will reach the peak until the primaries are over which will start in February 2008 and the division of the Democrats and the Republicans in the immigration issues will indeed extrapolate from one end to the other end as the Republican candidates will try to win the hardliner conservatives in the Republican power base and the Democratic candidates will try to win the hardliner liberals and progressive forces including labor unions, and the Hispanics in the Democratic power base. Accordingly, any immigration bills that are focused only on the one-party political agenda are likely to fail unless the other party's political agenda are in one way or another accomodated. For instance, the Senate Majory Leader, Sen. Harry Reid, promises to bring back the DREAM Act bill in the mid-November as an independent bill after failing to attach it to the National Defense Authorization Act, but unless the Senator Durbin's bill is substantially compromised and readjusted, it will face a steep opposition from the conservation members in the House and the Senate, even though the 40-million strong Hispanics will bite strongly in this issue with the threat to retaliate the Republicans in the national election just as they did in the 2006 mid-year national election. Currently the state tuition break remains one of the hot bottons. In the legal immigration legislation, the Republicans will face two challenges, one from its own ultra conservative forces within the Republican Party and the other from the progressive and liberal members of the Democratic Party. Accordingly, it will remain an uphill battle to see any legal immigration bills resolved before the primaries. Obviously, each party may introduce various immigration bills during the period, but most of these bills may be tainted in that they are politically motivated.
Once the primaries are over, they turn somewhat flexible and freed from the extrapolated party politics. The focus will rather move to the public opinions. However, once the primaries are over, the Congress will have a very limited and short-duration sessions before the Summer recess and the national election, and because of this, the pundits have been predicting that the immigration legislations will not be able to see any light until after the national election in November and until early 2009 after the new Congress steps in.
Immigrants will thus have to prepare themselves to deal with their current problems involving the bottlenecks in the legal immigration and the continuing challenges in the illegal immigrantion communities relating to the border security and immigration enforcement until 2009.

Visas from last 10 years should be recaptured.Lets aim for this or else it will be 2015 before lot of us waiting for last 5-6 years will get GC.Obvioulsy we will carry on efforts for a Bill but senate will take time.USCIS at least can recapture numbers which they have done in past for Nurses,etc.

go_guy123
09-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I have given up hope in US immigration. Its dead....I came to US to do
masters in 1999....now I have moved to Canada and doing MBA here.

Its almost a decade since 2000 when the last immigration reform took place

swamy
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone knows if there is a Detroit/Michigan chapter? Also, is there a way we can engage the scums from numbersusa directly? I think the focus on trying to get out just compelling stories from folks stuck in the visa backlog might not be enough. If we can debate the xenophobes like lou dobbs directly there may be a way out. Also, yelling about the 'reverse brain drain' because of the visa backlog route won't help - these nazis dont care in the least if US loses brown people - all they want is somehow to stop the immigration. I think we should directly tackle the racists at CIS/numbersusa even though they are very very powerful.

Libra
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
chintu25 is co ordinating the MI state chapter, i guess, pm him. he'll contact you. and please update your profile so that he can call you. thanks.

Anyone knows if there is a Detroit/Michigan chapter? Also, is there a way we can engage the scums from numbersusa directly? I think the focus on trying to get out just compelling stories from folks stuck in the visa backlog might not be enough. If we can debate the xenophobes like lou dobbs directly there may be a way out. Also, yelling about the 'reverse brain drain' because of the visa backlog route won't help - these nazis dont care in the least if US loses brown people - all they want is somehow to stop the immigration. I think we should directly tackle the racists at CIS/numbersusa even though they are very very powerful.

pappu
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
We are planning an action item at this time. In a couple of days there will be an announcement of our plans and action item for everyone. There is a lot going on at this time in our advocacy efforts and the success we have achieved due to the rally and lobby day has helped us a lot in gaining much wider support for ourselves. We have gained lot of visibility and we are in a much better position than where we were in the beginning of this year when we tried to push for AOS provision. After Dream act and possibility of other immigration amendments have been off the table last week, the situation has changed for us and we will use other vehicles from few options available to us until this year end, to get relief for our community. Please stay tuned for the announcement in a couple of days.

GCOP
09-30-2007, 07:04 PM
IV has organised Rally in D.C. Rally was a success. Also had meeting with Law makers. Thanks to IV Core group and volunteers for such a nice job.
Now, for any bill like, SKIL ACT, to be introduced and to be voted in Senate and House; I was wondering if IV can arrange meeting with Senate Majority leader, Minority leader, House speaker, House Majority leader and Minority leader and can explain the situation of unused and low visa numbers for legal employment based immigration.
I know, it is a tough task to arrange such a meeting but I thought if it is possible, at least we can try.

anilsal
10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
if you need to.

Send an email to IL AT immigrationvoice.com

I will get in touch with you.

swamy
10-03-2007, 10:46 AM
if you need to.

Send an email to IL AT immigrationvoice.com

I will get in touch with you.

I will - thanks