PDA

View Full Version : Rally Results ( Strong GOP support for Skilled immigration )

arnab221
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks like fruits of the rally are beginning to show up. All of a sudden the GOP is extending support for the immigration bill for the highly skilled . The below news articles reflect this news . Looks like the GOP and Dems have finally found common ground on this one .

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_7091661

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119154966904949270.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

GO IV GO .

Rally Participant ( 2 + 1)
Regular $ constributor .

chanduv23
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Great news :). Go IV go :)

RandyK
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Finally some positive news

gkdgopi
10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
:)Good to see something happening.
Good job IV!

vjkypally
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Thats great news

claudia255
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
That is great News! Hope they will materialize in some sort of relief for all EB immigrants.

BharatPremi
10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Those are lolipop to kids. Do not keep much hopes. It seems to be the strategy to cover more election fund from corporate America.. I see this as political game for funding. On first link only honest statement I could locate was from Ms Lofgren "Some names on there have never been allies on immigration reform," Lofgren said. "I'm glad to be surprised."

h1techSlave
10-05-2007, 11:37 AM
This is a very good development. And this time, they are not talking about a complete overhaul of the system. Just increase H1B visas and increase EB visa numbers.

Hope this is a less bitter pill for the common American populace to swallow.

nat23
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
It would be great if couple of members from Cincinatti area could pay a visit to Minority Leader Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio. This would drive our point further plus we can also use the 800,000 number that is floating around

RandyK

mhathi
Great news! Fight and fight till we succeed!!

sumansk
But for some reason Dems are not supporting any legal immigrants provisions including Hillary and Obama.. they are trying to become champion for the Illegals...So unless they have Dems support nothign can be done ...
One must keep the fingers crossed and watch...
I can only hope for some miracle...

logiclife
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Look at this part of Wall Street Journal :

HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers. But in the poll, 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship.

Look at this. Even when the conversation if totally on "high-killed workers", there is always and has to be always, a line or a sentence about illegal immigrants. Somehow, you cannot discuss anything about anything unless you have one line about illegal immigrants. The only sensible reason to discuss illegal immigration in same topic as "attract and retain" the "high-skilled workers" is that if there are people who are high-skilled, need to be "attracted and retained" and also happen to be "illegal".

So folks, look around yourself, do you find anyone who is "high skilled", "illegal" and also need better laws to be "attraced and retained". NASA folks and folks from silicon valley, please check the cubicle next to you to find an illegal rocket scientist or an undocumented microchip designer. Those damned illegal rocket scientists and doctors.

Hey WSJ...listen up !!! Are you being facetious, or are you really not as competant as people think you are ?

another one
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
GOP has mostly supported. It's the Democrats we need to get on board. Basically, we need to get our amendments in and convince Democrats to support without bringing in the issue of illegals.

Core, any directions or strategy? The democrats i met on the lobby day were supportive. Is there a way we can get unconditional support from either party within next month?

As i see it we should focus on lobbying with national congress in next month. There will be plenty of time for state chapters and socializing after that.

gc_dedo
10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Who is GOP?

chanduv23
10-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Who is GOP?

Government of Power?

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Good Joke :)

GOP = Grand Old Party (Republican party)

Although historically Democratic party is much older to RP

Government of Power?

sgupta33
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Government of Power?

GOP refers to Grand Old Party. It is the term used since 1880 to refer to the Republican party.

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
We gave flowers. Now lets give 'em some brickbats -

1) feedback@wsj.com
2) newseditors@wsj.com

Let the E-mailathon begin

Look at this. Even when the conversation if totally on "high-killed workers", there is always and has to be always, a line or a sentence about illegal immigrants.

Hey WSJ...listen up !!! Are you being facetious, or are you really not as competant as people think you are ?

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I sent them my share of brickbats. Have you?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

In your Online Edition the following section in a news item is misleading and misinforming.

HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers. But in the poll, 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship.

High Tech Employers DO NOT employ "Illegal Aliens". All immigrants sponsored by employers are law abiding LEGAL immigrants. Your news item is defamatory and libelous to legal Highly Skilled Immigrants who have been waiting for years, some as long as 6-7 years.

Please take corrective action to rectify the mistake ASAP.

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
XXXXX

1) feedback@wsj.com
2) newseditors@wsj.com

amitjoey
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM

1) feedback@wsj.com
2) newseditors@wsj.com

I agree, I was so upset when I read it... Thank you Logiclife for bringing that to our notice.
I just wrote an email to the editors with the email address provided by walking_dude. My email says this:

Dear Editor

You mention in an article dated today that "HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers". And in the same breath you say that "In a poll 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship." Do you know the difference between highly skilled legal immigrants and illegal immigrants?. Why do you have to imply that all highly skilled are illegal, infact 99.99% of highly skilled workers (Tech workers) came to the USA legally and continue to live legally. They are here at the behest of their employers.
So please correct your article to reflect that.

An Upset highly skilled worker

mugwump
10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
The Republican Party is reffered as the GOP

sunny1000
10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree, I was so upset when I read it... Thank you Logiclife for bringing that to our notice.
I just wrote an email to the editors with the email address provided by walking_dude. My email says this:

Dear Editor

You mention in an article dated today that "HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers". And in the same breath you say that "In a poll 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship." Do you know the difference between highly skilled legal immigrants and illegal immigrants?. Why do you have to imply that all highly skilled are illegal, infact 99.99% of highly skilled workers (Tech workers) came to the USA legally and continue to live legally. They are here at the behest of their employers.

I don't think they mean to say that High tech workers are illegal. They say that their poll indicates Republican voters who earn more than $75000 would like a candidate who opposes illegal immigration. Atleast, that is the way I read it.

They have to say they oppose illegal immigration because it is the WSJ. Republicans read it and they like bashing the illegals and it increases circulation.

Pineapple
10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
The immediate reference to illegal immigrants right after mentioning high tech workers does convey a link between the two, no matter how you slice and dice the semantics.

This is what I wrote to the editor, in response:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, Susan,

This is apropos of an article by John Harwood on the Washington Wire (October 5, 2007; Page A4), section High Tech Employers.
(See link here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119154966904949270.html?mod=googlenews_wsj )

In the article, John wrote, (I quote)

“HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers. But in the poll, 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship.”

The article strongly suggests a link between high tech employees and illegal immigrants. That is very far from the truth!! Almost all high skilled employees are employed legally, and there are stringent and complex rules and procedures for gaining employment legally for a high skilled person.

The woes of high skilled workers – delays of 7 to 10 years to get permanent residence in spite of following all the rules and contributing to society and taxes - are ignored by the media as well as politicians on left and right, allowing ill informed demagogues to set the agenda.

Sloppy journalism by the likes of Mr. Harwood does not help matters either. It would do him well to research the subject well before writing in a story just to beat an editorial deadline.

See www.immigrationvoice.org (http://www.immigrationvoice.org/) to see more on the issues faced by legal immigrants.

needhelp!
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM
done.

Jaime
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your attention. This is in regards to your online edition article today “Republicans Rev up for Economic Debate”

In your article the writer makes a link between high-skilled workers and illegal aliens by talking about the two groups in the same paragraph, thus conveying to the average reader that the two are connected, and/or that high-skilled workers are illegal yet “must be retained”

This is misleading in extreme. High-skilled workers are in the U.S. on Legal visas that are sponsored by their employers. These visas are issued to limited numbers of foreigners in areas where no American workers have been found. These legal workers have to go through grueling government “labor certifications” and extreme waits and red tape just to perform their work, which usually includes U.S. patents and successful start-ups. I urge you to make a correction or an errata to this article which is probably an honest mistake, but which is very unfair, misleading and just plain untrue. Thank you once more.

Sincerely:

alterego
10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Look at this. Even when the conversation if totally on "high-killed workers", there is always and has to be always, a line or a sentence about illegal immigrants. Somehow, you cannot discuss anything about anything unless you have one line about illegal immigrants. The only sensible reason to discuss illegal immigration in same topic as "attract and retain" the "high-skilled workers" is that if there are people who are high-skilled, need to be "attracted and retained" and also happen to be "illegal".

So folks, look around yourself, do you find anyone who is "high skilled", "illegal" and also need better laws to be "attraced and retained". NASA folks and folks from silicon valley, please check the cubicle next to you to find an illegal rocket scientist or an undocumented microchip designer. Those damned illegal rocket scientists and doctors.

To add to this point. This is AFTER the implosion of CIR on the Senate floor. CIR was supposed to be the reason issues around legal highly skilled immigration were deferred.
So, after deferral, implosion of CIR, we yet get a line clumping these two. It is almost like a nicotine addict trying to break the habit. Media can be so close minded.

All I can say is what IV has done to try to separate these two issues, is nothing short of herculean. Now atleast we are seeing some semblance of a separation. I think the Rally in DC was a highly significant moment in this regard. I am also pleasantly surprised to see as much attention given to the immigrant visa issue (ie green cards) as was to the rest of it. Previously highly skilled immigration was thought to be tantamount to H1b visas. The issue of permanent green cards was a footnote.

gc_chahiye
10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think they mean to say that High tech workers are illegal. They say that their poll indicates Republican voters who earn more than $75000 would like a candidate who opposes illegal immigration. Atleast, that is the way I read it.

They have to say they oppose illegal immigration because it is the WSJ. Republicans read it and they like bashing the illegals and it increases circulation.

no that makes no sense. There is absolutely no need to mention illegals in that paragraph where they are talking about high-skilled immigrants. There is no one (well except Bernie Sanders and Tom Tancredo) who is against high-skilled immigrants. Hard to find a line against our cause, so they lump in a line about illegals? Thats plain stupid.

glamzon
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks - Great News

h1techSlave
10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks Dude.

I have used your template to send my complaint to this misleading reference in their article.

Sub: Misleading reference in your article

Dear Sir/Madam,

In your Online Edition the following section in a news item is misleading and misinforming.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1191...googlenews_wsj
"HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help "attract and retain" high-skilled workers. But in the poll, 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship."

High Tech Employers DO NOT employ "Illegal Aliens". All immigrants sponsored by employers are law abiding LEGAL immigrants. Your news item is defamatory and libelous to legal Highly Skilled Immigrants who have been waiting for years, some as long as 6-7 years.

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
XXX
Legally working in the US since 1998.

I sent them my share of brickbats. Have you?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
XXXXX

sunny1000
10-05-2007, 02:55 PM
no that makes no sense. There is absolutely no need to mention illegals in that paragraph where they are talking about high-skilled immigrants. There is no one (well except Bernie Sanders and Tom Tancredo) who is against high-skilled immigrants. Hard to find a line against our cause, so they lump in a line about illegals? Thats plain stupid.

I got your point and that of logiclife's and I agree....there is no need for them to mention the illegals (a cheap attempt on the part of WSJ). I was merely pointing out that WSJ technically does not say that we (high tech workers) are illegal.

Jaime
10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I got your point and that of logiclife's and I agree....there is no need for them to mention it.

The writer could as easily have said "also" or "on an unrelated matter" or many other ways to dissociate "high-skilled" from "illegal", yet he purposefully chose to link the two with the word "but"

pappu
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
To add to this point. This is AFTER the implosion of CIR on the Senate floor. CIR was supposed to be the reason issues around legal highly skilled immigration were deferred.
So, after deferral, implosion of CIR, we yet get a line clumping these two. It is almost like a nicotine addict trying to break the habit. Media can be so close minded.

All I can say is what IV has done to try to separate these two issues, is nothing short of herculean. Now atleast we are seeing some semblance of a separation. I think the Rally in DC was a highly significant moment in this regard. I am also pleasantly surprised to see as much attention given to the immigrant visa issue (ie green cards) as was to the rest of it. Previously highly skilled immigration was thought to be tantamount to H1b visas. The issue of permanent green cards was a footnote.

We have tried very hard to separate ourselves and not be a hostage of other issues. Now there is more awareness on the greencard issue being separate from H1B. There is also more awareness that Immigration problem is not just about Illegals. There are legal immigrants too in this country suffering.

Pls post letters to the editor. Last week we are able to get CNN correct their incorrect reporting of the rally due to effort from everyone on the forum.

rpeter
10-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I just sent an email to WSJ telling them to correct their misrepresentation.

Dandruff
10-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I got your point and that of logiclife's and I agree....there is no need for them to mention the illegals (a cheap attempt on the part of WSJ). I was merely pointing out that WSJ technically does not say that we (high tech workers) are illegal.

the usage of "But" to start the sentence in the WSJ article implies it is related to the preceeding line. hth!

laborchic
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
This is a good development. I used the same template and have sent the email to WSJ.

alterego
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
We have tried very hard to separate ourselves and not be a hostage of other issues. Now there is more awareness on the greencard issue being separate from H1B. There is also more awareness that Immigration problem is not just about Illegals. There are legal immigrants too in this country suffering.

Pls post letters to the editor. Last week we are able to get CNN correct their incorrect reporting of the rally due to effort from everyone on the forum.

Dear Editor,

Thank you for your coverage today about an issue that is critical to the growing high tech. economy in the USA. The issue about the need for expansion of highly skilled immigrant visas to sustain this high growth part of our economy is something that is gaining increasing acceptance from lawmakers.
Having reported on that however, you did both this debate and your readers a tremendous disservice by mentioning in the same paragraph that "In a poll 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would "strongly" or "partially" agree with a candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship."
What was the relevance of this fact at that juncture of the piece considering you are discussing legal high-skilled immigration? I am sure you are aware that illegal immigration is not an issue in highly skilled immigration. Most people already realize there is opposition of republicans to illegal immigration, we saw the implosion of CIR on the senate floor this summer. The debate over immigration is a highly emotive one for the American public, the last thing they need is an influential newspaper such as yours associating these issues at a time when CIR is dormant. This is the type of reporting that can misguide the public.
Please correct this erroneous association which I suspect was an unintentional oversight given the impeccable journalistic reputation of your newspaper.

Karthikthiru
10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Did my share of it. Sent an e-mail to the editor

Thanks
karthik

mhathi
10-05-2007, 03:58 PM
sent email to the editors.

sunny1000
10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
"AMPLIFICATION: The above Washington Wire item on the letter from House Republicans to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of an immigration bill to "help and retain" high-skilled workers refers to legislation that would increase the number of H-1B visas and green cards for high-tech and other skilled workers. The question in the WSJ poll referred to a separate effort, pushed by President Bush, to revamp the immigration system and provide a path to citizenship for those in the U.S. illegally. The item wasn't intended to imply high-skilled workers are illegal immigrants"

They just updated with the above correction....:cool:

BharatPremi
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Government of Power?

original name: gallant old party, Popularly known as Grand Old Party - Pet name for republicans. I think anti slavery people established in 18th century.ABraham Lincoln was first president from GOP..

BharatPremi
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=3

mhathi
10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
"AMPLIFICATION: The above Washington Wire item on the letter from House Republicans to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of an immigration bill to "help and retain" high-skilled workers refers to legislation that would increase the number of H-1B visas and green cards for high-tech and other skilled workers. The question in the WSJ poll referred to a separate effort, pushed by President Bush, to revamp the immigration system and provide a path to citizenship for those in the U.S. illegally. The item wasn't intended to imply high-skilled workers are illegal immigrants"

Awesome Job, Guys! We did it again...

angelfire76
10-05-2007, 04:26 PM
:o

“HIGH-TECH EMPLOYERS get lift from House Republican letter to Speaker Pelosi urging passage of immigration bill to help “attract and retain” high-skilled workers. But in the poll, 56% of Republicans earning more than $75,000 annually would “strongly” or “partially” agree with candidate who would bar illegal immigrants from path to citizenship”

What is the intent in relating high skilled legal immigrants and illegal immigrants, with the usage of the word “But” in the next sentence? It is gross disinformation and tries to blend together two disparate immigration issues. I would think the WSJ would know better, considering that English is the first language of it’s writers and editors.

Just for the record: High skilled legal immigrants are here LEGALLY and have jumped through all the hoops thrown at them by the system, but are yet to find a solution to their misery due to a system which refuses to revisit its antediluvian rules."

GCplease
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Excellent news.

Now we are getting support from both the parties.

First the State Governors wrote a letter in favor of Legal High skilled Immigrants and now the GOP writes to the Dems in favor of Legal High skilled Immigrants. We can't ask for anything more than this. This is the right time.

We should bang on people like Zoe Lofgren's doors and ask them to create a bill which would only deal with us - Legal High skilled Immigrants. I think all the immigration bills presently on the floor has both legal and illegal immigration and so it would be diificult to pass them. In this present atmosphere a bill on legal high skilled immigrants could easily pass.

Core IV, please look into this and provide directions.

engineer
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
are we sure that they are not talking only about H1b?

Does following mean they are looking at Green Card as well ?

"attract and retain high-skilled workers to contribute and excel in the U.S. economy without unnecessary delays and waiting periods?

senthil1
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
They are talking about Both H1b and Green card. Corporations are pushing for increase in H1b also. But this time they are giving some importance to green card also. That is a good development. Already Skil bill by Cornyn is there. May be in next few weeks it may come for voting with or without attachment. But approximately 4 to 5 votes will decide the fate of the bill as usual in the Senate. And also as usual anti immigrants may push Durbin Grassley bill. We will wait and see.

"attract and retain high-skilled workers to contribute and excel in the U.S. economy without unnecessary delays and waiting periods?

GCplease
10-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Unnecessary delays and waiting periods points to the Green card wait time I believe.

smisachu
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
They are also called, as we were informed in the DC rally as the "NNP"...
No nothing party...lol

Good Joke :)

GOP = Grand Old Party (Republican party)

Although historically Democratic party is much older to RP

Omega30
10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
check this out...

On 11-sep-07, Governors of 13 States Write to Congress to Urge an Increase in the Availability of H1-B and Employment-Based Green Cards

http://www.immigrationlawgroup.net/news/20070913.pdf

it's all part of the game.. gyus

GTGC
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Post your comments at this WSJ article related blog (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/10/05/republican-candidates-rev-up-for-economic-debate/)

Thanks for the blog link....posting on thier blog would help create some awareness of the issue upfront- where other "misinformed" readers can read it and get the facts right!

drona
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I have sent another email to the editor. Although they have provided an "Amplification" section under this article that says that the item wasn’t intended to imply high-skilled workers are illegal immigrants, the paragraph in which they report the poll result on illegal immigration went under the bold heading "High-Tech Employers". They should either correct this paragraph to exclude any mention of illegal immigration or change the bold heading to a more appropriate general heading on immigration issues.

To their credit, the editor has added a comment for further reading on the legal limbo faced by foreign-born scientists from a page one story written last year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115135331760891063.html

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Vive la Résistance. Vive la IV. ( Long live Resistance. Long Live IV.)

It gives me hope that we can - TOGETHER - silence even LIAR Dobbs one day. It's important to keep firing those fiery E-mails (without getting abusive) till we can cure MMS ( Main Stream Media) from "Lou Dobbs Syndome" (LDS) - spreading canards and half-truths regarding H1B and other legal Immigrants implying their non-existent "illegality" to increase viewership/readership. Most likely it will need 2000 of us to march (again ) infront of the "Communist Nativist Network" (CNN) HQ in Atlanta with our ONE sentence Media Education ( and LDS de-contamination) Package

Which Part Of LEGAL and HIGHLY SKILLED you don't understand ?!

I hope that day comes when we can shove LIAR Dobbs lies up his natural wastage disposal mechanism!

centaur
10-05-2007, 10:04 PM
AND PAY THE SAME TAXES AND SOCIAL SECURITY AS ANY AMERICAN

Dear Editor

alterego
10-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, Our collective voices worked.
We got a partial correction on their on line article at the bottom which was just added after our e mails started hitting their inboxes. It is good that they realised their error. A pity it did not make it into their print edition.

See at the bottom under Amplification.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/10/05/republican-candidates-rev-up-for-economic-debate/

drona
10-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Macaca, don't get me started on your name and forum habits :)

I wish they hadn't closed the blog, I wanted to post on there. I don't see any posts on the link you have provided for the H2B blog on WSJ. Am I looking in the right place?

pappu
10-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey guys, Our collective voices worked.
We got a partial correction on their on line article at the bottom which was just added after our e mails started hitting their inboxes. It is good that they realised their error. A pity it did not make it into their print edition.

See at the bottom under Amplification.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/10/05/republican-candidates-rev-up-for-economic-debate/
Thanks everyone for writing to the editor

alterego
10-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone for writing to the editor

I got an e mail from customer service this morning stating they had forwarded my letter to upper management.

It(this issue) definitely got to their attention loud and clear, and hopefully it will have an impact of both sensitizing them to this separation in the future as well as prompting them to give our issue more coverage going forward. Perhaps I am being optimistic here, but one can only hope.