PDA

View Full Version : What stage is a visa number determined ?

redcard
08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
:confused:
At what stage does USCIS blocks a visa number for a petitioner. Is it at the final stage ie, after he name check and background check has been completed and they are ready to issue the Green Card or is it blocked at the stage the petition is received at the USCIS?

Thinking aloud, if visa number is determined at the later stage, after the name and background checks… then the numbers may be genuinely exhausted.. but if its at the stage the petition is received at USCIS .. then probability is that USCIS has an artificial limit usage since the name checks and background checks take over six months and chances of the application being totally processed in the same calendar year it was received are less…you will always have unused number lapsing each year and the same petition again taking a visa number for the next calendar year.

On the other hand most of the petition’s under 245(i), will take years to go past the Name and Background check and other checks at USCIS, considering the nature of the applications and applicants, .. so is USCIS even right in considering them for determination of the Visa Cut off dates… and if its using the date these petitions are received at USCIS for blocking a visa number.. then one can be very much sure that the numbers will take years to move forward as most of the 245(i) applications will never go past the name and background checks.. in the near future..

I only hope that the numbers are blocked at the final stage,, atleast that way the numbers will move forward.. beyond the 245(i) date,, in the hope that most of these petitions will take years to process..

Any one has an idea how this works..

dixie
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
you cannot even file for I-485 without a visa number. Name-check, background check everything comes later.

redcard
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
you cannot even file for I-485 without a visa number. Name-check, background check everything comes later.

Yes I agree you cannot file.. but once you have a visa number and you file.. has a visa number been blocked for the applicant or will it be blocked for the applicant after the checks and at the final stage .. if you look at the two scenarios.. the later approach will move the date forwards.. the former approach will never go past the 245(i) applications does it make sense ??

GCwaitforever
08-09-2006, 10:33 AM
VISA number will be assigned only after name check. In between, if your priority retrogresses, the application goes into hybernation, waiting for priority date.