PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Green Card

Jaime
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Congress should look into the idea of bypassing H-1B alltogether and going straight to the Green Card. We've earned it. They should just pass a law stating that anyone who's been on an H-1B for 3 years (or whatever) will automatically convert to a Green Card on a certain date. That's more than fair.

sathyaraj
10-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Jaime - Great idea!! Hopefully congress is listening. But then what will happen to desi-companies? They have to close their shops!!

Congress should look into the idea of bypassing H-1B alltogether and going straight to the Green Card. We've earned it. They should just pass a law stating that anyone who's been on an H-1B for 3 years (or whatever) will automatically convert to a Green Card on a certain date. That's more than fair.

chanduv23
10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Jaime - Great idea!! Hopefully congress is listening. But then what will happen to desi-companies? They have to close their shops!!

Do u feel bad for them?

485Question
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
That way USCIS can reduce the cost and time, for themselves and for us too.

sathyaraj
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I will be extremly happy :)

Do u feel bad for them?

hopefulgc
10-10-2007, 02:31 PM
And my dog should think about getting a day job and getting married one day.
And possibly since my dog has a more stable immigration status than me.. maybe he should be allowed to adopt me and get me a green card.

I want that to happen but thats what it is .. something that i want.. not what will happen.

venky08
10-10-2007, 02:32 PM
you got my vote :cool:

thomachan72
10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
And possibly since my dog has a more stable immigration status than me.. maybe he should be allowed to adopt me and get me a green card.

I want that to happen but thats what it is .. something that i want.. not what will happen.

Is your dog on an 'O' visa? Talk to a lawyer and before even thinking they will respond with an expenditure quotation [ $10,000 for the dog and the dependent owner]

dsairam
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Or may be there should be a standardized test exam for GC. Then all desi companies will go in the test preparation business. :D

Jaime
10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
It's true that this sounds like only a dream, yet it's the most fair, simple, cost-effective and common-sense thing for Congress to do. OK, throw in a background check, but GC should be automatic for H-1Bs with certain track record.

Look at the DV lotto! How many people I know who came on that and are now working in convenience stores! Before they tell us that we the highly-skilled are taking jobs from Americans, they should eliminate the DV lotto which by its very conception is designed to precisely take jobs away from Americans! Congress! Did you realize that you created a visa category designed to take jobs away from Americans (DV lotto?) Then, just give us GCs to those of us who are NOT taking American jobs away (look at our Labor certifications) and who have paid taxes for years and contributed to U.S. competitiveness! Do this now because thousands of us are already leaving the U.S. in frustration! Look at the well-docomented Reverse Brain Drain stats!!!

ttphiss
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM

It's too logical, simple and doable. Radical is that anybody with more than four years of stay (F+J+H+L combined) should be able to get Citizenship, directly, without going thru GC process. How about that??

anilsal
10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
things really work, unfortunately. :(

I do support the fact that a person has stayed legally for N years in the US to get to the citizenship.

EndlessWait
10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
how about automatic citizenship for working ur ass off and paying taxes for those with 7th/8th/9th..etc H1 extensions...

wishful thinking..we want a fundamental change...v tough.

PS: As per USCIS 800K+ applications recieved for month of July..of those if only 10K ppl could drag there lazy butt to DC..the msg would have been loud and clear..

i think GC should be based on how much one rallies..leave out the ones who arent doing anything..but then again its my wishful thinking.

Disclaimer: Dont call me crazy, its the USCIS which has made me so..

hpandey
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah I agree with you that this DV lotto thing should be the one shown the door. With the current process ( if we were eligible for the lotto ) we would have greater chance of getting a GC thru the lottery than via all the LC stuff :)

It's true that this sounds like only a dream, yet it's the most fair, simple, cost-effective and common-sense thing for Congress to do. OK, throw in a background check, but GC should be automatic for H-1Bs with certain track record.

Look at the DV lotto! How many people I know who came on that and are now working in convenience stores! Before they tell us that we the highly-skilled are taking jobs from Americans, they should eliminate the DV lotto which by its very conception is designed to precisely take jobs away from Americans! Congress! Did you realize that you created a visa category designed to take jobs away from Americans (DV lotto?) Then, just give us GCs to those of us who are NOT taking American jobs away (look at our Labor certifications) and who have paid taxes for years and contributed to U.S. competitiveness! Do this now because thousands of us are already leaving the U.S. in frustration! Look at the well-docomented Reverse Brain Drain stats!!!

BharatPremi
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM

Yes but one obstacle: To do that USA need high skilled congress and senate.:)

vjmjaan
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree..and I am sure a lot of immigrants are waiting to buy homes but dont want to take the risk of settling down or getting stuck at a place before getting their Green Cards. If the US govt. decides to give GC's to the applicants after a few years...then everyone can plan and buy their homes.

Overall the US economy will surely improve including the home market.
:)

reddog
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

First, you need to be an orphan for you to be adopted by your Dog. And if you are one, your dog needs to be of 25 years(average life span of a dog is 13 years) of age to adopt you.
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/immigrant_visas/adoption/1adoption.htm#2.

Oh, and yes, there are country wise quotas on adoption that your Dog will have to look into.
If I were your Dogs adoption consultant, I would strongly recommend him to get hooked with another Dog and produce puppies, Or adopt someone from his own species, instead of adopting a Human.

abhijitp
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM

This may be a new idea in the US of A, but this is not at all a far fetched proposition, and my guess is someone in the political leadership is actually on the same page as you (that is probably why the point based sytem -- albeit messed up-- was proposed in CIR, and a better version of it was found also in "STRIVE"). However, not everyone wants this to happen, so most likely it will have to be a "long" process of negotiations, which is why it is unlikely anything close to this will happen any time soon.

BTW, what you are describing is how things actually work in some other countries. I worked in the UK and could have simply worked for ANY employer for 4 (now-a-days it is 5) years then applied for my own PR (their equivalent of a GC), and actually received it in less than a year... a lot of my friends did that.

However in the present scenario, our best bet seems to be to work for an abolishment of retrogression, increase in EB GC's, and (strictly IMHO>>) an "alternative" to (NOT a replacement for) EB... something wherein you can apply for yourself.. and if this is point based, then the duration for which you ***legally*** worked (L1/ H1B) would have to earn you a decisively high number of points.

BMS1
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
This need not be automatic. Self-sponsored I-140 (with concurrent I-485) is one way. Just like EB2-NIW (National Interest Waiver) with I485 that I went through. A person with 3 year US job on H1-B should be eligible for sponsoring himself for permanent immigration without going through the current hassles of establishing NIW.

Jaime
10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree..and I am sure a lot of immigrants are waiting to buy homes but dont want to take the risk of settling down or getting stuck at a place before getting their Green Cards. If the US govt. decides to give GC's to the applicants after a few years...then everyone can plan and buy their homes.

Set a limit on the process, if you've been here legally for 4 years, you get a GC, whether through the process or just by reaching the 4th year, whichever happens first. UK does that.

solaris27
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I am agree with Jaime

walking_dude
10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
There's a House Bill ( "Save America CIR 2007 (http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/files/RevisedSaveAmericabill.pdf)") which makes anyone with 5 years continuous (vacations excused) US stay eligible for 'Earned Permanent Residency' provided they pass English test, show good character, accepted American values(?), never been arrested and put in 40 hours of Community Service.

Not sure if this provision is for "undocumented" only (since it's a Dem CIR) or EB immigrants are included (there's no lanaguage to indicate such exclusion). It also has provisions to keep kids from "aging out"

However, the bill won't pass as it's a CIR! Also it has proposals such as increasing FB quota to 900,000! DV to 110,000. Can't see how this bill will pass!!

rajmehrotra
10-10-2007, 03:53 PM
This would be just too logical, and consequently, it will never get proposed or implemented.

Perhaps a less radical way of getting a similar outcome would be some mechanism to allow a EB category promotion (from EB3 to EB2, and from EB2 to EB1) for every N number of years someone has been on H1-B. Once you are EB1, you should be allowed to self sponsor yourself for the Green Card.

DV Lottery, with all its faults, is a political animal. It allows the Congress to demonstrate that the benefits of immigrating to the U.S. are not getting hogged by people from a few countries, although that is the actual fact.

Please do not belittle people who happen to work as convenience store clerks. They too do very essential jobs, sometimes at great risk to their lives, that quite a lot of others are not even interested in thinking about.

EkAurAaya
10-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Almost sounds like joke of the day to me (no offense)... nevertheless if we are wishing for something then this is the best wish :) from our point of view

P.S - this would require removing the "non-immigrant" visa status from the H visa category :eek: what are the chances?

Oh we also pay SS on Non-Immigrant status? what's up with that... point is US will do what is best for US - we have to work withing the boundaries set - I'm not saying things don't/can't/wont change, change is the only thing constant in life :)

delhirocks
10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Never going to happen, should not happen...US has to restrict the number of people it takes in. If not everybody from a developing country would try and immigrate.

The problem isn't with the quota, Looking from America's stand point there should definately be a quota, what that should be is open for debate. It should definately not be 140,000 as the economy requires much more.

Jaime
10-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Never going to happen, should not happen...US has to restrict the number of people it takes in. If not everybody from a developing country would try and immigrate.

The problem isn't with the quota, Looking from America's stand point there should definately be a quota, what that should be is open for debate. It should definately not be 140,000 as the economy requires much more.

No, this would be for anyone on an H1-B visa only

Jaime
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
This is infact the joke of the day. Its like a kid wishing for an ice cream at the end of every meal he has. No logic whatsoever !

Yes, it sounds funny when compared to what the current law is. But that doesn't mean it's not the fair thing to do. Who knows if it will ever happen? It's still the right thing to do! How many people believe this can happen? It's still the right thing to do!

How many people would have believed before Gandhi's time that one man could defeat the British Empire?

reddog
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
This is infact the joke of the day. Its like a kid wishing for an ice cream at the end of every meal he has. No logic whatsoever !

Sounds like a joke, but if the current trend of outsourcing and the deluge of indians going back continues for a couple of more years, it is going to be a reality. And then they would have no takers.

amoljak
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex--but Congress can.
-- Cullen Hightower (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32988.html)

EkAurAaya
10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, it sounds funny when compared to what the current law is. But that doesn't mean it's not the fair thing to do. Who knows if it will ever happen? It's still the right thing to do! How many people believe this can happen? It's still the right thing to do!

How many people would have believed before Gandhi's time that one man could defeat the British Empire?

I really hope your wishes comes true! but realistically - its far-fetched my friend
Fact is.. laws are made to benefit this land (no matter how fair/un-fair your perception of these laws are)

Off-topic - one man did not defeat the Empire (and for us to compare the GC situation to a freedom fight would be very naive)

Jaime
10-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I will fight this immigration fiasco to the end. Please count on me for anything IV Core!

Gravitation
10-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Jaime for President in 2020!

leo2606
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Good one:D:D:D
"Desi Test Preparation Center"

They will train us on all wrong tests and make us fail so that we go to them again for training.:D

Or may be there should be a standardized test exam for GC. Then all desi companies will go in the test preparation business. :D

Jaime
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Who's with us on advancing this idea?

Jaime
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
By the way, I'm saving my upcoming #666 post for Lou Dobbs, watch for it!

rb_248
10-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Who's with us on advancing this idea?

We can call this DREAM bill because this literally is a dream for millions.

H1bslave
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
has to be by-birth citizen. Nice try though

Jaime for President in 2020!

H1bslave
10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
don't read history written by Nehru team, go read real facts, between the lines and movies like shaheed bhagat singh. They will tell why we couldn't get independence in 1929 and various other occasions.

gc_chahiye
10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
has to be by-birth citizen. Nice try though

if he can make the changes to H1/GC process that he is proposing (when even Bill Gates words fell on deaf ears) I think Jaime can change that constitutional requirement too. He would have proven himself to be a miracle-worker by then!

Jaime
10-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes, it's probably harder to get earned Permanent Residence for deserving hard-working long-abused, extremely prolific contributing H-1Bs than changing the U.S. Constitution and get a foreign-born citizen become president (Ah-nuld), but it's fairer and worth pursuing!

I am thinking, thinking of ways...I know that our shared strength can be unmatched if channeled properly.

H1B2GC
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
If congress were to pass a law to covert h1b to gc after a few years. The Feds will be worst hit. This is well planned revenue for them. They would introduce more loop holes to get more revenue than solve the problem. Look at the number of people who make $ just by making immigration an issue. Why would they want to make a law in your interest which will result in their loss?

God Bless America!

H1B2GC
10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
They wouldn't like that idea. Imagine by issuing RFE, you earn revenue for the government in terms of paying the attorney who in turn pays taxes (The main objective is to get more TAX from everyone).

Even if they have to legalize the illegal they want $. The real problem which is unbearable in this case is both the employee and employer evade paying taxes to the government; so frame them public change without any stats.

If the case is made complicated, they will get more revenue in terms of motion to reopen and further appeal $ thousands of dollars $.

Can't you just see they are correcting the *forever* GC to renewable GC in order to get some $ there too.

I'm thinking the $ for fencing the US border came from the July - Aug I-485 filing fees. A well planned strategy!

God Bless America!

H1B2GC
10-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Let's buy it instead of this entire head ache; let us get a quote for US GC. Anyways, they are making this an indirect legal business.

God Bless America!

vkkkk
10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
It is good.
Government will not allow that because they are earning somuch money on these all steps and somany employees are there to do this. It is like banning liquor in INDIA.

gjoe
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Jamie, it is a wonderful idea. Like you said it can be considered more than fair. But unfortunately nothing is fair with whatever USCIS is doing e.g the application fees, the randomness of the case processing, the unpredicitablity of the processing timeframe, no order in approving cases based on PD for each category and no regard for any of the guidelines they laid out for themselves :).
To start we should ask USCIS to be fair in what they are doing already, that is my 2 cents

rbms
10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Give automatic citizenship

1. Never violated a Immigration law.
2. Has earned 40 SS credit (paid taxes 10 years)
3. Never been charged under felony
4. GC is pending
5. Has American born children

Add so many conditions and most of us will qualify.

Bottom line, Americans just won't do right thing.

H1B2GC
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM

How will we prove this to USCIS in case of RFE?

If you are relying on SS benefits better start a 401k.

Implicit otherwise we will be deported.

4. GC is pending

Can we take 10 years of USCIS head ache?

5. Has American born children?

Isnt there already a category for family based immigration?

Bottom line, they want to build the economy based on temporary workers and abuse them royally.

andy garcia
10-11-2007, 05:01 PM

4. GC is pending

Point 5 will be discriminatory against people who are sterile.

eeezzz
10-11-2007, 05:01 PM

I see this is a discrimination condition.
Not everyone wants to have a child and not everyone can successfully get pregnant and not to say people who have passed the age to be able to get pregnant.

This is a dream after all.

permfiling
10-11-2007, 05:18 PM
good idea ! we need to lobby the home builders to show a ripple effect for our cause!!

senthil1
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
If automatic green card means they will bring mostly point system. But that was opposed by Corporations and also certain immigrant groups including Lawyers when it was tried while CIR. Any green card system will have Caps. If number of green card is not enough with respect to H1b cap then any system will not be much use.

rbms
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I see this is a discrimination condition.
Not everyone wants to have a child and not everyone can successfully get pregnant and not to say people who have passed the age to be able to get pregnant.

This is a dream after all.
I agree that this is discriminatory. (did not occur to me when I wrote this)

Anyways, i am pissed off. I am staying here ONLY for money at this point. I am leaving either way (whether I get green card or not) before it is not too late (before my kids start dictating some terms in my life)

flipflop
10-11-2007, 09:05 PM

4. GC is pending

Once you become automatic citizen, then you will demand automatic 4 bedroom house since you have done so much work for US, paid so much tax, been a servant to the US.. and the list will go on.
You want immigration to be a welfare!!

Jaime
10-13-2007, 03:00 AM
We have worked in the U.S. for years and years, started companies, created patents, paid millions in taxes and Social Security, we have assimilated, many of us have American children, we have options elsewhere but keep fighting for our right to stay here because we love America. We did not get a free ride like the 50,000 people who yearly do get that free ride with the Diversity Lottery. Their only requirement? Just prove that you are not from China, India, Mexico or The Philippines! Discriminatory? DO YOU THINK SO???? (Diversity Lottery...What a shameful name by the way, where the immigrant visa-Green Card that we so covet and have earned through hard work and years of sweat and tears is randomly given for free by a computer to an unknown unassimilated foreigner on the other side of the world)

It's time for Automatic Green Cards for H-1B visa-holders with 4 years in th U.S. and a clean record!!!!

mirage
10-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Why are you guys so obsessed with desi Companies, when the truth is 80% of the people the day you get their green card opens a company and start doing the same thing ? They are also earning their bread, they are not forcing anybody in their trade, people join them on their own will. Please stop abusing them all the time.

leo2606
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
We shouldn't under estimate the blood suckers, if the law comes as H1-B with 3 years then GC.Every 2 years blood suckers will try to change the visa from H1 to L1(or something else) and L1 to H1 so that we don't get green cards. :D:D:D

Originally Posted by sathyaraj

Do u feel bad for them?

reddymjm
01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
looks like it