PDA

View Full Version : Moving to UK

cableman
08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
If you are sick of the GC retrogression and Canada is not your cup of tea, UK is another option for you. You can calculate your points online to see if you are qualified for the UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP). It is always good to more than one option.

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/hsmp_calculator.htm

:cool:

go_gc_way
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
If you are sick of the GC retrogression and Canada is not your cup of tea, UK is another option for you. You can calculate your points online to see if you are qualified for the UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP). It is always good to more than one option.

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/hsmp_calculator.htm

:cool:

Thanks for posting this information, I was looking for it.

GCwaitforever
08-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I checked UK Embassy web site this weekend. Apparently they ask for original certificates while taking application for HSMP. That is a sticking point with me. Also could someone suggest a good site to look for UK jobs? What are the pros and cons? Any ideas on the life style in UK? What is the impact of latest terror plots on life etc ...

I will post the Embassy links directly when I get home. You should be able to do it yourself without having to go through a middleman. I guess workpermit.com is a middleman.

akkakarla
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
While it is good idea to move to UK there are similar protests going in UK due to job loss and lot of Work Permits going in favor of Indians. Recently I read an article which says that 18,000 Visas out of 30,000 Visa(High Tech) are granted to Indians.

UK based companies pulled out their operations from India stating the quality of work from Indian operations is very poor.

Adding fuel to fire Mr Mittal relentless aggression to acquire companies is all creating chaos in UK.

My 2 cents

pappu
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
While it is good idea to move to UK there are similar protests going in UK due to job loss and lot of Work Permits going in favor of Indians. Recently I read an article which says that 18,000 Visas out of 30,000 Visa(High Tech) are granted to Indians.

UK based companies pulled out their operations from India stating the quality of work from Indian operations is very poor.

Adding fuel to fire Mr Mittal relentless aggression to acquire companies is all creating chaos in UK.

My 2 cents
yes correct.
they have their own immigrationvoice http://www.vbsi.org.uk/

Lasantha
08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Australia is another option.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

dixie
08-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Australia is another option.

http://www.immi.gov.au/
The trouble with all these options is they are developed countries alright, but at least for techies, these countries just dont have a solid job market. I have friends who immigrated to Australia, got their PR and citizenship in 3 years and are now looking to immigrate to US !! Welcome to IV is all I can tell them.

GCwaitforever
08-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Check them out ...

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/documents/all_forms.html

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/hsmp.html?

Jaime
08-17-2006, 02:01 AM
The HSMP looks very attractive if you don't know the details. Yes, you get a visa even without a job offer but they give you only one year to find a job. After 1 year in the UK you'd better have a job or you will most likely send you back to your home country (you go through a government review after 1 year). Of course, if you find a good job during that first year you should be OK.

The pro I see in this is that if you are patient and work for 5 years in the UK you will get your EU passport and yo now have mobility to other parts of Europe where the IT and other industries might be better (like Ireland)

GCwaitforever
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I would not advise people to move to UK without a job offer either. I read in the documents that the VISA is granted for 2 years.

DesiGuy
08-17-2006, 11:01 AM
hi guys,

my first post at IV.

I got tired of waiting for my GC and so moved to UK last year on HSMP. After end of 11 months being in UK on HSMP, i filed for extension and received a 4 year "Resident Permit" in 2 weeks.

So in another 3.5 yrs, will be filing for 'Permanent Residency' and after another 1 year for Citizenship. :)

Here's another forum which i used and is VERY useful if anyone wants to move.

http://immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=631bece76663f12559e81641d0886c80

From my OWN experience:

The PROS

- Simple straight forward process :)
- definate timeline on residence permit/permanent residency/citizenship
- spouse gets same level of rights i.e.wife can work & study with any probs
- family eligible for NHS (even if u dont have a job)
- 1 month leave is standard; worst employers give only 4 weeks :p
- kids have fun, get 'british' education (including school uniforms) and most of all, my kids GK has expanded vastly (knows and hear more abt rest of the world)
- trips to Europe easy and inexpensive (weekend drive to paris is 2.5 hrs and approx 300GBP for family of 4 ;) )
- excellent public transport system
- India is only 8 hrs flight and timezone difference only 5 hrs.
- get to watch and 'play' cricket
- my british friends love "curry" and eat more 'spicier' then mine
- having a pint during lunch is 'normal'

The CONS:
- VERY expensive place; u make and u spend, have fun but not much savings
- JOB market is LOUSY - not easy to get a job
- Jobs are not as high paying compared to USA, plus u are expected to do more (bit like india)
- smaller houses, cars, roads, etc
- no real burgers or tacos
- after some time u start missing USA

Again, finding a job is very difficult and it does not pay as much as in US. But its not impossible either, i got one ;)

Cheers

pateketu
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
DesiGuy,

What difference did you find in work culture in UK vs US, I have heard racism and favoritism is very common when it comes to promotion and stuff, is that true?

akkakarla
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
One thing that stands out from US vs Europe(UK included) is that it is very difficult to blend into the main stream. Especially in UK where it is divided into Zones. These zones say that you belong to that community and that race.

Secondly, the number of IT jobs are comparatively less in UK and Europe and some places you need to know the language ex. Working with SAP AG or in SAP AG you need to know Deutsche otherwise you feel you are lost.

Thirdly, there is difference in the way the Operations are done, Process and procedures followed.

As the proverb goes The other side of the wall is always green. We cannot say UK is good or Germany is good unless we experienced. And also just one person becomes successful everyone cannot. One thing I can say for sure If anyone has MBA from top notch schools they can go to the top of the ladder easily in London Financial Industries.

Einen schönen Tag noch!

DesiGuy
08-18-2006, 09:11 AM
in general, i agree with what akkarkarla says.

my personal view, i have NOT seen any type of discrimination. not saying it does not exist but just saying that i have not experienced it firsthand or seen anyone else being discriminated against.

also, london itself is lot more cosmopolitan than any other city i have seen (and i have see quite a few).

again, anyone thinking of moving should go to the site i mentioned and read throught he topics; there's one on life after HSMP.

Many of the guys who come the guys who come from less (or under) developed countries find it difficult to find a good job, but ppl with US experience who are exposed to the Western way of work (& life) should have an advantage and should not have much problems.

cheers

One thing that stands out from US vs Europe(UK included) is that it is very difficult to blend into the main stream. Especially in UK where it is divided into Zones. These zones say that you belong to that community and that race.

Secondly, the number of IT jobs are comparatively less in UK and Europe and some places you need to know the language ex. Working with SAP AG or in SAP AG you need to know Deutsche otherwise you feel you are lost.

Thirdly, there is difference in the way the Operations are done, Process and procedures followed.

As the proverb goes The other side of the wall is always green. We cannot say UK is good or Germany is good unless we experienced. And also just one person becomes successful everyone cannot. One thing I can say for sure If anyone has MBA from top notch schools they can go to the top of the ladder easily in London Financial Industries.

Einen schönen Tag noch!

mbartosik
08-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm a UK citizen (waiting for GC), and one obversation that I have is:

If you are very good in your profession odds are that you'll suceed in either country. But if you are average (and by definition most are) then you'll be at a disadvantage with respect to the locals when you go somewhere new, especially if you don't have good contacts.

So I'd recommend thinking dispassionately about how good you are at your profession, and just as importantly how well that comes across in resume or interview. Do you have good contacts in UK?

I'm not sure if "indefinite leave to stay" gives you access to the whole EU, but it's a path to UK citizenship which does give you access to the whole EU job market (language barriers permitting). It does suck that UK gov effectively retrospectively changed the rules for "indefinite leave to stay", but at least in UK there is an end date (unless they push it out each year). Here for some there is no obvious end date for the waiting.

I also think that "indefinite leave to stay" may have a few strings (like GC six month in country requirement).