PDA

View Full Version : Best place for hoem purchase in DC/MD/VA area

india_is_the_best
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I want to purchase an house in Washington DC/MD/VA. My office is close to Rockville. Please recommend the best place to buy an house based on the following criteria.

1> Very good school district
2> Low property tax
3> Very low crime rate
4> Rental value should be same as mortgage amount+insurance+PMI+property tax
5> Property values should be in 300K range max
6> Lot of Indians
9> Maximum distance to DC should not exceed 30 miles
10> Close to shopping places

sbmallik
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Gaithersburg, Rockville, Deerwood or Aspen Hill

kamakya
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Urbana in Frederick county. The schools there are the best and lots of Indians and property tax is pretty low compared to other places.

Michael chertoff
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Silver Spring

mk26
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Howard County

rajum02
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Howard County .. ( Columbia, ellicotcity)

jetflyer
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
You are asking best of best in the area which has US most richest counties and for $300K.
Its hard but housing market slowdown may work in your favor. Very good move, good luck.

kamakya
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
If you are looking in 300K range with best schools,large indian community then Villages of Urbana in Frederick is one of the better choices.
The property tax is pretty low here because it is in Frederick county. I hope this information helps you. The elementary,middle and high schools here are one of the best in the state.

Michael chertoff
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
You are asking best of best in the area which has US most richest counties and for $300K.
Its hard but housing market slowdown may work in your favor. Very good move, good luck.

Bahot theek Bhaiyaa..

amitga
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
MD counties charge county income tax which is a rip off. Look in VA

h1techSlave
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Urbana is a new community. Home taxes are twice compared to similar houses in VA. It is also around 50 miles from DC.

If you are looking in 300K range with best schools,large indian community then Villages of Urbana in Frederick is one of the better choices.
The property tax is pretty low here because it is in Frederick county. I hope this information helps you. The elementary,middle and high schools here are one of the best in the state.

kamakya
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I have no idea about property taxes about VA. In urbana, the property tax is 0.00094 % of sale price. Urbana is about 36 miles from DC exactly. for a 300K house, the property tax is about 282$ PM.

How much is the property tax in VA? I was also thinking of fairfax county when I started my search but ended up in Urbana.

mk26
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
MD counties charge county income tax which is a rip off. Look in VA
Agree with this statement, county tax sucks in MD

transpass
05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I want to purchase an house in Washington DC/MD/VA. My office is close to Rockville. Please recommend the best place to buy an house based on the following criteria.

2> Low property tax
3> Very low crime rate
6> Lot of Indians

Just out of curiosity....Are you a first time buyer or are you moving from some other place to DC area? Just thinking about the home buyer's credit for first timers...

eastindia
05-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Best place to purchase home in DC/MD/VA area is near your place of work. Even if you have a palace but have to spend time every day in commute it is not worth it.

sam_hoosier
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM

2> Low property tax
3> Very low crime rate
6> Lot of Indians

Dont look at VA - commute to MD will be killing.
DC is expensive.
Look at Frederick, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Bethesda in MD

madmonkey
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
to be honest dude, for 300k, you are not going to get anything worth your while in Gaithersburg or rockville. You want the best schools - in the rockville area, that is the Wooton high school. In that school district, you will find a 30 year old town house for $325 possibly. Even thats tough to find.

If you are not particular about Wooton district, then your search area is larger. Urbana is a good bet if you dont mind the commute, but as some else posted, find a place close to work, theres no fun in commuting 1 hour up and 1 hour down each day.

jsb
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Your mention of 30 miles maximum, I believe, refers to distance to your work place. It is a lot of distance to commute at rush time. Nevertheless, Ferederick County is your best bet, where a small SFH or a good size TH can be found for your price.

BTW, why do you need "Lots of Indians". Don't you want to be part of the main stream if you have decided to live here?

2> Low property tax
3> Very low crime rate
6> Lot of Indians