PDA

View Full Version : 3 Yr H1B extension while waiting for I-485 approval

johny120
08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a approved I-140 (Jan 2005). My PD is March 2004 and I have already filed I-485 (filed simultaneously with 140). Now I am waiting for the PD to become current for 485 approval. My 6 years on H1 will expire in March 2007. I checked with my GC lawyer and he said that since I have a approved 140 I can apply for a 3 year extension on H1 six months before the H1 expiry. I have to travel to India in Feb-March 2007 and so my questions are:

1. Can I travel to India while my H1 extension application is still pending and return to US before the current H1 expires? What will happen if the application gets approved while I am in India?

2. If I get my H1 extension approved effective April 2007 and I travel to India in Feb-March 2007 while my current H1 is still valid do I still need to get the new H1 stamped on the passport or I can enter US on the current stamped H1.

3. If none of the above is possible then can I return from India in mid-March 2007 and apply for H1 ext and still continue to stay in US if I get the receipt of H1 ext application before March 31, 2007?

Thanks in advance.

redcard
08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I have a approved I-140 (Jan 2005). My PD is March 2004 and I have already filed I-485 (filed simultaneously with 140). Now I am waiting for the PD to become current for 485 approval. My 6 years on H1 will expire in March 2007. I checked with my GC lawyer and he said that since I have a approved 140 I can apply for a 3 year extension on H1 six months before the H1 expiry. I have to travel to India in Feb-March 2007 and so my questions are:

1. Can I travel to India while my H1 extension application is still pending and return to US before the current H1 expires? What will happen if the application gets approved while I am in India?

2. If I get my H1 extension approved effective April 2007 and I travel to India in Feb-March 2007 while my current H1 is still valid do I still need to get the new H1 stamped on the passport or I can enter US on the current stamped H1.

3. If none of the above is possible then can I return from India in mid-March 2007 and apply for H1 ext and still continue to stay in US if I get the receipt of H1 ext application before March 31, 2007?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if you need an extension ..since you have already applied for 485..you should have a EAD which is authorization to work and you must have applied for AP which is required for travel..and you dont need a stamp to enter back in case you have an Advance Parole..

johny120
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
No, I do not have a EAD or AP. I did not apply for them. I am planning to keep extending my H1 and not get into the hassle of EAD and AP every year.

Chicago Desi
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
No, I do not have a EAD or AP. I did not apply for them. I am planning to keep extending my H1 and not get into the hassle of EAD and AP every year.

Though its your decision but having EAD and AP in my hand (whether or not to use them) would give me some hope.

perm2gc
08-23-2006, 04:41 PM
When you have chance to use EAD and AP..it is always a good option as you can recapture time on H1 if something goes wrong in later stage of GC process

As long as you have valid visa stamp..no problem.(H1 aprroval will not make any effect.)

If you are entering after April2007 and your current visa is expired then you have get VISA STAMP otherwise you can enter on current visa

3. If none of the above is possible then can I return from India in mid-March 2007 and apply for H1 ext and still continue to stay in US if I get the receipt of H1 ext application before March 31, 2007? Yes you can.

Above replies are my personal views only.Please consult your immigration lawyer

johny120
08-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your reply. I read somewhere that if I have a approved 140 and have already applied for 485 I can only get a 1 year ext on H1 and not 3 year. 3 year H1 ext beyond 6 years isonly for people who are not able to apply for 485 due to retrogression. Is that true? I want to maintain the H1 to be able to easily transfer n case I loose my job.

perm2gc
08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your reply. I read somewhere that if I have a approved 140 and have already applied for 485 I can only get a 1 year ext on H1 and not 3 year. 3 year H1 ext beyond 6 years isonly for people who are not able to apply for 485 due to retrogression. Is that true? I want to maintain the H1 to be able to easily transfer n case I loose my job.
yes

senthil
08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
on few forums -ive seen people who already filed I-485 and could not file I-485 due to retro applied and received 3yr H1B extn. I dont think it matters if you have applied for EAD/AP or not. Recently one of my friend ( currently on EAD ) , still applied for 3yr H1B extn and got an approval too.

For a safe bet its good to have the EAD/AP with you. has foll advantage

- worst case you can change employment using EAD
- travel issues - esp you can avoid visa related appointment hassle using AP

one more thing - if you dont have travel plans for the next year, you dont need to apply for AP. I beleive only EAD needs periodic renewal every year, independant of if you are using it or not, once you apply first time.

may be many folks here already have real time experiances on this subject, i guess
hope it helps. -- my2c.

all these are my personal views. im not an attorney
thanks

arnet
08-23-2006, 07:41 PM
have always EAD/AP as your backup even if you have H1 visa (especially when you didnt have stamping or visa expires soon or if you have job uncertainity), it is safe as others suggested.....incase if you need EAD/AP for any emergency, you cant get these easily, it takes atleast 1-3 months for approval based on your processing center, so better apply atleast now...if you are working in EAD then it is better to apply for renewal before 4 months of expiry of current EAD/AP.

johny120
08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
So just to be clear:
What most of you on this forum are suggesting is that I should apply for EAD/AP right away and also maintain my H1.

Do I need to go through my lawyer to apply for EAD/AP or I can apply it on my own? What is the USCIS fees for the same?

TIA

perm2gc
08-24-2006, 11:28 AM
So just to be clear:
What most of you on this forum are suggesting is that I should apply for EAD/AP right away and also maintain my H1.

Do I need to go through my lawyer to apply for EAD/AP or I can apply it on my own? What is the USCIS fees for the same?

TIAEveryone preserves their H1 for the worst cases that might be coming in future..
You check the USCIS website and check yourself whether you can do it yourself or not.