PDA

View Full Version : AR-11 address change

hemya
11-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I am moving this weekend.....I have heard that USPS will not forward mail to the new address and hence I need to use Ar-11 to change address

My wife and my EAD's were mailed Nov. 27 and should arrive in a week I guess. however I will not have keys to the mailbox then. Rather than change address immediately with USCIS can I just have USPS hold my mail for a few days. That way my EAD wont be sent back to USCIS.

Will this work? Or do I have to bite the ubllet and change my address and have my EAD returned to USCIS and wait till they send it out again.

Please advice

sam_hoosier
11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I am moving this weekend.....I have heard that USPS will not forward mail to the new address and hence I need to use Ar-11 to change address

My wife and my EAD's were mailed Nov. 27 and should arrive in a week I guess. however I will not have keys to the mailbox then. Rather than change address immediately with USCIS can I just have USPS hold my mail for a few days. That way my EAD wont be sent back to USCIS.

Will this work? Or do I have to bite the ubllet and change my address and have my EAD returned to USCIS and wait till they send it out again.

Please advice

I would do both. Change your address with USCIS & also ask USPS to hold your mail.:)

BharatPremi
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I would do both. Change your address with USCIS & also ask USPS to hold your mail.:)

You are definately a High Skilled :):):) Yes, that's smart way.

1) First apply "Hold Mail" on the day of moving at least for 15 days.(USPS web site provides selection of hold start and
resume date) and DO NOT request " Forward mail to new address" with USPS
2) Move yourself
3) Perform "Change Of Address" through filing AR-11 and by calling USCIS after moving to your new place but ASAP. AND
Do both calling and filing on line AR-11form.
4) On the 10th day of moving mail "Change Of Address" form to USPS with From: Old Address To: New Address
5) On the 12th or 13th day call USPS and lift up Hold and request USPS delievring all held mail to your new place.

Note: Only thing you may have to confirm with USPS is that whether USPS would mail you the held mails to your new address or not. If you have moved to new city then it is the only alternative and if USPS cannot deliver held mail to new address then you can not take that route. If you are moving within same city then your life would be bit easy in a sense that you can pickup mails from USPS (Though you have to select that option while requesting "hold mail" for the first time)

hemya
11-28-2007, 04:02 PM
well if i change the address...by default its sent back to USCIS...right?

than what is the point in asking them to hold the mail..

sam_hoosier
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
well if i change the address...by default its sent back to USCIS...right?

than what is the point in asking them to hold the mail..

You are providing for the possibility that it was mailed to your old address before you changed your address through AR-11, and in that case USPS would hold it for you. If its mailed after you change the address, then you would get it at your new address.

hemya
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
You are providing for the possibility that it was mailed to your old address before you changed your address through AR-11, and in that case USPS would hold it for you. If its mailed after you change the address, then you would get it at your new address.

I have not yet changed my address with USCIS since I have possession of both apartments for 15 days...the leases overlap....so i think I am going to wait till friday....and change the address with them after that....

In the meantime I am going to ask USPS to hold my mail for 15 days (starting saturday) and physically pick it up later since I am moving to the neighbouring township

though the best option is where I am trying to check with my old apartment management if I can keep the mailbox key for a a few additional days...that would be great and then have mail forwarded at a later date

thanks for your input guys...

hemya
11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I guess I dont have to worry now....I checked the mail and the EAD cards were there....posted 11/26...arrived 11.28...

I guess I'll change the address via AR-11 asap.

Thanks again guys

BharatPremi
11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I guess I dont have to worry now....I checked the mail and the EAD cards were there....posted 11/26...arrived 11.28...

Thanks again guys

Congrats on getting EAD.

ita
11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I changed my address online.
Checked with CSR and IO and they confirmed the new address..
I didn't mail the AR-11 form though.
I didn't get any mail from USCIS about the change of Address on my applications.

Is that fine.?

Thank you.

Doom
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
FYI: EAD cards will be forwarded by USPS to the new address, I dont think any other application/documents will, mine was forwarded by usps to the new address. The reason behind that is it doesnt have an address service requested on the envelope I guess....

BharatPremi
11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I didn't get any mail from USCIS about the change of Address on my applications.

Is that fine.?

Thank you.

Do not take chance. Send AR-11 with certified mail. It would not hurt you to spend some $ to have secured feeling.. USCIS has suggested to do both on its web site...So do it.

hemya
12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Congrats on getting EAD.

Thank you

Leo07
12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
AR-11 is still a good idea...

Thanks again guys

hemya
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Ohh i most definitely will do the AR-11

hemya
12-07-2007, 01:00 AM
I am filing the Ar-11 online

It asks me for the A number. Should I put in the number on the I-94 or should I put in the number for each petition. It is supposed to be a 9 digit number. The petition numbers all begin with LIN0 followed by 9 digits.

Which number should I put it?

Thanks for your help!!!

wandmaker
12-07-2007, 01:13 AM
It asks me for the A number. Should I put in the number on the I-94 or should I put in the number for each petition.

Enter the one in your EAD card or 485 petition - both will be the same. BTW, I-94 number is not A number.

jthomas
12-07-2007, 01:19 AM
my lawyer told me that if USCIS finds that you had not update the address using AR-11 form. Homeland security may deport you.

Anyways, in place of A number if you don't have a number don't fill your I-94 number. If they want to ask any questions they will send you a letter. I had earlier got a letter back from them i don't remember what the question was.

hemya
12-07-2007, 01:28 AM
I put my I94 number instead of 'A' number from the petition. I did not notice it and thought that they meant I94 number

Should I call USCIS customer service and have them change the number? I will anyways call them tomorrow to confirm the AR-11.

hemya
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
For the benefit of others:

I spoke to USCIS this morning. The lady asked me to file the AR-11 again since I used I-94 number and not 'A' number. The lady also mentioned that she cannot confirm an address change for me via the phone system since she does not access to any personal information. According to her I will receive a notice in the mail

Also my lawyer said he has no idea what will happen to the old AR-11 forms I filled with errors. Hopefully nothing!!!!!

He also mentioned that I should not file AR-11 for AP(I131) since the AP notice is supposed to go to him. Also don't make the mistake I did and file AR-11 for I140.....

Hopefully this helps!!!!!!

hemya
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Update on experience:

After my mistake in entering the 'A' number, I went ahead and changed address again as per suggestion from USCIS representative and lawyer. Update is as below

--------------------------------

I could change my address using the 'A' number in AR-11 and I did get a new confirmation number for AR-11 address change. However when I entered the petition number for a pending petition, the system said that I have already changed address on the petition and it has been less than 45 days since I changed and also asked if I have moved again.

When I answered 'no' I got the following message:

"At the time you previously notified us of your address change, you were informed that we would send you a confirmation notice. You were also informed that it may take up to 45 days from the date you notified us to receive that confirmation notice.

It has been less than 45 days since you notified us to change your address.

If you do not receive a notice of confirmation that your address has been changed on your application/petition within the 45-day period, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for further assistance."

----------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts, inputs will help.

waiting_4_gc
12-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I believe that's fine. As per the instructions on USCIS website, you dont have to mail AR-11 form but you have to print it, sign it and keep it for your records.And also, you have to update the address on all pending application forms and save the confirmation no info for your records.

Is that fine.?

Thank you.

gcfriend65
12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
The A-number can be on the I-485 receipt notice.
I am filing the Ar-11 online

It asks me for the A number. Should I put in the number on the I-94 or should I put in the number for each petition. It is supposed to be a 9 digit number. The petition numbers all begin with LIN0 followed by 9 digits.

Which number should I put it?

Thanks for your help!!!