PDA

View Full Version : How to increase chances of getting Skil bill pass this year

ChainReaction
08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Just Another idea , since nursing immigration visa quota is also likely to be run out in couple of months why not contact lobbyist and congressman who are pushing to increase visa quota for nurses and ask them to join forces and incorporate our Skil bill with theirs . This reciprocity might provide just the right amount of pressure on those politicians and get both the bill (Skilled prof catagory A &B) pass before November elections (Big Health Care Corporation which represents any Metropolitan hospitals in US and IT companies like Microsoft Corporation, IBM, Intel…)

Just want to know what the IV core team thinks about it?

eagerr2i
09-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Good idea about coordinating efforts with organizations working on Nurses issues. Do you know or are aware of any active organization that is working on this issue? Pls post the details and we will get in touch with them. If you can point to any contacts, please PM or post it here.

I know of several AILA ( American Immigration Lawyers Assoc) lawyers testifying before the congress on this issue and we are already in touch/have endorsements with many of those leading lawyers in the country.

GCBy3000
09-01-2006, 10:38 AM
This is not a bad idea. Chain reaction is always good as chainReaction said. Why to leave this stone unturned and then to regret if nurse bill passes if there is one, before the SKIL bill.

Just Another idea , since nursing immigration visa quota is also likely to be run out in couple of months why not contact lobbyist and congressman who are pushing to increase visa quota for nurses and ask them to join forces and incorporate our Skil bill with theirs . This reciprocity might provide just the right amount of pressure on those politicians and get both the bill (Skilled prof catagory A &B) pass before November elections (Big Health Care Corporation which represents any Metropolitan hospitals in US and IT companies like Microsoft Corporation, IBM, Intel…)

Just want to know what the IV core team thinks about it?

manderson
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I know that Hammon Law Firm is one such medical lobby who is figthing for this. Can we get core members to co-ordinate with them?

http://www.hammondlawfirm.com/

http://hammondlawgroup.blogspot.com/

qplearn
09-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Shusterman.com reports that a senate committee headed by Sen. Cornyn met at a hearing yesterday, and that there is a push for a "must-pass" immigration legislation by year end. The legislation includes the Skil bill.
Not sure if the house is interested in this though.

qplearn

I know that Hammon Law Firm is one such medical lobby who is figthing for this. Can we get core members to co-ordinate with them?

http://www.hammondlawfirm.com/

http://hammondlawgroup.blogspot.com/

Jimi_Hendrix
09-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a good piece of news. Please keep us updated.

gondalguru
09-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Shusterman.com reports that a senate committee headed by Sen. Cornyn met at a hearing yesterday, and that there is a push for a "must-pass" immigration legislation by year end. The legislation includes the Skil bill.
Not sure if the house is interested in this though.

qplearn

There is nothing like "must pass immigration legislation". Shusterman is talking about "must pass" spending and appropriation bill due in december. All the attachments and amendments to this spending bill must also be passed before the end of year. So if skil bill is attached to the spending bill we have a very good chance of getting it enacted in law by year end.

qplearn
09-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Shusterman does not refer to any spending and appropriation bill on his website. Where did you hear all this? Anyway, I hope you are right, and that the bill is passed; it doesn't matter which bill it is attached to.

Also, strictly speaking there is no such thing as "must pass" legislation for ANY matter. But the president would like to see something passed this year for immigration, and that is well-known.

qplearn

There is nothing like "must pass immigration legislation". Shusterman is talking about "must pass" spending and appropriation bill due in december. All the attachments and amendments to this spending bill must also be passed before the end of year. So if skil bill is attached to the spending bill we have a very good chance of getting it enacted in law by year end.

qplearn
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
The New York Times reports (on 9/5) that chances of any immigration bill coming up in the 19 days before the recess are near zero because repubs will stay away from it.

Looks like we may have to wait until next year.:(

qplearn

TheOmbudsman
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I am afraid that next year, we may have same or less chances. Look at what these polls say;voters are increasingly angry at incumbents, and one of the major reason is the disappointment over immigration levels. Then the presidential elections will be in 2008, and the same sentiment 'nothing happens before elections' may well arise. If the SKIL bill doesn't go through in the first six months of 2007, then it may approach the 2008 elections and no progress will be made. Again, I hope I am wrong but. Here we go again. Should we call it the SKUL bill ?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/04/poll.election/index.html

The New York Times reports (on 9/5) that chances of any immigration bill coming up in the 19 days before the recess are near zero because repubs will stay away from it.

qplearn

rbharol
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I am afraid that next year, we may have same or less chances. Look at what these polls say;voters are increasingly angry at incumbents, and one of the major reason is the disappointment over immigration levels. Then the presidential elections will be in 2008, and the same sentiment 'nothing happens before elections' may well arise. If the SKIL bill doesn't go through in the first six months of 2007, then it may approach the 2008 elections and no progress will be made. Again, I hope I am wrong but. Here we go again. Should we call it the SKUL bill ?

I read the following encouraging words on www.hammondlawgroup.com blog spot...

While we are confident that the retrogression will ultimately be solved no later than Summer 2007, we have an opportunity to solve it prior to 2007 if we can get our message heard.

qplearn
09-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Ombudsman: It is quite clear what your message is: voters are unhappy at immigration levels, which according to you also includes legal immigration, right?

Actually, the "major reason" is NOT immigration as you point out in that article on cnn. It is the least important reason with only 14% thinking it's important.

We know what you want; you want all these efforts stopped; you want all of us to get dispirited; that's why you keep calling it the skull bill; we actually know who you are. I have said this before, and I will say it again: Please leave this forum.

rbharol
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM

qplearn

I think it will be a strategic mistake on the part of republicans if they do not pass *anything* related to immigration while they control the house.

qplearn
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Also, the NYtimes article referred exclusively to illegal immigration. I am still hoping that they will pass something at least for legals before Nov.

But we dont need this "Ombudsman" posting anti-immigration messages.

qplearn

I think it will be a strategic mistake on the part of republicans if they do not pass *anything* related to immigration while they control the house.

knowDOL
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, we do not want "anti-immigration seekers or people who are hopeful about anti-immigration" in this forum. This should be collective effort of all positive minded people doing some good work.

brb2
09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I for one would like to hear both the "bad" news and the good news. Shutting out any one giving an oposing view is not the "American way". Freedom of speech is an integral part of the US culture. Tolerance to other peoples views is needed. Shutting out opposing voices is immature and childish. This is exactly what the Chinese and Cuban governments do.

Yes, we do not want "anti-immigration seekers or people who are hopeful about anti-immigration" in this forum. This should be collective effort of all positive minded people doing some good work.

manderson
09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
The important question is what happens when the nursing quota runs out in November?

Will it not force medical lobbies and subsequently lawmakers to take action soon thereafter? Or is it going to linger on like all the other categories?

sidshar
09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Even last year the appropriation bill had similar clauses for legal immigration but even then the opposing lawmakers got rid of those clauses by arguing that there would be a CIR anyway and we dont need those clauses clubbed with appropriation bill. So this time if clauses come back in I hope they dont have any new argument since CIR is stuck. But who knows they may again say that lets do all immigration matters thru CIR only. BTW Its mandatory to pass appropriation bill every year since its related to budgetary provisions.

satyasaich
09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
S1932 is a different story and then there is no immigration voice, no IV, no QGA, no CIR, no SKIL bill, nothing.
But this time, things CAN be different. possibilities are always there.
Specially in the times when all the visas are used already, ScheduleA is now on the brink of retrogression, changing views of economy and US leadership are some of the factors that may lead to consider SKIL bill.Since this is not at all related to amnesty,rather more related towards economy and leadership of this country(not political but science, technology & innovation), i believe it makes sense to consider the SKIL bill at the very least, in 2006.
just my thoughts

Even last year the appropriation bill had similar clauses for legal immigration but even then the opposing lawmakers got rid of those clauses by arguing that there would be a CIR anyway and we dont need those clauses clubbed with appropriation bill. So this time if clauses come back in I hope they dont have any new argument since CIR is stuck. But who knows they may again say that lets do all immigration matters thru CIR only. BTW Its mandatory to pass appropriation bill every year since its related to budgetary provisions.

Canadian_Dream
09-05-2006, 02:57 PM
If nothing happens this month (on SKIL or CIR). I think there will be a long long wait for all of us (legal immigrants). Here are the reasons:

o The lame duck session is generally forced if important bills like budget or appropriations are not completed. This session is more of a necesscity than a choice. Chances of anything happening on immigration past election is zero if the work on important bill is completed this month.

o Post election scenario is anybody's guess. There will be new congress that means all these bills will be re-written. Another set of hearings and some more muscle flexing depending on who controls what. That would push the things well into mid next year (if not later).

o If democrats win (which is very likely) the focus will be on illegals. Based on how much time democrats will have for legal immigrats we may have a slight chance, but most of the focus will be on dems favorite agendas: AgJobs, Dream Act, Social Security for illegals, Innovative ways to bring people out of shadows. This might take 6 months to a year from start to complete. A likely outcome could be nothing gets passed.

o By the end of 2007 and early 2008 there will be another election year and the work on any thing like immigration will be avoided until another congress.

Again these just the likely scenarios and things could still turn out differently.

raj3078
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
While I hope that I am wrong, I strongly believe that nothing will pass at least till the elections are done....They have other important leglislations to worry about like stopping horse slaughters... as stated by NY times.....

"The major legislation on the floor in the House this week is a bill that would ban trading in horses to be slaughtered for human consumption."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/us/05cong.html?hp&ex=1157428800&en=30b1a0cdbe6ab394&ei=5094&partner=homepage

bijualex29
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
From November to December-06. Will congress have authority to pass any bill or sit do nothing?
From 2007 Onwards, there will be a new law written? Can they use the bill passed in previous congressional session?
Can some one educate me?

Canadian_Dream
09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes congress can still pass bills and enact laws in Nov -Dec. After adjournment or Sine-Die any bills not signed into law (either in conference or passed by one chamber) are gone forever. The new congress starts afresh with new bills from scratch. They may adopt a similar text but cannot use the "status" of old bill and proceed from there.

From November to December-06. Will congress have authority to pass any bill or sit do nothing?
From 2007 Onwards, there will be a new law written? Can they use the bill passed in previous congressional session?
Can some one educate me?

gondalguru
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
My best guess is that some sort of legal immigration bill will be attached as an amendment to appropriation bill (both in house and senate) later this year and we will have a definite answer by Jan 2007.

Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst....::cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Canadian_Dream
09-06-2006, 02:09 PM
That's a long shot. The budget/spending bills are generally voted on party lines. This will bring back the S.1932 like situation where everyone one must be accomodated for successful passage of the bill. We very well know that there will always be few (you know who they are) who would want absolutely NO immigration provisions in any of these bills. Please look at S.1932 history for more details as why these bills cannot be the vehicle for any immigration provisions. I sincerely hope someone can prove me wrong but odds are increasingly against us.

TheOmbudsman
09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
It is the third most important issue, that's why it was listed in the article. The Iraq war is obviously the number 1 issue, at 26%. That makes sense. Remove the war from the equation and you will see how important the immigration issue is.

Do you know what I want ? All your assumptions are wrong. Grow up. If you continue this attitude you won't experience much success.

Ombudsman: It is quite clear what your message is: voters are unhappy at immigration levels, which according to you also includes legal immigration, right?

Actually, the "major reason" is NOT immigration as you point out in that article on cnn. It is the least important reason with only 14% thinking it's important.

We know what you want; you want all these efforts stopped; you want all of us to get dispirited; that's why you keep calling it the skull bill; we actually know who you are. I have said this before, and I will say it again: Please leave this forum.

rbharol
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes we all want SKIL to pass as we all want Green Cards.
But remember US too needs us, the skilled workers.

If we were not wanted, there would not be a push to increase H1Bs and EB Visas, from
corporate world. Due to this very reason, I am hopeful that this Bill or something similar to this will pass.

qplearn
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi:

Don't change your stance. Now you are saying it is the third important issue. You previously said it is the major reason , and I objected to that because that was nonsense. (The two are not same.) Also, only the stupidest person on earth will remove the Iraq war issue from the equation :D Even if we were to remove the war from the equation, what does not change is that only 14 % think it is important.

You are purposely playing with the numbers to create an impression that voters are against all kinds of immigration. Also, if bad news is to be shared, it must come from hard facts (e.g., news article) --- not on the basis of some skewed analysis that you are an expert at doing.

I don't need to assume anything about you. You call the bill the SkUll bill. There are others on this forum who think exactly the same way I think about your postings.

Also a suggestion: You should go to anti-immi websites and post your views there. You will be given a warm welcome there.

qplearn

It is the third most important issue, that's why it was listed in the article. The Iraq war is obviously the number 1 issue, at 26%. That makes sense. Remove the war from the equation and you will see how important the immigration issue is.

Do you know what I want ? All your assumptions are wrong. Grow up. If you continue this attitude you won't experience much success.

TheOmbudsman
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Sir, look at what I wrote, it is pasted below. Clearly I stated "one of the major issues". I never said it was the number 1. However, as you seem to have agreed, the Iraq war is clearly a hot topic out there by default - because it is an unsucessfull war ! What I am saying is that if you are not impressed by the "14%" absolute number, pay attention to the relatively third spot this issue is at. Got it ? Now think about, immigration coming in third place, that is a hell of issue right there and clearly voters are not happy with the direction things are taking. It is a fact. If you manage to ban my posts that won't change the reality. Again I keep saying, the day we manage to put provisions that are truly a compromise, we may see a bill passed on our behalf. I understand that may never materialize though.

TheOmbudsman
Member Join Date: Jun 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am afraid that next year, we may have same or less chances. Look at what these polls say;voters are increasingly angry at incumbents, and one of the major reason is the disappointment over immigration levels. Then

Hi:

Don't change your stance. Now you are saying it is the third important issue. You previously said it is the major reason , and I objected to that because that was nonsense. (The two are not same.) Also, only the stupidest person on earth will remove the Iraq war issue from the equation :D Even if we were to remove the war from the equation, what does not change is that only 14 % think it is important.

You are purposely playing with the numbers to create an impression that voters are against all kinds of immigration. Also, if bad news is to be shared, it must come from hard facts (e.g., news article) --- not on the basis of some skewed analysis that you are an expert at doing.

I don't need to assume anything about you. You call the bill the SkUll bill. There are others on this forum who think exactly the same way I think about your postings.

Also a suggestion: You should go to anti-immi websites and post your views there. You will be given a warm welcome there.

qplearn

dixie
09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
What the public thinks about immigration depends on how the question is posed to them. If you ask "Do you support the invasion of this country by terrorist illegal aliens ?" the way lou asks his viewers then of course 99% of the people will say they are against immigration. It is by no means clear cut that ordinary americans are dead against legal immigration ... opinion polls are still divided on the issue. The anti-immigrants and their friends in the house are simply using the illegal alien "amnesty" provisions to torpedo anything and everything that is pro-immigrant. That doesnt mean we give up in our efforts to educate the law-makers of our utility to this country and try to get some relief provisions passed.

In any case, congress cannot continue with status quo forever.. whether it is to prevent illegal alien population from balooning to 25 millions or whether it is to address competitiveness there is no escaping the immigration issue.