PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer's mistake in Filing PERM

sunil0617
06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi,
I'm holding Bachelor's Degree from India and have 9 years of full time experience (6 years with previous employers + 3 years with current employer). Last year my employer initiated a process to file PERM. My employer had given all the specific details to our attorney firm to file my case in EB2. But our attorney screwed up everything and filed my case in EB3. My EB3 labor is approved (Section H, PERM job for Bachelors + 2 years of experience). I'm planning to file I140 with this EB3 PERM to facilitate my H1B extensions,etc.

Right now, my employer says that he can initiate another PERM with EB2 and later when we file I140 for the EB2 labor, we can make use of EB3's PD after its I140 approval. I understand that it has to be a different position for EB2. If we follow this case, at what stage I need to use my EB3's PD to port. I mean, do I need to have my EB3 I140 approved before filing EB2 PERM or have only when filing EB2 I140.

My another question is, how risky is this? I mean having applied for EB3 and EB2 from the same employer. What kinda repercussions we're heading into? What are the possiblities of getting audited for EB2 PERM ( I didn't get any audit for my EB3 PERM).

Do you think it's better to transfer visa to someone else after my EB3 I140's approval and start a fresh EB2 PERM from that employer?

I had gone thro a case study given in this forum but it's only after applying AOS(485). Mine is still at I140 stage.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Sunil

hebron
06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi,
I'm holding Bachelor's Degree from India and have 9 years of full time experience (6 years with previous employers + 3 years with current employer). Last year my employer initiated a process to file PERM. My employer had given all the specific details to our attorney firm to file my case in EB2. But our attorney screwed up everything and filed my case in EB3. My EB3 labor is approved (Section H, PERM job for Bachelors + 2 years of experience). I'm planning to file I140 with this EB3 PERM to facilitate my H1B extensions,etc.

Right now, my employer says that he can initiate another PERM with EB2 and later when we file I140 for the EB2 labor, we can make use of EB3's PD after its I140 approval. I understand that it has to be a different position for EB2. If we follow this case, at what stage I need to use my EB3's PD to port. I mean, do I need to have my EB3 I140 approved before filing EB2 PERM or have only when filing EB2 I140.

My another question is, how risky is this? I mean having applied for EB3 and EB2 from the same employer. What kinda repercussions we're heading into? What are the possiblities of getting audited for EB2 PERM ( I didn't get any audit for my EB3 PERM).

Do you think it's better to transfer visa to someone else after my EB3 I140's approval and start a fresh EB2 PERM from that employer?

I had gone thro a case study given in this forum but it's only after applying AOS(485). Mine is still at I140 stage.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Sunil

Hi Sunil,
I have also been thinking about converting from EB3 to EB2 from the same employer. My lawyer says that for this to work the job descriptions ( for EB3 and EB2) has to be atleast 50% different. And I am not sure I can prove that because my EB3 was applied for "software engineer" and currently I am promoted to "principal software engineer". The DOT and SOC codes for both the jobs are the same. And I also do not have 5 years of experience prior to joining my current employer. So my attorney says that it will be difficult to show the experience that I gained from my current employer for EB2.

I am not sure if my experience helps you or not, but please check with your attorney.

veni001
06-22-2010, 03:46 PM
With same employer could definitely trigger audits from both DOL and USCIS!!

Hi,

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Sunil

bharad
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Its better to change your employer.

Even my attorney has screwed me big time in 2004. We had a discussion for over two days with my HR and the attorney and the decision was to file the labor in EB2 category otherwise I was not willing to start my GC process with the company. Then the backlog stuff happened and after 3 years I came to know that it is EB3 labor, by that time the attorney stopped representing my company and even the HR left the job.

Now my company doesn't want to start an EB2 process as they don't want to put extra money. So look for a better/similar job and make the move. As the market is improving this is the right time to take some decision.

Cheers!!!