PDA

View Full Version : EB3 Processing Time

BimmerFAn
06-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi guys, I am trying to understand this whole process and was wondering if you could help me out.

I'm a CPA working for a Big4 in the US for h1-B. I have 2 years of experiences (1 with the same company). I am not from Europe. I have the following 2 questions:

1. What can I expect in terms of waiting for a GC if my employer were to file today? It's a huge firm and submits many GC sponsorship requests per year. I belieave 700 were submitted in 2009.

2. Would my CPA/Lvl 2 CFA Certification as well as my membership in professional organizations and performance bonuses (highlighting exceptional ability) bump me up to EB2 if EB3 is not current?

Thank you for your input.

greyhair
06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I also work for Big4, but I work in IT. Wait time depends on your country of birth and the category of your application. If you are from India or China in Eb3, then you would be better off not applying because you will most likely retire before you get your green card.

It may be helpful to apply in Eb2. I am not sure if CFA Lvl 2 will qualify you for Eb2. But if you have Masters degree in your area of expertise then Eb2 should not be an issue. Performance bonus is not a measure of exceptional ability for Eb2.

You will have to provide more details or you will have to understand the process to estimating the time it will take for the approval. Given the size of the backlog, Eb2 is always better than Eb3. Ultimately, it depends on your employer and your job requirement.

BimmerFAn
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't have a Masters although most people I work with do. I work in Audit/Advisory. One must have at least 150 credits at US University to apply for the position. Most people get their Masters in order to satisfy this requirement. I double majored in Finance and Accounting and am now worried that I shot myself in the foot.

The job requirement states:
Masters or Bachaelor's of Accounting (if 150 credit requirement is met) is required.

The position implies a Master's Degree requirement but will accept BS if, as in my case, one double majored or took on alot of classes.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am from Europe so I am wondering how severe the backlog is. I can't believe the wait can be that long.

sunnymit
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
In your first post you said you were not from europe which is why greyhair asked you for your country of birth.

Anyway, being from Europe will put you in the ROW (Rest of the World) category and based on the last visa bulletin (Visa Bulletin for July 2010 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5019.html)) the priority date for EB3 is 15AUG03 where as EB2 is Current. If you can file in EB2 all is well for you, if not, then based on the priority date for EB3 it will take a long time for you to get the GC. Keep in mind though that ROW is not as bad as some other countries like India and China but the fact that it is currently in 03 indicates that there is certainly a backlog that needs to be cleared before the dates get current.

Hope that helps..

smuggymba
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I used to work for big4 in IT, they file in EB3 unless you're a Sr. Mgr. I quit and joined another US company just for EB2...hoping for the best.

BimmerFAn
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah I saw on the Visa Bulletin that EB3 is really backed up. Kind of upsetting because I am sure that not too many people from my country are working in my field.

Regardless, my position is that of a Financial Services Auditor. The position requirements state that a Master's degree is preferred but a Bachelor's is acceptable if one meets the credit hour requirements to sit for the CPA exam (150 hours).

I heard that EB2 category placement depends on the position requirements not on my actual degree, which is a BS in Accounting and Finance (Double Major, exceeding 150 credit hours). Using that information is there any way that I could be placed in EB2? I got the job with a lesser degree because I was able to demonstrate exceptional ability.

As far as the bonus thing goes, I was trying to address the "renumeration" requirement for EB2. My company is one of the top in the field globally. I reason that if one receives bonuses for being one of the top performers in that company then it should be "exceptional ability."

Lastly I would meet the Professional licensing - CPA/CFA - and professional organization membership - AICPA and other State orgs.

I would speak to my company attorney about this, but I want to get the facts straight. I can see that to save myself a headache I might as well get married to a US citizen.

optimist
06-23-2010, 04:07 PM
...I would speak to my company attorney about this, but I want to get the facts straight. I can see that to save myself a headache I might as well get married to a US citizen.

Keeping immigration aside, if you think getting married will save you any headaches, you are setting yourself up for some big surprises buddy :D

Jokes apart, indeed the fastest route to a GC is by applying as spouse of a US Citizen. If that is an option for you, GO FOR IT!

BimmerFAn
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I you're right about that! At least that takes all this immigration stuff off my plate. It would be nice not to have to worry about having to go back to a country I don't even know anymore. I came to the US (legally) when I was 10 and now im approaching my mid 20s. I don't think the DREAM act if passed would even apply to me.. which is BS but that's another discussion all together.

Anyways... I would still like someone to give me a more definitive answer about possibly qualifying for EB2. My impression is that since most people my level have a Masters and it was an implied requirement that could be substituted with a Masters equivalent than wouldn't it stand to reason that I have a great shot at EB2. It's impossible to get a CPA License in my state without having a Masters in accounting or a Bachelor's degree ant 150 credits + experience. It's not "unskilled labor". The CFA is even crazier.

paulinasmith
08-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi guys, I am trying to understand this whole process and was wondering if you could help me out.

I'm a CPA working for a Big4 in the US for h1-B. I have 2 years of experiences (1 with the same company). I am not from Europe. I have the following 2 questions:

1. What can I expect in terms of waiting for a GC if my employer were to file today? It's a huge firm and submits many GC sponsorship requests per year. I belieave 700 were submitted in 2009.

2. Would my CPA/Lvl 2 CFA Certification as well as my membership in professional organizations and performance bonuses (highlighting exceptional ability) bump me up to EB2 if EB3 is not current?

Thank you for your input.

Even if u are born in Europe the EB-3 priority date of India and Europe are equal/same. EB-3 no longer depend upon your place of Birth.

isantem
08-05-2010, 02:02 PM
EB-3 no longer depend upon your place of Birth.

:confused::eek: this is a new law by president paulinasmith?:D

amitjoey
08-05-2010, 02:10 PM
The requirements of the job dictates whether or not you can qualify for EB2. So if you have a PHD or Post doctoral research, will not matter if the job you are doing only requires a Bachelors degree holder with minimal experience.

On the other hand if the job requires that you have Bachelors with atleast 5 years of experience you could. Also, you have to pass the market labor test. So, the job has to be for skills that are in demand for which there is no US citizen available.