PDA

View Full Version : Letter from HR regarding Green Card sponsoring

uma001
07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Your question is understandable.
You’re correct that XXX’s PERM application was approved. This is, indeed, good news. However, it does not mean that labor is no longer an issue or that responding to queries is easy. Let me see if I can clarify this for you.
We initiated the recruiting process for XXX in early 2008. At that time, we were not able to identify any qualified US workers during the recruiting phase. We were able to go to the next step in the process (submit his PERM application) because we were able to state that no other qualified US workers were available to fill the position. His PERM application was filed in July/08 and wasn’t approved until this month – 2 years later.
As you know, we had every intention of submitting a PERM application on your behalf as well. Unfortunately, when we went through the recruiting process, we were able to identify US workers who met the minimum qualifications for the position and were available to work. Therefore, we could not proceed to the next step because we were not able to state that no other qualified US workers were available to fill the position. If we find qualified US workers during the recruiting phase, we cannot continue with the PERM application because it will be denied.
The challenge that faces this company with regard to sponsoring green cards remains the same. Given the labor market conditions (more workers available and looking for work) there is a high probability that we will find US workers during the recruiting phase who meet the minimum qualifications and are available to work. That means we can’t submit the PERM application because it will be denied. Or, to put it another way, it is unlikely that we’ll be successful in the recruiting phase. Therefore, the company’s position remains the same – we will not sponsor green card applications at this time.
I am sorry about the potential challenges and frustrations this creates for you. Please contact me if you have additional questions.

eastindia
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
The HR is absolutely right. If a US citizen is available for your job, they cannot apply for PERM. This is the basic requirement for a Green Card process. You can either change your job and go to a location in USA where your skills are in high demand and no USA Citizen is available or upgrade your skills so that no US Citizen can match a job you apply for. When unemployment is high, more US citizens will be available for the same job and PERM is not possible for many companies.

uma001
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
The HR is absolutely right. If a US citizen is available for your job, they cannot apply for PERM. This is the basic requirement for a Green Card process. You can either change your job and go to a location in USA where your skills are in high demand and no USA Citizen is available or upgrade your skills so that no US Citizen can match a job you apply for. When unemployment is high, more US citizens will be available for the same job and PERM is not possible for many companies.

EastIndia,

They laidoff a US citizen and took me for that position 3.5 years back. I know the basic requirement for a Green Card processing. They can't find a candidate with a skillset that I have. How do you find out where your skills are in high demand, how do you know that there wont be any US citizen , after posting ads. How many times do you need to do that. How many times you can take that risk?

illinois_alum
07-20-2010, 12:16 AM
EastIndia,

They laidoff a US citizen and took me for that position 3.5 years back. I know the basic requirement for a Green Card processing. They can't find a candidate with a skillset that I have. How do you find out where your skills are in high demand, how do you know that there wont be any US citizen , after posting ads. How many times do you need to do that. How many times you can take that risk?

Uma - As long as they find a candidate who has the minimum basic skills to perform the job, they have to consider. You may have acquired additional skills than what is required...but that doesn't concern HR. Its like someone saying that they have a Masters degree and so they should qualify for filing in EB2 - but the company files in EB3 because the "job requirements" do not require a Masters degree.

ravi98
07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
EastIndia,

Uma, you have helped me a lot by answering many of the questions that are pertinent to me - thank you. I also read that you are yet to apply for the green card....is this the hurdle that you are facing over and over? Smaller cities/towns may have jobs and US citizens may not be qualified to do the work there.....that is an option. However, the quality of life and schools (if you have kids) may not be that good......

uma001
07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Uma - As long as they find a candidate who has the minimum basic skills to perform the job, they have to consider. You may have acquired additional skills than what is required...but that doesn't concern HR. Its like someone saying that they have a Masters degree and so they should qualify for filing in EB2 - but the company files in EB3 because the "job requirements" do not require a Masters degree.
They did not put all the necessary skills in the job description. For the kind of description they put, anybody can apply. Since it's a fortune 500 company, HR does noto cooperate much with me . Why should they lay off US citizen and take me and not doing green card. And that guy was earning 60% of what I am earning now. The work I am doing is not a simple work though. They did it knowingly. I posted this mail so that others could understand how fortune companies use and throw h1 guys. I am planning to move to consuting company. I cannot risk joining another american company and wait till probationary period and delay the filing. I lost the patience.

uma001
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Uma, you have helped me a lot by answering many of the questions that are pertinent to me - thank you. I also read that you are yet to apply for the green card....is this the hurdle that you are facing over and over? Smaller cities/towns may have jobs and US citizens may not be qualified to do the work there.....that is an option. However, the quality of life and schools (if you have kids) may not be that good......

Yes, I do have kid. I need to think about schooling etc.,planning to move to consulting company.

eb3retro
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
you are very correct, this is what the big companies do...Exploit.

They did not put all the necessary skills in the job description. For the kind of description they put, anybody can apply. Since it's a fortune 500 company, HR does noto cooperate much with me . Why should they lay off US citizen and take me and not doing green card. And that guy was earning 60% of what I am earning now. The work I am doing is not a simple work though. They did it knowingly. I posted this mail so that others could understand how fortune companies use and throw h1 guys. I am planning to move to consuting company. I cannot risk joining another american company and wait till probationary period and delay the filing. I lost the patience.

eastindia
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
you are very correct, this is what the big companies do...Exploit.

If you say big companies exploit, then what about consulting companies?

Uma you are better off applying in small companies in small towns where people do not want to go. You can also try in states where nobody wants to go. In bad economy it is a best bet. Few years ago when labor used to take 5 years people applied to companies in Alaska, Montana, Dakotas etc and got greencards in 1 year.

sanju_dba
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Uma,
when you decided to move to a consulting company, please take just one more step before leaving the current company.
What I understand is, Finding a suitable applicant mean, the applicant should be tested till interview level and be selected, not just receiving a resume.
If that interview didnot happend please see if that can be done, and according to you, they had a generic description of the job requirements, so obviously the prospective will fall apart and you will arise.
I know how it feels, be strong and think peacefully!

snathan
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM

I would strongly recommend leaving that company. Then they will know the pain. It seems like they are exploiting you assuming you will not leave them. I would say its your mistake for not leaving them so long especially when you have rare skills. If I were you, I would have started the GC for future employement with a consulting company and keep it as a back up.

So I would not have to lose the PD or risk the job. So when you are joining a consulting company, let them start the GC process before you join them. Atleast wait till the PERM is getting approved.

uma001
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I would strongly recommend leaving that company. Then they will know the pain. It seems like they are exploiting you assuming you will not leave them. I would say its your mistake for not leaving them so long especially when you have rare skills. If I were you, I would have started the GC for future employement with a consulting company and keep it as a back up.

So I would not have to lose the PD or risk the job. So when you are joining a consulting company, let them start the GC process before you join them. Atleast wait till the PERM is getting approved.

I tried for GC for future employment with three to four companies (one with the company where my friend works as recruiter). But they said they are getting lot of audits with these kind of green cards, so they stopped doing it. Nowadays if you want to get new H1, you need to have a project and client letter in hand. To get a project, you need to have H1 . Its vice versa and it sucks.

May be my streak of bad luck continues . Don't know when it will end.
I sent an email to HR yesterday asking to return back all my documents submitted for green card.Not received any response yet.

gc_check
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Really feel sorry for your situation. The big companies HR/Legal does not investigate much on the laws and always try to keep things very simple, so they do not have to do more work. This could result in cases like your's identifying a US Citizen, who just qualifies based on the paper work, but in reality they might not. At the same time, given the job market condition, it is still not a surprise if they can find a match even with the unique skill set. But the law always looks what is documented. If they have hired you for the unique skills you possess, then they should be able document that and try the best. Given that Green Card processing is a long process. it is always not safe to rely on the people who do very less home work and do not fight for you. They can still get the Green card process going at the same time adhere to the laws here. Since you possess unique skills, see if you can identify other prospective employer that start the PERM based on the Skills you have. Good luck.

thomachan72
07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Uma,
when you decided to move to a consulting company, please take just one more step before leaving the current company.
What I understand is, Finding a suitable applicant mean, the applicant should be tested till interview level and be selected, not just receiving a resume.
If that interview didnot happend please see if that can be done, and according to you, they had a generic description of the job requirements, so obviously the prospective will fall apart and you will arise.

I agree. Just recieving applications is not sufficient they have to conduct interview or select the person. Now the problem here is since the qualifications listed are minimal in the posting the grounds of rejecting that applicant can be questioned by the labor dept who will be scutinizing the recruitment process.

uma001
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Uma,

I spoke to HR long time back about this. They are not listening to me. They said Vp has selected two candidates. I tried to explain them that just selection of two candidates is not enough, they need to be interviewed, even if they are selected after technical interview, there are chances that they can be rejected in final round of interview (HR or some other). They did not agree for that. My VP told me directly that "we found the candidates". They totally put my PM outside the loop. Whenever I asked my PM about the happening he said 'Don't worry, it will be taken care'. This is health care company ranked between 400 - 420.

eastindia
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
The company is screwing you knowing that you do not have options to get greencard. If you find another job and resign they may negotiate and start your greencard ASAP. You need to show that they have sommething to lose if you leave. Unless you show your value they will not care. This is a mistake a lot of peope make.

HRs are known to stay away from hard work on immigration matters, even if it means just signing a form that lawyer send them.

illinois_alum
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM

HR does not write job description. If the additional skills are indeed required then you should talk to your manager or the department head who help write the job description. Essentially what you are telling me is that HR is trying to force a person without the required skills into the organization. HR doesn't make those decisions...eventually those decisions are made by the business unit.
Don't get me wrong...I sympathize with you. But your best bet is to talk to your manager (and through him get to the person who actually writes the job description) to get the description updated with the exact skills required.

smuggymba
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I spoke to HR long time back about this. They are not listening to me. They said Vp has selected two candidates. I tried to explain them that just selection of two candidates is not enough, they need to be interviewed, even if they are selected after technical interview, there are chances that they can be rejected in final round of interview (HR or some other). They did not agree for that. My VP told me directly that "we found the candidates". They totally put my PM outside the loop. Whenever I asked my PM about the happening he said 'Don't worry, it will be taken care'. This is health care company ranked between 400 - 420.

Looks like u work for the same firm I used to work for:)

uma001
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
HR does not write job description. If the additional skills are indeed required then you should talk to your manager or the department head who help write the job description. Essentially what you are telling me is that HR is trying to force a person without the required skills into the organization. HR doesn't make those decisions...eventually those decisions are made by the business unit.
Don't get me wrong...I sympathize with you. But your best bet is to talk to your manager (and through him get to the person who actually writes the job description) to get the description updated with the exact skills required.

VP wrote the job description and VP do not want PM to be involved in this.When I asked PM about this he said it is not in his hands and VP and HR did not involve him in these matters.

uma001
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
This was the email I received from HR after all the steps for filing were done.

Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 11:20 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: RE: Green card filing

Hi there Uma,
We are in the final steps of the process. Outside counsel is working on their last piece as am I. I spoke with everyone last week. It will be completed when you do the final sign off. I will let you know when to expect the 9089 when I find out from Legal.

illinois_alum
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
VP wrote the job description and VP do not want PM to be involved in this.When I asked PM about this he said it is not in his hands and VP and HR did not involve him in these matters.

That is as clear as it gets...the company doesn't need you now. Maybe at one point in time, they did need you...but they don't now. The best course of action is to look for another job and quit this company. They don't want to lay you off directly but that is what they are saying...after the 6 yrs are over on H1B, you cannot work any longer and so they will then ask you to quit.

In fact, its quite possible...that they will use your remaining time with the company to transfer your knowledge and skills to the new hire. If you have options, I say quit as soon as you can. Only then will they know your true worth. And then if they come back for negotiations, I would suggest you negotiate saying you will quit for now and join back once they complete the labor filing (or once labor is cleared and they file the Immigrant peition or I-140 for future employment).

eastindia
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
It is clear that the employer does not want you. If you have the freedom to find jobs, you should find a job. This is free market. No employer cares for the employee and vice versa. They both care for their interests. This is not India where employees start with one company and retire with the same company thinking they are loyal to their master. Even government employees call themselves 'Government servants'. This is so sick. Get out of the company if you have the possibility of finding a new job., If you are in a big city, you can find many jobs.

uma001
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I am the only person from whom they took the documents and did not file green cards. For other H1s, they did not take documents ,but denied doing green cards. One guy got lucky and his labor is approved. Eight H1s guys planning to quit sooner or later.

uma001
07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
It is clear that the employer does not want you. If you have the freedom to find jobs, you should find a job. This is free market. No employer cares for the employee and vice versa. They both care for their interests. This is not India where employees start with one company and retire with the same company thinking they are loyal to their master. Even government employees call themselves 'Government servants'. This is so sick. Get out of the company if you have the possibility of finding a new job., If you are in a big city, you can find many jobs.

What happened to the promise they made before I joined?

pbuckeye
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
What happened to the promise they made before I joined?

I have experienced this first hand at the hand of a fortune 150 insurance company. Needless to say, I quit and joined a consulting company which promptly started my GC process.

I suggest you do the same. However, you should also weigh all the pros and cons of this option (career path, problems with H1B extension, getting long term projects, etc)

jelo
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=uma001;1970623]
As you know, we had every intention of submitting a PERM application on your behalf as well. Unfortunately, when we went through the recruiting process, we were able to identify US workers who met the minimum qualifications for the position and were available to work. Therefore, we could not proceed to the next step because we were not able to state that no other qualified US workers were available to fill the position. If we find qualified US workers during the recruiting phase, we cannot continue with the PERM application because it will be denied.
QUOTE]

Why are they going to the recruiting process again for the same position after selecting a candidate 2 years back? Is there anything that I am missing to understand? Is there anything in the GC process that says the employer needs to recheck for the US citizens periodically? They should not apply the labor delays to the hiring process. Had you not been from India and finished complete process in 1 year, and you have already joined in the company, what would be their position?

thomachan72
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=uma001;1970623]
QUOTE]

Why are they going to the recruiting process again for the same position after selecting a candidate 2 years back? Is there anything that I am missing to understand? Is there anything in the GC process that says the employer needs to recheck for the US citizens periodically? They should not apply the labor delays to the hiring process. Had you not been from India and finished complete process in 1 year, and you have already joined in the company, what would be their position?

Jelo thats correct. If your initial hiring (H1b application) falls within 6 months of your filing for labor then they are able to use the original advertisements etc. If the labor is decided to be filed at a later stage (year/s later) then they have to re-advertize, wait 45 days or so and then if no application is recieved or all other applicants are found unsuitable proceed with the LC.

jelo
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the Response..
But OP did not say that the application filed 2 years back is H1b. It is wrote PERM application and is approved after 2 years. So his original H1b approval took 2 years? Original message having 'PERM application' twice is confusing me. Please clarify if they meant different

anu_t
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Oh! This is just an lame excuse by the company. It seems to me that VP just doesn't want any H1 guy in their company. May be Now after all the work is done they Now realised and wanted to show "How much they care about America.":mad:

UMA , did they give it in writing or something that they will apply for GC?
Also not all the fortune companies do the same thing. So don't just apply to a consulting company .

uma001
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=uma001;1970623]
QUOTE]

Jelo,

I did not post the questions I asked HR

Here is the question. Recently labor for another guy is approved after two years in audit. I was thinking that they were scared becos of audit and decided not to do green card procesing. So I wanted to try this last time.

Hi,

I heard that XXXX's labor is approved. It’s a good news for the company. Since approval of labor is not an issue anymore, responding to queries is easy, Is there any chance that green card process can be started for other H1 employees also?.

uma001
07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh! This is just an lame excuse by the company. It seems to me that VP just doesn't want any H1 guy in their company. May be Now after all the work is done they Now realised and wanted to show "How much they care about America.":mad:

UMA , did they give it in writing or something that they will apply for GC?
Also not all the fortune companies do the same thing. So don't just apply to a consulting company .

One banking company started doing this. They told all the H1s that they are not going to file green card except who already in process.
The problem with big comanies, they take 3 months - 9 months probation overall it takes one year to file. Consulting companies file immediately and response to any queries with care.

jelo
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry for what you are having and clearly you do not have any control over the situation. Forget about it and search for a new job. If you have a job in hand then you will be in a good position to select a consulting company. Don't think all the consulting companies are same and GC is only one aspect of looking. Again take time and enquire alot before joining any consulting company for the peaceful future. Goodluk with everything

chanduv23
07-20-2010, 05:25 PM
One banking company started doing this. They told all the H1s that they are not going to file green card except who already in process.
The problem with big comanies, they take 3 months - 9 months probation overall it takes one year to file. Consulting companies file immediately and response to any queries with care.

Do not get into conclusions quickly. A lot of things are going on and things are not easy. It is a fact that there is a lot of unemployment but then getting skilled workers is also a challenge.

Your same company might be going out of the way to sponsor a green card to another employee but might be giving you a hard time because of political reasons. (maybe they plan to outsource your job or even downsize further and as you are performing well, they cannot lay you off citing that reason)

It is your life and you have to make decisions.

Here are some things that you can try before you change employer or look for other opportunities.

(1) Control your emotions
(2) Talk it out to your management - manager, VP, etc.. HR is not a decision maker, HR ONLY listens to the management. If your VP decides your green card can be processed, HR will have to process it.
(3) Convince them. Try to have a healthy conversation or a healthy exchange. Do not talk about hardships or get emotional or say you are indispensible. Just tell them, that you would like to get your Green Card sponsored.

If the above turns out negative, you must try for other options.

As such, things are not getting better as we all see. More and more cost cutting ad outsoucing happening everywhere.

I strongly advice you not to get stressed over it. Look at all options. You may qualify for EB1 C, who knows? You can change to a company who can sponsor for your green card.

Be very careful with HR personnel. They are crooks. Do not believe any word they say and do not try to have casual conversation with them. They are most dangerous and always trying to score brownie points with management. In fact they advice company on immigration policies and sometimes wrongly guide managers for their benefit.

krishmunn
07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Be very careful with HR personnel. They are crooks. Do not believe any word they say and do not try to have casual conversation with them. They are most dangerous and always trying to score brownie points with management. In fact they advice company on immigration policies and sometimes wrongly guide managers for their benefit.

Excellent point.

praveenuppaluri
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
hi Uma, I don't know your background but you have very few options at this time. I was in your shoes late last year but my GM stepped in and HR had to agree. my job description was a little specific to the job and they filed my Perm Jan 28th.

(a) you can go back to the VP and try changing the job description (looks like you tried this avenue with no progress)
(b) try finding a similar job with a competitor. even an interview with them will turn some heads and grease some wheels (personal exp ;)
(c) try EB2-NIW. this has better chances than EB1-EA/C. no PERM required but need some recommendation letters.

i know its easy to say "keep your cool" but try to stay calm and try to market your skills outside. good luck.

GC_Applicant
07-21-2010, 12:17 AM
I wasted six years to learn that. Infact, the HR guys are more skilled in befriending and talking.They know our vulnerability and exploit it. I couldn't agree more on what Chandu had mentioned about HR.

Excellent point.

dreamgc_real
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
is it possible for you to get your boss to pressurize the HR? If you are valuable to your boss, insist that he comes through for you...
I realize that is easily said than done! but give it a try!

ghost
07-21-2010, 10:40 AM
The Bear - Film by Jean-Jacques Annaud (http://www.flixxy.com/bear-animal-nature-film.htm)

uma001
07-21-2010, 01:33 PM
is it possible for you to get your boss to pressurize the HR? If you are valuable to your boss, insist that he comes through for you...
I realize that is easily said than done! but give it a try!

My boss is dummy. Everything is VP. He manages three PMs, one Director , two AVPs.

paulinasmith
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Your question is understandable.
You’re correct that XXX’s PERM application was approved. This is, indeed, good news. However, it does not mean that labor is no longer an issue or that responding to queries is easy. Let me see if I can clarify this for you.
We initiated the recruiting process for XXX in early 2008. At that time, we were not able to identify any qualified US workers during the recruiting phase. We were able to go to the next step in the process (submit his PERM application) because we were able to state that no other qualified US workers were available to fill the position. His PERM application was filed in July/08 and wasn’t approved until this month – 2 years later.
The challenge that faces this company with regard to sponsoring green cards remains the same. Given the labor market conditions (more workers available and looking for work) there is a high probability that we will find US workers during the recruiting phase who meet the minimum qualifications and are available to work. That means we can’t submit the PERM application because it will be denied. Or, to put it another way, it is unlikely that we’ll be successful in the recruiting phase. Therefore, the company’s position remains the same – we will not sponsor green card applications at this time.
I am sorry about the potential challenges and frustrations this creates for you. Please contact me if you have additional questions.

People are sponsored for H1B when their profession is "speciality occupation".US Citizens are eligible to live the luxurious life of unemployment on social security benefits which a H1B cannot afford.I know many US Citizens who are living in castle and call themselves jobless.You will always find them looking for job. Not all US Citizens are good in IT/Technology. Most of the IT/Technology work is handled by people from South Asia or China. How can a US Citizen just always looking for job may qualify for job skill set requirement ("speciality occupation")?