PDA

View Full Version : List of companies who promises to do green card but would not do it

uma001
07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Guys,

Hope this thread will be useful for somebody who is looking for american company for green card processing. They wont get into the trap. So I am giving out the information from the known source(friends).

Company1: Deloitte
Company2: Chase

These two companies promised doing green card cards,they filed h1s, but did not file green card.Whatever reason (bad economy) may be, they did not sponsor green cards for those they promised to do. So be careful. It is not gaurantee.
Also, you can list the companies you know whoever promised, but did not file.

snathan
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Guys,

Hope this thread will be useful for somebody who is looking for american company for green card processing. They wont get into the trap. So I am giving out the information from the known source(friends).

These two companies promised doing green card cards,they filed h1s, but did not file green card.Whatever reason (bad economy) may be, they did not sponsor green cards for those they promised to do. So be careful. It is not gaurantee.

A sure invitation for defamation suit. Good luck.

LegalIndianInUSA
07-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Yea sure, be scared of corporatiions and defamation suits and let them enslave you. Sheeple mentality.

Add, the "now dead" Sun Microsystems to the list.
They even give you an offer letter/appointment letter which says "We will file for your greencard", and then dilly-dally about it for 4 years.

fuck em.
Take control of your own destiny.

sk.aggarwal
07-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Add Wachovia now acquired by Wells Fargo to the list. They don't even do H1 extensions.

uma001
07-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Add Wachovia now acquired by Wells Fargo to the list. They don't even do H1 extensions.

That's too bad.

uma001
07-29-2010, 06:11 AM

There is nothing wrong in what I have posted to invite defamation suit.We should be filing defamation suit against them for not filing green cards as promised.Whatever my friend said I posted here.

uma001
07-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Mod/Admins,

please confirm whether we can post this type of information.This is to protect H1 guys from falling into trap from these companies

smuggymba
07-29-2010, 09:31 AM

This is just info, OP is not defaming anyone. He might be wrong about the info, but this info is not causing any harm to those companies.

immigrant2007
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Yea sure, be scared of corporatiions and defamation suits and let them enslave you. Sheeple mentality.

Add, the "now dead" Sun Microsystems to the list.
They even give you an offer letter/appointment letter which says "We will file for your greencard", and then dilly-dally about it for 4 years.

fuck em.
Take control of your own destiny.

Did the companies ever give in written that our gc will be filed? and H1 extension will be applied? If yes you have a case at hand otherwise frustration

uma001
07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Did the companies ever give in written that our gc will be filed? and H1 extension will be applied? If yes you have a case at hand otherwise frustration

The issue with not filing green card is ,even if it is written in offer letter..The lawyer can always come and say ' We tried our best to apply for your grene card. But we could not demonstrate that we could not find american citizens with minimum requirements.'
A promise is a promise whether verbal or written.
In this matter desi consultancies are far better.

immigrant2007
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
The issue with not filing green card is ,even if it is written in offer letter..The lawyer can always come and say ' We tried our best to apply for your grene card. But we could not demonstrate that we could not find american citizens with minimum requirements.'
A promise is a promise whether verbal or written.
In this matter desi consultancies are far better.

I know you are not going to like my reply...but written is a written issue. Desi consultancies and body shops have thier own issue. Infact they exploited the system and candidates to the core.
Having things documented is the best way. If a company had to play fould it can do it anytime (even on verbal). I also learned the hard way. While writing we can still refere outside lawyers (of our choice)

wizkid732
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Why dont you start a campaign against these top notch companies that they are cheating H1Bs by not filing for Greencards? May be some senator who is bidding for a reelection in Nov will help you.

On a serious note think about what you are asking from the company. If your services to the company are so valuable and if the company cannot survive without you, they will go to any extent to keep you. Your java/.net/unix/sap skills were very valuable just a few years ago, right now the same candidates are available in Tons. For the couple of positions we have, i am seeing 20-30 resumes everyday. What makes you so qualified that the company needs to do a gc (remember it is an incentive, just like signon bonus and profit sharing and relocation)? I do not know if anyone really is putting this on the offer letter and be liable if they backtrack on this/

The names people are referring to are top companies. They are not obligated. So if they start the process and and they find people of your caliber they are obliged to hire them. Are you ready to forego your process at that stage? Also if they take a year for just filing are you ok with that? Basically what i am saying is that it is the employee/employer relationship.

People bitch about desi companies (I dont work for one) as to how they gouge employees. But the benefit is that they go above and beyond to keep you on payroll. Do that with an American company - as soon as your contract ends you are done and out of job and out of status (technically). I personally know some folks who are out of job since Nov 2009 and still somehow managing to be legal (or atleast they claim)

So bottom line is you cant have the cake and eat it too that is if you want to work for a top notch company with your meager skills and have the benefits of desi company.

You should have come a few years earlier when people took advantage of

Reduction in Recruitment
Labor substitution
Applying from states where the process took 3 months as opposed to 4 years
starting companies in ME, NH, VT etc
Oh by the way porting from EB3 to EB2 now

People always find loopholes in the processes for quicker processing.

Guys,

svr_76
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Filing H1 and GC(Perm) are 2 different problems. H1 is temporarily hiring a skilled resource whereas GC is the intent to sponser for permanent immigration. And hence PERM processing is more involved.

Big corporation, which have to maintain accurate HR job descriptions/codes etc find that during PERM advertisement, they do find qualified applicants. At that point they cannot continue the process. This "recruitment" process is the most costly of the entire GC process and if they "find/receive" applications from qualified citizens/GC holders/Or ppl who dont need sponsership (read EAD) then they have to stop that process....

So saying that we will do GC is fine..but the current ground realities are different. You can get GC done from Desi consultant bcos the skirt the whole issue and "make" up the job requirement they want..well (read hell) they will even run fake pay stubs for u...so they can do wonders.

uma001
07-29-2010, 01:42 PM
When they cannot do it, why promise?. Complete the pre-PERM process in 3-6 months and come to decision immediately.Dont drag it for 3-4 years and say 'oh, no we cant file green cards, we found candidates and they will hire H1s again, not american citizens. And they repeat the whole process again.Wasting 3-4 years on GC process is not a small thing. You need to start from scratch again.

If big companies do not have any intention of doing green cards then say it before hiring.

GeetaRam
07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Add CareFirst - Blue Cross Blue Shield
Legg Meson

All these companies take people on H1 and after an year of year an half they say they have changed policy and they can't file H1. They have big lawyers like M**** and R**** and those lawyers tell employers even if your employee is on 5th year and if you don't file GC (PERM) b4 365 days its alright.... we can send them out and re catpture time and all BS and ultimately employees suffer.... as they r in their 5th or some are in 6th year and are completely screwed up.
We should think of taking some legal actions...

sc09876
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Legg Meson

All these companies take people on H1 and after an year of year an half they say they have changed policy and they can't file H1. They have big lawyers like M**** and R**** and those lawyers tell employers even if your employee is on 5th year and if you don't file GC (PERM) b4 365 days its alright.... we can send them out and re catpture time and all BS and ultimately employees suffer.... as they r in their 5th or some are in 6th year and are completely screwed up.

Ya..make sure you consult your attorney to know if such a thing is viable. :). Make sure you read the "employment at will" agreement along with all the other 28 pages that you will abide by the HR policies and also make sure that you read the 125 pages of HR policies.

gc_check
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Given the unemployment rate and also the current market condition, it is not really favorable for starting a Green Card process (Labor/PERM) if you belong to one of the field, where there are adequate number of people already available. The recent economic conditions has flooded the market with many people who might qualify, as the requirement is to accept any US Citizen/Perm Resident, if one has the minimum qualification, even if you do not have all that is requested for. Future GC holder might like this provision after GC !! It is now become even difficult to prove that no matching candidate was found. If you are eligible for EB1/EB2 (National Interest Waiver / Exceptional Ability) where you can get a waiver for labor and go for I-140 directly, then you have a better chance. Sadly (IT/Consultants) etc do not come under this, unless you are that exceptional with many patents, etc.. and have a better designation in the organization. Even couple patents would do no good in this case :(. One of the first step for GC, is to prove that it is not adversely affecting the US Citizen/Permanent Residents already in the country and if the HR is sure on this, they can't prove that no US citizen is available, they will not process GC. Remember the TARP Funded companies had restrictions imposed on them. Some of the companies listed are all good corporation that do thins per the law / books. Well, unless it is a small body shop totally rely on Consultants / Non-immigration worked for any reason, big companies will not spend extra $'s to get the Attorney's to be more creative to get through the process. When supply is adequate, they do not care. Unfortunately this causes so much stress / difficulty for the applicant going through the general EB3/EB2 (labor) category and USCIS slow processing and loop holes that were not addressed in the past but addressed now (Labor Sub. / Diff. process window in diff region, when people with later dates go through first,) per country limit, lost visa numbers cause enormous delay and added stress, but irrespective of all this, people still make it through eventually. A little patience and being persistent and take right steps will help regardless. We all know, the system is bad, complaining against it would not change. Work on making some positive influence on the system and even you fail many times, with each failure you go one step closure to achieve your goal. There were some success/relief that was obtained with the efforts of IV and the likes.. some set backs, but things will change for good. Sadly, due to lack of time, some people get affected the most and others not so much. Thatz life and real !!!

In your case, It is sad, they will not do GC as you were told at the time, when they hired you. But the reality in this is country --> Employment @ will and if you go through rest of the documents you have received, you will also see another clause "Either party can terminate the employment relationship, with or without reason with 2 weeks or without notice" depends on the company wording /time might change. Keep trying for alternate option that will help you get what you want.

uma001
07-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Given the unemployment rate and also the current market condition, it is not really favorable for starting a Green Card process (Labor/PERM) if you belong to one of the field, where there are adequate number of people already available. The recent economic conditions has flooded the market with many people who might qualify, as the requirement is to accept any US Citizen/Perm Resident, if one has the minimum qualification, even if you do not have all that is requested for. Future GC holder might like this provision after GC !!

In that case, employers should mention the following in the offer letter

" In case, in future, if economy goes bad and recession occurs,we cannot sponsor your green card since it is easy to find american citizens who has minimum qualification."

This should be mentioned on the offer letters given by big comapnies.Then it is up to H1B candidate whenter to take the offer(risk) or not.
Can these companies do this????

immigrant2007
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Legg Meson

advise forall my friends (ots free)
don't comprise on these things on job here:
GC
Salary
Position

Based on my experience here if you are good you will find your own way. Take everything in written or say no directly (it happens, no word of mouth)

wizkid732
07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
you crack me up. You seem to be really pissed off and dont want to listen right now beating around the same point. Take a deep breath, calm down and think about reality.

An employers job is not to make you happy. They try to make you happy so that you do the work they need from you. Thats all. I am sure they didnt hire you so that they have the privilege of sponsoring your GC.

Are you suggesting that in their offer letter they should imagine all the possible scenarios.
Employment is at will anyone can fire anyone at any time without notice. The 2 week notice is only customary.

I am not sure how long you have been in this country but i know quite a few folks who worked for big companies and got laid off on their 16th year(with a decent package ofcourse). And the reason is that for those companies, they pay pension after 18 yrs :-)

" In case, in future, if economy goes bad and recession occurs,we cannot sponsor your green card since it is easy to find american citizens who has minimum qualification."

This should be mentioned on the offer letters given by big comapnies.Then it is up to H1B candidate whenter to take the offer(risk) or not.

sc09876
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
@uma001
I understand your situation because you had posted elsewhere on exactly what happened to you.

Premise of the Green Card (and H1-B for that matter) is that an American citizen or a Permanent resident was not available with required skill sets for the work to be done.

Scrutiny at H1-B was traditionally a lot relaxed because it is temporary in nature by definition. A lot us seem to assume that Green Card is a natural progression from H1-B. In Employment Based GC, burden of proof lies with the organizations. I have worked with small and big organizations, and I am yet to come across an organization that will go out of the way or makes exceptions to an employee at the risk of its reputation or facing legal hassles.

When I had a choice to make may be 5 years back, a friend of mine advised me. If you have GC, big corporations can employ you easily, but if the big corporations employ you, it is not easy to get GC. (particularly because the HR would not be so easily accessible, but "control" is what he was alluding to.)

I took his advise, and landed a "desi" company, which was not so "desi" in its thought process and treatment though. They were flexible, at the same time, great to work with, paid very well and took care of expenses at actuals. I was lucky enough to have landed where I had.

One has to know very well, what one wants to do and where one one wants to head. If the over-riding factor is a GC application, find out where you get the flexibility. On the other hand, if an over riding factor is a satisfaction to work with big name companies, then you know how it works. No point blaming companies.

chanduv23
07-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Though it is unfortunate, I don't think you are understanding stuff right. If you think you have a case to fight, go ahead and do it. Consult an employment lawyer and see what can be done.

Anywhere in the world, it is always the employer who has the upper hand and you fight only if you are capable of.

It looks to me that you are venting out on the employer on this forum because you feel decieved or cheated, but the reality is that, it is just an unfortunate situation for you and all of us go through bad and frustrating times.

There are some companies who have filed EB1C left and right and employees got GCs in few months, there are companies who file EB3 for most qualified and that too when in 5th year.

A lot of physicians get future offers while they do fellowships etc... and the employer actualy files directly for GC and these folks get GC by the time their fellowships are over and they start work immediately.

Work with the situation, work with your employer, look for options, try to infleunce the system to make process better .... along the way you will see that you can achieve a lot by being positive about things.

Try to "Make things happen" rather than expecting things to happen, because things change and we all know "change is constant"

uma001
07-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I think you are talking out of frustration. Take your emotion out and think rationally. Why it takes 3-4 years for you to understand they are not going to start the GC process. Once its evident in 1-2 years they are giving all damn excesses...donít you need to start looking for other opportunity. They might be ethically wrong but its not illegal. Again you are just venting your frustration.

Yup, I tried...it happened once, why cant it happened twice or thrice. No gaurantee.

chanduv23
07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Let me tell you my story

I worked for a mid sized consulting company (not to be mistaken for desi contracting) and GC was filed in March 2004 (it was EB3 labor). I was in my 6th year of h1b in 2005 when this company got bought over and unfortunately I lost job in the 6th year of h1b with only 11 months of h1b left. At that time I was newly married and with no bank balance. Then I looked for a new job, managed to get a nice long term contract job in a month and got h1 transferred to a decent consulting company who applied for my 6th and 7th year of h1b using the labor already filed in the company I was layed off. When in my 6th year my new PERM got approved with this employer and 140 also approved and based on that I got 8th, 9th, 10th year h1b extensions. I managed to file for 485 in July fiasco and then after an year, I left the employer and started using EAD. That employer revoked my i 140 because I left them and then I had to deal with all the AC21 stuff and my journey still continues. Things were not easy, I had to maintain excellent billing rate, in one ocassion the client filed for chapter 11 and did not make payments to my employer and this strained my employer's finances and I had to make it up with a better billing rate with next client to keep my GC process intact and being consinuously employed on high billing contract jobs is also challenging.

The diference between your situation and mine is - you are left with a choice and a decision to make, whereas me, I felt like was taken to a top of cliff and thrown from there.

bondgoli007
07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
@wizkid...Nice job!! Go on and pile it on the poor sod!

You had already made your point in your initial post to this thread so why rub it in? Is it because you never have faced such a dire situation... if you cannot offer anything constructive atleast shut your trap, don't be such a jerk and let the guy vent!

@uma...I can understand your frustration at this point. Is staying and working in the US very important to you? If so, you can try to workout a solution with your employer where you can work for them in a different country for 1 year and then maybe come back with a new 6 year H1 time. If the economy gets better (and hoping it would), you can perhaps negotiate with them to restart your GC process or at that stage move to another employer. I ask you to think ahead with calm and logic. You will find a solution which you will be happy with in future.

I wish you all the best and Take care!

wizkid732
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Never been in a dire situation??

August 10th 2010 it will be 15 years in this country (Masters 95), so been there done and seen that, so stop cribbing and stop being a cry baby

poor sod! ???? No Comment :-)

@wizkid...Nice job!! Go on and pile it on the poor sod!

You had already made your point in your initial post to this thread so why rub it in? Is it because you never have faced such a dire situation... if you cannot offer anything constructive atleast shut your trap, don't be such a jerk and let the guy vent!

@uma...I can understand your frustration at this point. Is staying and working in the US very important to you? If so, you can try to workout a solution with your employer where you can work for them in a different country for 1 year and then maybe come back with a new 6 year H1 time. If the economy gets better (and hoping it would), you can perhaps negotiate with them to restart your GC process or at that stage move to another employer. I ask you to think ahead with calm and logic. You will find a solution which you will be happy with in future.

I wish you all the best and Take care!

anu_t
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
wizkid , You are absolutely right. Reading your story is just a great inspiration.

wizkid732
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I hope the process is improved. There cannot be so many loopholes where in some get it some dont. Everyone is hardworking and deserve a GC. The waiting game is too painful.

I edited my post as i didnt want to offend anyone. I was just chiding not to crib.

Remember you always have two options for everything. It depends on which one you take.

wizkid , You are absolutely right. Reading your story is just a great inspiration.

uma001
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Never been in a dire situation??

August 10th 2010 it will be 15 years in this country (Masters 95), so been there done and seen that, so stop cribbing and stop being a cry baby

poor sod! ???? No Comment :-)

15 years is too long. Khudos to you

I am not crying buddy, Just letting others know how they treat.You might have known about this already since you experienced it. Anyway, now I knew that there are more sad pasts here than mine.

FYI this is not my first H1, this is my second H1.Total 12 years since I landed in US for first time.

wizkid732
07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
It is a painful long journey. Remember there are always alternatives, just be prepared and dont put all your eggs in one basket. I did that once GC, House and School all supported by one job and when I was laid off all came crashing.

I wish you all the very best.

15 years is too long. Khudos to you

I am not crying buddy, Just letting others know how they treat.You might have known about this already since you experienced it. Anyway, now I knew that there are more sad pasts here than mine.

FYI this is not my first H1, this is my second H1.Total 12 years since I landed in US for first time.

trueguy
07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Add E&Y (Ernst and Young) to the list.

Horace Jones
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately it seems that others have run into similar situations, where an employer has promised to sponsor an H1 visa and then revoked that promise. Here is an example of a similar situation, where the immigrant party is a speech pathologist in Florida: My employer promised to sponsor me for Green Card and has now withdrawn that offer. I am a Speech Pathologist - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071203071112AAiWfB1)

sunnymit
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
At times we forget who we really are - Immigrants. Of course when the going gets tough, we will be the first ones to get hit. Why is that even under question? Do we expect any country to first worry about immigrants and then worry about its own citizens? I don't think so... We don't have the same rights as citizens or even GC holders, rightfully so. There are times when we will be discriminated against in the most polished way possible. For e.g. the President while giving out the TARP money to the banks mentioned that any banks receiving the loan can't hire any foreign worker (I don't remember the exact verbiage but it was something on these lines). Did people on H1s or other temporary work permits not pay taxes that consituted a portion (however small) of the TARP money handed out to the banks and car companies? So what? Some people complain about paying SS tax while they are not even eligible to receive any benefits unless they get GCs/Citizenships etc. So what?Now, all of these points can be argued in multiple ways but the bottom line is that us immigrants do have a lot of boundaries that we need to work within. Some of them are just, others aren't. Honestly, we are lucky that the govt hasn't come out with a rule yet that will send all the H1-Bs and other temporary work permit workers packing till the economy is back on its feet again. Guess what, we will all be angry about it when it happens to us, but the moment this coutnry opens the doors again to immigrants, we will be standing in the line right outisde the US embassy for new stamp.

Why am I saying all this - just to put things in perspective. As someone rightfully said earlier, filing for your GC process is an incentive by the company just like giving out a bonus - even that has a more certainity than GC. The company can anytime decide not to fulfill its obligations towards you if its not in its best interest.

Please believe me when I say that I am not writing this to lecture anyone about the realities of life. I have gone through the thick and thin of the immigration process just like all of you. I have spent countless hours thinking "agar aisa hoga, to phir kaisa hoga" (sounds filmy, I know) but its true. IMO, the sooner we understand the realities, the less painful it becomes for us...

mayhemt
08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Although they promise a lot of things on paper, we generally skip reading the fine print. Fine print generally would include this clause (language will be a bit different)...
"Although these are our policies, these might change at any time, with or without written notice".
End of story to all 'You promised me gold in your agreement' arguments.

Practically speaking, if you think from a company's perspective also, I don't blame them. Would you (Mr OP sir) be willing to invest in something that you are not sure that you will get profit from it? Like, you give me 100$, I may give it back+10%interest or may not give it back. If I want to give it back, I may give it back in 2yrs or even 30yrs, 100 yrs its upto me, depending on some citing of random comet I choose.
Same thing in company's point of view, if they invest in endless lawyer fees, filing fees, humongous paperwork and easily these days GC process take 5-35 years and during/after this time, What is the guarantee that you will still stick with the company - after all this investment of time & money? Companies need visible & predictable ROIs.

It is the age of cost cutting. If you don't like it, just quit it & start a company on your own and show them how to run it by sponsoring GCs left & right.

It is an unfortunate truth we all need to get accustomed to live with.
I guess it is in our Indian blood to expect freebies/extra perks from government, from employers (being socialist, a bit communist country and what not), and we forget it is the FREE MARKET that rules here. If your skills are in high demand, they will make you the king. If supply is high for your skills, they will go for someone cheaper..

uma001
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Mayhemt,

Please dont talk without knowing the truth.
I joined the company only for green card, I was a consultant for them before I became full time. They told me this 'We will sponsor green card, will you become full time' I said if you do green card I will join. But they did not keep their promise. Thatis give and take. They already gained from their investment, Thats y they dont want to sponsor anymore. They do green card for what we do for 6 years not for sticking with them for 20+ years.
if I was in my company shoes , I would not take the documents, drag for 2.5 years and say 'We found candidates' . I would have either said in 6 months sorry we cant do or file green card.One need to have honesty. If I am that smart likemy employer I would ve started a company already and firing H1 guys left n right

Although they promise a lot of things on paper, we generally skip reading the fine print. Fine print generally would include this clause (language will be a bit different)...
"Although these are our policies, these might change at any time, with or without written notice".

Practically speaking, if you think from a company's perspective also, I don't blame them. Would you (Mr OP sir) be willing to invest in something that you are not sure that you will get profit from it? Like, you give me 100$, I may give it back+10%interest or may not give it back. If I want to give it back, I may give it back in 2yrs or even 30yrs, 100 yrs its upto me, depending on some citing of random comet I choose.
Same thing in company's point of view, if they invest in endless lawyer fees, filing fees, humongous paperwork and easily these days GC process take 5-35 years and during/after this time, What is the guarantee that you will still stick with the company - after all this investment of time & money? Companies need visible & predictable ROIs.

It is the age of cost cutting. If you don't like it, just quit it & start a company on your own and show them how to run it by sponsoring GCs left & right.

I guess it is in our Indian blood to expect freebies/extra perks from government, from employers (being socialist, a bit communist country and what not), and we forget it is the FREE MARKET that rules here. If your skills are in high demand, they will make you the king. If supply is high for your skills, they will go for someone cheaper..

roseball
08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Mayhemt,

I joined the company only for green card, I was a consultant for them before I became full time. They told me this 'We will sponsor green card, will you become full time' I said if you do green card I will join. But they did not keep their promise. Thatis give and take. They already gained from their investment, Thats y they dont want to sponsor anymore. They do green card for what we do for 6 years not for sticking with them for 20+ years.
if I was in my company shoes , I would not take the documents, drag for 2.5 years and say 'We found candidates' . I would have either said in 6 months sorry we cant do or file green card.One need to have honesty. If I am that smart likemy employer I would ve started a company already and firing H1 guys left n right

If you only joined the company for a green card, then what were you doing all these years when your employer kept your documents and did not file. Why didn't you quit the job....If not more, you are to be equally blamed for the situation you are currently in....I understand your frustration, take a deep breath and move on.....Good luck....

illinois_alum
08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Legg Meson

GC is not a right. The corporations are completely within their rights to decide whether they want to sponsor someone's GC (and of course the big question being can they sponsor by following the due process if qualified citizens or existing perm residents are available for the job)

go_guy123
08-03-2010, 12:02 AM
If you only joined the company for a green card, then what were you doing all these years when your employer kept your documents and did not file. Why didn't you quit the job....If not more, you are to be equally blamed for the situation you are currently in....I understand your frustration, take a deep breath and move on.....Good luck....

Very true. One needs to be rational and take charge of one's destiny. Skilled based immigration is close to over now. The sooner one realises this, the less painfaul it will become. Yes I do agree it would be better if they make it more explicit like they do in the middle east.

LegalIndianInUSA
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM

There was no fine print on the appointment letter. There wasn't even fuzzy wording (like "we may" or "in most circumstances" etc).
Although I'm clearly educated about how the system works now, back then, at age 24, I wasn't. I was foolish enough to trust and believe that they would keep their word; they are after all, big multinational companies.
I don't want other young Indian/foreign immigrants to fall into the same predicament.
The sooner they realize that Human Resources is the most inhuman department in a company, the better.

In large companies, the Legal department doesnt exist solely for GCs and Immigration related matters. The cost of immigration is barely a drop in the overall cost of maintaining such a department, and hence your logic is wrong.

No, we dont need to get accustomed to being lied to, or being treated as skilled slaves.
If you side with the law and say that the companies are not obligated to process GCs, then they should not be offering the same. Also, the law as it currently stands, is unjust and I'd much sooner see the law be changed to something like "if you've worked here for 6 years, paid taxes etc, then you can apply for a GC yourself based on just that"

I guess it is in our Indian blood to expect freebies/extra perks from government, from employers (being socialist, a bit communist country and what not), and we forget it is the FREE MARKET that rules here.

lol. Firstly, there is no such thing as a "free market". Wake up already.
Secondly, the US is more socialist than India is.
Thirdly, A GC is not a freebie/extra perk. A GC is a good-faith agreement between the company, the future employee and the governing body(USCIS), and companies should understand the ethical meaning of "good faith".

If your skills are in high demand, they will make you the king. If supply is high for your skills, they will go for someone cheaper..
Yea sure, I'd like to see all the high skilled kings that have been made by companies.
It is a fallacy that skill, intellect or IQ has meaning/importance in the US.
At the end of the day, you are just another desk jockey.

eastindia
08-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Yea sure, I'd like to see all the high skilled kings that have been made by companies.
It is a fallacy that skill, intellect or IQ has meaning/importance in the US.
At the end of the day, you are just another desk jockey.

If you are just another desk jockey, your company made a big mistake sponsoring your H1. H1 visa is only given to people in high demand with special skills where company cannot find a US citizen. Greencard is sponsored by a company when company proves that no USA citizen is available to do your job despite lot of advertising for many months. It is company wanting to keep you permanent instead of just 6 years and not you demanding to be permanent. This is Employment based Green card where employer sponsors you. You do not sponsor yourself unless you are extraordinary in EB1 and world's best. Why can't people get over this and stop demanding greencard as their right. Greencard is a benefit you get for having specialized skills that are in high demand in the job you do. If you think you are unique and no American can replace you after giving ads for several months, what is stopping you from finding another company and challenging them to try advertising for few months for your position. If they find someone, you will happily quit the job and vacate for the American citizen. And if they do not find someone, then they should sponsor you for Greencard. Do you have such courage to talk to HR or CEO of your company?

paulinasmith
08-08-2010, 09:50 AM
If you are just another desk jockey, your company made a big mistake sponsoring your H1. H1 visa is only given to people in high demand with special skills where company cannot find a US citizen. Greencard is sponsored by a company when company proves that no USA citizen is available to do your job despite lot of advertising for many months. It is company wanting to keep you permanent instead of just 6 years and not you demanding to be permanent. This is Employment based Green card where employer sponsors you. You do not sponsor yourself unless you are extraordinary in EB1 and world's best. Why can't people get over this and stop demanding greencard as their right. Greencard is a benefit you get for having specialized skills that are in high demand in the job you do. If you think you are unique and no American can replace you after giving ads for several months, what is stopping you from finding another company and challenging them to try advertising for few months for your position. If they find someone, you will happily quit the job and vacate for the American citizen. And if they do not find someone, then they should sponsor you for Greencard. Do you have such courage to talk to HR or CEO of your company?

I agree that there is no direct route or path defined between H1B and green card. In my opinion one have to concentrate on making maximum money USD$.USD$ is the only thing thing country have left remaining with.There are other secure economies where you can invest maximum USD$ (from here) and get better return (better interest rates). Chasing American Dream should be now over after living in the dark harsh realities of US.Many indians are putting their savings in India...

Green_Always
08-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Really ?? My Friend works there and he says he is getting his H1 renewed and also applying for GC. He works in NY Office in Manhattan and he often travels to NC.

goel_ar
08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I work at one of these companies & they applied for my GC.

uma001
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Guys,

Just an update..I quit the company and joined small consulting firm. Got the project, labor approved, h1b approved (filed in premium) and prewailing wage determination will be started from next week.damn, i should ve done this 4 yrs back. these guys r fast. Never join as fulltime employee if you dont have green card

uma001
10-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I work at one of these companies & they applied for my GC.

1. This company only applies only after you get certain level of ranking in your year-end appraisal - disclosed during hiring process
2. You must complete x years of service.
3. Right now, economy is down & they won't apply if they feel that Labor application is going to get rejected; as it hurts their reputation & process.

I know one person in my company - whom company denied GC 'cos of Labor market but now they are starting the process of the person..(once law firm gave the green light)

So just saying - these companies don't apply - is not right.

Also, once everything is ok - you need to realize that sponsoring GC is approved by your manager as all the associated costs are allocated to his/her cost center; so company as such doesn't have issue with the cost.

Dont trust these kind of companies. if you don't get good rating in appraisal , you will be laid off .

uma001
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

f your skills are in high demand, they will make you the king. If supply is high for your skills, they will go for someone cheaper..

Green card processing costs only $12000 max..Its not a big deal for such big companies.They just dont want to do the favor.
getting green card itself takes min 10 years. so you r going to stick on to this company until that time. is that not a gaurantee. working for 10 years with same company.
you know y consulting companies file green card immediately. they do that becos the employee will stay with the company for a while.American companies do not realize this.
one of my friend came back to compny as a consultant. now they are paying two times more than what they were oaying him as full time employee. is that not an expense to the company...why they r paying him that much now , instead they should have filed his green card.

uma001
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Add Amerigroup Corporation to the list

go_guy123
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Guys,

Just an update..I quit the company and joined small consulting firm. Got the project, labor approved, h1b approved (filed in premium) and prewailing wage determination will be started from next week.damn, i should ve done this 4 yrs back. these guys r fast. Never join as fulltime employee if you dont have green card

Congratulations...did you get the client letter to satisfy the new Employer-Employee relationship requirement. Was your H1B approved for just the duration of the project.

uma001
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Congratulations...did you get the client letter to satisfy the new Employer-Employee relationship requirement. Was your H1B approved for just the duration of the project.

I gave purchase order between my employer and vendor. I prepared a letter with description of dutied and give it to lawyer, told him to attach it with the application. No RFEs approved in 15 days. I still need to receive I94 , so dont know how many years its approved.
How can I get client letter before I join in a project?.Its not extension. It is impossible to get letter from client. If you say to the client I need letter because I need it for H1 transfer, they will say 'sorry, we will look for another candidate'..

uma001
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Finally, labor filed on March 11.Unfortunately labor process stalled from March 1. Badluck still continues

makemygc
03-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Guys,

Wow...I didn't realize this thread is opened until today. I can second you on Deloitte. I joined Deloitte & Touche several years back and left the company in 3 months. HR promissed me to file my GC as soon as I join them but started giving excuses once I joined. Later on they told me that they will file after 1 year and that too dependent on my performance....I decide to part my ways with liars and joined a different company and now after several years I'm glad that I made that decision...today I'm in a much better position in a much better company. Thought mine may be the only case but looking at this thread makes me feel I was not all alone.
Not only this, they pay you different if you are an H1 holder as compared to others. I found this when I joined and found someone junior to me getting paid more than I was.

gcdreamer05
03-19-2011, 08:29 AM
This is the power of Immigration Voice. Not everyone has the knowledge of all these situations, so we need to gain knowledge from the past experience of others.

I am sure thread's like this will help a lot of people who have plans to join few Full Time Employees who promise but cannot keep it up.

Please continue to share...

gcseeker2002
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
How do you know that the labour process has slowed down from Mar 01 2011 ? Any source for this info? Please share.
Yes I would also like to know where it says that Labor process is stalled from Mar 1st,as it is impacting my current decision.

uma001
03-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Send me I'm. My prev post was deleted by mod becos they won't allow other websites to be published here

uma001
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I still dont see labor approvals after March1. I dont know where you r looking at,, Can you tell me which page your looking at?

goel_ar
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Send me I'm. My prev post was deleted by mod becos they won't allow other websites to be published here

wow -- why mods don't allow other websites to be published here?

uma001
03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I replied to your message. Pls check it.

GCVivek
03-21-2011, 03:33 PM
There is no requirement for any company to sponsor green cards for any employee. A job is granted to you based on requirement of the company. Once that requirement no longer exists, the company can (and should) lay off the employee. This applies to H1 extensions and filing of GC.
GC filing is completely based on the company needing your service. Unless you totally excel and become indispensible to the company, they do not need to keep you. This is unlike a secure Govt. job in most 3rd world countries.
The conclusion is that this list would include ALL COMPANIES IN THE WORLD (and some Govts jobs). However, the list is not of rogue companies but simply companies that are run well.

There is nothing wrong in what I have posted to invite defamation suit.We should be filing defamation suit against them for not filing green cards as promised.Whatever my friend said I posted here.

GCVivek
03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Unless you have clearly written promise that they will apply for GC, you cannot fight in court. Secondly, even if they did give you in writing, there is no time limit on when they can file.....they can effectively file labor a month before 6th year of H1 and have you out of status and therefore layed off.

McLuvin
03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
PERM Processing Times (as of 03/09/2011)

Analyst Reviews - February 2011
Audits - March 2009
Standard Appeals - June 2008
Gov't Error Appeals - Current

A small breather.... :)

BR,
McLuvin

GCVivek
03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
UMA001,

Your case may be sad and I understand your frustration but the fact that you joined the company ONLY FOR GC is itself ILLEGAL. You should have known this was coming. There is no legal standing for them to sponsor your GC without having a job for you (needing your services) AFTER you are granted GC.

This is simply the truth!

-Vivek

Mayhemt,

GCVivek
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Consultants end up being cheaper for companies. Much cheaper! No labor tax, no payroll tax, no health insurance (over $500), no any insurance, no contributions to 401K and many more expenses. Plus $12K and then what? You will leave the firm in 6 months. Plus you cannot say that ONLY they got their worth from your services. They paid you what you are worth too! Right?

Green card processing costs only $12000 max..Its not a big deal for such big companies.They just dont want to do the favor.
getting green card itself takes min 10 years. so you r going to stick on to this company until that time. is that not a gaurantee. working for 10 years with same company.
you know y consulting companies file green card immediately. they do that becos the employee will stay with the company for a while.American companies do not realize this.
one of my friend came back to compny as a consultant. now they are paying two times more than what they were oaying him as full time employee. is that not an expense to the company...why they r paying him that much now , instead they should have filed his green card.

uma001
03-21-2011, 04:30 PM
****Plus $12K and then what? You will leave the firm in 6 months.****

Working for them till I get green card itself a big thing.You know getting green card takes a decade. How can you leave in 6 months just after filing.

BTW,Are you the owner of one of these companies?

Companies,

Don't show green card fruits before hiring an employee...Just be frank. Say it if you dont do green card before hiring , not after joining.

belmontboy
03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Unless you have clearly written promise that they will apply for GC, you cannot fight in court. Secondly, even if they did give you in writing, there is no time limit on when they can file.....they can effectively file labor a month before 6th year of H1 and have you out of status and therefore layed off.

Taking advantage of employees by making insincere promises is not illegal, but is unethical.

It's good to know about these companies so that other's don't end-up with the same problem.

belmontboy
03-21-2011, 05:48 PM
There is no requirement for any company to sponsor green cards for any employee. A job is granted to you based on requirement of the company. Once that requirement no longer exists, the company can (and should) lay off the employee. This applies to H1 extensions and filing of GC.
GC filing is completely based on the company needing your service. Unless you totally excel and become indispensible to the company, they do not need to keep you. This is unlike a secure Govt. job in most 3rd world countries.
The conclusion is that this list would include ALL COMPANIES IN THE WORLD (and some Govts jobs). However, the list is not of rogue companies but simply companies that are run well.

Speaking generally, companies have no requirement to provide other benefits like health insurance, 401k, options...etc. But why do most companies offer these? - They do so to attract top talent. That's how a company distinguishes itself from its competitors.

Applying for GC has become one of the incentives.

A company offering GC incentive during hiring, but withholding it, would amount to unethical practice. And is certainly bound to lose its top talents (specifically immigrant ones)

uma001
06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
My Labor is approved 2 weeks back.

smuggymba
06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
My Labor is approved 2 weeks back.

good man.finally huh. Hang in there. I'm happy for u.

uma001
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I want to share with you about the happy news. My I-140 is approved..... Major stress releived.

go_guy123
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I want to share with you about the happy news. My I-140 is approved..... Major stress releived.

Good news !!! Congratulations
If your PD is 2000 shouldnt you be in I485 stage ?

uma001
08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
It's March 2011. This year not available on drop down list box.

permfiling
08-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Legg Meson

On the lighter side ...To get GC...go to vegas as per kites movie :-)

gk_2000
08-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Why are you being so negative and bearing down on Uma?

And if you state something, please provide a link to substantiate it, so that at least a person reading has a chance to remain objective.

Are you always like this? I hope not!