PDA

View Full Version : Ways to express dissatisfaction/agony and draw Government/Media/Public attention

suresh.emails
12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
The following are various ways to express some one’s dissatisfaction/agony and draw some one else (Government/Media/Public) attention.

1. Daily Fasting : One or more people would sit for fasting from 6 AM to 6 PM. One group would pass on the fire to next group.
2. Continuous Fasting : One or more people would sit for fasting 24 hours a day. Such people should not have health issues like Blood Pressure, Gastric Trouble, Sugar, insulin deficiency, Heart relates issues. This may cuase arrest.
3. Protesting : Conduct a rally with group/mass of people with immigration ply cards and banners.
4. Wearing Black Ribbons : People would wear/put a small black ribbon on their shirt pockets (Upper left side of the chest) and attend duties. We can draw people attentions. Such ribbon should have white color immigration slogan printed on it.
5. Distributing Flyers : Distributing Flyers/Handouts to people in respective areas.
6. Banners : Display banner/show outs in the Traffic Island Medians
7. Flower Campaign : Sending Flowers to respective people, also called Gandhi giri.
8. Silent Sitting : Sitting in front of USCIS silently (no talk).
9. Silent sitting in front of Senators house: Group of people should sit (kind of protest) in front of respective state senators. We can draw maximum MEDIA attention.
10. Sweeping Roads : A group of people would sweep roads by wearing immigration slogans jackets.
11. Organize Blood Donate Drives : Interested member would donate blood (We should explain to media, why we are doing so).
12. Rally in All Major Cities : Conduct a rally in all Major cities (where we have at least 100 members) at the same time.

We still have various other ways to express our dissatisfaction, however, they are little rude and could cause more issues.

We should choose couple of ways from above to express our dissatisfaction. Members, feel free to add and delete from above list.

P.S: We need prior permission from local authorities

Looks like we have to some thing big at this Christmas season.

flipflop
12-11-2007, 09:12 PM
The following are various ways to express some one’s dissatisfaction/agony and draw some one else (Government/Media/Public) attention.

1. Daily Fasting : One or more people would sit for fasting from 6 AM to 6 PM. One group would pass on the fire to next group.
2. Continuous Fasting : One or more people would sit for fasting 24 hours a day. Such people should not have health issues like Blood Pressure, Gastric Trouble, Sugar, insulin deficiency, Heart relates issues. This may cuase arrest.
3. Protesting : Conduct a rally with group/mass of people with immigration ply cards and banners.
4. Wearing Black Ribbons : People would wear/put a small black ribbon on their shirt pockets (Upper left side of the chest) and attend duties. We can draw people attentions. Such ribbon should have white color immigration slogan printed on it.
5. Distributing Flyers : Distributing Flyers/Handouts to people in respective areas.
7. Flower Campaign : Sending Flowers to respective people, also called Gandhi giri.
9. Silent sitting in front of Senators house: Group of people should sit (kind of protest) in front of respective state senators. We can draw maximum MEDIA attention.
10. Sweeping Roads : A group of people would sweep roads by wearing immigration slogans jackets.
11. Organize Blood Donate Drives : Interested member would donate blood (We should explain to media, why we are doing so).
12. Rally in All Major Cities : Conduct a rally in all Major cities (where we have at least 100 members) at the same time.

We still have various other ways to express our dissatisfaction, however, they are little rude and could cause more issues.

We should choose couple of ways from above to express our dissatisfaction. Members, feel free to add and delete from above list.

Out of all these how many do you think you yourself will be able to do?

suresh.emails
12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Out of all these how many do you think you yourself will be able to do?

It is not I, who decides it on what to do. It is always the opinion of majority members.

jthomas
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
If you step in i will be with you. 100%

suresh.emails
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
If you step in i will be with you. 100%

I'm ready to step in. I live in D.C Area. I knew that, I alone cannot do any thing.

flipflop
12-11-2007, 09:47 PM
It is not I, who decides it on what to do. It is always the opinion of majority members.

You didn't get me. If the majority members say lets do all of them, which ones you think you will be able to do?

suresh.emails
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
You didn't get me. If the majority members say lets do all of them, which ones you think you will be able to do?

If we happened to choose all of them, then people (whose attention we are trying to draw) would laugh at us.

We can go with one or two (we want end results), but definitely not with all of them. I mentioned the same clearly in my posting.

swamy
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM

We should do 10 & 11 irrespective of the awful VB - all look good

reddymjm
12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Can be changed to community service.. not just roads.

mugwump
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
We should do 10 & 11 irrespective of the awful VB - all look good

i am not sure if any one of you has tried donating blood in the US, i have, and have been refused a couple of time for reasons ranging from

you have been to india too recently, need 12 months of continued presence in the US

to

our records show that last year India had an outbreak of Malaria and unfortunately you mentioned that you were in India then...

swamy
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
i am not sure if any one of you has tried donating blood in the US, i have, and have been refused a couple of time for reasons ranging from

you have been to india too recently, need 12 months of continued presence in the US

to

our records show that last year India had an outbreak of Malaria and unfortunately you mentioned that you were in India then...

right you shouldnt have travelled in the past 12 mths - otherwise its fine. i've done it a couple of times

apahilaj
12-11-2007, 10:27 PM

to

I find it hard to digest why would they mind if some one has been to India recently?

Does this argument apply just for the indians or does it apply to individual of any nationality?

mugwump
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I find it hard to digest why would they mind if some one has been to India recently?

Does this argument apply just for the indians or does it apply to individual of any nationality?

THey have eradicated malaria from north america whereas we still have it in India. They dont want us immigarants or wanna be immigrants to spread diseases!!

suresh.emails
12-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Because, we (asian) still have eradicated Diseases in spread. This not is only applicable to India, for mjaority of Aisan countries too.

North America is worried about TB, Malaria and few other Diseases (which are still widely in asian countries)

dingudi
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
We need to develop really intelligent strategies considering all the factors. Just throwing out ideas and organizing rallys may not be enough (although needed).

There are a lot of intelligent people on this forum. I think we need to work on our unity, commitment and implementing of strategies.

IV is already doing lot of these but does not seem to be working fast and effective enough.

aknynd
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I think this will work...If we start sweeping ROADS in front on NYSE, NASDAQ and all major TV stations in NYC ...it wilkl definitelt draw lots n lots of media attention

aknynd
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
How About Sweeping Roads In Nyc ..on Wall Street, In Front Of Nyse And Nasdaq And Also In Ffreont Of All Tv Stations ...will Get Lots Of Media Attention ...

pansworld
12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I would support a day of fasting as a mark of protest to draw attention towards the broken immigration system.

wa_Saiprasad
12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I vote for Blood Drive. I have donated blood two times in the US no issues.

eb3_nepa
12-12-2007, 12:00 AM
WOW they wont even take immigrant blood :p. This is hilarious :)

Eternal_Hope
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I agreee with the spirit of things - that multiple ways of expressing anguish, disgust, frustration is required.

While we have to keep generating funds and doing the lobbying, the frustration of the members must be "used".

Here is my suggestion (and this was mentioned by someone earlier also) - let's send the criss-crossed and blackened photocopies of our degrees, patents, publications etc. to the congress and other authorities as a symbol of how useless these are becoming as we wait for GCs. We can coordinate the event such that everyone's reaches at around the same time.

Again, all I am saying is that we can do multiple things to gain attention and make our point, and these can happen simultaneously with the other activities ongoing at the State chapter level.

BharatPremi
12-12-2007, 12:30 AM

Welcome Sir.:)

BharatPremi
12-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Every movement should have following factors to succeed.

1) strategic, honest and commited leadership
2) strategic think tanks
3) High moral and ethical ground
4) Dedicated volunteers
5) high volume support from affected masses
6) Strong communication network
7) Constant flow of required finance, its control /management and proper
usage
8) strategic organization
9) strategic intelligence
10) Simple but valid and highly effective fighting methods.

What do you think, in which area you can be fit to make our movement stronger?

humdesi
12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Did you mean "strategic"?

BharatPremi
12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Did you mean "strategic"?

Thanks for failing me in spell test. :) Yes, please.

needhelp!
12-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Except for 8 & 9..what do they mean?

Every movement should have following factors to succeed.

1) strategic, honest and commited leadership
2) strategic think tanks
3) High moral and ethical ground
4) Dedicated volunteers
5) high volume support from affected masses
6) Strong communication network
7) Constant flow of required finance, its control /management and proper
usage
8) strategic organization
9) strategic intelligence
10) Simple but valid and highly effective fighting methods.

What do you think, in which area you can be fit to make our movement stronger?

BharatPremi
12-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Except for 8 & 9..what do they mean?

8: Very complex subject but simple definition: process of organizing in a way that is strategically effective -- i.e., promotes the broad goals of the organization.

9. Be watch dog.You have to spy your enemy/oponent ( In our case oponent is much suitable word):)

permfiling
12-12-2007, 02:43 AM
All the suggestions are good but think who gets to influence USCIS more ? It is the EMPLOYERS.

Action Items are:

1. We let our employers know the current issue
2. Notify AILA , MEDIA that we are boycotting work or taking leave for a day or a whole week. This is the same day everyone takes leave and notifies the employer that they should do something
3. Do some rally on the above day.

suresh.emails
12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Looks like we need to catch hold “Larry King”. If we can project our Green Card issue through 'Larry King', then it would easily catch US National attention.

Can some one throw ideas on this please?.

suresh.emails
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
When we conducted D.C. rally, there were roughly 1500 people attended. Each member has his/her own reason for not attending the rally.

The reasons could be, taking a day off from work or to far from their place etc..,

As a first step……..:)

Why don’t we plan for rally on the same day, same time at various major cities? This would enable members to attend in their respective cities.

We knew that, we are 25K+ members strong and can hold rallies/protests, where we have (major cities) at least 100+ members.

We must invite media and local US leader’s for rally and show our strength and request them to work towards the Green Cards.

Why don’t we plan for a rally during the this Christmas season?

singhsa3
12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Fasting is good for health too!...:D
Jokes apart, why would anyone care about one day of fasting.
I would support a day of fasting as a mark of protest to draw attention towards the broken immigration system.

singhsa3
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Wonderful idea!!!
But we may need to get some permits and Permission from the union (Sweepers Union of America or whatever it is called)
How About Sweeping Roads In Nyc ..on Wall Street, In Front Of Nyse And Nasdaq And Also In Ffreont Of All Tv Stations ...will Get Lots Of Media Attention ...

singhsa3
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I support this idea most.
I agreee with the spirit of things - that multiple ways of expressing anguish, disgust, frustration is required.

While we have to keep generating funds and doing the lobbying, the frustration of the members must be "used".

Here is my suggestion (and this was mentioned by someone earlier also) - let's send the criss-crossed and blackened photocopies of our degrees, patents, publications etc. to the congress and other authorities as a symbol of how useless these are becoming as we wait for GCs. We can coordinate the event such that everyone's reaches at around the same time.

Again, all I am saying is that we can do multiple things to gain attention and make our point, and these can happen simultaneously with the other activities ongoing at the State chapter level.

walking_dude
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
You are right. Things aren't moving fast enough because there is a general lack of participation from the otherwise intelligent EB immigrant community.

Even if 20%-30% were really proactive in supporting IV, things would have moved much faster.

We need to develop really intelligent strategies considering all the factors. Just throwing out ideas and organizing rallys may not be enough (although needed).

There are a lot of intelligent people on this forum. I think we need to work on our unity, commitment and implementing of strategies.

IV is already doing lot of these but does not seem to be working fast and effective enough.

sathyaraj
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
This is my first contribution to IV - 100$

Google Order #517835584999381

walking_dude
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I did create a poll to make a guesstimate of how many are ready to march in Detroit (when the weather was much better !).

Guess what only 14 members showed interest ! 14 members strolling down Detroit riverfront in freezing sub-zero temperatures - do you call it a rally?

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15456

When we conducted D.C. rally, there were roughly 1500 people attended. Each member has his/her own reason for not attending the rally.

The reasons could be, taking a day off from work or to far from their place etc..,

As a first step……..:)

Why don’t we plan for rally on the same day, same time at various major cities? This would enable members to attend in their respective cities.

We knew that, we are 25K+ members strong and can hold rallies/protests, where we have (major cities) at least 100+ members.

We must invite media and local US leader’s for rally and show our strength and request them to work towards the Green Cards.

Why don’t we plan for a rally during the this Christmas season?

gcseeker2002
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM

I am sure most of us here (especially from India) were pampered and did not even clean their own study desks or rooms of their house when they were young, now they are ready to sweep the roads of a foreign country to get the foreign government attention to get their gc :)
Humans, listen, life is not 1000 years, it is very short, dont waste the best part of your life waiting for gc.

walking_dude
12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Larry King will cover us if his CNN buddy Lou Dobbs lets him !

I have watched it a couple of time, though not a regular. No chance of getting there unless you are celeb fresh out of rehab and/or facing midlife crisis, divorce etc., or a US political bigwig.

We are none of the above.

Looks like we need to catch hold “Larry King”. If we can project our Green Card issue through 'Larry King', then it would easily catch US National attention.

Can some one throw ideas on this please?.

walking_dude
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you. Ideas are allright and enriching. IV also needs more contributions

This is my first contribution to IV - 100$

Google Order #517835584999381

conchshell
12-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I gave this idea last time when we were sending flowers to USCIS. Remeber the time when Gandhi decided to burn the official immigration document publically when he was in South Africa. I am not saying that we should burn our original I-797 etc, but lets symbolically burn the photo copies of our legal documents in form of a demonstration in front of media. This way we would be able to get media attention, and bring awareness as to how legal immigrants are treated in this country by the govt department responsible for immigration.

It would be better if this types of demonstration tale place in front of local USCIS offices.

walking_dude
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I always cleaned my room, in India and here. What's wrong with that? Infosys founder Narayan Murthy cleans his own toilet (as per his own admission to a newspaper). Does it make him an 'inferior' person to you? Don't you vacuum your room every weekend? Does that make you any lesser person? Ever heard of dignity of labor?

You wrote - "Humans, listen, life is not 1000 years, it is very short, dont waste the best part of your life waiting for gc". So what are you doing ? Not waiting for GC? Then why are you hanging around? There are good opportunities back home . Those sitting in deep-sh*t shouldn't be throwing muck at others stuck in the same sh*t.

I am sure most of us here (especially from India) were pampered and did not even clean their own study desks or rooms of their house when they were young, now they are ready to sweep the roads of a foreign country to get the foreign government attention to get their gc :)
Humans, listen, life is not 1000 years, it is very short, dont waste the best part of your life waiting for gc.

permfiling
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Sweeping roads ....I am not too enthusiastic about that :-(

i_want_gc
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
I agree. I personally wud never do that. i.e Why the hell should we clean the streets of an alien bcos thier system is broken? Thats my personal opion. Didnt mean tio hurt anybody.
Like somebody pointed out, the move shud come from employers. Again taking leave etc for a day(bandh) is the not the way. The govt shud be genuinely convinced of the cost/benefits of ramping up or increasing visa numbers inorder to make any move. We should do stuff in that direction as opposed to expressing frustration.

i_want_gc
12-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Sorry - Not everybody is(or wants to be like) Narayan Moorthy.
I bet Narayan Moorthy doesnt have time(if not willingness) to clean his toilet NOW. Maybe we wud have when he was younger(before Infosys) which is a different stroy altogether.

I always cleaned my room, in India and here. What's wrong with that? Infosys founder Narayan Murthy cleans his own toilet (as per his own admission to a newspaper). Does it make him an 'inferior' person to you? Don't you vacuum your room every weekend? Does that make you any lesser person? Ever heard of dignity of labor?

You wrote - "Humans, listen, life is not 1000 years, it is very short, dont waste the best part of your life waiting for gc". So what are you doing ? Not waiting for GC? Then why are you hanging around? There are good opportunities back home . Those sitting in deep-sh*t shouldn't be throwing muck at others stuck in the same sh*t.

kumar1
12-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeh
Sorry - Not everybody is(or wants to be like) Narayan Moorthy.
I bet Narayan Moorthy doesnt have time(if not willingness) to clean his toilet NOW. Maybe we wud have when he was younger(before Infosys) which is a different stroy altogether.

wizpal
12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
This was discussed earlier. Jaime proposed it and lot were interested in doing in it..may be this is the right time for us revisit it.

It works this way.. Each of us need to send their local senators a stopper and a personalized memo saying 'tax paying legal immigrant since year <ur year of entry>..no green card because of country cap limit and visa number wastage each year by USCIS..We would want congress to pass a legislature to recapture the unused visa numbers. We are NOT asking for H1 increase.. The reverse migration is already in progress and might become severe without any congressional inaction.'

This could work because we have atleast 2000 active members and there are around 100 senators. If each of members could send a stopper(cost around 10 dollars each) to two senators, each of the senators would receive forty to fifty stoppers. It will atleast gain us the much needed Media publicity.

The problem with us is most of the members don't want to show up in public. I hate it but to make thousands to walk on streets it takes a lot of money and effort and at the end not many people would show up.

I know I am ignoring the house representatives completely..but we make enough noise with senators it might just serve the purpose. Moreover, I think te house is not that against legal immigration.

Any thoughts..

whitecollarslave
04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
^^^^

With a few bills introduced or in the works, isn't it the time now to act and bring about awareness to our problems? I know IV has been working through state chapters. We can supplement those efforts with other means such as those suggested in this thread. We need to create an uproar about the hopeless situation and endless wait times due to retrogression, backlogs, and bureaucracy. I am not suggesting anything drastic. Just some peaceful ways that won't offend anybody to draw attention to the forgotten issues of EB immigrants.

conchshell
04-23-2008, 05:50 PM
^^^^

With a few bills introduced or in the works, isn't it the time now to act and bring about awareness to our problems? I know IV has been working through state chapters. We can supplement those efforts with other means such as those suggested in this thread. We need to create an uproar about the hopeless situation and endless wait times due to retrogression, backlogs, and bureaucracy. I am not suggesting anything drastic. Just some peaceful ways that won't offend anybody to draw attention to the forgotten issues of EB immigrants.

I completely agree with you. However our problem is 'how do we organize a massive protest". IV is a loose affiliation of people affected by the immigration problems. They all realize the importance of fighting, however majority of them are unwilling to contribute personal time/money/energy for this cause. Flower campaign was first time in recent history, when legal immigrants showed some unity to express their anger and frustation.

It was predicted that once 485 is filed, people have EAD, and spouse working ... affected people will loose the apetite to carry on the fight. And that's what precisely took place. The biggest chellange is to let the affected people realize that if they do not come out and fight, no one will take care of their interest. It seems everyone is waiting for others to go out and fight, so that they can reap the benefits without any struggle. Now tell me my friend "how do we organize a massive protest??"

chanduv23
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
I completely agree with you. However our problem is 'how do we organize a massive protest". IV is a loose affiliation of people affected by the immigration problems. They all realize the importance of fighting, however majority of them are unwilling to contribute personal time/money/energy for this cause. Flower campaign was first time in recent history, when legal immigrants showed some unity to express their anger and frustation.

It was predicted that once 485 is filed, people have EAD, and spouse working ... affected people will loose the apetite to carry on the fight. And that's what precisely took place. The biggest chellange is to let the affected people realize that if they do not come out and fight, no one will take care of their interest. It seems everyone is waiting for others to go out and fight, so that they can reap the benefits without any struggle. Now tell me my friend "how do we organize a massive protest??"

excellent analysis. After the flower campaign, and during the rally, IV formed state chapters and state chapters have been designed in such a way that efforts can be organized in an effective manner.
There is always some activity or the other going on in the state chapters, in fact in our chapter we organized some law maker meetings in DC this week and some members attended the meetings.
Lobbying is a very effective tool and the more the numbers and support, the more effective lobbying works out.

I would strongly recommend that the members join their respective state chapters and organize grassroots efforts.

Unless we help ourselves, no one is going to help us.

here4gc
04-25-2008, 03:16 AM
I liked permfilings idea about a mass day off from work...and a small meetup in each town..however this has to be publicised that its going to happen...I guess this should be the first symbolic thing..the next thing..i really loved the sweeping streets idea...we shud do this in front of capitol hill...much better if we all wear suits and carry brooms to brush the dirt off..and have posters that say..PLEASE BRUSH THE DUST OFF - OF MY GREENCARD APPLICATION AND PROCESS IT....

I would love to take part...also..i have a small thread running here that tries to bring USCIS in the red about what they are doing with I140 processing..they should be attacked from more than 1 end...would be greatful if you guys support that petition..i have the draft posted in the thread also...the name of the thread is : Let's Do something about the I140 dates moving back!!

kalyan
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I am open to all these except Sweeping Roads . If we do that then lou and other anti people will project us as Mexicans

soni7007
04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Only if the employers knew how much productive time we are spending surfing immigration websites using their resources !!!

All the suggestions are good but think who gets to influence USCIS more ? It is the EMPLOYERS.

Action Items are:

1. We let our employers know the current issue

Nil
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Blood donation and organized rallies together seem to be the best way for getting attention.

485Mbe4001
04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Please dont make it a racial issue, they have a bunch of rules about who can give blood, it doesnt matter if you are asian or 'American'
for a full list please visit

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

travel related
"Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration
Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country or countries where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD). Learn more about vCJD and donation. Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group O. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

"

Because, we (asian) still have eradicated Diseases in spread. This not is only applicable to India, for mjaority of Aisan countries too.

North America is worried about TB, Malaria and few other Diseases (which are still widely in asian countries)