PDA

View Full Version : No chance of an immigration bill inacted before November election

iwantgc
09-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I've been a silent avid reader of this website and I'm also among those EB3 retro victims. I'm starting a thread about what I read from shusterman website " there's no chance getting an immigration bill inacted before November election" and see what's everyone's opinion on this.

iwantgc

cessua
09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Were you really expecting that any bills were going to pass? In the politics world it is all about compromise, no one will vote for anything tht can risk their image before the election. Let's put it this way... you are a law maker... what to would you care about? immigrants or yourself?

iwantgc
09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
I was hoping something out of IV's effort that SKILL bill be passed before end this year but it appears this organization's voices are not even heard nor included in the picture.

marlon2006
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
It is true that many politicians would not risk their bacon weeks away from the election. Don't count that necessarily after the elections the situation will necessarily change. Sen. Frist himself argued that he is OK passing the enforcement only bill within the next couple of weeks and he has said that he expects to leave the immigration thing for the NEXT CONGRESS to decide. Now the key question remains; will enough pro amnesty or even pro immigration lawmakers remain in their job after elections in November ? It remains to be seen. I would love to be optmistic, but if enough incumbents get kicked out of the office, then our chances are not necessarily better next year.

Sorry folks, but that's the truth.

dixie
09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Getting our voices heard and getting relief measures passed are not the same thing. Awareness is the first step; legislation (a loooong process BTW) is a possibility only after that. The lawmkers and media were not even aware of our problems thus far .. they went by the maxim (immigration = illegal aliens) and (legal immigration = H1B visa increase).You must recognize that it takes time to rid them of that mentality.

For all their herculean efforts, we are by no means all-powerful.The core team does the best it can under the circumstances. Witness the managers amendments in CIR .. the bill failed for reasons beyond our control, but isnt that evidence enough of what we can achieve ?

Also remember this is election time .. politicians will obviously worry first and foremost about their re-election. Going by your yardstick, the much much mightier tech,healthcare and agribusiness industry lobbies have all failed to get any relief measures passed for themselves.

Getting favorable legislation enacted is a prolonged process where a lot of patience is called for. We are all in a hole, and IV is our only bet to get out of it. Please have faith and continue contributing to our cause.

I was hoping something out of IV's effort that SKILL bill be passed before end this year but it appears this organization's voices are not even heard nor included in the picture.

hmehta
09-11-2006, 11:43 PM
If the incumbents really care about being re-elected, they really need to do something over the next 30-40 days. All major news channels are already touting the current congress as a "do-nothing congress". And probably not only their re-election is at stake, if we look at a bigger picture, for some of them even their political career might be stalled!

Ofcourse, there is no gurantee that some kind of immigration bill will pass, but we should not lose hope at this point.

gc_mania_03
09-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Folks,

We need to understand that we have chosen a tough but worthy effort in the form of this forum. As such it may be depressing to see the slow movement in DC.

We should not be setting ourselves some timelines like the ones stated in this email thread, and then feel depressed about seeing no positive results within that timeline...there are too many factors outside our control to do anything like that...

I think we are better off than we where we were last year, when the awareness was nil, and that backlog legislation only favored the RNs and the PTs, while we saw ourselves powerless...

Lets help the core team..and not get depressed over short timelines...I see light at the end of our efforts...may not be phenomenal..but I am sure it will make a difference...for each of us...

gc_mania_03

eb3retro
09-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Folks,

We need to understand that we have chosen a tough but worthy effort in the form of this forum. As such it may be depressing to see the slow movement in DC.

We should not be setting ourselves some timelines like the ones stated in this email thread, and then feel depressed about seeing no positive results within that timeline...there are too many factors outside our control to do anything like that...

I think we are better off than we where we were last year, when the awareness was nil, and that backlog legislation only favored the RNs and the PTs, while we saw ourselves powerless...

Lets help the core team..and not get depressed over short timelines...I see light at the end of our efforts...may not be phenomenal..but I am sure it will make a difference...for each of us...

gc_mania_03

well said gcmania, I like your attitude.