PDA

View Full Version : AP Renewed for 9 months only, why?

sreeraghu
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Recently I renewed my Advance Parole (AP), USCIS renewed it for 9 months only. Is it possible to check with USCIS to get a 1 year AP.

Thanks!

acecupid
07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Recently I renewed my Advance Parole (AP), USCIS renewed it for 9 months only. Is it possible to check with USCIS to get a 1 year AP.

Thanks!

You must have applied 120 days in advance or many days in advance before old AP expiry. USCIS issues AP from the date it was approved so you tend to lose some months. I have heard some other members include a cover letter which says AP start date should be from date of expiry of old AP. Since you already got the document, I doubt you can do much about it. You may lose 2-3 months just trying send it back and requesting it to be corrected. I guess next time when you renew keep the cover letter in mind.

gapala
07-16-2009, 02:11 PM
You must have applied 120 days in advance or many days in advance before old AP expiry. USCIS issues AP from the date it was approved so you tend to lose some months. I have heard some other members include a cover letter which says AP start date should be from date of expiry of old AP. Since you already got the document, I doubt you can do much about it. You may lose 2-3 months just trying send it back and requesting it to be corrected. I guess next time when you renew keep the cover letter in mind.

Not necessarly true. Last time when I renewed the AP, it was approved from 2 days prior to intended travel date specified in the application for 1 year. I am not sure what can be done about this 9 months thing.. hopefully other members will pitch in with experience.

fixxer
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
It looks to me like they made a mistake on the valid dates for the new EAD. That happened to me last year, I received my new EAD card and it was only good for 1.5 months.
I had to mail them the card and after a couple of calls and some headaches they sent me a new EAD card, this time valid for 2 years.

Good luck!