PDA

View Full Version : 61000 Recaptured visas this quarter?

MrsC
01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I heard from another website there will be a Bill to recapture 61000 unused visas for nurses and physical therapists during this first quarter of 2008.

I do not know if this is just rumor or if there is any truth to it.

Does anyone know any info?

Thank you.

EndlessWait
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I heard from another website there will be a Bill to recapture 61000 unused visas for nurses and physical therapists during this first quarter of 2008.

Thank you.

:p

garybanz
01-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Thank you.

I thought this was going to be part of the immigartion reform in the Omnibus bill...which never made it. I don't know if this provision still made it in some other bill.

MrsC
01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
great! looks like they don't need IT/MBA's/Docs:p

Sorry you feel this way :(
I guess it's hard for everyone

YesGC_NoGC
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Could you please post the link here?

Thank you.

MrsC
01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Could you please post the link here?

Sure. It's post #2 on this thread from allnurses website

http://allnurses.com/forums/f75/february-visa-bulletin-273003.html

gc_chahiye
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Thank you.

HLG is typically pushing for these sorts of things, and their blog (post on 18th december) does talk about being able to do some recapture in Q1 08:

http://hammondlawgroup.blogspot.com/
Recapture of 61,000 visas. This is the legislation that was passed by the Senate in October 2007. We have personally met with many of the main players in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Pelosi, who is the Speaker of the House, and Rep. Lofgren, who chairs the Immigration subcommittee. These offices have told us that they believe that there is a real chance for our legislation to be enacted in the first quarter of 2008.

lazycis
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought this was going to be part of the immigartion reform in the Omnibus bill...which never made it. I don't know if this provision still made it in some other bill.

Right on, gary. The provision is dead.

pitha
01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
You have to take whatever the hammondlawgroup says about recapture with a grain of salt. But if infact the 61000 recapture goes through exclusively for nurses leaving the rest of us out, then we are going into a deeper hole. The only hope (or rather mirage) we have currently is visa recapture but if the nurses siphon away even the recaptured visas the all of us and especially people from India might as well forget about getting GC in the next couple of years.

HLG is typically pushing for these sorts of things, and their blog (post on 18th december) does talk about being able to do some recapture in Q1 08:

http://hammondlawgroup.blogspot.com/
Recapture of 61,000 visas. This is the legislation that was passed by the Senate in October 2007. We have personally met with many of the main players in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Pelosi, who is the Speaker of the House, and Rep. Lofgren, who chairs the Immigration subcommittee. These offices have told us that they believe that there is a real chance for our legislation to be enacted in the first quarter of 2008.