PDA

View Full Version : How about some benefits to H1

gc_rip
09-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I am already into 7th year of H1, and due to layoffs, and all today I have LC pending with PD in 2005. This situation is really frustrating for me, and here are my 2c.

Looking at all the discussion, and EB3 retrogression, I guess I may have to wait another decade to file 485, and 5 years after that to get GC.

I don't think I care for the card from USA govt in my wallet. I just need some justice, and ease of life. And as long as I keep paying taxes to the govt, this should be win-win situation.

How about extending some benefits for the H1 visa holders:
1. Let the spouse, on H4 also work. Spouse should be able to take any job, or start business. This would help a big way for me atleast.
2. H1 should be renewed for 5 years, and tied to individual, instead of company. Due to economic changes, if an individual is out of job for some time, he can start his own business, or change career.
AS LONG AS family of H1 is filing tax returns with combined income of $75000 per annum, should be able to renew the H1 visa. (Anyway, if I make less than that per year in USA, does not make sense to continue staying here).

If I know I will have to wait for a decade to get EAD, and spouse to work, I guess I am better of moving back to home country, where there is freedom to do whatever I want to, and also RATHER PAY TAXES TO THE NATION THAT CARES FOR ME.

dixie
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
If the govt does indeed give all these benefits to H1-B folks, there will be no difference at all between an H1-B and a GC holder (except the possibility of applying for citizenship). Also, the industry lobby is the real driver of this system and they will NEVER allow either the H1 or the GC to be de-coupled from their control. I can very much appreciate your perspective and the frustration that you are going through, but remember that the industry lobby has tenaciously resisted ANY reform to H1-B regulations for close to two decades, excepting those that benefit them (like increasing quotas). This is EXACTLY the way industry would like things to be. It is unrealistic to hope for any reform to this indentured labor visa.

We are all hoping some some EB relief bill passes anytime soon, else EB-3 India is indeed looking at close to a decade to file EAD. Its best not to count on a GC and have back-up plans in place, whether that is working towards spouse getting his/her own H1 or career options in home country.

Hi,

I am already into 7th year of H1, and due to layoffs, and all today I have LC pending with PD in 2005. This situation is really frustrating for me, and here are my 2c.

Looking at all the discussion, and EB3 retrogression, I guess I may have to wait another decade to file 485, and 5 years after that to get GC.

I don't think I care for the card from USA govt in my wallet. I just need some justice, and ease of life. And as long as I keep paying taxes to the govt, this should be win-win situation.

How about extending some benefits for the H1 visa holders:
1. Let the spouse, on H4 also work. Spouse should be able to take any job, or start business. This would help a big way for me atleast.
2. H1 should be renewed for 5 years, and tied to individual, instead of company. Due to economic changes, if an individual is out of job for some time, he can start his own business, or change career.
AS LONG AS family of H1 is filing tax returns with combined income of $75000 per annum, should be able to renew the H1 visa. (Anyway, if I make less than that per year in USA, does not make sense to continue staying here).

If I know I will have to wait for a decade to get EAD, and spouse to work, I guess I am better of moving back to home country, where there is freedom to do whatever I want to, and also RATHER PAY TAXES TO THE NATION THAT CARES FOR ME.

gc_rip
09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your response. But spouse really can't get H1 in the 7th year or H4. That is definitely frustratng. And I guess this was already discussed in different thread.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.