PDA

View Full Version : The EB Queue

dan19
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
It was the long queues in my home countries which brought me here. Every where I went, I was in a queue. It started from the morning and ended only at night. A queue for the bus, a queue for paying bills, a queue at the government office. And finally a long queue at the US consulate.

Soon after I got a student visa to US, I thought my queue days are over. I came to a new country with lots and lots of dreams and aspirations. A good job, a decent pay, vacation and above all the flexiblity to move around. To me that was freedom - A world without shackles and restrictions, A world without queues, Freedom to be what I am and to choose what is best for me.

Today after being here for many years, I still find myself in this never-ending queue. I am in a long long EB queue. Unlike the queues at home, I am in this queue at the mercy of my boss. He may let me continue or substitute me with someone he likes. Only time will tell whether I was wise to withstand all difficulties and continue to stay in this queue.

purgan
09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
well said Dan19

Many of us have been waiting for over 5 years for the damn green card and still no end in sight.

No wonder there's a lot of pent up anger and frustration. :mad:

Want to know how I feel like- I'm standing in a line for over five years through rain, storm hail and wind (i mean layoffs, company shutdowns, M&A, bad economy, etc), and still haven't come to the counter. The wait is endless....imagine how many Americans would tolerate a 5 year+ wait!!

mrajatish
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
They wouldn't and if you are so pissed off, ask yourself why are you waiting - instead of complaining abt a horribly messed up situation, do something about it.

dan19
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
We all start this GC process anticipating that it will be done in 2-3 years. But today it has become unpredictable. I am happy if I definetely knew how many years, evenif it is 5 years.

Take the case of Canadian Immigration. It takes 1.5-2 years if you apply from US. If we knew about a definite timeframe like that, then nobody would have complained!!

They wouldn't and if you are so pissed off, ask yourself why are you waiting - instead of complaining abt a horribly messed up situation, do something about it.

EndlessWait
09-13-2006, 06:02 PM
"Legals first and faster" should be the motto"

If we all H1B workers could show our strength by taking a day off on a business day together That is :

- No bug fixes/ No coding
- No testing
- No production support
- etc etc. :D
and all others from different professions Not do there stuff

I'm sure it can give a wake up call to someone ???

my 2 cents

gsc999
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
"Legals first and faster" should be the motto"

If we all H1B workers could show our strength by taking a day off on a business day together That is :

- No bug fixes/ No coding
- No testing
- No production support
- etc etc. :D
and all others from different professions Not do there stuff

I'm sure it can give a wake up call to someone ???

my 2 cents
----
These issues have been discussed before and it seems people are just venting again.

Look what rallies for illegals did. CIR is dead. -ve protest is never a good thing. But again, it is hard to reason with the broken US immigration system
There are options, if you don't want to wait. Canada, Australia, India etc.

EndlessWait
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
and we are pretty weak in that respect.

bkarnik
09-14-2006, 06:03 PM
and we are pretty weak in that respect.

We are weak, but not tired. IV will not stop trying to get relief from Congress unless its members (not the core members, but general members) decide that there is no point in supporting IV.

IV needs more members, more exposure and contributions from existing and new members to keep the effort going and alive. Immigration Voice can only function if it has a membership base that supports it in both spirit and monetarily.

Remember even the mighty oak was once a small seedling!!!

eb3India
09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
When you are in queue, either follow the queue, or lead the queue, or get out and do something else,

you can't stand in the queue and complain,

guys at IV did not complain instead they are atleast trying something

do you guys realize what we against, do you guys realize how strong anti-immgration is?

com'n guys we are all "Highly Skilled / Educated", can't we think of someting better than cribbing,

call senators / congressmen, join IV core team, at leas try something

wildvoice
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
To everybody from India, China, Mexico and Philippines:

We should spread out / disseminate this info to folks in our country and to our countries' media:

1. That US doesn't want foreigners to work and to migrate here.

2. That US does not welcome foreigners!!!

3. That your immigration application will be screwed up once you will be here and that you have to wait for 6-12 yrs. for your GC application. In the process, your spouse will not be able to work causing you both severe agony and depression, you will be stuck in 1 job, and your career will be stagnant.

We should continue on spreading this message to our friends, co-workers, people in our country, to media people. To generate strong noise as a wake-up call for the US Senate, Congress and USCIS. Let us spread this bad publicity ... which is true by the way!!

I am sure this will reach up to whoever it may reach to. Let us see how they will react to a very bad publicity.

This would also inform people back in our country about the mess in US immigration system.

:mad: :( :rolleyes:

dixie
09-14-2006, 11:04 PM
The effect is already being felt in a way, with more people considering other countries. However, the flow of future GC aspirants from the retrogressed countries is not drying up anytime soon.The trouble is folks from these countries are just used to waiting in "queues" of all sorts and the US govt knows we will continue doing that even if GC takes 15 years to get.

Besides, it is just human nature to think about only the problem at hand. When the aspiring immigrant is a student in his home country, his top worry is how to secure admission into a US university and get here .. job and permanent immigration are possibilities but not priorities. During grad school, the goal is to secure a high paying job and get hold of one of those precious H1-B visas. Once that bridge is crossed, GC is next .. and the cycle continues.

From a prospective immigrant's perspective, he generally has little to loose and everything to gain by coming here even if he is told there is NO prospect of ever getting a GC (of course there are exceptions). Once he is here, he starts pining for GC and feels deceived at the long wait.... that is how this system is so badly screwed up and has managed to remain that way for several years.

We should spread out / disseminate this info to folks in our country and to our countries' media:

3. That your immigration application will be screwed up once you will be here and that you have to wait for 6-12 yrs. for your GC application. In the process, your spouse will not be able to work causing you both severe agony and depression, you will be stuck in 1 job, and your career will be stagnant.

We should continue on spreading this message to our friends, co-workers, people in our country, to media people. To generate strong noise as a wake-up call for the US Senate, Congress and USCIS. Let us spread this bad publicity ... which is true by the way!!

I am sure this will reach up to whoever it may reach to. Let us see how they will react to a very bad publicity.

This would also inform people back in our country about the mess in US immigration system.

iwantgc
09-14-2006, 11:27 PM
This is exactly the kind of context we should get in front of the media so we could get the US government attention!

BostonGCVictim
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I've started a blog. Been spamming it to my friends back home constantly, reminding them of the reality. You can start with this.

http://skilledimmigrants.blogspot.com/

rbharol
09-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I've started a blog. Been spamming it to my friends back home constantly, reminding them of the reality. You can start with this.

http://skilledimmigrants.blogspot.com/

This is a good efffort.

rheoretro
09-18-2006, 01:48 PM
We all start this GC process anticipating that it will be done in 2-3 years. But today it has become unpredictable. I am happy if I definetely knew how many years, evenif it is 5 years.

Take the case of Canadian Immigration. It takes 1.5-2 years if you apply from US. If we knew about a definite timeframe like that, then nobody would have complained!!

If you want to find out how long it'll take, consider filing a FOIA request.

As for Canada, you have to make that call - whether you want to stand in line and wait here, or go to your home country or emigrate somewhere else, such as Canada.

Hope it works out for you. It's good to vent - these forums are excellent for venting. If you'd like to help out IV as a volunteer, drop me a line!

dan19
09-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Please provide some more information about volunteering.
There will be so many people ready for volunterring if they know what has to be done.

If you want to find out how long it'll take, consider filing a FOIA request.

As for Canada, you have to make that call - whether you want to stand in line and wait here, or go to your home country or emigrate somewhere else, such as Canada.

Hope it works out for you. It's good to vent - these forums are excellent for venting. If you'd like to help out IV as a volunteer, drop me a line!

rheoretro
09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Please provide some more information about volunteering.
There will be so many people ready for volunterring if they know what has to be done.

Dan19 - Thanks for your prompt and appropriate query. There are two priorities that we need help with from our members: first is we need to increase our numbers. When we go talk to people on Capitol Hill, a question that we often hear is how many members we have. We currently have about 6,000 members, but we have to break the 5 figure mark soon. We need at least 10,000 members. The reason why people ask about numbers is simple - they need to know how many votes their support will translate into. For us to tell them that half a million people are stuck in the legal immigration pipeline isn't enough. We need to swell in numbers, desperately. Just as a point of reference - AAPI has 40,000 members, and well, they are doctors, and hence quite wealthy. Guess what? They have a lot of clout on the Hill. I'm not saying that we're about to become as powerful as AAPI, but the point is simple: numbers and money, and that's actually in the reverse order.

Another thing that we need desperately is for more members to pay into IV's coffers. Some say "I'll pay when the work is done." Well that doesn't really help IV. QGA needs to be paid every month, and we can't give them IOU's.

Some simple tips for volunteering for IV:

1) Help recruit new members - if each existing member gets one new member, we'll reach 12,000 easily. If each existing member gets two new members, we'll hit 18,000. Now that's a number that will get people on Capitol Hill to sit up and pay even more attention to us.

2) We need more members to contribute $$$. Please contribute whatever you are comfortable with - $20, $50, $100, $200 or whatever.

3) Talk to your friends and colleagues who are US citizens and tell them about all the weakness of the legal immigration system - the baklogs, the retrogression etc. Please help make them aware, and encourage them to write their congressmen and senators about it. I undestand that this is hard, as it doesn't directly affect them, and that the people who are most likely to do this are big corporations. But we need to get the word out.

Thank you!

Best,

RR