PDA

View Full Version : Secure Fence Act Introduced in House !

GCard_Dream
09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Here is the long awaited border security bill. Nothing for us here. At least not now anyway.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091306immig,0,5490278.story?coll=la-home-headlines

House Republicans Unveil Secure Fence Act
By Nicole Gaouette, Times Staff Writer
2:20 PM PDT, September 13, 2006

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans launched a bid to stiffen border security today, announcing that they will vote tomorrow on a bill to build 700 miles of fencing in highly populated areas along the U.S. border with Mexico.

The newly unveiled bill, called the Secure Fence Act, would require the Department of Homeland Security to gain "operational control" of the entire border through cameras, ground sensors and unmanned aerial drones. It would also give Border Patrol agents all necessary authority to "disable" fleeing vehicles.

ADVERTISEMENTAlmost all of these provisions were included in the wide-ranging immigration enforcement bill the House passed last year. But the repackaged Secure Fence Act comes after weeks of congressional deadlock over how best to overhaul the nation's immigration laws. House leaders promised that the bill is only the first of several border security initiatives that they will introduce in the weeks leading up to the November elections.

"Over the next three weeks, House Republicans will work with our colleagues in the Senate to authorize and fund key border security priorities and send them to President Bush for his signature," said House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) in a statement. "Tomorrow's vote represents the first step in that process."

The House passed a wide-ranging bill last year that covered enforcement at the border, the workplace and inside the country that made illegal presence a felony and toughened laws applying to legal immigrants. That bill triggered massive street marches this year.

By introducing a stand-alone fence bill, House Republicans are not just trying to curtail protests and woo voters. They are also trying to build momentum behind their enforcement-first approach to overhauling the immigration system, an approach rejected by the Senate and Bush.

House lawmakers spent the summer holding immigration field hearings across the country to tout their enforcement-first model. The hearings did not include public participation and the witness lists leaned heavily toward experts who reflect the enforcement-only view. On Tuesday, House leaders held an unusual hearing in which Republican chairmen recommended ideas for legislation based on what they said they had learned from the hearings. The new fence bill is the first fruit of that effort.

It would require at least two layers of reinforced fencing, along with vehicle barriers, roads, lighting, cameras and sensors, around Tecate, Calif. and Calexico, Calif. and around towns in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. Surveillance cameras in those areas would have to be in place by May 30, 2007, while fence construction would have to be completed a year later.

The bill also calls for a study on construction of a state-of-the-art barrier system along the northern border with Canada. These appear in the border security bill passed by the House last year. The one new section would give Customs and Border Patrol agents working on the ground and in the air division greater authority to stop smugglers' cars entering the U.S. illegally or fleeing from authorities.

Now, the most agents can do is lay down spike strips to puncture the tires of fleeing vehicles. The new House bill would require Customs and Border Protection to consider other technologies, including rubber bullets, to stop smugglers who are fleeing the authorities or posing a threat to the community, a Republican aide said.

The House border security initiative presents a challenge for senators who back the bill their chamber passed in May. That legislation would allow illegal immigrants to gain legal status, create a guest worker program and would include enforcement measures similar to those in a bill the House passed last year.

If the House bill passes Thursday, the bipartisan coalition of lawmakers who backed the Senate legislation would have to decide whether to vote for it. They risk losing any leverage they have to push the House to approve measures such as a guest worker program. If they vote against the House bill, they also face being tarred as weak on security.

Senate Democrats responded swiftly to the House announcement.

"We believe in comprehensive immigration reform. That's what this country needs," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.). "We believe there should be a program to bring 12 million people out of the shadows.

"It's so transparent," Reid said, adding that he hoped Latino voters would see through the Republican gambit and help Democrats on election day. "Doesn't the president have enough swagger to tell" House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) "not to do this?"

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who met with Reid today, said he was disappointed in the House proposal. "I think a bill that only addresses security and does in the punitive way that the House does is absolutely unacceptable. ... It's un-American."

sbabunle
09-13-2006, 07:28 PM
It all sound very ridiculous to me. First they passed a bill with boarder security, employer sanction and all that junk. Now they are planning to pass one provision by another. Why dont both houses compromise only the
needed things then?

Its all fooling people and wasting away taxpayers money. Are the citizens of this country seeing this?

It seems like whatever they do, they are NOT going address our issue.

Good luck to all

GCard_Dream
09-13-2006, 07:43 PM
You are right. In fact most of the provisions in this bill are exactly the same as in the Immigration Bill passed by house last year which couldn't be compromised with the CIR. They have left out more controversial clauses like making illegals felons. This is nothing but a election time public relations campaign but my guess is that this bill will pass both house and senate. I don't think either party wants to look weak on security by voting against it and that's precisely the reason we should try to include our provisions in this bill, if we can. This bill has a very high probability of passing in both houses of congress.

I am sure IV team is working on it but we haven't seen any response from them yet. Let's hope for the best.

It all sound very ridiculous to me. First they passed a bill with boarder security, employer sanction and all that junk. Now they are planning to pass one provision by another. Why dont both houses compromise only the
needed things then?

Its all fooling people and wasting away taxpayers money. Are the citizens of this country seeing this?

It seems like whatever they do, they are NOT going address our issue.

Good luck to all

alterego
09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
This is all election politics. This will definitely be passed in the house and sent to the Senate where it will be blocked by Democrats and moderate republicans. Anyone interested in anything else other than pure enforcement can't support this thing. It is shameless politicing and should be exposed for what it is doing, dividing this country. Republicans will doubtless pay a price for this in years to come. I agree with republicans on most things but unfortunately, the resistance they are placing on anything legal makes me think they are completely anti immigrant..............almost that they have been taken over by NumbersUSA and Sen. Sessions. Too bad really, since their ideas are more progressive generally.

Canadian_Dream
09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I disagree. This Bill will swing through in House because with elections looming no one wants to look weak on border security including democrats. As far as Senate goes, all Republicans will support it becasue after all GOP control of house depends on it. This bill has the best chance to get through than any other immigration bills debated by this congress. I agree this is pure politics, but a there is a lot at stake here for Republicans and they will do everything to look good on border security (or security in general).

Check this out:
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1274286.php

Democrats are unlikely to oppose many of the measures the GOP will bring up although they continue to push for a more comprehensive approach.

eb3India
09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I am not sure how democrats can vote against this bill, afterall this is a post 9/11 world

so I see more chances of passing this bill,

my question we can sneak in some of our provisions with these

I wonder what IV core members and our lobby firm has in mind

Alabaman
09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
talking about illegal aliens, I wonder where they would get day laborers to build the fence in the desert. Perhaps they would tell the "illegal aliens" to build from the other side so when its done....

Canadian_Dream
09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Since it is a high tech fence they might need a few H1B's too....That's a good reason to have the Cap raised :)

days_go_by
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
talking about illegal aliens, I wonder where they would get day laborers to build the fence in the desert. Perhaps they would tell the "illegal aliens" to build from the other side so when its done....
----
We all know how this will work out, contract would be awarded to a US Company. US company would pay "political contributions" to various senators and congressmen. Then it will subcontract parts of work to smaller contractors.
Smaller subcontracters will hire "independent" resources and work on the fence.
So, everyone makes money, even the "independent" resources, everyone is happy and people get to see a wall, a strong political statement.

GCard_Dream
09-13-2006, 11:14 PM
That's exactly my point. I seriously doubt that democrats can dare to oppose a security bill during election year and give repubs the chance to beat the drum that dems are weak on security. Dems get that alligation as it is and wouldn't give repubs another weapon against them.

1. Now the million dollor question is can some of our provisions included in this bill?

2. Is the IV team paying enough attention to this bill? I believe they are.

I am not sure how democrats can vote against this bill, afterall this is a post 9/11 world

so I see more chances of passing this bill,

my question we can sneak in some of our provisions with these

I wonder what IV core members and our lobby firm has in mind

raj3078
09-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Guess what, a recent study suggested that it will take 27 years to build a fence across US-Mexico border if they use LEGAL labour.... So my take on this....Unless they take comprehensive approach, they would never able to reform the system or anything of that sort...They all know that too.... After I recieved Pro-enforcement reply from Senator Crapo, I wrote to him in detail about how he is not correct...guess what, i never got any reply from from him again.....Makes me think that when confronted with real issues, these Pro-enforcement republicans have no answers.....providing the link below if interested

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1526

dixie
09-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Reminds me of Jay Leno's joke advising the illegals who build the fence to remember to stay back on the "north side" once they are done :D On a more serious note, unless numbersUSA deploys all its members to fence construction I dont see how it will be completed anytime soon.

nozerd
09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah and Canada border is more than twice the size of Mexican border wonder where they will get money to fence that sucker.

akkakarla
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
What about "Mission Accomplished" banners? I am thinking of starting a business of printing "Mission Accomplished" "God Bless America" :D

rick_rajvanshi
09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Committee: Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Title: Employment-Based Permanent Immigration: Examining the Value of a Skills Based Point System

Date: Thursday, September 14, 10:30 AM
Place: Dirksen 430

Audio / Video: Click Here to Listen / Watch the Hearing
Hearing File:
Click Here to download Real Player

Witness Testimony
Professor Charles M. Beach, Department of Economics, Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
Professor George J. Borjas, Robert W. Scrivner Professor of Economics and Social Policy, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University

Professor Douglas S. Massey, Office of Population Research, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey

Alan Tonelson, Research Fellow, The U.S. Business and Industry Council Educational Foundation, Washington, D.C.

GCard_Dream
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Is this hearing part of any bill to be introduced in the Senate or is it just a information gathering session? What are possible outcome of this hearing? Does anyone know?

Committee: Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Title: Employment-Based Permanent Immigration: Examining the Value of a Skills Based Point System

Date: Thursday, September 14, 10:30 AM
Place: Dirksen 430

Audio / Video: Click Here to Listen / Watch the Hearing
Hearing File:
Click Here to download Real Player

Witness Testimony
Professor Charles M. Beach, Department of Economics, Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
Professor George J. Borjas, Robert W. Scrivner Professor of Economics and Social Policy, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University

Professor Douglas S. Massey, Office of Population Research, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey

Alan Tonelson, Research Fellow, The U.S. Business and Industry Council Educational Foundation, Washington, D.C.

rick_rajvanshi
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Is this hearing part of any bill to be introduced in the Senate or is it just a information gathering session? What are possible outcome of this hearing? Does anyone know?

Looks like info gathering only : audio live now here :
http://help.senate.gov/

manderson
09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
CNN just reported that the fence act was passed in Congress.

Can anybody else verify this?

Alabaman
09-14-2006, 04:11 PM
CNN just reported that the fence act was passed in Congress.

Can anybody else verify this?.

josesantos7
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.html

The act passed with 283 yeas

nb_des
09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Doesn't matter it will not sail with Senate.

sbabunle
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
House did not give us CIR so we (senate)do not give the Boarder Security to you guys either :) :)

manderson
09-14-2006, 04:33 PM
It doesn't matter to us whether the Senate passes this Fence Act or not. We've got to focus on the next opportunity to get our objectives accomplished!

GCard_Dream
09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
I thought this fence bill was our next opportunity, if we had managed to sneak our provisions in it. This bill is as close to immigration reform as we can get this year. There is no other bill this year that even remotely talks about immigration. As far as repubs are concerned, security and immigration are tied together.

It doesn't matter to us whether the Senate passes this Fence Act or not. We've got to focus on the next opportunity to get our objectives accomplished!

sbabunle
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
There won't be any bills to help us this year. I called up Jon Cornyns ( SKill sponsor). I was told that SKILL is in the SJC's review. After that it has to come to the floor of debate. The speaker has to put that in calendar. Since the SJC did not complete its review its highly unlinkely that its going to be even scheduled for the floor. Same is the case with house.

There is no easy way out my friends. Only way to gather more power and try again and again. Instead of day dreaming lets recruit more members and collect more money and try again.

good luck to all

qplearn
09-14-2006, 05:26 PM
There won't be any bills to help us this year. I called up Jon Cornyns ( SKill sponsor). I was told that SKILL is in the SJC's review. After that it has to come to the floor of debate. The speaker has to put that in calendar. Since the SJC did not complete its review its highly unlinkely that its going to be even scheduled for the floor. Same is the case with house.

There is no easy way out my friends. Only way to gather more power and try again and again. Instead of day dreaming lets recruit more members and collect more money and try again.

good luck to all

That is bad news indeed. But can we not try :) to get the senators to make some amendments to the fence act?

alterego
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
This thing passed with 283 votes.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/3922347.html

Doubt it passes the senate or is signed by Bush. Political gamesmanship at its best.

Alabaman
09-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Lets look at this way... billions of dollars to be spent on fence, sensors etc... construction and instrumentation companies are happy and they begin massive recruiting for relevant engineers = more demand for High skilled labor... which comes back advantageous to us.

GCard_Dream
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Well.. that may be, but what we really need is some relief to get our GC. More demand simply means they are going to bring more people in but if the GC quota remains the same, new comers will also get stuck like us for years and years in this GC mirage.

Lets look at this way... billions of dollars to be spent on fence, sensors etc... construction and instrumentation companies are happy and they begin massive recruiting for relevant engineers = more demand for High skilled labor... which comes back advantageous to us.