PDA

View Full Version : getting GC is the only thing?

gc_in_30_yrs
09-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I have several friends who were waiting for GC desparately and they thought it was the final destination. They had many reasons why to get GC and once they get, they will be free and can do / will do everything possible. But, once they got it, they settled in a permanent job. Without GC, they were working for the same client with even more pay and life was good if not better.

I was thinking the same way; because I am no different.

Oflate, I realised, I am un-necessarily worried about something which is not in my control. I realised that I am well paid, with this pay even the benefits I am not getting are compensated. Why am I worried? Should I be after GC in order to get peace of mind? I started looking it little differently. I am in this country to earn more money and live comfortably. I am already enjoying what I wanted. Then, why am I worried still? May be it is in human nature to always look for something which is not in the hands.

I still need GC for other things like Children education and get some other benefits (our education / starting business etc). I agree, but there is lot of time for that in my case. There are several people who are in the same state as me if not all. Everyone's needs are different.

I thought I will just share my ideas so that atleast some of the people will be happier.

Alabaman
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I have several friends who were waiting for GC desparately and they thought it was the final destination. They had many reasons why to get GC and once they get, they will be free and can do / will do everything possible. But, once they got it, they settled in a permanent job. Without GC, they were working for the same client with even more pay and life was good if not better.

Oflate, I realised, I am un-necessarily worried about something which is not in my control. I realised that I am well paid, with this pay even the benefits I am not getting are compensated. Why am I worried? Should I be after GC in order to get peace of mind? I started looking it little differently. I am in this country to earn more money and live comfortably. I am already enjoying what I wanted. Then, why am I worried still? May be it is in human nature to always look for something which is not in the hands.

I still need GC for other things like Children education and get some other benefits (our education / starting business etc). I agree, but there is lot of time for that in my case. There are several people who are in the same state as me if not all. Everyone's needs are different.

I thought I will just share my ideas so that atleast some of the people will be happier.

So what are your ideas?

immilaw
09-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Well said.

mihird
09-14-2006, 04:31 PM

I couldn't agree with you more...

As long as you are able to do what you want to do in life, that is what really matters. I don't have children yet, so that's not my worry. My spouse is on her own H1 and I hold two jobs on concurrent H1s.

Between the 3 jobs, we make good money, own two houses in the US, one overseas and live a content life. That's our GC, the actual GC is nice to have but it doesn't bother us that much...I bet there are plenty of GC holders out there who haven't gotten as far as I have...in terms of working 2 jobs & owning 2 houses.

So the moral of the story is, GC or no GC, live a good life, be content and don't miss out on the fun...don't let the GC fever bring you down..

snhn
09-14-2006, 04:40 PM
You have 2 H1s, can you do that. Are you working full time on both H1b visas. Please eloborate on that.

Thanks!

shukla77
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I would like to know about two H1s too. How is that possible. Any links??

GCSOON-Ihope
09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Here are a few reasons why I want to get the gc:
1) freedom to change jobs to make a higher salary so that I don't have to work two H1 jobs simultaneously
2) freedom to change your career track into another area, which cannot be done even with AC21 (job has to be essentially the same position)
3) freedom to travel out of the country and back in without going to Canada/Mexico each year for revalidation, for not only personal but even urgent busines trips. I get to see my family and friends, and not spend hundreds of $ in govt and legal fees
4) freedom to quit a job because the company/boss sucks
5) freedom to make enough money so that I can take a break from any job for a while (yes, this is actually a possibility if you have a well-enough paying job)
6) freedom to have one's dependents take advantage of benefits like in-state tuition, and other benefits residency brings
7) and finally freedom from the immense stress that I will lose my job and consequently all the time I have spent waiting for my gc, perhaps uproot myself and have to return to a place where I may not necessarily feel is home anymore

So am I doing what I really want?
No

I completely agree with you, especially regarding point #7...
It's not about money but more about the personal hopes, commitments, everything we already emotionaly invested by coming to this country...
To me, holding that GC in my hand would mean that I haven't gone through all the ordeals I have gone through so far for no reason...

Canadian_Dream
09-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Most people here fail to realize the cost of immigration is very heavy at a personal level, especially in globalized economy. If we assume that average wait time for Green Card is 7-9 years (earlier it use to be 4-6 years) consier the following:

1. Professional Growth: This one takes the biggest hit. I know many people at my work who have got GC in past 4-5 years after the usual wait time, they have hit the wall in the career front. Their peak productive years when they were to rise exponentially are gone in waiting. Now most of them are lost in corporate America looking for a place where they can somehow make up for the lost years. I don't think they have found it yet. Most believe that going to home countries might help to find that niche and make up for the growth. This solution might work when the economies of Asia are growing at 8-10% but no one knows for sure in long term.

2. Financial Growth: A lot of investment opportunities are lost becasue no one wants to make a long term invetsment commitments in the state of limbo. Besides that most households have to live on single income source making their earnings below average household income. Even after getting GC one cannot make up for this loss. This creates a permanent under class and I not sure what kinds discontent it leads to.

3. Others: Family (Spouse's professional and others) and presonal stress that one has to go through during the wating years.

I wonder if there is a study outlining these impacts. This is become all the more relevant when the standard of living and opportunites at home are closing the gap rapidly. Getting GC use to outweigh these cost in the past (90's) but lately questions are bound raise on one's mind if this price is justified.

GCSOON-Ihope
09-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Most people here fail to realize the cost if immigration is very heavy at a personal level, especially in globalized economy. If we assume that average wait time for Green Card is 7-9 years (earlier it use to be 4-6 years) consier the following:

1. Professional Growth: This one takes the biggest hit. I know many people at my work who have got GC in past 4-5 years after the usual wait time, they have hit the wall in the career front. Their peak productive years when they were to rise exponentially are gone in waiting. Now most of them are lost in corporate America looking for a place where they can somehow make up for the lost years. I don't think they have found it yet. Most believe that going to home countries might help to find that niche and make up for the growth. This solution might work when the economies of Asia are growing at 8-10%.

2. Financial Growth: A lot of investment opportunities are lost becasue no one wants to make a long term invetsment commitments in the state of limbo. Besides that most households have to live on single income source making their earnings below average household income. Even after getting GC one cannot make up for this loss. This creates a permanent under class and I not sure what kinds discontent it leads to.

3. Others: Family (Spouse's professional and others) and presonal stress that one has to go through during the wating years.

I wonder if there is a study outlining these impacts. This is become all the more relevant when the standard of living and opportunites at home are closing the gap rapidly. Getting GC use to outweigh these cost in the past (90's) but lately questions are bound raise on one's mind if this price is justified.

You are just nailing it. Well spelled out.

alterego
09-14-2006, 05:28 PM

As long as you are able to do what you want to do in life, that is what really matters. I don't have children yet, so that's not my worry. My spouse is on her own H1 and I hold two jobs on concurrent H1s.

Between the 3 jobs, we make good money, own two houses in the US, one overseas and live a content life. That's our GC, the actual GC is nice to have but it doesn't bother us that much...I bet there are plenty of GC holders out there who haven't gotten as far as I have...in terms of working 2 jobs & owning 2 houses.

So the moral of the story is, GC or no GC, live a good life, be content and don't miss out on the fun...don't let the GC fever bring you down..

If the hosung markets turned down like the NASDAQ 5 yrs ago, and brought down the whole economy with it, then as a result of the ensuing economic recession you lost one, two or all 3 of your jobs and ended up in negative equity, could not find a new job sponsoring H1b due to the deep recession and your greencard is nowhere in the near future. Would you still feel as secure and happy? I am not sure what country you are from, but would you make a salary close to what you are making here?

Security my friend, thats what a green card brings. I applaud you on your courage and bravery in just taking a chance and doing all these things, you will likely be fine and get your green card eventually but taking risks can bring consequences as well. Many people are more risk averse than you.

immilaw
09-14-2006, 05:28 PM
You have 2 H1s, can you do that. Are you working full time on both H1b visas. Please eloborate on that.

Thanks!

Two H-1B's are possible if you can do two jobs. Most of the ppl file a concurrent H-1B for a part time job so you have one H-1B for full time job and the other for a part time job. The US CIS will approve a concurent H-1B for part time job for as little as 15 hours a week. Now if you want to file the second H-1B too for a full time job and have the physical ability to work for 80 hours a weeks then US CIS won't have any problems with that.

Be_Pragmatic
09-14-2006, 05:53 PM
I have beein the US for over 6 years yet I still don't have my GC. I applied for it in 2001, got laid off, switched companies and finally I'm with a company I joined 3 years go and my PD is Oct2004 w/140 approved on 04/2005 EB-3 waiting to file my 485.

I used to worry about this GC a lot and then said to myself a lot of +ve things and today I have really moved on and I worry less abt the GC today. I am doing great & more or less like what you are into : got 2 houses, one in India and the other in US, kid, wonderful Wife on H4, a great family and floated my own start-up in India. I have a great job here in the US too, working on my PMP cert and am also looking for a part-time gig here.

So, really, life is good. Here is a thing though, as some of our other friends had mentioned :the GC is all about Security, Free mobility(my client wants me to go to France, but I have been putting off b/c of Visa re-val and stuff) and Growth". Today, my client also wants to hire me and offer me a PM postion , but unfortuantely they don't want to sponsor Visas, not that they don't sponsor Visas at all. Although, I got pissed off after the Oct bulletin but I'm keeping my chin-up and hoping that I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel some day.

So, cheer up have fun, live life to the fullest and enjoy!!!!

OK, now can someone start a thread for Nov bulletin predictions :)

ciao

GCSOON-Ihope
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
My friend, it is easy to say: "don't worry, be happy".
You seem indeed to be in a very enviable situation. Maybe many are like you.
Good for you guys. Now, think a little bit about the others.
I am sure that we are also many stuck in a job/company that we hate and the only practical way out is the GC. Sad and frustrating as it is, it is also the truth for many of us.

h1b_slave
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Without GC, they were working for the same client with even more pay and life was good if not better.

i don't think settling for a lesser salary after getting GC is a wise thing to do & i hope you as well as most of the people here would not like to do that unless a person has outdated skills & does not want to upgrade or wants to accept whatever he gets without any efforts.

mihird
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
If the hosung markets turned down like the NASDAQ 5 yrs ago, and brought down the whole economy with it, then as a result of the ensuing economic recession you lost one, two or all 3 of your jobs and ended up in negative equity, could not find a new job sponsoring H1b due to the deep recession and your greencard is nowhere in the near future. Would you still feel as secure and happy? I am not sure what country you are from, but would you make a salary close to what you are making here?

Security my friend, thats what a green card brings. I applaud you on your courage and bravery in just taking a chance and doing all these things, you will likely be fine and get your green card eventually but taking risks can bring consequences as well. Many people are more risk averse than you.

A GC is going to make finding a job a lot easier & is going to make you feel much more secure than a H1 is a fallacy in my opinion. I think, if you currently have a H1 job, you have proved your worthiness in the job market. In fact, you are probably better off than a GC holder, since you are forced to be on your toes to maintain and update your skill set for fear of the difficulty in finding another H1 job.

I have plenty of (EB) GC friends around me who got their GCs through their job through the 1996-2000 .com boom, but now have trouble finding their 1st right job, post the GC. They missed out on the 2002-2005 housing boom, all the time while I, on a H1 was reaping the fruits of taking the risk and getting in while still waiting out on my GC.

Besides, in a global economy US jobs themselves are far less secure than during any other times in modern day history, so even a US citizenship is not going to make one feel secure with regards to employment.

What is going to make you feel secure ultimately is being well qualified & well skilled. For people with the right qualifications and skills there will always be a H1 job (or for that matter a well paid job no matter what the geography) out there. In my opinion, having the right skills and qualifications is one's security, and thats what I have always banked on while moving so forward on a H1.

vgayalu
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM

gc_in_30_yrs

Your ideas are like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

„Ÿ ‡p …X †Z-XA “X
’-œf ֪, u-{œ:„Ÿ >x M-թ ƪ-Ÿj X-Œ C-ê... ‡p F--¹-֪ Œ%-Œy XJ-ĩ Ÿ¹~-Œ 'ƒœ-Œկ ’œ ’-oq Ƣœ œ--X-„բš N’ ’Jh-*C. Œ “Xu¹ *-¹ ‡p X-šd 'td M-Ϣ-’Xj „uEo “XŒ-J-*C. >x-n- M Œբ“â’ ƢC-ho NP†d 殫¹ ƒǢš ’JhX ëœ ƒŸ “XŸբ. M Œբ“â’E Ÿ-„uXh ’JhX ëœ X{x ǪŒ …X--†Z-XA j--Ϣ’ †‘- G-ʢ-Ÿ-ʩ L-Ī. -ժ-„jX E--Ÿ ꪢ> ‰.‡-.Š. ’JhX G-*C.

gc_in_30_yrs
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
gc_in_30_yrs

Your ideas are like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

՟ p X ÆZ-XA X
-骜f ֪, u-{՜:՟ >x M-թ ƪ-j X-Ō C-ê... p F--¹-֪ Ō%-Ōy XJ-ĩ ¹~-Ō '-կ ՜ -oq Ƣ --X-բ Nǒ Jh-*C. Ō Xu¹ *-¹ p X-d 'td M-Ϣ-Xj uEo X͌-J-*C. >x-n- M բâ ƢC-ho NPd 殫¹ Ǣ JhX ë Xբ. M բâE -uXh JhX ë X{x ǪŌ X--Z-XA j--Ϣ 冑- G-ʢ--ʩ L-Ī. -ժ-jX E--ǟ ꪢ> .-.. JhX G-*C.

vGayalu - thanks for letting us know your ideas in the latest fashion.

these are my thoughts not ideas.

I welcome and encourage everyone to share their thoughts / opinions. I learned some good points from these posts today.:)

songlan
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM

hm... So why are you here, in Immigrationvoice ???

mihird
09-15-2006, 12:04 AM
hm... So why are you here, in Immigrationvoice ???

I too like everyone else on this board am in this seemingly endless EB queue (6th year in the GC wait). I was just trying to send a message to folks out there that carve your life based on what you want to do, and if you can do what you want to do, just take it a bit easy and don't miss out on the fun things in life while this wait persists.

I have gotten to the 2 houses and 2 jobs all the time while being on a H1 is because I never put my life on hold because of the GC wait. Just had faith in my qualifications and skills, and the confidence to be able to find a H1 job in case of a job loss.

Sure enough, I had a job loss last year and here I am - back on my feet in 2 months - found another H1 job and am making more money than the previous job. Only thing, is my PD got reset and the wait will get even longer...it is still not going to stop me from moving forward...I have more plans for the next 2 years including possibly starting a business with a US citizen partner. Am currently looking into the possibility of filing a 3rd concurrent H1 for that.

Moral of the story, don't put your life on hold because of the GC wait....GC is not in our hands...why worry so much about something on which we have very little control over. Too bad, this government doesn't care about this massive highly skilled workforce and are treating us so bad. That shouldn't stop us from living life at our terms (for the most part of it).

What we can control is our destiny and as long as we worry about that and give that a proper direction...GC or no GC...doesn't matter so much..

GCwaitforever
09-15-2006, 07:52 AM
In my opinion, having the right skills and qualifications is one's security, and thats what I have always banked on while moving so forward on a H1.

I agree with you on this part. Many people became complacent after finding a good job and lost their edge. This applies to even GC holders also.

On the other hand, I find it extremely difficult to penetrate the upper levels of jobs with just H-1B alone. Horizontal growth does not fascinate me any more. GC is the key for upward mobility.

cagedcactus
09-15-2006, 08:07 AM
You see, not all the folks that receive gc are able to utilize the benefits.
I have ton of friends who received their GC two years ago, and now they keep telling everyone that it is no different than being on H1.
All I tell them is I will trade my H1 with their GC, and all they do is Shut up.
Yah, sure, if USA allowed us and our better halves to work unlimited without any doubts of going back abruptly one day, then I would rather stay on H1.
But as we all know, that is not the case.
I have finances and places set up to start business. The only thing holding me back is this damn backlog. My wife has a masters in communications and held a better job than me in India. What is she doing now? Watching my newborn kid play, and offer volunteer services to local hospital.
I am damn sure GC could solve that.
If some people are not able to take benefits of GC, doesnt mean that they should assume the same thing with others.
Things are different with everyone.

masti_Gai
09-15-2006, 08:40 AM
who said that after a GC ppl would settle down for a permanent job. No way
after GC i need to mint money for my family & enjoy life too. I dont know about others tho. I will settle down in DC Belt area where one can keep gettin consultancy jobs one after the other and make a million. Most of them are Fed jobs for which one needs to have a clearance and for that one needs to have GC.
we can make a lot of $$$ per hour on such job. Assignments vary from 6 months to 18 months. What more do u want.
why work two jobs and burn our ass off...
we need to enjoy ur life too. If we only made money n neva spent it therez no use of it.:eek: :eek:

I NEED A GREEN CARD PERIOD!!!:) :) :) :)

nyte_crawler
09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
What kind of job is that that pays $$$ an hour? LOBBYING ? :)

redcard
09-15-2006, 09:34 AM
What kind of job is that that pays $$$ an hour? LOBBYING ? :)

working for Halliburton ?? or being an immigration advisor :)

seahawks
09-15-2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=gc_in_30_yrs]I have several friends who were waiting for GC desparately and they thought it was the final destination. They had many reasons why to get GC and once they get, they will be free and can do / will do everything possible. But, once they got it, they settled in a permanent job. Without GC, they were working for the same client with even more pay and life was good if not better.

very feel good message depending on who you talk, but it matters from person to person and situation to situation. When your wife cannot work, and she used to be working in India, when dont know where you are going to be tomorrow, from contract to contract, when your decision is influenced by your employers and when you wait in long lines to get an appointment in the counsulate and everytime you travel abroad, you take tonnes of paper with you, not knowing if enough documentation is proof enough to let you back in and paying 2 to 3k from your pocket in getting extensions and visa stampings and you have been waiting for the past 4 years and still dont have your labor cleared, and DOL shows its IN PROCESS or a standard email you get from them saying an analyst is reviewing, thats when you wish you had a green card. Why, spending 7 years if its going to be to get a GC can create a Generation gap, can create dents in relationships, your loved ones sacrificing for you giving up their careers, in this mordern day and age, just to fulfill your american dream sounds very selfish. To live with it every day makes it harder. The only thing to not send me back is, what if someday I have to start over all this again if it makes me regret someday, I should just waited a little more to get though this process:)

Feel good, but dont give up! Keep talking to people, send emails, letters to senators and congressman, support IV on their initiatives in how muchever you can, if you can is the tone we should set in this forum!

masti_Gai
09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
a couple of my older broz friends make like $220 / hr:rolleyes:

marlon2006
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I think it is nice that you are trying to see the thing from a positive side, but the reality is that for most of professionals lack of GC does make a big difference. As far as I people who wanted GC and once get it remain with same employer, I think that is a matter of personal preference. I can tell you that once I got the EAD - not even the greencard - that made an important difference in my life. Immediately I applied and got a temp/part-time opportunity, which provided me with additional source of income and job satisfication. My wife started working. I became eligible for Federal Financial Aid to sponsor my masters program. You can see how living in a limbo sucks.

Moreover, even if it turns out one chooses to stick with same employer after getting the GC, at minimum one can be eligible for unemployment insurance, get any job, etc.

Asian
09-15-2006, 11:33 AM
For those who already received GC, it is trivial. For us who have not received it yet, it is a life or death matter. So please don't play with it. I hate to meet the green card holder who brags as if it were nothing.

saturnring11
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Here are a few reasons why I want to get the gc:
1) freedom to change jobs to make a higher salary so that I don't have to work two H1 jobs simultaneously
2) freedom to change your career track into another area, which cannot be done even with AC21 (job has to be essentially the same position)
3) freedom to travel out of the country and back in without going to Canada/Mexico each year for revalidation, for not only personal but even urgent busines trips. I get to see my family and friends, and not spend hundreds of $ in govt and legal fees
4) freedom to quit a job because the company/boss sucks
5) freedom to make enough money so that I can take a break from any job for a while (yes, this is actually a possibility if you have a well-enough paying job)
6) freedom to have one's dependents take advantage of benefits like in-state tuition, and other benefits residency brings
7) and finally freedom from the immense stress that I will lose my job and consequently all the time I have spent waiting for my gc, perhaps uproot myself and have to return to a place where I may not necessarily feel is home anymore

So am I doing what I really want?
No

I guess black Americans could have said something similar 200 years ago: as long as I am fed by my master, he provides me with a roof over my head, and I work hard, I should be happy.
Today they would still be slaves.
To misquote Orwell: America is a free country, but some people are freer than others.

Moral of this story: Satisfaction and complacency are two different things

Interesting blog on the issue of high-tech slavery.

http://saturnring11.blogspot.com/2006/02/high-tech-slavery-in-land-of-free.html

ufo2002
09-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Horizontal growth does not fascinate me any more.

Hey, this sounds sig-worthy... can I use that for my sig?

alterego
09-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey, this sounds sig-worthy... can I use that for my sig?

Did you come to america for Horizontal growth...................ie to increase your girth?
You could easily do that in india these days. Some comments here are plain funny!

ufo2002
09-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Did you come to america for Horizontal growth...................ie to increase your girth?
You could easily do that in india these days. Some comments here are plain funny!

India has a lot of people with wide girths? All the images I see of India shows pretty skinny people. Or maybe I was looking at pics of Ethiopians....

alterego
09-15-2006, 03:00 PM
India has a lot of people with wide girths? All the images I see of India shows pretty skinny people. Or maybe I was looking at pics of Ethiopians....

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6069745