PDA

View Full Version : Why do We Want -GC...just a thought..

redcard
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Its very interesting to read about people’s different perspective about same thing we are all after.. lets ask ourselves.. honestly why we do want GC and I am sure we all would have multiple reasons for this in our subconscious but would not like to bring it to forefront because it would only undermine our own ability to fight it or make life more stressful.. but end of the day we all want this card.. for me I want it mainly for security and peace of mind…lets look at the different situations.. these might be extreme but we all might have thought about these situations atleast at some point in the recent past… .. and especially the people in the seventh year

1. You are in your seventh year… and you loose you job….what is the first thought that comes to your mind.. I got to pack and leave .. pack your home of seven years and all your possessions you collected, in two suitcases of 50lbs each and leave…forget the Flat Screen TV,, forget all the electronics and the two cars you love ... just list them in craigslist …

2. You have home which you bought with so much pride…what do you do? ..List it.. make a desperate sale in this falling market.. loose a ton of money and leave…and don't even talk about all the silk plants..floor lamps.. the furnishing,, they are for the yard sale on the Saturday..

3. You have child whom you love and have plans for them.. love the school.. are an active member in the PTA … all of sudden what you do.. pull them out of school, move them from the only culture and the country they have known the only President they know is Bush and the only national anthem they have learnt is "The Star-Spangled Banner"…to another place where they don’t even understand the language forget the culture, national anthem etc..

4. Think about your spouse.. they have adopted themselves to this lifestyle.. probably felt lonely when you moved here 7 years but now like it.. its time for them to move back…why because your don’t have a GC

5. Forget the Golf and Tennis you enjoy so much here …it was all a very good dream..

1. You are educated.. have a masters, have a professional degree.. but have been in the same position and department because of your long wait for GC, what happens… the fresh college graduate or the dumb blond who joined two years back and whom you taught how to log into the network is now your peer and you are still on the same desk doing the same job getting the 2% raise and working even more hard..so that you can keep you job..with a new dumb boss.. who thinks you are so dumb that you have been in the same job for so long time..
2. All your batchmates are doing great..some of them are now sweating to be VP’s having risen by changing jobs …. You are still years away from that situation.. what do you do.. stop attending alumni meets and envy the mails in your yahoo groups from people..
3. Seven years in US.. you have made your professional contacts.. and have a social network.. in which you invested your time and effort.. loose your job in the seventh year.. and all these contacts are nothing but an occasional international long distance call in future..

Last but not the least… flight back home to your country is not going to be as smooth as the flight to US was seven years back.. back home look for a job..learn the whole new professional culture …and then set up a new home,,new school for kids….why because we could not get a GC.. which was not in our control.. and because some stupid insane guy sitting in cave 10K miles away decided to terrorize the people in America in 2001.. and make life difficult for all the people..including people in H1...

We might all go back to our home country one day.. but the ride back home would be much more pleasant and happier of a choice we made and not because we did not get a GC…

Good Luck and lets keep up the effort... :)

bijualex29
09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
How came you know my life story.
I hope I am not the one in this world

genscn
09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Redcard,

Life is what you make it. No one force anyone to come to this country on VISA and work and be In GC line. Things happen in life. The way you are talking is as if whole world will collapse if you don’t get green card. No one would die because of that. Grow up and move on in life. This is just a minor obstacle in life. Smart intelligent people can make money and have a good life any where in the world. Probably you would face lot more challenge in life than this green card issue, which I am sure you will give your best to overcome. Don’t make this GC a big deal in your life. :)

I mean the way we talk on these forums are as if all our careers along with our family life will be finished before we reach 30-32 if we don’t get green card. Come on man, so many people faced so many disasters from WW1-2 to flood to hurricanes where they lost everything and still moved on to do great things in life and here we are depressed because of this GC?

Its very interesting to read about people’s different perspective about same thing we are all after.. lets ask ourselves.. honestly why we do want GC and I am sure we all would have multiple reasons for this in our subconscious but would not like to bring it to forefront because it would only undermine our own ability to fight it or make life more stressful.. but end of the day we all want this card.. for me I want it mainly for security and peace of mind…lets look at the different situations.. these might be extreme but we all might have thought about these situations atleast at some point in the recent past… .. and especially the people in the seventh year

1. You are in your seventh year… and you loose you job….what is the first thought that comes to your mind.. I got to pack and leave .. pack your home of seven years and all your possessions you collected, in two suitcases of 50lbs each and leave…forget the Flat Screen TV,, forget all the electronics and the two cars you love ... just list them in craigslist …

2. You have home which you bought with so much pride…what do you do? ..List it.. make a desperate sale in this falling market.. loose a ton of money and leave…and don't even talk about all the silk plants..floor lamps.. the furnishing,, they are for the yard sale on the Saturday..

3. You have child whom you love and have plans for them.. love the school.. are an active member in the PTA … all of sudden what you do.. pull them out of school, move them from the only culture and the country they have known the only President they know is Bush and the only national anthem they have learnt is "The Star-Spangled Banner"…to another place where they don’t even understand the language forget the culture, national anthem etc..

4. Think about your spouse.. they have adopted themselves to this lifestyle.. probably felt lonely when you moved here 7 years but now like it.. its time for them to move back…why because your don’t have a GC

5. Forget the Golf and Tennis you enjoy so much here …it was all a very good dream..

1. You are educated.. have a masters, have a professional degree.. but have been in the same position and department because of your long wait for GC, what happens… the fresh college graduate or the dumb blond who joined two years back and whom you taught how to log into the network is now your peer and you are still on the same desk doing the same job getting the 2% raise and working even more hard..so that you can keep you job..with a new dumb boss.. who thinks you are so dumb that you have been in the same job for so long time..
2. All your batchmates are doing great..some of them are now sweating to be VP’s having risen by changing jobs …. You are still years away from that situation.. what do you do.. stop attending alumni meets and envy the mails in your yahoo groups from people..
3. Seven years in US.. you have made your professional contacts.. and have a social network.. in which you invested your time and effort.. loose your job in the seventh year.. and all these contacts are nothing but an occasional international long distance call in future..

Last but not the least… flight back home to your country is not going to be as smooth as the flight to US was seven years back.. back home look for a job..learn the whole new professional culture …and then set up a new home,,new school for kids….why because we could not get a GC.. which was not in our control.. and because some stupid insane guy sitting in cave 10K miles away decided to terrorize the people in America in 2001.. and make life difficult for all the people..including people in H1...

We might all go back to our home country one day.. but the ride back home would be much more pleasant and happier of a choice we made and not because we did not get a GC…

black_logs
09-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Very nice!!!! What you wrote holds true for 99% of Green Card seekers, if not 100% Its very interesting to read about people’s different perspective about

mihird
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM

First and foremost, if you lose a job, it doesn't matter what your immigration status, life is going to become difficult for you and your dependents.

I lost my job in the 7th year of H1 but since I had well researched and planned for that scenerio before entering into the 7th year, I am still here in a new job with an anticipated 3 year extension from 2007-2010.

If a lobor from your previous job has been pending for more than 365 days, you are able to port the benefit of the 7+ year extensions to the new job. This will let you survive the 7th year job loss.

Likewise there is a "best possible" solution to all the hardships that you have listed above and that "best possible" solution will vary from person to person and hardship to hardship.

Life takes planning, no matter what your immigration status.

My friend who is an EB GC holder just sold his house and took a $40000 loss. Bad planning on his part. Purchased the house at the wrong time and sold it at the wrong time too.

Since he sold his house, he is forced to move and so his kids schooling is distrubed too.

Its been 3 months he has moved to his apartment and his other half doesn't like the apartment lifestyle after having lived in a house for a year.

Did his GC help in all this???

Compare that to me, I am not a GC holder.

I am sitting on $240,000 equity in my house for which I have no plans to sell.

I too was forced to move due to a recent 7th year H1 job loss, and miss my boating trips to the lake near my old house. My new job is a 100 miles away from my house so I decided to do weekend commutes to the old house, and still manage to hit the lake every weekend.

My better half also didn't want to move in an apartment due to my new job. Good enough, we leveraged the equity in our 1st house & higher income from the new job to buy a 2nd house near the new job site.

Did my not having the GC hurt???

GC or H1 didn't matter, good planning is what has helped me, and bad planning is what doomed my friend...

Asian
09-15-2006, 11:30 AM
For those who already received GC, it is trivial. For us who have not received it yet, it is a life or death matter. So please don't play with it. I hate to meet the green card holder who brags as if it were nothing.

qualified_trash
09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I am not sure any one one of the people who made the above posts have their GC......... I would actually agree with mihird.

if you plan your life, you can overcome most obstacles, not having the GC included. it is folks who do not plan long term that are in trouble

STAmisha
09-15-2006, 11:58 AM
OR

Have some backup like Canada/Australia/Singapore. Atleast you will continue the same quality of life with little lesser pay and continue with life

India is an option but the $$ amount for outsourcing is getting expensive and US is finding new options in China/Eastern Europe/Isreal/Phillipines, I'm not sure about future. I know this is just thestarting but in some time the tide may turn and India might loose in the race (hope not).

Currently India is booming heavily and I HOPE it sustains the pace!!

The common things we need to worry in India is the dreaded exposure back to STONE AGE culture (especially for women) and some common problems like pollution, too many people everywhere ...

Meanwhile sit back, relax and enjoy your life and forget what will happen tommrow. Take it easy and everything will be allright

sanju_dba
09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
I am not sure any one one of the people who made the above posts have their GC......... I would actually agree with mihird.

if you plan your life, you can overcome most obstacles, not having the GC included. it is folks who do not plan long term that are in trouble
Have it... and
-> Solid confidence of generating Income by...
-> jumping jobs if you dont like it / payraise,
or you got fired inspite of planning.
-> A side/primeline business if you need a career switch.
-> Buy house and dont get forced to sell house when u loose H1 job
-> Have "NO H1" job options in the list
-> Have your spouse eligible to work
-> Reap more entertainment...
-> No restrictions on International travel due to visa-
revalidation,renewals fear. Dont giveup for your closeones lifetime
events, attend n involve in it.
-> Now you have confiedence, so buy GOOD,BIG house and have luxury
time with it, kids room , entertainment room,pool , gym etc.,you
wont get this when u r in apt-living-dueto-h1-job-loss-fear.
-> Now with better house you may have short commute to your job , a
big PLUS.
-> Or if you are a moving person, then move around the nation every
year with new jobs and enjoy the world.

-- lots to say...

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Like the other guy you said, I have an equity of 200,000 in one house and 50,000 in other house. I still don't have green card. I have around 300,000 in
401k and 150,000 in brokerage accounts. My net worth is around 800k, most of my money is in this country. If I want to continue my lifestyle, I need my GC, that will secure my right to live in this country. AFter 9 years of tax paying and law abiding life, I think i have a right to live in this country, but with this stupid laws don't know when i will get my GC.

Madhuri
09-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree with Mihir. It is your life and you have to be always plan for the worst case scenarios, especially when we (legal immigrants) do not have any god father.
First and foremost, if you lose a job, it doesn't matter what your immigration status, life is going to become difficult for you and your dependents.

I lost my job in the 7th year of H1 but since I had well researched and planned for that scenerio before entering into the 7th year, I am still here in a new job with an anticipated 3 year extension from 2007-2010.

If a lobor from your previous job has been pending for more than 365 days, you are able to port the benefit of the 7+ year extensions to the new job. This will let you survive the 7th year job loss.

mihird
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Like the other guy you said, I have an equity of 200,000 in one house and 50,000 in other house. I still don't have green card. I have around 300,000 in
401k and 150,000 in brokerage accounts. My net worth is around 800k, most of my money is in this country. If I want to continue my lifestyle, I need my GC, that will secure my right to live in this country. AFter 9 years of tax paying and law abiding life, I think i have a right to live in this country, but with this stupid laws don't know when i will get my GC.

That is exactly the reason why I purchased my 3rd house (additional $125000 in equity) overseas in my home country. So that I don't have to live with the feeling of having all my eggs in this country.

For now, it servers the purpose of giving me that secure feeling of not having all eggs here. Later on, it can become a retirement house.

Again, its all about planning...

meg_z
09-15-2006, 01:53 PM

You guys are the exceptions, not the norm among H-1Bs.

ufo2002
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM

I just did No. 2!!! Yes, sold my home off recently and now living in apt. I am single and no family so I am more flexible when it comes to leaving the US. Also, because I have been in my field of work for 10 years and feeling a little bored with it and wanna go back to uni to try another field, but don't want to do it in the US in case I lose my job and then have expensive bills to pay.
With that GC, at least I can feel more secure, will have the ability to find a local employer while going to college, etc.

vrkgali
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Just because somebody's plans worked well , and some body's wife is happy staying home , all those GC chasers are now fools.
There are areas in USA where there is no appreciation at all in the real estate market , and not everybody is lucky enough to get the jobs immediately after coming on to the bench ., on H1B VISA.

In my opinion , 90% of the people on this forum have got all plans and ideas on what to do if there is no GC.But 100% of the peoples plans will be more successful ..if there is GC in hand.

va_labor2002
09-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Hi Reddy,
You did great with your money. You have solid investments and portfolios. You are very close to a millionare. Can you share your success story to us ?
What was your financial strategy ? Please share your tips and secrets to us ,so that we can achieve the same results in another 5 years !

Please ........

Thanks

sanju_dba
09-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Reddy,
You did great with your money. You have solid investments and portfolios. You are very close to a millionare. Can you share your success story to us ?
What was your financial strategy ? Please share your tips and secrets to us ,so that we can achieve the same results in another 5 years !

Please ........

Thanks
Please ............

anadimisra
09-15-2006, 03:02 PM

I don't know other things about your life but about 100% of H1-B holders that I know just dream of being 0.8 millionare.

Also, one thing I find conflictng is that we all claim so much having right to be in this country as Mihir mentioned, plan a retirement home in India or other home countries. But I have seen so many Indians with GC mentioning that they want to go back to India as soon as they become citizen . Honestly if I am in USCIS and know this, I am gonna make it as tough as possible for that ethnic group to get GC's.

As far as the question of spouse working or not, hell I do not want to work myself given a chance, why would someone feel bad about not being able to work, as log as we can provide them with all they want (Not only all they need).

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 03:32 PM
There is no big secret, except little bit of planning and starting something.
I came here in 1997(at 22), but was in school for 2 years, started working in 1999. As soon as I started, I put money in 401k. I married early in 2000(I was only 25 then), my wife already did her M.S by then, she started working in 2000 even before our marriage. I made her put into her 401k(max out most of the time), we also put into esop. Together we have 300k in investment assests in 401k. Then I started a brokerage account and put 1500 every month, that accumualted to 150k now.
I brought house early, as soon as I am out of PT, with in first year of H-1, it didn't appreciate much but I still have an equity of 200k in primary house(I took 15 year mortgage) and I brought another house, that I rent out which as an equity of 50k. I have some cash. I brought couple of plots in india and also constructing an house in my native town in India.
But i want to do something else, I am happy with my life, for last two years, I got into golf, tennis and exercise, trying to be physically fit. I used to worry about GC before, not any more, whatever happens will happen.
Except that I am not progressing ahead in my carreer, I want to do MBA and get into something else. Right now most of my money goes to day care for two of my kids around 24,000.
More than money, you have to develop right habits, be healthy and have positive attitude.
In my case, Secrets of my lifestyle are
1. Getting started early, buying an house at 26. STarting 401k early.
2. Marrying a girl, who is already working.
3. Maxing my 401k and esop plan.

anadimisra
09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I came here in 1997(at 22), but was in school for 2 years, started working in 1999. As soon as I started, I put money in 401k. I married early in 2000(I was only 25 then), my wife already did her M.S by then, she started working in 2000 even before our marriage. I made her put into her 401k(max out most of the time), we also put into esop. Together we have 300k in investment assests in 401k. Then I started a brokerage account and put 1500 every month, that accumualted to 150k now.
I brought house early, as soon as I am out of PT, with in first year of H-1, it didn't appreciate much but I still have an equity of 200k in primary house(I took 15 year mortgage) and I brought another house, that I rent out which as an equity of 50k. I have some cash. I brought couple of plots in india and also constructing an house in my native town in India.
But i want to do something else, I am happy with my life, for last two years, I got into golf, tennis and exercise, trying to be physically fit. I used to worry about GC before, not any more, whatever happens will happen.
Except that I am not progressing ahead in my carreer, I want to do MBA and get into something else. Right now most of my money goes to day care for two of my kids around 24,000.
More than money, you have to develop right habits, be healthy and have positive attitude.

LIFESTYLE?

All 3 points mentioned do not come under "LIFESTYLE".

anadimisra
09-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Marrying a girl , who is already working??????????????
If we are at this level of compromise, marry a millionaire's only daughter or a multi-millionaire's daughter (any number of kids) ;-) I'm sure you will find many.

or mary a citizen.

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I am trying to say something about my financial success instead of lifestyle.
But I have a good lifestyle too. I socialize, have parties all the time, have 2 nice kids and a nice house and a nice family. What else you want in life.
but after some time, you get bored by these things, you want to go up in your career(I am just maintaining status quo), want to do some other things, for which I need GC.

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I married her not because she is working. But because I liked her, we met few times, we talked, we liked each other, then we decided to marry. But she was already working, that added little bit to my financial advantage.
If you like a millionarie's daughter or begger's daughter there is nothing wrong to marry that girl

anadimisra
09-15-2006, 04:14 PM
But this is not the right forum. All I'll say is it's everyone's perception and cannot comment more because I don't know anything else about you. But even you compromised by getting your kids raised in day care. Many people might consider raising there kids fulltime worth millions.

I am trying to say something about my financial success instead of lifestyle.
But I have a good lifestyle too. I socialize, have parties all the time, have 2 nice kids and a nice house and a nice family. What else you want in life.
but after some time, you get bored by these things, you want to go up in your career(I am just maintaining status quo), want to do some other things, for which I need GC.

nixstor
09-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Buddy Reddy,

While I am happy for you and your success along with your spouse, I personally consider it as being at the right time in right places making decisions that were in your reach. I do agree that you did lot of planning. Most of the people here run on one income and spouses on H4/F1. So they dont have the edge you had/have. I might sound harsh in saying this but the matter of fact is that the 2 incomes lead to savings which lead to buying a home(s). 1 income, you wouldnt have done all these by yourself. I know several people with 2 incomes and most of them have done this :) Those who havent were the kind of folks who are happy having their 100K in bank rather raking up 200K in equity. I am sure there are a lot of things you can do with a US Citizenship.

IMHO, you are succesful in your own way depending on the situation you were in and how conducive the circumstances were. I feel that this forum is totally going in a direction where people are seeking some sort of solace in discussing stuff that doesnt directly relate here. Now that all of us had discussed about what we can do with a GC can we streamline our effort to what we can do to get a GC.

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
My kids didn' go to day care until they are 1.5 years old, then they want to babysitter , they started going to day care after 2.5 years. Day care is right place for kids after 2 years, because they need other kids to play, staying home is boring for them. I have personally experienced this.

nonimmi
09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
My kids didn' go to day care until they are 1.5 years old, then they want to babysitter , they started going to day care after 2.5 years. Day care is right place for kids after 2 years, because they need other kids to play, staying home is boring for them. I have personally experienced this.

Great memory! You remember your age 2 experience!!
No wonder why you're so successful!! ;)

va_labor2002
09-15-2006, 04:39 PM

Your planning and strategy was really good . I bought a home in 2002.Do you think buying a second home in this market is a good idea ? Can we cover up the mortgage with the rent ? What is your experience with this ?

Thanks Reddy..

nixstor
09-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I will be very delighted if folks can utilise the private message option to exchange emails and phone numbers to explore real estate.

va_labor2002
09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I will be very delighted if folks can utilise the private message option to exchange emails and phone numbers to explore real estate.
It is a public Forum. It is created for sharing ideas among the members. The success story of mr Reddy will give inspiration to other members to be successful. His information was realy helpful to lot of people.If it helps to anybody ,why do you want to stop this discussion ? If you are not comfortable with this,you don't need to read this thread ! OK ?

NNReddy
09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Low cost markets like atlanta, Tx can support rent. But high cost markets like boston,ca , your rent will not be sufficient to pay mortgage and other costs.

mihird
09-15-2006, 08:14 PM
It is a public Forum. It is created for sharing ideas among the members. The success story of mr Reddy will give inspiration to other members to be successful. His information was realy helpful to lot of people.If it helps to anybody ,why do you want to stop this discussion ? If you are not comfortable with this,you don't need to read this thread ! OK ?

It is created to sharing ideas among members - to resolve immigration matters - not to discuss other topics like real estate investments etc. It is okay to quote one's or someone else's progress in financial matters in the context of his/her immigration status, but to make a complete turn and just discuss the specifics of financial investments etc. doesn't have a place on this forum.

My 2 cents..

va_labor2002
09-15-2006, 10:56 PM
It is created to sharing ideas among members - to resolve immigration matters - not to discuss other topics like real estate investments etc. It is okay to quote one's or someone else's progress in financial matters in the context of his/her immigration status, but to make a complete turn and just discuss the specifics of financial investments etc. doesn't have a place on this forum.

My 2 cents..

I don't agree with you.

While we are waiting for GC,What options we have in US ? How to use our time more effectively instead of worrying too much ? This is what we were discussiing. It is indirectly related to immigration.

Take it easy Man.....Don't worry too much about the content !

nonimmi
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't agree with you.

While we are waiting for GC,What options we have in US ? How to use our time more effectively instead of worrying too much ? This is what we were discussiing. It is indirectly related to immigration.

Take it easy Man.....Don't worry too much about the content !

Yeaaah sure.

Mr. Reddy and labor 2002 can continue this real estate investments discussion and more like - child care, 401k, spouse selection and what not!!

And when it comes to **more** private matters guys plsssssss move to private room as not all of us can take it happily.

Cheers!!