PDA

View Full Version : EAD vs h1b --- urgent !

noone2day78
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi all,

I have received my EAD in oct 07 and my AP last month, with my spouse being primary applicant. Currently I am on h1b, however, I have a better offer at hand thro another employer who does not sponsor h1b. I was searching for posts on comparing h1b vs ead..but could not locate one.

Could someone enlighten me on this issue as to what wld be common issues that are raised if one switches to ead (other than the possibility of being out of status). I am presuming that if my spouse stays on h1b I can switch to h4 status if required?

Please advice..I need to make a decision this weekend!!

Thanks
San

dehradoon
02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

I have received my EAD in oct 07 and my AP last month, with my spouse being primary applicant. Currently I am on h1b, however, I have a better offer at hand thro another employer who does not sponsor h1b. I was searching for posts on comparing h1b vs ead..but could not locate one.

Could someone enlighten me on this issue as to what wld be common issues that are raised if one switches to ead (other than the possibility of being out of status). I am presuming that if my spouse stays on h1b I can switch to h4 status if required?

Please advice..I need to make a decision this weekend!!

Thanks
San

Has it been 180 days since your 485 was filed. You can switch if YES, Valid H1B is an extra umbrella when using EAD if something goes wrong with EAD. Honestly, I do not see any benefit of H1B over EAD except that it can be valid for longer period of time where as EAD needs to be extended every year ....

rockstart
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Since your wife is the primary applicant as you mentioned I dont think you need to wait for 180 days. Your employer is no way concerened with your EAD/ GC. But in case both you and your wife are working for same H1 employer then you moving might ring alarm bells for him but in case 180 days are already over then there is not much he can do.

iad2ead
02-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Weigh in with % raise and take decision. If its around 15%-20% raise with
good benefits etc then move..

cheers
Iad

gc_chahiye
02-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Weigh in with % raise and take decision. If its around 15%-20% raise with
good benefits etc then move..

cheers
Iad

the spouse is the primary applicant. The OP is dependent/secondary applicant
OP can take even a 3000% raise, change jobs to a completely unrelated field, do whatever he/she wants to do, whenever he/she wants to.

noone2day78
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Has it been 180 days since your 485 was filed. You can switch if YES, Valid H1B is an extra umbrella when using EAD if something goes wrong with EAD. Honestly, I do not see any benefit of H1B over EAD except that it can be valid for longer period of time where as EAD needs to be extended every year ....

So assuming that I switch to EAD, does this mean that incase for whatever reason our I 485 application is denied, I can re claim the pending time on my h1b ? I am trying to figure out how is my h1b an umbrella?

Becks
02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Once you strart using EAD your H1 will be terminated. If you want to switch to H1 again your need to apply for fresh H1 in the new quota. You cant renew because its terminated.

So try to switch the job with H1 transfer if your new employer supports. Use EAD only when you dont have H1 option.

So assuming that I switch to EAD, does this mean that incase for whatever reason our I 485 application is denied, I can re claim the pending time on my h1b ? I am trying to figure out how is my h1b an umbrella?

NolaIndian32
02-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I agree, you should stay on an H1b as much as you possibly can. The H1b is already approved and you can transfer an existing H1b to a new employer (don't have to get a new H1b). But if you invoke the EAD status, you will forever lose your H1b. If anything goes wrong with your pending I-485 and you are still on an H1b, you still have time to appeal and to work through the issues. But if you are on the EAD at this time, then thats it, you have no time left because your EAD is issued to you as conditional approval of your pending I-485. You need to weigh the risks and benefits in taking a job with an employer who will not sponsor you on an H1b.

Best of Luck

diptam
02-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Keeping H status for the Primary applicant (H1B) may sometime act as 'failover pair' ... But in these days of Highend Retrogression (specially if you are from India/China/Mexico) getting a GC would take 7-10 years - does it makes sense staying in H1 even for the Primary ??? .... I mean personally i've lived ( read 'did slavery') in US for sponsoring employees in H1 for 8 years and i wish to keep H1 as 'failover pair' but doing another 2nd term of slavery of 8 years till GC approval/denial comes - that makes no sense at all. Its a 'No-Brainer' ....

Moreover the depends - peoples who are new in this country 2-3 years and got EAD due to July Fiasco they can still continue H1 game but folks who already lived 6-7 years on H1B they can easily go to market and play... Advantage :- One advantage of EAD is that if you lose your Job there is nothing called "revoke EAD" like "revoke H1B" so you can sit Jobless and sleep over for entire 8 years if you want and able to do :) :)

I agree, you should stay on an H1b as much as you possibly can. The H1b is already approved and you can transfer an existing H1b to a new employer (don't have to get a new H1b). But if you invoke the EAD status, you will forever lose your H1b. If anything goes wrong with your pending I-485 and you are still on an H1b, you still have time to appeal and to work through the issues. But if you are on the EAD at this time, then thats it, you have no time left because your EAD is issued to you as conditional approval of your pending I-485. You need to weigh the risks and benefits in taking a job with an employer who will not sponsor you on an H1b.

Best of Luck

raj2007
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Keeping H status for the Primary applicant (H1B) may sometime act as 'failover pair' ... But in these days of Highend Retrogression (specially if you are from India/China/Mexico) getting a GC would take 7-10 years - does it makes sense staying in H1 even for the Primary ???

I mean personally i've lived ( read 'did slavery') in US for sponsoring employees in H1 for 8 years and i wish to keep H1 as 'failover pair' but doing another 2nd term of slavery of 8 years till GC approval/denial comes - that has no sense at all. Its a 'No-Brainer' ....

Moreover the depends - peoples who are new in this country 2-3 years and got EAD due to July Fiasco they can still continue H1 game but folks who already lived 6-7 years on H1B they can easily go to market and play...

Advantage :- One advantage of EAD also is that if you lose your Job there is nothing called "revoke EAD" like "revoke H1B" so you can sit Jobless and sleep over for entire 8 years if you want and able to do :) :)

I agree with you..it depends how much time is left on H1.he can easily switch to H4

watzgc
02-11-2008, 04:29 AM

Best of Luck
Hi Diptam/NolaIndian,

I have quick questions,

1. I'm waiting for my H1b extenion for employer A and grace period 240 days,getting over
2. can I use EAD (from emp A) till I get my approval for employer A ?.
3. Can switch back to same h1b extension after received it ?.

thanks for ur time to reply.

Dandruff
02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Once you strart using EAD your H1 will be terminated. If you want to switch to H1 again your need to apply for fresh H1 in the new quota. You cant renew because its terminated.

Hmm... I agree with : "Once you strart using EAD your H1 will be terminated."

what I dont agree with is : "If you want to switch to H1 again your need to apply for fresh H1 in the new quota."

You can reapply for H1-B but you are NOT subject to H1-B cap / quota.
It should not be subject to the annual cap unless you have been out of the U.S. for at least one year since you were last in H-1B status.

hth!

gchopes
02-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Can one have valid H1B (I-797 only) and then travel on AP and return? This way he / she doesnt have to get a visa for H1B when returning. Any inputs?

noone2day78
02-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Hmm... I agree with : "Once you strart using EAD your H1 will be terminated."

what I dont agree with is : "If you want to switch to H1 again your need to apply for fresh H1 in the new quota."

You can reapply for H1-B but you are NOT subject to H1-B cap / quota.
It should not be subject to the annual cap unless you have been out of the U.S. for at least one year since you were last in H-1B status.

hth!
ohh is this really true? can u specify a source for this ?

noone2day78
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

noone2day78
02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Dandruff said "You can reapply for H1-B but you are NOT subject to H1-B cap / quota.
It should not be subject to the annual cap unless you have been out of the U.S. for at least one year since you were last in H-1B status."

Is this true for ppl who haven't done masters in usa?