PDA

View Full Version : will you support Greencard quota for Masters degree holders

waitingnwaiting
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Should there not be a separate Green card quota for anyone with a USA Masters Degree in any field?

If USA does that, more people will pay to come to study in USA. Not go to Australia, UK etc to study. So more money to USA. And USA degree holders will be able to use this education and work in USA to improve USA economy. If they go back to their countries, then USA has brain drain.

If they have separate quota for H1, separate H1B quota for Masters Degrees, what is wrong to have one for Green Card?

Please support on this thread if you agree.

sys_manus
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
If the masters degree is from tier 1 or 2 schools I support else NO!

goel_ar
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
+ straight As only ?

why - only tier1 & tier2 ? should be based salary withdrawn- isn't?

sam_hoosier
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
There should be a separate quota for Master's degree holders with existing jobs in their field of study. That would weed out people joining random schools for a Master's degree just to be part of that quota.

dassumi
11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
And they should serve at least one year in the Military. :-)

+ straight As only ?

pd052009
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
+ straight As only ?

GC quota should be based on skillset(1,2,3), not solely based on salary.(remeber, we are talking about future salary here).

There should be a separate quota for Master's degree holders with existing jobs in their field of study. That would weed out people joining random schools for a Master's degree just to be part of that quota.
They should work atleast for 3Yrs(1st H1B duration) after OPT, in their field to qualify for the new quota. If they change the field during this time, they have to come and join our line.

ndbhatt
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I think ppl who have masters or above from accredited US university shouldn't have any visa restriction; meaning they shouldn't be counted towards their country quota. No cap for Masters from US University -:)

P.S. I don't have masters from US.

bhattji

goel_ar
11-15-2010, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=pd052009;2116961]GC quota should be based on skillset(1,2,3), not solely based on salary.(remeber, we are talking about future salary here).

we do have it : EB1/EB2/EB3. See EB1 is exploited by 'lot of' people (due to legal loophole) -these people have 4-5 yrs. total work-exp. & get half the salaries & are only 50% useful to US economy than tons of people stuck in eb2 & eb3.

(i know - it is all useless discussion ; won't result in anything).

skgs2000
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Separate quota for Masters = Chances of that being passed and implementation
date = Feb 31, 2075......:)

sys_manus
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
That is because I see lot of kids come to "what was the name again" schools with megre or no GRE scores just to land here once they get to OPT they get 8 - 10 yrs of experience out of nowhere and they are out in the job market. I can spend all day writing about them, the school and the quality of education but it is not going to do any difference.

thomachan72
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Should there not be a separate Green card quota for anyone with a USA Masters Degree in any field?

If USA does that, more people will pay to come to study in USA. Not go to Australia, UK etc to study. So more money to USA. And USA degree holders will be able to use this education and work in USA to improve USA economy. If they go back to their countries, then USA has brain drain.

If they have separate quota for H1, separate H1B quota for Masters Degrees, what is wrong to have one for Green Card?

My support for those with PhD but not for MS at this point.

smuggymba
11-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Would you have supported this if you did not have a masters?

manohar_lokh
11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=pd052009;2116961]GC quota should be based on skillset(1,2,3), not solely based on salary.(remeber, we are talking about future salary here).

we do have it : EB1/EB2/EB3. See EB1 is exploited by 'lot of' people (due to legal loophole) -these people have 4-5 yrs. total work-exp. & get half the salaries & are only 50% useful to US economy than tons of people stuck in eb2 & eb3.

(i know - it is all useless discussion ; won't result in anything).

I probably didn't get what you meant. So if somebody does PhD in a core engineering or science and works as a post doctoral or full time researcher in national labs like Argonne and gets paid half of typical software salary (Even prestigious fellowships like Seyborg sometimes pay half of Bay area software salary) he does not contribute to the economy?

sorcerer666
11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I think 'STEM" is the word here :D and include people from an "accredited" US university and not something like Trivalley University

shx
11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
The potential for misuse is too much. So I only support GC for someone with a PhD, even though I have a Masters.

snathan
11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
No...if its going to take the quota from 104K and if there is going to be any loophole.

go_guy123
11-15-2010, 09:40 PM
The potential for misuse is too much. So I only support GC for someone with a PhD, even though I have a Masters.

Even with that potential for misuse will be very high...you will see people doing "PhD" in bottom of the barrel university ranking places. In fact professors who give easy PhD in easy university will be in hot demand. Nowdays people try to do good PhD in good university as it helps in getting a good faculty position eventually...this will bringa whole new dimension to why people will do a PhD in US. 3 year PhD like in UK will get prevalant in US.

gk_2000
11-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Immigration and education should be two seperate things. NO support to categorize further on immigration, We should take out the country cap. It should be First come first serve basis. with necessary background checks on education and skills.

I welcome this sane voice

Come on folks, the reason we are suffering today is this mentality of whipping, punishing ourselves. Why do you want to go through the wall of fire, when people out there are trying the easiest means out? WHY? Why do you want to put us all through even more punishment? Please, drop these kinds of threads

I see that 2 people have given reds for this comment. I also see why British was able to enslave India

sunny1000
11-16-2010, 01:48 AM

Would you agree if your idea is implemented going forward (meaning people who graduate after your suggested law is passed, only will qualify) and not retroactively?

gc_check
11-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Well, first it was Consulting Vs Permanent, then EB2 V EB3 --> This was getting ugly when EB2 was moving fast, before the sudden pause and then USCIS announced no more movement or less than 2 week movement for every VB, and not "A Quota for US Master's or Higher" --> Well they are too many Ph.D's still waiting in line @ EB2-- not all qualify for EB1.. so chances are slim.. if you are from a retro county...

Only solution for this mess, that got created due to slow processing, erroneous VB on July '07, though helped many here with EAD, Labor substitution that used to exists, different processing center, RIR / non-RIR, different order for spill over from previous years and all ..is RECAPTURE of unused Visa and regulating the future process so new applicants does not have to go through the same mess we are going through..

Not sure.. We have been talking about RECAPTURE for many years now, but none happened until now... though we have tried again and again... may be very soon we can get out voice heard..

You can post any number of ideas in forum's.. but it is all easy said than done.. Think we need more focus and try hard to get one issue addressed at a time. A quota for Master's will not get you much ahead in the queue as there are too many "Master's" already waiting in the queue.. It is just my opinion.

bsbawa10
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I will support this quota only if it is for the University where I did the masters from. :)

go_guy123
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM

what do you mean by tier 1/2 ...who will give those ranking...you ?

jaithran
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Lol, how abt employers (exclude body shoppers) deciding on what category you should belong to based on your performance. Because just getting a Masters degree from US school doesn't mean you are better than a Masters degree holder from a non-US school. And this is often proved in many MNCs.

gauravster
11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Having a special quota for masters or any other criteria would be absolutely beneficial as long as it does not come from the existing quote (like adding 20000 for Masters on top of 65000). Having any additional numbers would significantly reduce the stress on the exciting queue. I do not think there should be any reason why anyone would object. If we can get any reason to add additional numbers, that should be welcome. Several other reasons can be there including the founders visa which was talked recently as long as they are additional numbers.

sys_manus
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
what do you mean by tier 1/2 ...who will give those ranking...you ?

There are a few rating available like the one below:

National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings)

Peace..

sanhari
11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Legal immigrants and visa recapture in the dream act, contact your local congress man or senator, using the following template
"http://immigrationvoice.capwiz.com/immigrationvoice/issues/alert/?alertid=19787501"

bigboy007
11-19-2010, 06:53 PM
enough is enough on good old Divide and conquer policy... collective we are will achieve something divided we are Definitely we will achieve some thing which is nothing. I support backlog elimination via recapture and removal of per-country limits . PERIOD. No STEM or LEAF or TREE... These are there for distraction..

amitjoey
11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Why is this topic being discussed. masters, no masters, eb2/eb3/ India vs china vs world. Who cares?
Do you think the politicians or their staff understand these nuances? do they understand any of the steps? I140/i1485/labor? NO. And nobody cares.

FOR ONCE, if we all get united and rally behind IV, NOT GET DISTRACTED, WE CAN ACHIEVE SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY.

There is a golden opportunity right now for once to eliminate all backlog

Please take the action item seriously and after you have sent emails out, Please encourage others to do the same.
Then take appointments at your congressman/woman/senators office next week. Ask them to support the two ammendments to the DREAM ACT. That is it!!

Do not talk about any other issue while at the appointment, the message we need right now is for them (the lawmakers) is to support those two ammendments, DO NOT DILUTE THE MESSAGE By adding/confusing them with other related issues or personal issues.

Imagine if we all are united and stuck to the message, next week and week after if there are hundreds (wish thousands) of us going into our lawmakers offices and asking for these -just two ammendments. The message will be loud and clear and they might just get it.
Imagine this vs the second scenario where members go in and are inconsistent and talk about all the problems in the Immigration-Universe- EAD Delays, Masters, H1/EB3/EB2/QUOTA?. They will not understand any of this and it will confuse them thinking each one of us has a small unique problem-

That is why we need everybody to be consistent and focus on the message. It will make them take notice and gain their support.

Jai_MD
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
how about anyone having

A. Masters Degree+3 Yrs US Experience+Permanent Job=Apply for GC
B. Bachelors Degree + 5 Yrs US Experience+Permanent Job=Apply for GC

Get Rid of this country limit.

Intel's CEO once rightly said that,US has to become mean as to who they want in this country, A person right off the boat(Asylee,GC-Lottery etc) OR a US trained and educated individual contributing directly to the economic system.

bigboy007
11-21-2010, 03:59 AM
there is no "Permanent" Job in us, I assume you are now atleast 5 years old or having masters degree... we already have these in place...

Why a asylee or gc lottery guy should be hired before a skilled person and he is not comparing apples to apples... no country limits and elimate backlog by recap anything else is waste of time ...

Jai_MD
11-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Bigboy please gets your facts corrected: and read the definition of GC through Job posted at USCIS website below:
"If you want to apply for a green card (permanent residence) based on the fact that you have a permanent employment opportunity in the United States, or if you are an employer that wants to sponsor someone for a green card based on permanent employment in the United States, you must go through the following processes"

We all know how permanent jobs are here :) It's just the way the immigration law has interpreted it.

His point was more in support to legal-Skilled immigrants that create value for US of A ;)

permfiling
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Ideally I support removing the country quota and allow ppl based on skill and education. Speed up applications filed in all categories. When education is being considered. there should be proper checks in place such as folks getting degrees from accredited univ not online univ degrees etc.

Everyone had got their GC's based on the existing choices let it be in eb1, eb2 & eb3 etc. If ppl see that US master's has edge over non US masters then ppl will strive to get that degree.

raghav0
11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with the majority of the posts here that talk about bickering and infighting that we have as opposed to remaining focused on our common goal. Just because someone had a bright spark that people with Masters should get Green Cards, is the USCIS going to honor that and change the rules to benefit us? I think we need to remain patient and focused on the job at hand. i.e - supporting the IV front liners and having a single voice which boldly and clearly talks of expediting the green card process. If we are not going to to act in unison, we are the biggest losers!

FYI - I have been in the country long enough and have gone through the pain of bungling lawyers and unresponsive management..so its not that I choose to be +ve since I haven't had any bad experience with this process!!