PDA

View Full Version : Go Obama!

Circus123
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
If given the opportunity of voting in the primary (democrats) who would you vote for ? Obama OR Clinton ...

On 01 April 2008, the gates will open for H-1B applications. H-1B visas are one of the most highly sought-after visa category for employers wishing to hire skilled foreign workers for positions in the United States. The question remains whether the landscape for an H-1B visa increase will become more favorable as America gears up for the 2008 presidential election.

Last April, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) received almost twice the amount of applications to fill the quota of 65,000 visas in one day. Because of this, USCIS was forced to use a computerized random selection process to fill the 65,000 places alloted by Congress. The 20,000 extra H1B exemptions for foreign Masters graduates of US universities was reached in only one month.

As most of the H-1B visas are granted for technology workers, companies such as Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, and Google have been lobbying Congress to raise the cap. They argue that the US needs foreign labor to make the US more competitive in today's global market.

Their arguments have not fallen of deaf ears, and with the upcoming presidential elections, technology companies in the US may get an ally to their cause in the Executive Office.

Both Democratic contenders, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, have gone on the record as being in favor of increasing the H-1B quota. However, Obama and Clinton both highlighted that general immigration reform should take precedence over a temporary measure of increasing H-1B visa quotas.

"As part of our comprehensive reform, we should examine our ability to replace a stopgap increase in the number of H-1B visas with an increase in the number of permanent visas we issue to foreign skilled workers," Obama said in an interview with TechCrunch.

"I have also supported significantly increasing the cap on H-1B visas because they are effective tool for attracting the best and brightest to America," Clinton said in response to a questionairre sent out by ZDNet on technology-related issues. "I support increasing the H-1B cap as part of comprehensive immigration reform," she added. However, she also supported a sharp increase in H-1B visa fees, with proceeds to go towards training American workers.

As for the Republican side of the issue, John McCain, the leading contender for his party's nomination, also feels that increasing H-1B visa quotas is needed to keep America competitive. While he said he would continue supporting an increase in H-1B visas, McCain feels that the most Americans would rather clamp down on immigration.

"I will continue to support H-1B visas, but, Im telling you, the American peoples priority is, either rightly or wrongly, and we live in a democracy, is that we secure the borders first," McCain said during a technology conference in May 2007.

Having a sympathetic ear in the Whitehouse over the H-1B visa issue would certainly help, but tech companies and other interested parties will ultimately have to appeal to Congress for a raise in the cap.

Until then, the window of opportunity will still continue to be a single day for companies hoping to bring in foreign talent to the United States.

HV000
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Neither Obama or Clinton DID NOT vote on any favorable amendment for GC/Legal EB Immigration during CIR debate last year!!! Correct me if i am wrong.

sunny1000
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Neither Obama or Clinton DID NOT vote on any favorable amendment for GC/Legal EB Immigration during CIR debate last year!!! Correct me if i am wrong.

Last year's CIR was not favorable to the EB applicants to begin with. If somebody had to blamed for that, they will be sens. Kennedy and Kyl.

Circus123
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Maybe there were some provisions in the amendments which they disagreed on ... Obama's logic seems correct ... Don't increase the flow in the water hose only , loosen up the water outlet for avoiding the gush ...

pointlesswait
02-14-2008, 04:42 PM
McCain has always been active abt immigration..
it was he and Ted kenndey..who tried to push the CIR..
Obama for i gather...is anti legal immigrants..he speaks what the american working class wants to hear(like a true politicain)! he will be a disaster as far as immigration reforms are concerned.

lost_in_migration
02-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Dick Durbin was among the very 1st Senator to endorse Obama. I would be surprised if Obama would go against Durbin's dreams of hunting H1-Bees. Obama also said we may be lacking skills but we don't lack people. So expect no good if he is the President.

alex77
02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
To judge the immigration credential, it will be good to take a look at candidate's websites and check Issues -> Immigration section.

Obama supports increase in visa number for legal immigrants. Hillary does not say anything about it. She does oppose guest worker program which allegedly exploits American worker by undermining their wages. Have not we heard it before from anti-immigrant lobby.

There was another article on CNN blog ticker sometime back which mentions:

"but the details of the study suggest the Clinton and Obama's voting records are not as far apart as they appear in the rankings. Of the 65 votes included in the study that both senators were present for, they only differed twice — on a measure that sought to establish an Office of Public Integrity to handle ethics complaints (Clinton voted no, Obama yes), and on a measure that sought to allow certain immigrants to stay in the united states while renewing their visas (again, Clinton voted no and Obama yes).

I think Obama is better in terms of pro-immigration reforms.

On Republican side, both McCain and Huckabee are sympathetic. Huckabee has more clear agenda on this. As per his website:

. Modernize the Process of Legal Immigration

Eliminate the visa lottery system and the admission category for adult brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

Increase visas for highly-skilled and highly-educated applicants.

Expedite processing for those who serve honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Improve our immigration process so that those patiently and responsibly seeking to come here legally will not have to wait decades to share in the American dream. Governor Huckabee has always been grateful to live in a country that people are trying to break into, rather than break out of.

Circus123
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
McCain has always been active abt immigration..
it was he and Ted kenndey..who tried to push the CIR..
Obama for i gather...is anti legal immigrants..he speaks what the american working class wants to hear(like a true politicain)! he will be a disaster as far as immigration reforms are concerned.

Well it is either Obama or Clinton ... There is no other choice we have ..
Select option A or B but not C(neither of the above) Now do we?

lost_in_migration
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
We don't have any right to make any choice:( If we had the right we may not be on this site posting all this on this thread :)

Well it is either Obama or Clinton ... There is no other choice we have ..
Select option A or B but not C(neither of the above)

Circus123
02-14-2008, 04:54 PM
We don't have any right to make any choice:( If we had the right we may not be on this site posting all this on this thread :)

Yes we donot have the choice. No doubt! However we may discuss who turns out as the gold digger for us...

HV000
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Democrats are almost useless when it to came to LEGAL immigration. Atleast Republicans will do something for LEGAL immigration. Voting record during the CIR is a good evidence.

mbawa2574
02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Democrats are almost useless when it to came to LEGAL immigration. Atleast Republicans will do something for LEGAL immigration. Voting record during the CIR is a good evidence.

You Got it !!!

bobzibub
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes we donot have the choice. No doubt! However we may discuss who turns out as the gold digger for us...

I believe that these numbers prove that either would be good for us.
http://opensecrets.org/industries/recips.asp?Ind=B12&cycle=2008

What we have to do after the election is tell the companies to call in favours after the election.

Aside from that, I hope Obama wins. He is intelligent, extremely eloquent and that should stick it in the eye for the few remaining racists in the US. Secondly, he is a new generation, third not as corporatist as Clinton. Forth, they should end the dynasty: The Clintons and the Bushs are like the Habsurgs and the Medici without taste.

mhtanim
02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Dick Durbin was among the very 1st Senator to endorse Obama. I would be surprised if Obama would go against Durbin's dreams of hunting H1-Bees. Obama also said we may be lacking skills but we don't lack people. So expect no good if he is the President.

I was gonna write the exact same thing that you said. I totally agree with you.

ups
02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
You Got it !!! Voting OSAMA is bad for immigrants and economy.

Are you talking about OSAMA or OBAMA?

bkshres
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Rather than supporting Obama or Clinton, I think its us who created this H1B issue last year. What I mean was, it was mostly because of IT consulting company who is hiring people wildly from US and lot from outside US. and everyone had to suffer from it. I only wish separate category to those who graduate from USA than those who are applying H1B outside USA. Students come to USA, work so hard and when its time for H1B, its been taken by someone in India or somewhere outside USA which I dont' think is fare.

And these IT consulting companies hire people wildly no matter whether you are in IT field or not because in USA, IT is not the only field. How about for people in other field. Because of this, all people suffered last year which never happened before. There should be strict quota for each company to file H1B.

leoindiano
02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I second that, there must be quota for US employers to hire US educated...

What would you expect from clinton? she want more H1B's, ...and more money for her campaigning and later some favours. she dont give a damn about greencards. Obama atleast have an idea about greencard issues....

Obama or McCain

pmb76
02-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I think Sen Mccain is our best bet if he becomes Prez. He supports CIR which involves increasing Green Cards for Highly skilled legal immigrants. The dems are just going to pander to the blue collar and anti-immigrant voters who think that H1-Bs are taking away American jobs.

Sometimes we have to be careful what we wish for !

RandyK
02-14-2008, 05:51 PM
McCain is the one!!!!!! Proven legislator that would look at our issues.

kevinkris
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Yes We Can!

Why don't your create a poll. Let me create one..