PDA

View Full Version : Approx. time for GC

HarishM
09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Hello,

I'm Harish. I've finished my masters in usa and working on H1-B. I applied for GC this year. Right now at 1-140 filing stage. I think I-140 should be approved in a few months. After that how long should I wait to apply for I-485?
I want to change my employer. I believe you can do that 180 days after u file for I-485. So can any1 give me an approx time when I should be able to file I-485.

With all this retrogression its really confusing and frustating to understand...
I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Harish.

pmat
09-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Depends on EB2 or Eb3 and country of birth. For Indians, it is a long-long wait unless a relief bill passes.

HarishM
09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Since I did my master's here. I think they filed my case under EB1...I need to re-check. If this is the case then how long does it take. Yes I'm an indian.

nomi
09-21-2006, 05:24 PM
If you have master degree and you are from india then there is long long wait time.

fromnaija
09-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Since I did my master's here. I think they filed my case under EB1...I need to re-check. If this is the case then how long does it take. Yes I'm an indian.

I doubt if a Masters qualifies for EB1. But if you filed under EB1, then you should be able to file I485 immediately as that category is CURRENT. Check and confirm the category your employers filed and post your question again.

ghost
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM

EB1, EB2 and EB3 depend NOT on your personal qualifications but on the job requirements, which are:

EB3 - BS or BS+<5 yrs
EB2 - BS+>5 yrs or MS
EB1 - PhD

Find out from your employer or from the job ad that you've been hired for. Good Luck!

masala dosa
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I doubt if a Masters qualify for EB1. But if you filed under EB1, then you should be able to file I485 immediately as that category is CURRENT. Check and confirm the category your employers filed and post your question again.

There is no way you can file under EB1
You can go max to Eb2 or Eb3
if its big co you work for then they will stick to eb3
if its some tolly molly software co then u get eb2
either way you are screwed.

Cheers

rb_248
09-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Dude,
There is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong queue unless the rules change.

Hello,

I'm Harish. I've finished my masters in usa and working on H1-B. I applied for GC this year. Right now at 1-140 filing stage. I think I-140 should be approved in a few months. After that how long should I wait to apply for I-485?
I want to change my employer. I believe you can do that 180 days after u file for I-485. So can any1 give me an approx time when I should be able to file I-485.

With all this retrogression its really confusing and frustating to understand...
I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Harish.

HarishM
09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks! guys.....All in the same boat then....Screwed.....

ghost
09-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Dont lose hope, I think you will be in a better position with SKIL Bill. In the mean time, help us spread the word and to gain some capital.

Cheers!

Raju
09-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Welcome Harish. We are in the same boat. The only way out of this mess is to influence some legislation and that needs lot of Money and Members. Help yourself by making more people signup and contributing money for the cause.

pa_arora
09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Dont lose hope, I think you will be in a better position with SKIL Bill. In the mean time, help us spread the word and to gain some capital.

Cheers!

Yes u will be in a better position with SKIL bill, but we dont know when will this be in or may be its not 'in' at all.

SO keep sailing in the boat with everybody.... ;-|

-p

gsc999
09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
---
Harish, you now know the "problem."

People here at Immigration Voice (IV) are trying to solve that problem by lobbying the Senate and Congress directly. Welcome to IV. Everybody is a volunteer, please spread the word among other H1Bs/ F1s and other potential employment based immigrants about this grassroot effort.

brb2
09-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Not really. I truly believe the Skill bill will be passed by mid next year to allow all STEM Masters to stay back and adjust status automatically like in Australia. There is a crisis in the US with very few students entering STEM and the US will very likely retain international students by hook or crook. This will also clear the queue for non US qualified temporary workers in the queue for green card.

The chances of the bill being passed in the current pre-election highly charged political atmosphere is minimal at best. But then one never knows..!

arrarrgee
09-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I have an MBA from India....EB2...PD 2005 dec..I am not sure if i qualify under SKIL bill...I have completed my 3 yrs of exp in US..cud some one clarify this for me plz...
thx