PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with USCIS' processing times update for March?

neamoni
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Any idea when the new processing times will be posted? They are over 10 days overdue (surprise!)...

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

dealsnet
03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Ihave observed, from december 2007, they are publishing around 28-30 of each month and put a date on 14th or 15th of that month. Shame less people!!!!
Any idea when the new processing times will be posted? They are over 10 days overdue (surprise!)...

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

CantLeaveAmerica
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, I know it's frustrating. I feel the same way too..I keep checking very 30 minutes..paranoid as I am..lol

webm
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Ihave observed, from december 2007, they are publishing around 28-30 of each month

Hoping is common for us..Lets wait..

apahilaj
03-26-2008, 12:52 PM
May be they will skip the posting this month since they processed s**t!

HereIComeGC
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
What are those processing dates used for? Does it mean that
even if your PD is current according to visa bulltin, they will not
process your case until processing date is also current?

webm
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Pls search in the forum,there are many threads discussed on this topic PD vs ProcessingTimes(Dates)

HTH,

stillhopefull
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi, I may sound like a moron and I may not spend enough time on IV web site, but I don't know where to start looking for it - can you pls point out a thread that has valuable info on PD vs Processing Times?
THX!

mhathi
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM

They do not look at processing dates to decide which case to work on. On the contrary, every month they print the receipt date of the earliest application that is still pending with them. So if you see the processing date is ahead of your receipt date, then they have definitely finished processing it unless it is stuck in some backlog. For I-485, NC was the biggest backlog, though now it is no longer an issue.

This does not mean however, that if the PD is before your receipt date, that your application is not being processed. Once again, this because the PD posted reflects the receipt date of the earliest application that is still pending.

senk1s
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Processing times probably dont mean a thing -
- as it gets 'retrogressed' a few days after posting
- no logic to it, people before the date see no activity, people who applied much later get processed

but that doesnt keep me from checking almost daily :)

Priority date = applicant, country, category specific - see visa bulletin@ travel.state.gov
Processing date = the date on the application that is being worked on 'now'

reddymjm
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Does It Really Matter????

CantLeaveAmerica
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
even if your PD is current according to visa bulletin, they will not

Yes, that is true. Depending on the service center of your case, you have to check the bulletin to see what stage of the 485 and 140 processing is going on..eg..if u submitted your 485 on July 1, 2007 and it goes to Texas service center and your PD is current in the visa bulletin, u then go on to look at the service center to see whose cases they have processed so far..if u see, say, July 10, 2007 on TX service center link, technically they should have worked on your case and you "should" receive a response if your PD is current.

see this link for eg:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/Processtimes.jsp?SeviceCenter=TSC

raysaikat
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Processing times probably dont mean a thing -
- as it gets 'retrogressed' a few days after posting
- no logic to it, people before the date see no activity, people who applied much later get processed

but that doesnt keep me from checking almost daily :)

Priority date = applicant, country, category specific - see visa bulletin@ travel.state.gov
Processing date = the date on the application that is being worked on 'now'

Well, the use for processing date is that if your priority date is before the processing date for some time and you get no update, then you are allowed to contact USCIS and ask them to check your application.

dealsnet
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Only good thing about Processing date is that, we can call USCIS to check our status. If you call when your process date is before your RD, they will tell you that , your case is not processed.:confused:

Well, the use for processing date is that if your priority date is before the processing date for some time and you get no update, then you are allowed to contact USCIS and ask them to check your application.

neamoni
03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Ihave observed, from december 2007, they are publishing around 28-30 of each month and put a date on 14th or 15th of that month. Shame less people!!!!

Wow... I had not noticed that "trend"...
I did notice, however, the letter that Mr. Gonzalez wrote in response to the NY Times' article... Then I checked the Processing Times once again, and... nothing! You would think that something as simple as an update would give great credibility to USCIS and would validate the assertions made in his response... *sigh*
Will continue to wait...
Thanks for your response!

neamoni
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Does It Really Matter????

Of course! If your PD is close to being current, and the I-485 processing date is ahead of yours, wouldn't you want to know how soon your I-140 would be processed?

The eternal "quest" with immigration... :)

BharatPremi
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Yes, in theory. But it does not follow that always...If you are lucky randomly they may process your case even if PD is not current.and viceaversa. And if you are extremely lucky they will process your case whne both are current and conclude the case.

bobzibub
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow... I had not noticed that "trend"...
I did notice, however, the letter that Mr. Gonzalez wrote in response to the NY Times' article... Then I checked the Processing Times once again, and... nothing! You would think that something as simple as an update would give great credibility to USCIS and would validate the assertions made in his response... *sigh*
Will continue to wait...
Thanks for your response!

Using your account on the USCIS web page, you can get it to send emails directly to your cell phone. That way you don't have to check it every day. It may not show you the change that was made, but when you get a text message from USCIS you know to check the site/email.

It beats my old cron job'd perl script that would hit the site every hour. :D

neamoni
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Using your account on the USCIS web page, you can get it to send emails directly to your cell phone. That way you don't have to check it every day. It may not show you the change that was made, but when you get a text message from USCIS you know to check the site/email.

It beats my old cron job'd perl script that would hit the site every hour. :D

That's a great idea! Thanks for the advice. :D

BTW, as of now... no update, this is ridiculous! They post near the end of the month, then label it as posted on the 15th. It is an insult to the public's intelligence. :mad:

dealsnet
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Well said.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the advice. :D

BTW, as of now... no update, this is ridiculous! They post near the end of the month, then label it as posted on the 15th. It is an insult to the public's intelligence. :mad:

vivekjay
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/press_release.cfm?id=E6AC4FCB-C344-4B98-9B87-D79D648D8F7D

"In order to fully understand the scope of the USCIS backlog and front log problems, we request further information. Our specific requests are contained in the attachment. The agency' responses will help us fully understand the scope of the backlog and front log problem and identify the areas where the agency needs the most assistance in alleviating these delays. It will be especially helpful to the Committee to have this information prior to your appearance before the Committee on April 2, 2008 and so we ask that you return the information by March 28, 2008"

The context of this was mostly for Naturalization delays but i think USCIS is trying to get their act together before the hearing on April 2nd and could be one reason why the processing dates are delayed this month. They wont be able to get away with throwing arbitrary dates like before.

sagis99
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/press_release.cfm?id=E6AC4FCB-C344-4B98-9B87-D79D648D8F7D

"In order to fully understand the scope of the USCIS backlog and front log problems, we request further information. Our specific requests are contained in the attachment. The agency' responses will help us fully understand the scope of the backlog and front log problem and identify the areas where the agency needs the most assistance in alleviating these delays. It will be especially helpful to the Committee to have this information prior to your appearance before the Committee on April 2, 2008 and so we ask that you return the information by March 28, 2008"

The context of this was mostly for Naturalization delays but i think USCIS is trying to get their act together before the hearing on April 2nd and could be one reason why the processing dates are delayed this month. They wont be able to get away with throwing arbitrary dates like before.

Hmm, there's a good chance that the USCIS spent all this month preparing for this, since they asked for a lot of information.

CantLeaveAmerica
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
They do not look at processing dates to decide which case to work on. On the contrary, every month they print the receipt date of the earliest application that is still pending with them. So if you see the processing date is ahead of your receipt date, then they have definitely finished processing it unless it is stuck in some backlog. For I-485, NC was the biggest backlog, though now it is no longer an issue.

This does not mean however, that if the PD is before your receipt date, that your application is not being processed. Once again, this because the PD posted reflects the receipt date of the earliest application that is still pending.

lovely explanation..all the while I assumed that the PD posted was the date by which they would have completed all 485 applications on or before that date...thinking of it..it's kind of the same thing

neamoni
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks for this great info, vivekjay, and I apologize for my ignorance, but what hearing are you referring to? Could you please provide a link?

Thanks!

optimystic
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

This is sometimes confusing. And using PD as acronym for Processing Date does not help either :)

Lets take an example. Here's my convention

PD- Priority Date
PRD - Processing Date

1) My I-485 case was filed on July 30 2007 at Nebraska
2) My PD is EB3-I May 2001 and is current
3) Say, My friend filed his I-485 on July 29th 2007
4) Unfortunately my friend's EB3-I PD is Jan 2007 (which may not become current for the next 10 years !!!)

Assuming Nebraska center is opening I-485 cases on a FIFO basis based on receipt dates, when they get to my friends case first, they will realise his PD is not current and hence put his case as PENDING. At the same time they will update the PRD for that center to be July 29th 2007 as per your explanation.

And then they will move on and eventually open my case and so on...But as per your explanation, the earliest application that is still "pending" with them would be my friend's case (assuming every case before July 29 is processed) and since his PD is not going to change for 10 years the PRD at nebraska will be stuck at July 29 2007 for 10 years !!!!!

They will keep processing thousands of cases filed after July 29th, but will keep the PRD date at July 29th itself !! That does not make any sense...It does not convey any *useful* information to the public !!!

I assume there must be a different interpretation of *pending* - A case that is opened and processible otherwise except for some "conditions"

Seems 'namecheck' was and still could be one of the "conditions". But seems unlikely that an uncurrent PD would be one of the "conditions" to keep a file opened and pending.

A case whose PD is not current is probably put back into shelf and is considered to be in a state worser than PENDING (if there is such a thing :) )for the purposes of PRD date update.

That seems logical.

[Note: The PRD at nebraska is at July 30 2007 currently. I made some assumptions for the sake of the example]

vivekjay
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for this great info, vivekjay, and I apologize for my ignorance, but what hearing are you referring to? Could you please provide a link?

Thanks!

The hearing is by the Senate Judiciary committee to understand the backlog in Naturalization delays but it could possibly address other backlogs too. Basically they are putting pressure on USCIS to process these applications faster so more people can vote this coming election. They are asking Chertoff to give them bi-weekly updates on the number of applications processed. USCIS is probably scrambling right now to all this info.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearing.cfm?id=3226

optimystic
03-28-2008, 01:40 AM

You seem to be knowledgeable about this Processing date stuff. Hence quoting you again on this hoping to get your reply !

Nebraska PRD was July 30 2007 until today.

Let me analyze this as per your explanation

1) I am assuming they are opening/processing cases on a FIFO basis based on receipt date.
2) In Feb 2008 they opened all cases upto July 30 2007 and initiated some kind of processing(name check, RFE, adjudication etc) on all these...and did not have to keep any of them pending.
3) Then they hit a case with RD July 30 2007, that could not be processed for some reason and had to be kept pending. Hence they updated their PRD for Feb 2008 to be July 30 2007.
4) They did not stop processing. They proceeded opening other remaining cases on July 30 2007 and also after that.

Now comes March and today.

- They suddenly moved the PRD back to June 08 2007 !!!

How could this happen?? If they were opening cases as per FIFO basis, they should have caught this June 08 2007 case back in Feb itself and their Feb PRD should never have been July 30 2007.

I think people have asked this question on other threads too..."How the *&%^ could a PRD at a service center retrogress?" if the definition of PRD is what it is...

Can some gurus please throw light on this??

I am pretty frustrated at this point...It was about PD all this long...and now this &%$%# PRD[processing date] thing pops up.

July fiasco messed up us "long time haulers" big time :(

purgan
03-28-2008, 01:53 AM
THe Demorats attention is only on the naturalization applications....more immigrants mean more votes....more votes means more power.

Who cares about us poor GReen Card applicants. USCIS will now divert reosurces from I485 processing to naturalization processing, and our processing times will keep on growing...from 6 months to 12 months to 18 months and so on....this has the effect of unfairly disadvantaging some immigrants at the expense of others.

I have all sympathy with naturalization applicants, but I think we at IV should launch a campaign to make sure we aren't getting the short end of the stick once again.

BharatPremi
03-28-2008, 02:01 AM
USCIS has just opened a new horizon for us to fight against... "Proceesing Dates".

1) First made TX slow and now completely stuck at April 2007
2) Now pulling Nebraska back

Guys now we will not have Name Check queue. We will have "Processing" Queue.

neverbefore
03-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi, I may sound like a moron and I may not spend enough time on IV web site, but I don't know where to start looking for it - can you pls point out a thread that has valuable info on PD vs Processing Times?
THX!

Here is a thread: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17535
:)

optimystic
03-28-2008, 02:25 AM
USCIS has just opened a new horizon for us to fight against... "Proceesing Dates".

1) First made TX slow and now completely stuck at April 2007
2) Now pulling Nebraska back

Guys now we will not have Name Check queue. We will have "Processing" Queue.

Its like from the pan ...into the fire...

Labor backlogs and BECs were nightmares just yesterday and now 'Processing Dates' and service centers are today's Horrors :mad: . I am sure at some point soon, they will re-institute some form of backlog elimination centers to process the backlog of July I-485 filings.....F*&%$#@ R3t@rd$ at USCIS...

Pardon my language guys but after 8 years of wait I can no longer control my temper...If I don't vent it here I worry that all that pent up anger might affect my day-to-day life.

BharatPremi
03-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Its like from the pan ...into the fire...

Labor backlogs and BECs were nightmares just yesterday and now 'Processing Dates' and service centers are today's Horrors :mad: . I am sure at some point soon, they will re-institute some form of backlog elimination centers to process the backlog of July I-485 filings.....F*&%$#@ R3t@rd$ at USCIS...

Pardon my language guys but after 8 years of wait I can no longer control my temper...If I don't vent it here I worry that all that pent up anger might affect my day-to-day life.

As long as per country quota will not be changed in addition to increasing the total numbers USCIS will play this "passing the buck" from one queue to other queue. Whatever queue will have to deal with law suite, it will be "improved" to give USCIS a chance to come up with innovative idea of creating a new one and thus circle will go on.

CADude
03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
It's never ending game. Sometime PD is not current other time RD is not current. It's SUCKS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

EB3, PD: July 2001, RD: July 2nd 2007

You seem to be knowledgeable about this Processing date stuff. Hence quoting you again on this hoping to get your reply !

Nebraska PRD was July 30 2007 until today.

Let me analyze this as per your explanation

1) I am assuming they are opening/processing cases on a FIFO basis based on receipt date.
2) In Feb 2008 they opened all cases upto July 30 2007 and initiated some kind of processing(name check, RFE, adjudication etc) on all these...and did not have to keep any of them pending.
3) Then they hit a case with RD July 30 2007, that could not be processed for some reason and had to be kept pending. Hence they updated their PRD for Feb 2008 to be July 30 2007.
4) They did not stop processing. They proceeded opening other remaining cases on July 30 2007 and also after that.

Now comes March and today.

- They suddenly moved the PRD back to June 08 2007 !!!

How could this happen?? If they were opening cases as per FIFO basis, they should have caught this June 08 2007 case back in Feb itself and their Feb PRD should never have been July 30 2007.

I think people have asked this question on other threads too..."How the *&%^ could a PRD at a service center retrogress?" if the definition of PRD is what it is...

Can some gurus please throw light on this??

I am pretty frustrated at this point...It was about PD all this long...and now this &%$%# PRD[processing date] thing pops up.

July fiasco messed up us "long time haulers" big time :(

mbartosik
03-28-2008, 01:10 PM
until today my I485 was 60 days outside the processing times.
Now it is not.
I had previously inquired (service request) what's up, I was told by phone they cannot even process SR because they are more than 60 days behind published dates.

Things that caused Nebraska to move back:
Transfers from Texas Service Center
180 day name check rule
Some categories moving forward in VB, and they had not been doing pre-adjudication.

The only logical thing was to move the processing date back, if only to reduce the service requests coming in.

I don't know if they still have to process my SR, it was raised when 60 days behind, but now it is only about 34 days behind.

This is some sign of some LIMITED attempt to process as FIFO for receipt date.

dealsnet
03-28-2008, 01:18 PM
New Process dates are joke. What they are doing in one month. Reverse processing. !!!!!!!:mad: