PDA

View Full Version : Issa bill

indiaj0nes
01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Issa Advanced Degree Visa Bill

Congressman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) introduced a bill last Wednesday that would give up to 55,000 green cards to foreign graduate students after completing degree from US universities. Advanced degree bill would eliminate Diversity visa program, which uses a lottery to encourage more immigrants from countries with the lowest rates of immigration to the United States and provide the those visas to foreign graduates.

Advanced Degree Visa Bill

CERTAIN ALIENS OBTAINING ADVANCED DEGREES IN THE UNITED STATES- Visas shall be made available, in a number not to exceed 55,000, to qualified immigrants who–

are a member of a profession holding an advanced degree obtained within the United States;
obtained such degree within the United States during the 5-year period preceding the date on which the petition filed under section 204(a)(1)(F) for classification under this subparagraph is filed; or
(II) has resided continuously in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status since obtaining such degree; and
(iii) whose services in the sciences or medicine–
(I) are sought by an employer in the United States; and
(II) will substantially benefit prospectively the national economy of the United States.’.
How Bill Becomes a Law

Right now Advanced degree bill is introducted in US House. In order for a bill to become a law, it has to go through following process.

Bill have to get majority vote in US House by voting.
Same/Similar bill have to be passed in the US Senate by voting.
Bill will be then signed into Law by President
How can you help?

Bill was recently introduced and it need to get momentum and support before US House will consider it for voting. Students who are studying in US are directly impacted by this bill and you should come forward to support this bill by contacting your lawmakers (House and Senate).

Each area in US is represented by 1 US House Representative and 1 US Senator. You can send email to them and request them to support the the bill. to contact them just follow the steps below.

go to
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
& lookup your congressman and send him/her the below -

Dear Sir/Mam,

I am an admirer and a supporter of yours. As a foreign student in US University, I am writing to urge you to please lead efforts and cosponsor the bill H.R.43 — To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program and to re-allocate those visas to certain employment-based immigrants who obtain an advanced in the United States. (Introduced in House – IH)

It will just take 2 minutes to contact your US House representative. Your 2 minutes of time can change your life. It can take upto 20 years to get Green card with current wait times and number of pending applications.

designserve
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I just wrote to the congressman...

Leo07
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
F1 Students and Indian Student Organizations can spread the word on this bill. Contact the lawmakers and spread the word, if you will.

Best!

forever_waiting
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Lawmaker offices receive thousands of emails every day. So emails might not always be responded to (at best we will receive an automated response based on the key words from the email we send). Please call your lawmakers office and schedule an office appointment. Then contact ivcoordinator@gmail.com to receive the lawmaker meeting info packet and guidance. All members are urged to meet with their local lawmaker offices and talk about overall IV provisions and this specific bill as well. My appt is on Feb 3rd.

princeusa2006
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I sent an email to congressman..

KVHTMBA
01-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I just posted the below letter and it took less than 2 mins.. Please send one if it benefits you and hoping this bill to pass or to consider atleast some part of it.....

Dear Honorable ********,

Good Evening!

I am an admirer and a supporter of yours.

As an employment based immigrant to United States of America I am writing to urge you to please lead efforts and cosponsor the bill H.R.43 — To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program and to re-allocate those visas to certain employment-based immigrants who obtain an advanced in the United States. (Introduced in House – IH).

The Bill is available at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr43ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr43ih.pdf web address.

I am in USA legally working for the past 11 years and I obtained an advanced degree (MBA) in US University (********* University), I contribute my part to the local community but the green card process is taking so long and at the current rate it might take another 20 years to get a green card, until then I have to extended my current visa and my children would have an impact on their education. This bill would help a number of legal immigrants, who obtained advanced degrees in USA and still on working visas.

I appreciate all your help in this regards!

With Best Regards,

glimmerOfHope
01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
"whose services in the sciences or medicine–"

indiaj0nes
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Please spread the word to students in your universities!

Student with no hopes
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Sent the info out to many of the friends i graduated with.

ravi.shah
01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I am in favor of any kind of legislation which helps ease the backlogs.. This bill is a great bill..
But giving greencards to F1 visa holders --- isn't that against the intent of F1 ?
While giving F1 they verify that one does not have Immigrant Intent...
And on entering US/graduating ...give Permanent Residency ??
Am i missing something here ??

amitjoey
01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Most likely it will be after the student on F1 lands a Job and is either on OPT or H1 that S/He can then qualify for the new Green-C

amitjoey
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Emailing does not help untill you have a relationship with a staff member, and they can recognise your name and face.

I emailed and wrote several letters for 2 years (2005, 2006, mid 2007). And never was noticed, always got some canned answers. Then, I met the staff and talked to them. I have had several meetings with them in the last 2 years. It becomes easy for them to put a name and face to the email address. And only after I met them, did I start getting attention to my emails.

So. Please atleast meet your congressmen once. Do a small 20 min. presentation. The material is all ready, you will just have to go through the points once.

GCVivek
01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I am in favor of any kind of legislation which helps ease the backlogs.. This bill is a great bill..
But giving greencards to F1 visa holders --- isn't that against the intent of F1 ?
While giving F1 they verify that one does not have Immigrant Intent...
And on entering US/graduating ...give Permanent Residency ??
Am i missing something here ??

How is "advanced degree" defined here? What does "benefit national interest" mean? This bill will need a lot more than just emails to congressman (which is a good start). Essentially, the bill is saying complete your bachelor's, come to the US on F1, finish 2 years of Master's, get a job (even at a family's business) and get your GC (all in about 24 months). Will be tough to get thru Congress. Imagine the backlog for this type of GC. I however, think this is way better than the DREAM act which democratic senators tried to push through last session by saying "this will help keep America competitive in the world". Really?? With 2 years college or simple GED, this kids were going to compete with the Chinese and Indian brains?? Wow!

However, this bill makes way more sense.

Anyone notice the slew of piecemeal bills being introduced? The CIR, PhD bill and now this Adv. Degree bill. Just at the time when Obama (State of the Union) said the system has had enough of peicemeal legislations.

gk_2000
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone notice the slew of piecemeal bills being introduced? The CIR, PhD bill and now this Adv. Degree bill. Just at the time when Obama (State of the Union) said the system has had enough of peicemeal legislations.

Really? I hadn't noticed that

petesampras
01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I have created a facebook page for Issa Immigration Bill..Please support the bill and forward the message to everyone..

Group name: Issa Immigration Bill

Goodintentions
01-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Dear All,

I think this is a duplicate thread. There was a similar thread referring this bill as something like "55000 Visas for Advanced degree holders" or something like that.

I am trying to recall what I posted against that thread -

1. Any bill which would help to increase visa numbers for the legal immigrants should be welcomed

2. For those in the EB categrories waiting for a long ling time, it is a good opportunity to appeal and present their case in good light

3. Meeting Congressmen or their "Immigration" aides is very good and will be helpful

4. This bill has now been sent to the "Subcommittee for Judicial Review" I am given below the contact details of all the members for your ready reference : -

DC Address: The Honorable Elton Gallegly
United States House of Representatives
2309 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-0524
DC Phone: 202-225-5811
DC Fax: 202-225-1100
Email Address: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
WWW Homepage: U.S. Rep. Elton Gallegly, CA24 (http://www.house.gov/gallegly/)
Twitter: @eltongallegly24

DC Address: The Honorable Steve King
1131 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-1505
DC Phone: 202-225-4426
DC Fax: 202-225-3193
Email Address: Congressman Steve King (http://steveking.house.gov/index.cfm?)
FuseAction=ContactUs.ContactForm

WWW Homepage: Congressman Steve King (http://steveking.house.gov/)
Twitter: @SteveKingIA

DC Address: The Honorable Dan Lungren
2313 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-0503
DC Phone: 202-225-5716
DC Fax: 202-226-1298
Email Address: https://lungren.house.gov//index.cfm?
sectionid=84§iontree=384
WWW Homepage: Congressman Dan Lungren : Home (http://lungren.house.gov/index.html)
Twitter: No Known Twitter Account

DC Address: The Honorable Louie Gohmert
2440 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4301
DC Phone: 202-225-3035
DC Fax: 202-226-1230
Email Address: https://gohmert.house.gov/Contact/default.aspx
WWW Homepage: Louie Gohmert (http://gohmert.house.gov/)
Twitter: @louiegohmert

DC Address: The Honorable Ted Poe
430 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4302
DC Phone: 202-225-6565
DC Fax: 202-225-5547
Email Address: http://poe.house.gov/contact/contactform.htm
WWW Homepage: Congressman Ted Poe, Serving the 2nd District of Texas (http://poe.house.gov/)
Twitter: @JudgeTedPoe

DC Address: The Honorable Trey Gowdy
1237 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4004
DC Phone: 202-225-6030
DC Fax: 202-226-1177
Email Address: https://gowdy.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
WWW Homepage: Welcome to Congressman Trey Gowdy | Congressman Trey Gowdy (http://gowdy.house.gov/)

DC Address: The Honorable Dennis Ross
404 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-0912
DC Phone: 202-225-1252
DC Fax: 202-226-0585
Email Address: https://dennisross.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
WWW Homepage: Welcome to Congressman Dennis Ross | Congressman Dennis Ross (http://dennisross.house.gov/)

Ms. Zoe Logfren
Washington, D.C. Office
102 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515

Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee
2160 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515

Congresswoman Maxine Waters
2344 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2201
Fax: (202) 225-7854

Congressman Pedro R. Pierluisi
1218 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515

5. Simple, signed ONE PAGE letters sent by post always have a better impact than emails. If all the EB folks send signed letters they will get more than 50,000 letters on their table. Imagine the impact!!! I have sent letters to everyone and have met the 'Immigration aide" of our local Congressman. The letter writing, printing, going to post office etc took about 3 hours of my time, but I think it is worth the trouble. No one will help us! We have to help ourselves!

6. Please view this as a very good opprtunity to plead our case. Opportunities like this come not too often!

Hope all our friends will participate enthusiastically and send letters!

Best wishes to the legal immigrant community!

GOD Bless!

desigirl
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
5. Simple, signed ONE PAGE letters sent by post always have a better impact than emails. If all the EB folks send signed letters they will get more than 50,000 letters on their table. Imagine the impact!!! I have sent letters to everyone and have met the 'Immigration aide" of our local Congressman. The letter writing, printing, going to post office etc took about 3 hours of my time, but I think it is worth the trouble. No one will help us! We have to help ourselves!

6. Please view this as a very good opprtunity to plead our case. Opportunities like this come not too often!

Hope all our friends will participate enthusiastically and send letters!

Best wishes to the legal immigrant community!

GOD Bless!

Is this an IV initiative? What is the common thread between the letters? If the lawmaker offices wants to contact someone on the issue, who is it going to be? 50,000 letters in a short period of time is massive, but if it spans for more than 10-15 days - it will not be effective imo. Just want to make sure that this campaign is an IV initiative.

desigirl
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM

tonyHK12
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Is this an IV initiative? What is the common thread between the letters? If the lawmaker offices wants to contact someone on the issue, who is it going to be?
Nope its not an IV initiative. Some donors had mentioned earlier that this Bill is dead on arrival. Many law makers support the DV lottery and anything that has a name like 'Diversity' is very hard to repeal.
It would be worth while if members could focus their energies on meeting house reps and talk about our causes, like Visa recapture, that can make EB dates current for a few years.
This would even help students applying for a GC to get it in about a year.

amitjoey
01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Dear All,

GOD Bless!

There will be a much bigger impact if 1000 members take those 3 hours and invest in meeting the lawmakers staff. That will be meeting 3 offices - It only takes an hour per office.

Over the years, we have learnt that letters and emails/faxes do not mean anything if we do not get face to face with the staff and talk to them about our concerns.

saikrishn2000
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
friends,

I see light at the end of this long tunnel called H.R 43.
follow the below link this was posted on Jan 19 2011. Looks like all the key republicans are on same page with this bill.

Republicans Introduce Legislation to Replace Visa Lottery with Visas for American Educated Professionals (http://issa.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=28&Itemid=4)

copy from the link:

WASHINGTON, D.C.– Seeking to eliminate the arbitrary Visa Lottery system that randomly awards visas to perspective immigrants without regard to job skill needs within the United States, Republican leaders on immigration policy, today, introduced legislation that would reallocate these 55,000 annual visas to holders of advanced degrees from American universities whose skills in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics will benefit the national economy of the United States. Selected individuals would receive permanent residency status.

“This is a step toward creating a rational immigration system that uses criteria intended to strengthen our economy for selecting visa recipients,” said Rep. Darrell Issa who is the grandson of immigrants. “America spends time and resources educating the brightest minds who come to our universities from abroad. In a global economy, if these educated individuals want the opportunity to become Americans, help our economy in key sectors, and be net contributors to our tax base we should afford them that opportunity.”

“To remain competitive in a fast-paced, global economy, American businesses must be able to recruit and hire the best and brightest students from American universities. In high-tech industries, those students are often foreign,” said Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith. By reallocating 55,000 annual visas currently awarded at random to foreign students with degrees from American universities, this bill helps keep American businesses competitive globally without hurting the American worker.”

“It is a serious national security threat to be handing out green cards randomly to foreign nationals," said Rep. Bob Goodlatte. "That is why I have introduced legislation for the past 5 years to eliminate the visa lottery program, and that is why I am joining this effort to eliminate the program and put the resulting green cards to a safer use that will actually contribute to our economy.”

“A lottery is by its very nature a gamble—in this case a gamble on our national security,” said Rep. Elton Gallegly. “I applaud Representative Issa for his leadership in taking the gamble out of our visa system and replacing it with a criteria-based system that benefits the U.S. economy while celebrating America’s diversity.”

This proposal will provide America with more skilled workers without increasing overall immigration levels. It will do this by ending the diversity visa lottery, under which tens of thousands of randomly selected alien applicants win green cards each year. There are various shortcomings and dangers posed by the visa lottery:

The most significant danger posed by the program is the risk that the visa lottery can be used by aliens who pose a danger to the American people. The State Department’s Inspector General has testified that the lottery program “contains significant risks to national security from hostile intelligence officers, criminals, and terrorists attempting to use the program for entry into the United States as permanent residents.” This is mainly because winners of the lottery need have no ties whatsoever to America, neither family nor employment ties.
The visa lottery is susceptible to fraud. In fact, some have argued, the very laxity of its structure invites fraudulent applications.

The lottery fails to advance any of the primary goals of our immigration system, in that it does not serve any humanitarian benefit, to unite families, or to provide skilled workers for the American economy. When tens of millions of persons seek to come to America, it makes no sense to distribute precious visas by lottery.

The bill also increases the number of immigrants visas – green cards – going to the “best and the brightest.” These workers will help American companies compete in the global economy. The bill will help ensure that we don’t educate foreign students in high-tech fields and then send them home to work for our international competitors.

A copy of legislation introduced today by Reps. Darrell Issa (R-CA), Lamar Smith (R-TX), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Elton Gallegly, Brian Bilbray (R-CA), Howard Coble (R-NC), and Tom Feeney (R-FL) is attached.

sunny1000
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
friends,

follow the below link this was posted on Jan 19 2011. Looks like all the key republicans are on same page with this bill.

Republicans Introduce Legislation to Replace Visa Lottery with Visas for American Educated Professionals (http://issa.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=28&Itemid=4)

copy from the link:

WASHINGTON, D.C.– Seeking to eliminate the arbitrary Visa Lottery system that randomly awards visas to perspective immigrants without regard to job skill needs within the United States, Republican leaders on immigration policy, today, introduced legislation that would reallocate these 55,000 annual visas to holders of advanced degrees from American universities whose skills in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics will benefit the national economy of the United States. Selected individuals would receive permanent residency status.

“This is a step toward creating a rational immigration system that uses criteria intended to strengthen our economy for selecting visa recipients,” said Rep. Darrell Issa who is the grandson of immigrants. “America spends time and resources educating the brightest minds who come to our universities from abroad. In a global economy, if these educated individuals want the opportunity to become Americans, help our economy in key sectors, and be net contributors to our tax base we should afford them that opportunity.”

“To remain competitive in a fast-paced, global economy, American businesses must be able to recruit and hire the best and brightest students from American universities. In high-tech industries, those students are often foreign,” said Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith. By reallocating 55,000 annual visas currently awarded at random to foreign students with degrees from American universities, this bill helps keep American businesses competitive globally without hurting the American worker.”

“It is a serious national security threat to be handing out green cards randomly to foreign nationals," said Rep. Bob Goodlatte. "That is why I have introduced legislation for the past 5 years to eliminate the visa lottery program, and that is why I am joining this effort to eliminate the program and put the resulting green cards to a safer use that will actually contribute to our economy.”

“A lottery is by its very nature a gamble—in this case a gamble on our national security,” said Rep. Elton Gallegly. “I applaud Representative Issa for his leadership in taking the gamble out of our visa system and replacing it with a criteria-based system that benefits the U.S. economy while celebrating America’s diversity.”

This proposal will provide America with more skilled workers without increasing overall immigration levels. It will do this by ending the diversity visa lottery, under which tens of thousands of randomly selected alien applicants win green cards each year. There are various shortcomings and dangers posed by the visa lottery:

The most significant danger posed by the program is the risk that the visa lottery can be used by aliens who pose a danger to the American people. The State Department’s Inspector General has testified that the lottery program “contains significant risks to national security from hostile intelligence officers, criminals, and terrorists attempting to use the program for entry into the United States as permanent residents.” This is mainly because winners of the lottery need have no ties whatsoever to America, neither family nor employment ties.
The visa lottery is susceptible to fraud. In fact, some have argued, the very laxity of its structure invites fraudulent applications.

The lottery fails to advance any of the primary goals of our immigration system, in that it does not serve any humanitarian benefit, to unite families, or to provide skilled workers for the American economy. When tens of millions of persons seek to come to America, it makes no sense to distribute precious visas by lottery.

The bill also increases the number of immigrants visas – green cards – going to the “best and the brightest.” These workers will help American companies compete in the global economy. The bill will help ensure that we don’t educate foreign students in high-tech fields and then send them home to work for our international competitors.

A copy of legislation introduced today by Reps. Darrell Issa (R-CA), Lamar Smith (R-TX), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Elton Gallegly, Brian Bilbray (R-CA), Howard Coble (R-NC), and Tom Feeney (R-FL) is attached.

Read the posts before you and then decide if you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like this bill is not going anywhere.

tonyHK12
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
friends,

It definitely is the train (to nowhere)

pappu
02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
It definitely is the train (to nowhere)

Very True.

pbuckeye
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
“To remain competitive...... those students are often foreign,” said Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith.

Inferring from the two points above, looks like this text is really old and perhaps talking about the same bill in the previous congress.

Lamar Smith is not the Ranking member anymore, he is the chairman.

And "this" Issa bill seems to have multiple co-sponsors but the current one has none.