PDA

View Full Version : Question abt I-94s

eb3_nepa
10-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi,

What exactly is the deal with the 2 I-94s? We get one with the H1-approval and one when we enter/re-enter the country. Now when we leave the country they automatically take then I-94 attached to the passport. What happens to the I-94 with the H1B approval. Are we supposed to give that away as well? I have left and entered the country 2-3 times but never surrendered the I-94 attached to the h1B.

Can someone please let us know how this I-94 surrendering and numbering works?

genscn
10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
When you leave US, your I-94 attached to your passport (Old One) will be taken and once you re-enter, another I-94 (with same number as on your I-94 issued with your H-1B approval) will be issued and attached to your passport.

Hi,

What exactly is the deal with the 2 I-94s? We get one with the H1-approval and one when we enter/re-enter the country. Now when we leave the country they automatically take then I-94 attached to the passport. What happens to the I-94 with the H1B approval. Are we supposed to give that away as well? I have left and entered the country 2-3 times but never surrendered the I-94 attached to the h1B.

MannyD
10-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi,

In the event you have a new 797 (with a new I94 attached to it), you are expected to staple that to your passport. You'd note that the new 94 WILL have the same number as the old one in the passport (if you've not travelled out of US in the interim period).

In this case I usually take out the old I94s and staple the new one in that place. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but I haven't had an issue until now.

eb3_nepa
10-02-2006, 02:04 PM
But see that is exactly my question. Say u surrender All your I-94 copies. however on entering they still give you a BRAND new I-94 on the airplane (assuming you are crossing by airplane ofcourse). Now That has a totally new I-94 number than what your H1B I-94 had. That is where i get confused.

In the event you have a new 797 (with a new I94 attached to it), you are expected to staple that to your passport. You'd note that the new 94 WILL have the same number as the old one in the passport (if you've not travelled out of US in the interim period).

In this case I usually take out the old I94s and staple the new one in that place. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but I haven't had an issue until now.

starving_dog
10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
When I was H1-B, I never surrendered my I-94 and kept re-using my original. I crossed the border at least 25 times without any problem.

eb3_nepa
10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
It should be pointed out that starving dog is a cdn, and thus he is not required to give up I-94 when visiting canada.

Even if the flight staff hand you a new I-94, you are supposed to FILL IN the numbers from your previous I-94. That is why there are blanks spaces on the I-94.

Well thats kinda hard to do right since you dont have ur I-94 anymore;)?

sunny
10-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I am not sure if the I-94 you receive along with your H1 approval means anything.
Also it’s your responsibility to hand over your stamped I-94 while leaving the country at the airport. When you arrive the new one you get in the plane will be stamped and should be used.

MannyD
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
But see that is exactly my question. Say u surrender All your I-94 copies. however on entering they still give you a BRAND new I-94 on the airplane (assuming you are crossing by airplane ofcourse). Now That has a totally new I-94 number than what your H1B I-94 had. That is where i get confused.

Crudely stated, I94 indicates the date by which you ought to leave US and is given to you when you land in the US - so you will have a new I94 number every time you enter US. I don't think you should bother about more than two I94s at any time. One will be the one on your passport and the other in your newest H1B approval in case you have an approval after your entry into US. Let's say you are one of the "happy" folks who have to extend H1B every year: So here, when you leave US you submit the I94 from the H1B approval document (I797) that you'd be using to get your visa stamped abroad. When you land you'd get a new I94 that's valid until the date in the I797 (= visa expiry date now in your passport).

gg_ny
10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I can't imagine why people do not want to give whatever I-94 they had collected between two trips out of US. NOt sure of the rules, but the common procedure is to surrender original I-94 AND the ones you got with each H1B. I haven't heard so far that I-94's not returned gained monetary value on ebay or people could use them for anything else. For me, I see surrendering all of them as one ( or some) more document(s) not to worry about.

waitnwatch
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
When you get a new H1-B approval you get a new I94 too in the mail .You are supposed to staple it to the old I-94 (I think this instruction is contained somewhere within the new I-94). When you leave the US you are supposed to hand over both I-94 cards (no exceptions). When you come back you get a new I-94 at immigration. The I-94 is a entry/exit departure tracking mechanism and if this record does not show up correctly when you are coming back in you may be in for some problems.

gc_in_30_yrs
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM
That is why you ALWAYS should keep a copy of ANY I-94 you are issued, whether at the border, the airport, or as part of your I-129 approval.

This also serves the purpose of proving that you maintained legal status throughout your adjustment period, AND should you need to cliam back time against your H1-B 6-year clock, you have concrete proof of every entry (and USCIS can match this against their proof of your departures).

This is not rocket science, people.

Ofcourse, this is not rocket science. But we need to take a copy of all I-94's we received is new to most of us. I recently came to know that I need to have all of these copied before surrendering before leaving the country.

eb3_nepa
10-03-2006, 02:44 PM
If you did not know about this, then whomever was advising you did you a disservice.

I dont think it is a question of disservice. I mean if they want you to keep a copy of all the I-94s they shud atleast mention that ON the I-94.

MannyD
10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I can't imagine why people do not want to give whatever I-94 they had collected between two trips out of US. NOt sure of the rules, but the common procedure is to surrender original I-94 AND the ones you got with each H1B. I haven't heard so far that I-94's not returned gained monetary value on ebay or people could use them for anything else. For me, I see surrendering all of them as one ( or some) more document(s) not to worry about.

I feel returning more than one I94 carries its own risks. Who takes it from you? - The airline representative who simply rips off these and shoves it in a cardbox box. By some chance if the newer I94 is overlooked by anyone and a older I94 that also surrendered is entered in your immi records, I'm sure you'd rue that day! Yes, keeping a copy of that I94 is good, but why not prevent the issue at POS?

Gurus, is there any requirement to surrender ALL I94s?